Winter Flame [Book 4] | Penta...

By heymello

The fourth book to Heymello's Pentagon series! Starting from 'Maybe Tomorrow' to 'Summer Detour' & 'All This... More

Winter Flame #4
Introduction
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Epilogue
After Us #5 (Preview)

Chapter 14

458 41 31
By heymello

_________________________

Chapter 14
Glasses of Champagne
_________________________

[[ CHANGGU ]]

"Yanan, your eyebags look bad." Yuto said as we were sitting in the kitchen, having coffee.

Yanan's hair was sticking up to all directions. He had a sleepy look on his face as he frowned. "Someone sang all night. I couldn't sleep." He said.

My eyes widened. "Yah! You were probably texting with Elkie all night."

Yuto chuckled, "What singing?"

"The point is, he was textingㅡ"

But Yanan already interrupted, "He was singing to Jiyoo." He said, grinning excitedly now.

Yuto's eyes widened. "Really?" He asked, then turned to me with a smirk. "You've always been the romantic."

I glared at Yanan. "I need you to move out of my room."

🍂🍂

[[ JIYOO ]]

The week seemed to pass by in a flash. It had been hectic. I've been writing and meeting up with Hyunjoo. We've grown a bit closer through the meetings. Today, I brought her to my apartment.

"Sorry, it's a bit messy and it's small." I apologized as I took off my jacket and hang it on a rack.

"No need to be sorry. You haven't seen my room. It's like a forest of all sort of things."

"Give me your jacket." I said as she was taking it off.

"Thanks!"

I hang it on the rack beside mine. "Still, I really hope it's okay."

She shook her head. "Seriously, don't worry about it. Our house in the countryside isn't big either. And someday, you might even be able to move somewhere better."

"Like you did?"

She smiled and nodded, "Yeah."

"This is a bit personal," I said smiling, "But... do you live with Hongseok or your family?"

Her jaw dropped slightly, and her cheeks turned pinkish. "No, I don't live with Hongseok... yet. I live with my mom because she works here in Seoul. My sister is married so she doesn't live with us, and my brother stays in the countryside."

I turned on the heater and turned to her, "Sorry, if my question flustered you."

Hyunjoo laughed. "Stop being sorry. It's alright. If we're going to be friends, we should be comfortable telling each other things like that."

A smile curved on my lips. "Okay." I got up and grabbed drinks from the fridge. "Orange juice, beer, or water? Or coffee?"

"Orange juice." She replied. I handed her the small bottle of orange juice.

I grabbed one for myself and drank.

She planted her elbow on the table and put her chin in the palm of her hand, looking at me with a mischievous smile. "So, what's the deal with you and Changgu?"

Suddenly, it felt like the juice went up to my nose. I coughed like I never did before, turning my back on her and grabbing a table napkin to wipe my mouth. I heard her laugh. "Are you okay?" she asked.

I nodded, sitting down and opening my laptop. "Uh... let's get working."

"You're avoiding my question."

I looked at her and sighed with a smile I couldn't hide. "We're friends. Happy now?"

She grinned. "Changgu does seem happy now." She said.

"What?"

Hyunjoo opened her own laptop and gave me a knowing smile. "When he was going through a hard time, you know, fresh wounds..."

"Fresh breakup?"

She nodded, "Yeah," She said. "I was there. I saw the way it broke him. Maybe I quite understood why. His ex girlfriend is my friend, too."

"Oh... really?"

"Changgu and Seungyeon, well, they broke up and it seemed like he didn't see it coming. They were alright, but then, suddenly they were going through a breakup. So, I saw the way it took a toll on him. Well, I've only gotten to know Changgu better when Hongseok and I started dating, but we were classmates for two years. He has always been the bright type."

A smile curled up in the corner of my lips. "I know, right. Sometimes, it's contagious. Like the way he waves his hand brightly when he says hello or good bye.

