Peripheral Vision | ✓ [NOW PU...

By Eclipsityy

*~*~* REWRITTEN AND PUBLISHED AS HUNTINGTON AVENUE ON MY PROFILE *~*~* Zachary West has it all. Near-perfect... More

PV REWRITE: Huntington Avenue
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Epilogue
A Note From The Author
☆ Bonus Chapter ☆

Chapter 25

1.6K 77 10
By Eclipsityy

C H A P T E R  T W E N T Y - F I V E

Zach's P.O.V.

I could still feel the anxiety in my chest even though the stressful part was over. I finally asked Kelsey to be my girlfriend and it feels amazing that she can actually tolerate me enough to say yes. It was a bit unexpected, but I thought it was worth a shot. I'm glad I took it.

"So, are you and Kelsey a thing now?" Ryan asked as we both sat down at the lunch table.

I nodded, Kelsey and I exchanging a knowing smile. She truly is one of the nicest people I've ever met, and I'm extremely lucky to have her as my first girlfriend.

"That's cute," he whispered jokingly to Marco, not thinking I heard his comment.

"I heard that," I exclaimed, flashing him a smile.

Ryan studied me closer, a confused look on his face. "Is something different with your eyes?" he asked, looking right into them. "They look....clearer."

"Guess," I replied, giving him a playful look. I found it amusing that he was trying so hard to guess.

Ryan gave me yet another look, seeming to be thinking when Luke jokingly smacked him on the back of the head, lightly of course.

"Don't you realize he's looking right at you?" he inquired, motioning towards me. "Zach can see, you idiot!" He meant that in a teasing manner.

A smile grew across Ryan and Marco's faces as they turned back towards me. I don't like being the center of attention, so I turned my gaze towards my lap, slightly embarrassed. I felt Kelsey gently squeeze my hand in support and I glanced over at her comforting smile.

"Why do you look so vulnerable, Zach?" Ryan asked with a grin on his lips. "That's great news!"

"Yeah, I guess it is," I replied, a small smile forming on my face. "Sorry, I just don't like being the center of attention," I added on, reflecting my thoughts.

"It's okay," Kelsey reassured comfortingly. "We can talk about something else."

"Thanks," I whispered as the table erupted into chatter.

I remained quiet as I took a few glances around the massive lunchroom. I quickly noticed Amelia and her friends, whom I can't stand. They're probably the most annoying people I know, especially since they put Kelsey as their bullying target. I absolutely hate that. Amelia acts like she runs the place and I don't understand how so many people like her.

She's a jerk.

I then realized that I haven't seen, nor heard my least favorite person in this building: Jonathan, which is weird. I normally run into him before lunch.

I let out a small sigh as I listened to everyone's chatter from around the table, attempting to not think about it. Almost like it was on cue, I heard his voice appear out of nowhere, and I tensed up.

"You okay..?" Kelsey inquired, noticing my distinct fear.

Before I could retaliate, Jonathan was at our table. I didn't dare to lift my eyes in the anxiety that I would automatically be judged by who was standing directly behind me.

"Well, look who we have here," he exclaimed in a mocking tone. "It's the band of losers."

My gaze snapped upwards to meet the eyes of someone who I definitely didn't want to mess with. Jonathan seemed to tower over everyone, especially me since I'm not the tallest of guys at this school, my height being about five foot seven to five foot eight.

In his eyes was hostility, a smirk plastered upon his face. I felt my confidence become as thin as a piece of paper. I tried my best to conceal it.

"What is it, Jonathan?" I inquired, in the best attempt I could to make my voice sound like it wasn't wavering in anxiety.

"So, you're actually choosing to make eye contact this time?" Jonathan sneered. "I thought you had a sight impairment," he sneered, emphasizing his last two words mockingly.

"He doesn't anymore," Kelsey replied for me, her voice much more polite than I had expected it to be. "That's fixed."

Jonathan's eyes flickered from me to Kelsey and back. "Such a wimp to have your 'girlfriend' defend you," he scoffed, rolling his eyes.

"I don't appreciate your sarcasm," I countered, remaining as calm as I could.

I glanced down, noticing Jonathan's fist tighten. Normally, I wouldn't know what was going on, but I felt more prepared this time. Without any warning, I saw his fist reach up and throttle straight for my face. Somehow expecting it, I firmly grabbed Jonathan's wrist, stopping him in his tracks.

"What's this all about?" I asked cooly, staring him right in the eyes.

Jonathan remained quiet, clenching his teeth in fury.

He must've still thought I was blind, and that I was faking the whole thing about being able to see again. That's pathetic.

At that moment, I felt extremely proud of myself for actually defending myself for once. All of this felt very new to me, and I loved the feeling of seeming more independent.

"What exactly are you trying to do?" I repeated, tightening my grip on his wrist.

"Nothing," he mumbled, looking a bit embarrassed. "Let go of me, loser."

