Moon of Misfortunes

By Keerse

Accused of a heinous crime she didn't commit, Adaline finds herself imprisoned within the foreboding walls of... More

Chapter One: Excited
Chapter Three: The Room
Chapter Four: The Book
Chapter Five: Rubio

Chapter Two: Accusation

897 41 6
By Keerse

I was ripped from the sleek vehicle and forced forward by the elders behind me, their grips unyielding. As I stumbled, I gasped at the sight before me. Looming ahead was a grand palace, its imposing structure a testament to centuries past. This was the High Council of Elders Palace, a formidable edifice that had stood since the early 1700s. The cool-toned stonework seemed to stare back at me with a cold, indifferent gaze.

Around the palace, the trees were adorned with leaves in brilliant shades of red, orange, and yellow, reflecting the change of season. The wind rustled through them, making the branches sway as if they were greeting me in solemn acknowledgment. Despite the architectural beauty and the autumnal splendor, I couldn't afford to lose myself in admiration. There were far more pressing matters demanding my attention.

The elders led me up the stone steps, their footsteps echoing ominously in the still air. The grand entrance loomed ahead, massive wooden doors intricately carved with ancient symbols and runes. They creaked open, revealing a vast, dimly lit hallway lined with tall, arched windows. The air inside was cool and carried a faint scent of aged parchment and polished wood.

I was prodded forward, my shoes clicking against the polished marble floor. As we moved deeper into the palace, the grandeur of the place became even more apparent. High ceilings adorned with elaborate frescoes depicted scenes of historical significance to the pack, while heavy, crimson drapes framed the windows, casting long shadows across the hall.

We arrived at a set of double doors guarded by two stern-looking sentinels in ceremonial attire. They opened the doors, and I was thrust into a large chamber. The High Council of Elders was already assembled, seated in a semicircle behind a long, imposing table. Their expressions were grave, their eyes piercing as they took in my appearance. I'm in some deep shit, I thought.

"Yes, we are," my wolf, Maiya, agreed, "they think we tried to assassinate the Queen"

I don't understand how they think I could do such a heinous thing, I thought, as it gnawed at my mind, each step toward the palace feeling heavier than the last.

We arrived at the steps of the High Council of Elders Palace, and the massive stone doors began to open slowly, their weighty creak echoing through the still air. I was prodded forward, the elders' firm grips leaving no room for hesitation. The grandeur of the palace struck me immediately—the soaring ceilings, the intricate stone carvings, and the polished marble floors all spoke of a place steeped in history and power.

The walls were adorned with tapestries depicting scenes of great battles and significant moments in the pack's history. Tall, arched windows let in beams of light that cast long shadows on the floor, adding to the palace's imposing atmosphere. Chandeliers hung from the ceiling, their crystals shimmering in the light, giving the space an almost otherworldly glow.

"We need to go to the courtroom, immediately," one of the elders commanded, their tone leaving no room for argument. "Once there, you will be tried and sentenced. Do you understand?"

"Yes," I spoke and firmly nodded. My throat too tight with fear and anger to speak further. My mind raced, trying to grasp the reality of my situation. I had gone from a joyous morning learning about my pregnancy to facing a trial for a crime I didn't commit, all within a matter of hours.

As we moved deeper into the palace, the corridors seemed to grow colder, the stone walls closing in around me. Finally, we reached a set of grand double doors, guarded by sentinels who opened them as we approached. Inside was the courtroom, a vast chamber dominated by a raised dais where the High Council sat.

The room was filled with onlookers—other elders, pack leaders, and advisors—all of them watching with expressions ranging from curiosity to outright condemnation. My heart pounded in my chest as I was led to the center of the room, facing the council.

"Head Elders, we present Adaline Emerson, former Luna of the Riverwood Pack. She is charged with treason and the attempted murder of the Queen of the Wolves," one of the Elders proclaimed, shoving me forward. The Head Elders, seated in a semicircle of authority, nodded in approval, their expressions stern and unforgiving.

"What say you in your defense?" one Head Elder asked, his voice echoing through the grand chamber.

"This is a misunderstanding!" I exclaimed, my voice trembling but resolute. "I have never, nor would I ever, attempt to assassinate anyone, let alone the Queen. I cannot be charged for a crime I did not commit."

The Head Elder nodded, his eyes narrowing as he scrutinized me. "We have evidence that suggests it was you who committed this crime," he said, his tone heavy with accusation.

The other Head Elders nodded in unison, a chilling confirmation of their shared belief in my guilt. From the far left corner of the room, another Elder spoke up, "Rubio, can you play the video for us?"

A tall man stepped forward, pulling an old box television behind him. He was handsome, with shaggy hair and piercing brown eyes that lingered on me for a moment before he turned his attention to the task at hand. He carefully inserted a VHS tape into the bottom of the television, the antiquated technology juxtaposing strangely with the grandeur of the palace. 

What a way to live in this century, I thought.

Rubio pressed play and then disappeared behind the High Elders' seating. This video was vastly different from the one Nikolai had shown me. The screen depicted a woman sneaking through what I presumed to be the Royal Castle, a silver dagger glinting in her hand. She had blonde hair, similar to mine in color, but hers was longer, about six inches more. This mystery woman was tall, slim, and had cream-colored skin, her movements deliberate and stealthy.