Hyunjoo looked at me, seeming to suppress a smile. "What I'm saying is," she said, "Lately, he's been back to his old self. I think you played a big part on that."

My eyes widened. "Why? How?" I chuckled awkwardly, "I'm sure he's just really moving on."

She nodded. "Yeah, maybe you're a huge part of that."

I looked away from her to the screen, willing myself not to smile. "Alriiiight, I think we should really get to work."

🍂🍂

[[ CHANGGU ]]

It's the night of YULS Grand Ball. I bounced on my feet as I waited for the time to pass before I pick up Jiyoo.

"Can you please calm down?" Yanan asked.

"How do I look?" I asked him.

"Are you gonna leave your hair down like that?" He asked back.

"Yeah, why? It doesn't look good, right?"

He sighed and got up from the couch. "Let me fix it."

I sat on the couch as Yanan worked with my hair. "Yanan, hurry, it's time." I said.

"Wait! Don't move." He said, frowning in deep concentration. After a while, he finally pulled away from my hair with a smile. "Done! Now, go, go, go!"

I ran to the bathroom to look at what he did and grin. "Okaaay! I'm leaving!"

"Have fun!"

I turned on the radio as I drove to Jiyoo's place. I hummed along to the melody just to distract myself from the music my heart was making. I didn't understand why I was so nervous. All I know is that this ball had been on my mind for several days.

I parked near the staircase that leads up to Jiyoo's apartment. I climbed the steps until I got to her door. I took a deep breath before I knocked.

The door was opened by an unfamiliar face. A guy. "Ah, Yeo Changgu-ssi, it's been a while." He said.

"Oh, have we... met before?" I asked.

"Well, something like that."

"Seunghyub, stop messing with him. Just let him in! It's cold!" I heard Jiyoo's muffled voice from the inside.

Oh, so this is Seunghyub.

He grinned at me and opened the door wider. "Come in."

"Thanks," I said. Inside, there's another girl who was in front of Jiyoo. She was fixing something on her face. My heart races in anticipation.

"Done! You look gorgeous, eonni!" Said the girl before stepping aside to get a good look on Jiyoo.

My breath got caught in my throat when our eyes met. And it seemed like everyone else disappeared except her and I. Her lips curved into a beautiful smile. "Isn't it too much?" She asked.

I heard someone else laugh, but I couldn't utter any words for a moment. Jiyoo looked so beautiful. Her makeup was simple, but it seemed to make her glow. Her bangs fell just above her lashes, her hair tied in half, the other half curled prettily. Her dress matched her beauty so well. Nothing about her was too much. In factㅡ"No, you look beautiful." I told her and watched as her cheeks heat up.

Seunghyub cleared his throat behind us. "Curfew is twelve." He said.

Jiyoo looked at him and laughed, "What are you, a parent?"

"No, but I'm your brother. She needs to be home by twelve." He said the last sentence to me.

"Ignore him." Jiyoo told me.

"Oppa, mind your business." The girl told him, frowning. She must be Mijin. She turned to me and smiled, "Hello! Late greetings. I'm Mijin. It's nice to finally meet you, Changgu-ssi."

"Oh, Mijin-ssi? I heard a lot about you from Jiyoo." I said.

"Really?" She asked in surprise.

I nodded, "Yeah, don't worry. All good stuff."

She chuckled. "That's a relief."

Jiyoo turned to me, "Shall we?"

🍂🍂

[[ JIYOO ]]

I laughed as I caught Changgu stealing glances for the fifth time in the car. "What?" I asked.

He smiled sheepishly, eyes bright. "Sorry."

I smiled and looked out the window. "It's so much colder tonight."

"Yeah, don't worry, I'm sure the venue will have a good heater."

"Or else, our future lawyers would freeze!"

He looked at me again quickly and said, "Oh, I didn't mention before, right?"

"What?" I asked, looking at him.

A mischievous smile played on his lips. "Only law students are actually allowed in this party."

I let out a gasp. "Yeo Changgu!"