I slightly loosened my grip and he wrenched his arm out of my grasp right before he stormed off. I turned my gaze back towards my friends around the table and everyone started laughing.

Jonathan seems like the loser now.

"That was smooth," Luke mumbled under his breath, mocking Jonathan's actions.

I gave him a small smile, relieved that my first time visibly seeing Jonathan didn't go as badly as I had expected.

I love my new life..

~•~•~

"Was school okay?" my mom inquired as I stepped into the front seat of her car.

"Different," I replied while taking one more look at the massive building next to me. "However a good different. Overwhelming maybe."

"Hi Zach!" chirped Hayleigh from behind me.

I set my book bag in between my feet as I turned around, meeting Hayleigh's welcoming eyes. Her long, curly hair framed her pretty face perfectly, and I smiled, thinking about how lucky I am to have such a loving sister.

But she's not my sister. Not my real one, anyway.

I quickly stopped myself before my subconscious could taunt me any further. I was not going to ruin my already good day.

"Hi, Hayleigh!" I replied cheerfully. "How was school?"

"More addition and subtraction," she stated, throwing her arms up in exasperation. "Why can't Mrs. Collins give me a break?"

Hayleigh rants to me almost daily about her 'horrible' second grade teacher known by Mrs. Collins. It's so difficult not to laugh since she's only seven, and she'll understand how important education is in time.

"It'll get easier, Hayleigh, I promise," I responded with a reassuring smile on my face. "I can help with your homework if you want."

"Please?" she asked with puppy dog eyes. "I need it."

"Why are you asking me? I offered," I replied with a teasing expression.

"Yay!" she exclaimed excitedly, and I was glad that I was able to help her.

I chuckled while turning my gaze towards the side window. Watching the many colors and sights pass by will never get old for as long as I live. I vaguely listened to Hayleigh rant more about her teacher, but I didn't really pay attention. I was too busy trying not to laugh.

It didn't take long at all to return to our house.

Anxious to get inside to my guitar, I grabbed my book bag and strided up the front steps of the porch, opening the front door. I made my way up the stairs and into my room, setting my book bag by the doorway. I reached for my guitar and picked it up by its neck. I'll never not enjoy playing this instrument.

I laid down on my bed, setting the guitar gently on my chest as I began to start plucking the strings quietly. I've noticed that in the few days I've been able to see so far, I've actually improved with the guitar a lot, and I'm hoping that will continue.

My guitar is my favorite thing that I own, and I'm not planning on stopping my favorite hobby. I can't see how things can get any better.

Kelsey's P.O.V.

"Jonathan can be such a wimp when he realizes he's proved wrong," admitted Luke after Jonathan had left our table.

"Yeah, he can be," I replied from my seat next to Zach. "You sure showed him," I continued while giving him an encouraging smile.

"I didn't do much," retorted Zach while returning my gaze intently. I'm still not used to him doing that, to be perfectly honest.

"You stood up to the biggest jerk in school," Ryan cut in with a huge grin on his face. "That's something."

"I guess so..," he replied a bit quietly.

"Are you okay..?" I asked, noticing Zach's sudden change in mood. He seemed quite a bit determined a minute ago.

"I'm fine, don't worry about it," he responded, the corners of his lips twitching upwards into a small smile. "It's nothing I haven't told you about before," he whispered almost inaudibly.

I nodded as I felt his fingers gently enclose around my right hand. From the look on his face, I could easily tell that he needs support, and I'm more than willing to give that support. I leaned into his side a little bit, letting Zach know that I'm here for him if he needs it.

I don't know exactly what's running through his mind, but I do know how overwhelming it must be for him to adjust from being blind to not. I might not understand it fully, but I can kind-of guess what the feeling would be like.

Soon enough, the school bell rang, signaling the end of the lunch period. Both of us got up from our seats and started heading towards the exit of the room, our hands still locked together.

People gave us questioning glances, but it didn't matter to me. I waited until we were past the large groups of people before I spoke up.

"Zach, what's wrong?" I asked, giving him a comforting look.

"Nothing," he replied bluntly, keeping his gaze to the floor. "Nothing at all.."

"Is it your parents..?" I inquired hesitantly, knowing exactly what it was.

"Kelsey, not so loud...please.." Zach retorted, his tone making me instantly regret asking. "I don't want anyone other than you and Luke to know about that, but yes, that's it.."

"I'm sorry," I mumbled apologetically as we both stopped in our tracks unexpectedly.

"I just don't know what to do..," he confessed suddenly, his eyes full of sudden hurt. "Hayleigh doesn't know I'm not her real brother, and she deserves to know the truth sometime.."

His voice cracked at the end of his statement and I immediately felt bad for bringing the subject up. Remaining silent for a moment, I searched for words, until eventually finding what I think was the right thing to say.