The screen changed, presenting a new camera angle. A woman stood in the foreground of the image, within the study of the Castle. Her white hair reflected the rays of the moon as she read, oblivious to the danger lurking. The mystery woman appeared around the corner and launched herself at the Queen. I quickly looked away, my stomach churning. I was never one for violence, and watching the Queen get attacked was beyond my capacity to endure.

I forced myself to refocus and addressed the Head Elders. "These are all common traits for a person to possess. You cannot accuse every tall blonde woman in the kingdom of trying to kill the Queen!"

"Show her the photograph," the same Head Elder instructed Rubio. He curtly nodded and produced a large, 12-inch by 12-inch photograph of the woman, taken just seconds before the attack. Her face was as clear as day. I gasped, as did the Elders seated behind me. The resemblance was uncanny—she had round hazel eyes, high cheekbones, blonde hair, full lips, and smooth cream skin littered with freckles. It was undeniable; this woman looked exactly like me.

A wave of disbelief and horror washed over me. Did I really try to murder the Queen, I thought, surely I would remember something like that. I almost snorted at the ridiculousness of it all.

"I'm sorry, but this is not me. I have never been to the Royal Castle, nor do I harbor any ill feelings toward the Royal family. Please, you have to believe me," I breathed out, my voice tinged with desperation.

The head Elder frowned, his eyes narrowing. "While you have no clear motive, we cannot dismiss what we have seen here today. The woman in these images bears an undeniable resemblance to you. However, you claim this is not you. If that's the case, then tell us, where were you on the night of September 26th around 20:45?"

"I was at home, waiting for my mate to return from the Alphas' Ball," I stated firmly, hoping the truth in my words would reach them.

"And you did not accompany him?" another High Elder questioned, skepticism clear in his tone.

"No, I was unwell that day and did not wish to attend," I explained, trying to keep my voice steady.

"Were you home alone?" the head Elder pressed.

"Yes," I began, "but my Beta's mate came over around midnight."

"So, you were home alone for nearly four hours with no one to confirm your story?"

I clenched my jaw, the weight of their disbelief pressing down on me like a leaden shroud. Panic clawed at the edges of my mind. They couldn't seriously be considering this, could they?

I can't say I wouldn't think it was us either, Maiya sighed, her expression a mixture of pity and doubt.

"We need a moment to discuss your ruling. Thank you," an Elder spoke, his voice heavy with authority. They rose from their seats, a procession of somber figures filing out of the courtroom and into the chambers beyond.

The minutes stretched into an agonizing eternity as I sat alone, the weight of impending judgment bearing down on me like a suffocating cloak. Every heartbeat thundered in my ears, a drumbeat of dread.

Finally, the chamber's door creaked open, and the High Elders returned, their faces grave and solemn.

"We have a verdict," the head Elder announced, his voice echoing through the chamber like a death knell. "Adaline Emerson, we find you guilty of treason and attempted murder. You are sentenced to death, and will be publicly hanged."

My world shattered in an instant, the words crashing over me like a tidal wave. I gasped for air, tears streaming down my cheeks as the ground seemed to fall away beneath me. Death. The word hung heavy in the air, suffocating in its finality.

"My pups," I cried out, my voice cracking with desperation. "I am pregnant. Please, don't kill my pups. Let me give birth and then you can do whatever to me, but just don't harm them."

A High Elder rose swiftly from his seat, his eyes narrowing as he fixed me with a piercing gaze. "Can you prove it?"

I shook my head frantically, my heart pounding in my chest. The Elder who had confiscated my purse during the car ride still held it tightly in his hand. I pleaded with my eyes, silently begging for a chance to save my unborn children.

"I have an ultrasound in my purse," I blurted out, desperation lending urgency to my words. "Please, check it."

The Elder hesitated for a moment before nodding solemnly. He walked to the center of the High Elders, my purse clutched tightly in his hand. With trembling fingers, he emptied its contents onto the table, the ultrasound photographs spilling out amidst a jumble of belongings.

The High Elders leaned forward, their expressions shifting from stern to stunned as they examined the images before them. Whispers rippled through the chamber, the weight of their realization hanging heavy in the air.

"In light of this news," the head Elder finally spoke, his voice echoing with a newfound gravity, "we will allow you to birth your pups in due time. However, after that, you will face your sentence."

Relief flooded through me like a rushing tide, mingling with the lingering tendrils of fear and despair. I nodded fervently, gratitude welling within me.

"But," the head Elder continued, his voice stern, "you are to remain within the Palace, under strict supervision. Any hint of a threat or defiance will result in immediate consequences. Do you understand?"

"Yes, High Elders," I replied, my voice trembling with emotion. "I thank you for your mercy."

As I was led away, the weight of my impending fate still hung heavy upon me. But amidst the darkness, a flicker of hope burned bright. I would fight to protect my pups, to ensure their safety in a world fraught with danger and betrayal.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7M 255K 52
Lila had a family. And for a while they were happy. Then on her eighteenth birthday, her Parents, brother, and his mate died in a tragic car accident...
132K 7.3K 51
In a world where werewolves reign in the supernatural realm-also where humans are still oblivious to the existence of such creatures-Vladimira Volchi...
4K 357 34
***Please note that this story is currently being editing and updated*** 17-year-old Vallon Bainbridge is left devastated after a particularly repuls...
7.9K 430 14
True love. Mates. The very backbone of the werewolf species. But what happens when your Alpha mate rejects you? --------- Eden Cross is a Beta wo...