He laughed, "But don't worry, you'll be fine."

"Why did you invite me then? What if we get caught?"

"I wanted to go with you." He replied, "Besides, YUSL is so huge. I'm sure no one would even notice."

I looked at him in bewilderment. "Do you really want to be a lawyer? You're already breaking the rules!"

He grinned, "Aren't rules made to be broken?"

Eventually, a smile crept on my lips. "Who are you and what have you done to Yeo Changgu?"

🍂🍂

The venue is in a hotel ballroom. Changgu and I successfully went past the security. I let out a sigh of relief. He laughed, looking at me.

"Don't laugh. I'm really nervous." I said, feigning a frown.

He took my arm and hooked it around his. "Don't be. I'm here." He said and my heart did acrobatics again.

I turned my attention to my surroundings and I was relieved that I wasn't overdressed. The whole place was set elegantly. Every single person radiates a different kind of class and confidence. Right, these are people from Yonseiㅡonly one of the most prestigious universities in South Korea.

"Have I mentioned that Hongseok and Hyunjoo went to Yonsei too?" Changgu asked. "Hongseok was in business department. Hyunjoo is still studying in the medical department. I think she got half scholarship throughout her years here."

"Woah, she really amazes me."

He smiled as we stopped by a cocktail table. "Yeah, she's quite amazing, so Hongseok doesn't want to let her go ever."

"I aspire to be that amazing." I told him grinning.

He raised an eyebrow and he looked even more handsome. "You already are."

I chuckled, "Lies."

He let go of my arm and grabbed us drinks from the waiter that's passing by. "Truth."

Suddenly, someone called everyone's attention on a podium. The woman who seemed to be in her 50s smiled charmingly and gave a speech about tonight's event.

Changgu leaned closer to me and whispered, "That's Lee So Hyun, our dean."

But I was distracted by his warm breath touching my skin. I blinked my eyes twice firmly and before I knew it, the speech was done and everyone else was clapping.

"Changgu oppa!" A girl called excitedly. She was wearing a tight, black dress that showed off her nice figure. She approached Changgu and pulled him in a hug. "You made it!"

"Oh, hi, Hyejin." He greeted her with a smile, pulling away.

"Oppa, why didn't you say you were coming? I was waiting for you to decide."

I drank slowly from my champagne.

"Ah, sorry. Iㅡ"

"Nevermind. At least, you came. You always ditched any social gatherings. Since you're here, oppa, will you dance with me?"

"Actually, Hyejin-ah, I'm with someone." Changgu turned to me with a smile. I smiled back tentatively. The girl looked at me from head to toe. "This is Jiyoo." He introduced, "Jiyoo, this is Hyejin."

Disappointment filled Hyejin's face, but she immediately masked it with a smile. "Oh, hi! I feel like I've never seen you before."

My heart beats louder. "Hi, well, I don't really... hang around so much."

She smiled at me again. A forced smile. "You don't mind if I get one dance from Changgu oppa, do you?" She asked.

"Hyejinㅡ" Changgu was about to say something when I cut him off, "No, not at all. It's alright." I said.

He turned to me, uncertain. "Jiyoo..."

I smiled at him. "Go, dance. I'll be fine."

"Butㅡ"

"Let's go, oppa!" Hyejin wrapped her arm around his before pulling him away. Changgu looked at me once more before completely vanishing into the crowd.

I drank the rest of my champagne.

One.

Two.

Three.

After the third glass of champagne, I decided to walk through the crowd and find the buffet table. My stomach was protesting since I didn't eat anything earlier, I was so nervous about tonight.

I was eating some buffalo wings when someone suddenly said, "At parties like this, you'll always see me near the food."

I turned and I was surprise to see a familiar face. "OmoㅡKwangjinie?" I asked, wide eyed.

He looked at me and coughed, "Jiyoo? What the heckㅡwhat are you doing here?" He asked.

I laughed. "What are you doing here?"