"You are her real brother, Zach," I stated, looking him right in the eyes. "Maybe not by blood, but by love. She loves you like a brother, because you are, nonetheless."

"But I'm not-"

"Yes you are," I stopped him by putting a finger gently over his lips. "Whether you believe it or not. You're a part of the family too."

Zach looked like he was going to keep disagreeing, but he kept himself quiet.

"Trust me..," I reassured while slightly tightening my grip on his hand. "Please.."

"I'll do my best..," he replied, a small smile appearing on his unsure face. "Thanks, Kelsey, that means a lot..."

"I just want to help," I found myself saying out loud. "I'm sure you're overwhelmed right now.."

He nodded, emotion still flooding through his blue eyes. "Yeah, all of this is insane. I haven't been able to see in ten years.."

"I bet that's hard," I symphasized as well as I could. "Can I help you to not feel as overwhelmed?"

"I just need some time to get used to everything," admitted Zach. "But thank you."

"No problem, Zach," I replied gently, trying my best to help him.

I hope it was actually doing something..

~•~•~

I watched the seconds turn into minutes and minutes into hours until finally, the bell signaling the end of my final class rang.

I always love to go home after a long day of sitting around in boring classes and listening to several teachers lecturing me about things I won't need to know in my everyday life as an adult.

I normally pack up my textbooks after each class so that at the end of the day, I can just grab my backpack and walk right out the door.

I slammed my locker door shut and locked it with the combination lock, even though there isn't anything really important in there. Upon slinging my backpack over my left shoulder, I strided for the large doors to exit the school.

I'm so glad I've decided to take my car to school each day instead of the bus, since it takes a long time to get home due to all of the stopping and starting. My car isn't the nicest, but it gets me to Point A to Point B. I climbed into the driver's seat, shutting the door behind me. Luckily, this parking lot is quite large, so it isn't too difficult to exit with my car.

"Kelsey, what's with you and that piece of junk car?" I heard Amelia's rude voice inquire from a yard or two away.

I realized that I had left my window down, so I shrugged, looked her in the eyes, and rolled it up, giving her a smirk. I didn't want to deal with her nonsense today. Shaking the thought of Amelia and her flock of friends away, I drove off, not looking back. I'm not going to let her affect me.

The bus normally takes at least thirty to forty minutes to take me home while driving in the car takes me about ten. I don't know why I didn't want to take my car in the first place.

I pulled into the driveway and shut the car off, eagerly getting out of it while grabbing my backpack on the way out. I climbed up the front porch stairs and unlocked the front door, stepping inside.

"Ace, I'm home!" I exclaimed, dropping my backpack onto the floor.

Not even five seconds later, Ace rounded the corner and sped towards me, his legs almost going out from under him. I spread my arms out and he jumped into him, seeming like he gave me a doggy hug by putting his paws on my shoulders. I couldn't help but smile as his tail was wagging at least a mile a minute.

After a moment or two, I gently put Ace down and pulled my phone out of my pocket. I thought maybe I should check up on Zach, just to make sure he's okay.

"Hey Zach, I know I ask this a lot, but are you okay?"

I put my phone back into my pocket and headed into the kitchen for a bowl of popcorn and maybe some ice cream. My absolute favorite. Popcorn and ice cream are the monarchs of all food.

I grabbed a bag of popcorn from the pantry and threw it in the microwave, turning it on. A few seconds after starting the microwave, my phone buzzed from my back pocket.

"Hi Kelsey, it's okay to ask. I'm fine, thank you, just a little bit off."

"Can I help?" I found myself replying back.

Not even a few seconds later, another reply came through my messages. Geez, he replies fast.

"I just need some time to get used to everything. I'm okay, really."

I decided to take his word for it, even though he doesn't sound too terribly okay. I can't even imagine what it'd be like in his situation.

Different. That's what it would be. Extremely different..

~~~

Ahhhhhh, I'm not sure how I feel about this chapter, but I tried! Hopefully you enjoyed it; that's what matters!

Seriously, thank you all for taking time out of your day to read this book. It really means a lot to me and I can't even tell you guys how much I appreciate you! This book means everything to me, the plot, the storyline, the characters, everything, and it means so much that you guys like it! Thank you so much for being you! :3

~Eclipsityy <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

306K 6.3K 59
EMMA RUBY FOREST. You know the perfect girl, with blonde hair, blue eyes, who is desired by almost every guy, also dating the future Alpha, yeah th...
798K 14.1K 82
Two best friends are realising that they aren't kids anymore, and they have desires that need to be fulfilled. So who better to experiment with than...
48 2 16
Rachel Dawn Evans, a high school girl who has a big crush on the boy with ocean eyes. To her, he seemed like a nice guy and would like to get to know...
492K 17.4K 37
BOOK 1 C O M P L E T E D U N D E R E D I T I N G I quickly ran into a random room and locked the door behind me. Breathing heavy Sweating Scared "...