He raised an eyebrow. "I'm a law student. The last time I know, you're majoring in education, not law."

I pressed my finger on my lips. "Sssh, keep it down. You're going to get me kicked out."

He gave me an amused look. "What are you doing here, seriously?"

"Uh, eating?"

"You can't just go into a formal dance and dressed like that to eat a buffalo wing."

I grinned. "I'm with someone, but he's busy at the moment. I can't believe I found you here. The last time I know, I'm certain you were a bassist in a band."

"I'm offended that Seunghyub doesn't even mention me." He said, smiling. "Well, it's been a long time. I've decided to turn over a new leaf."

"Woah, just like that? You just woke up one day and you wanted to be a lawyer?"

He nodded, grinning. "Yeah, exactly like that."

But just as we were getting comfortable in our conversation, he was called away by a friend. He turned to me with regret. "I'm sorry, I gotta go! But hopefully, I find you later and catch up."

I nodded. "It's okay. I'll tell Seunghyub I saw you here."

He smiled, "You look great today, by the way. Almost didn't recognize you."

"Thanks. I almost didn't recognize you either! Your haircut..."

He laughed, walking away backwards. "Let's talk about how I chopped my long hair later. It's really nice seeing you here, Jiyoo." He said before he left.

I sighed and looked around for Changgu. I headed towards the room where we left our coats and grabbed mine, and then I went outside to breathe in fresh air.

🍂🍂

[[ CHANGGU ]]

My feet were itching to walk away. After dancing with Hyejin, she brought me to our other classmates and I got caught up from there conversating with different people. The worry for Jiyoo increased inside me each second. I've been gone too long.

Now, I'm talking with the dean and some other students. Thankfully, my phone rang loud enough for the group to hear. I faked a gasp and looked at them apologetically. "I'm sorry, I have to take this call. It's my mom. It must be important."

The dean nodded, "Sure, Yeo Changgu, you can take your call."

"Thank you for understanding." I said, quickly walking away. I let out a sigh of relief and answered the phone call, "Yanan, why?" I asked.

"Just checking in, if you're still alive. I'm hanging up."

I grinned. "You have no idea what you just saved me from. Talk to you later."

I ran back to our table, but Jiyoo wasn't there anymore. I felt a pang of guilt inside. I told her I'd be by her side. Ugh.

I looked around, searching for her in the crowd. I tried calling her but she wasn't picking up. I began to worry more and more until I finally went to the room where we left our coats, just in case she wanted to be alone thereㅡbut she wasn't there, so was her coat.

I grabbed mine and headed out immediately. It didn't take far for me to find her. I was so relieved that I had to pause from running and just stared at her. She was looking up the night sky, coat wrapped around her shoulders but she was rubbing her palms with one another for warmth.

"Jiyoo, I'm sorry." I said, walking towards her.

She looked at me and for a while, I couldn't read her expression. My heart began beating so loudly and slowly as dread came over me.

I must have done it. I disappointed her.

• • •

author's note:

f a c t:
i wrote 'kwangjin' based on n.flying's former bassist, kwon kwangjin. and i wrote this before he left the band :(
when he did, i was so sad because he was my bias and then one day, i was editing this chapter and i was sh00k to find out i also wrote here that he left the band lmao sometimes my stories creep me out

__

anyway thank you so much for reading.
this is an early update from the previous one because i'm not so busy these days :')

here's a fake ig post to feed your imaginations 😂😂

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

164K 7.5K 33
Jeongin and Chan haven't seen each other for years after the eldest left to college but they finally meet up again and the buried feelings are ready...
11.1K 933 31
Shinwon and Seunghee try to move on from their past but moving on could be easier if only fate would stop making their paths cross. Would they rekind...
222 32 27
He woke up all alone. On a concrete block, wrapped in an old blanket with a checkered pillow under his head. His car stood nearby, empty and silent. ...
10.1K 148 18
some pentagon imagines and reactions pentagon requests are open my first time writing have fun