Castlevania: Awakening

By edgeofeternity

This is a Castlevania: Lords of Shadow fan fiction based on the character of Gabriel Belmont/Dracul. What if... More

Introduction
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19

Chapter 11

278 2 1
By edgeofeternity

“Ezareth’s tomb…Ezareth’s tomb…” the words were whirling loudly in her mind.
She tossed her head violently trying to block out the voice, her hands clenching her hair.

It was unrelenting!

Laeleth sat up abruptly and stared around the room with wild, panicked eyes. The shadowy shapes of the room were hardly definable in the dim light. The fire had burned down to glowing coals.

“It was only a dream, Laeleth,” Gabriel spoke softly. She could hear the kindness in his voice and soon felt the softness of his dark hair on her face as he kissed her forehead.
He was standing at her bedside looking down at her. The light was rather dim but she could immediately tell there was no longer blood about his mouth.

How long had she slept? The effects of her dreaming now hung over her like an oppressive fog. Laeleth felt confused and stared blankly.
She could actually remember the words; it was not like the nightmares from before.
“Ezareth’s tomb,” she whispered to herself.

Gabriel sat beside her, his back resting against the expansive, upholstered headboard.
Laeleth turned towards him as her eyes studied his face. She wondered if he ever needed sleep or if the dreadful curse kept him from feeling fatigued.

The warm smell of fire lingered about him like an aura. It seemed unusual for one so deathly cold and pale.
She had never really noticed it before now as she breathed in deeply. It soothed her for some reason. Not quite like Laevon’s comforting scent, but in a different, more intimate way.

As he reclined beside her he placed his arm around her and drew her back. She welcomed his close, protective presence and leaned against his side.
“You need to rest now, Laeleth; no more of these dreams,” he spoke in an authoritative way. “We will be leaving at first light.”

Laeleth was surprised by these words and instantly sat up once more. She looked at him in a questioning way and said, “Where are we going, Gabriel?”

In one way Laeleth was rather excited by the news. To be able to escape the wretched villagers and the haunting memories of her life were welcome thoughts. And the fact that Gabriel was going with her was already greatly reassuring.

Her heart was saddened though at the memory of Laevon and how he would be left behind. When they came here she had not considered going any farther than this.
If they were to depart would she ever have a chance of seeing him again?

Gabriel’s voice interrupted her questioning mind with his own answer.
“Zobek was only momentarily weakened, but he will eventually make his way here; there will be no stopping him. We cannot stay.”
His words were grave and chilling much like the room had become. Laeleth was grateful for the warm furs surrounding her as she loathed the cheerless atmosphere.

“What of my brother?” she ventured to ask. “I am sure he will try to find me.”

“Your brother will have to manage alone,” Gabriel replied in a blank voice. “Wherever we go he will not be able to follow.”

Laeleth remembered the sleek and mysterious stallion from the evening before and how Gabriel had told him not to roam far. Would they be riding at least? There would be no chance of Laevon following them then.
The horse was far too swift to be traced easily. It would take too long for Laevon to reach this castle – if he even could in his condition.

She knew Gabriel was not overly concerned with Laevon and that the risk of having them in each other’s presence was great.
Laevon had always hated and despised the vampire for what he thought “Dracul” had done to their father. Even Laeleth had once wondered if the rumors and old tales were true.

She could hardly remember her father now, but everyone in the village had said Laevon was just like him – noble, brave, and a seeker of justice.
If this were so then a confrontation between her brother and Gabriel would be rather grim.

Her mind was too alive with thoughts of flight. Sleep was the last thing she wanted now.
Laeleth had never traveled beyond her village home and knew nothing of the outlying world. This castle was as far as she had ever gone.
If she were to leave she would be forsaking all that she had ever known and thought she loved.

Laeleth would gladly abandon it all if it was not for Laevon, but she knew now that there was no other way.
If Gabriel had made this choice she would have to trust him. He had never failed her yet.

She sank against him again as she tried to regain her restful state, but the memory of her recent dream came back to make her question.
“Before he died,” she thought aloud, “Father Nicholas told me, ‘Ezareth’s tomb … find it.’ I could not even consider what he meant at the time, but now it haunts my dreams,” she confessed.

Gabriel was listening quietly as Laeleth's head rested on his chest. His breathing was so light, so barely discernible much like his heart beat.
She was unsure if what she said meant anything to him or if it was just some cryptic riddle.

He seemed to be thinking and then after some time finally spoke.
“Ezareth was a knight of the Brotherhood – even before my service,” he began in a low and far off sounding voice.
“He abandoned the order for his own selfish gain. He had been led to believe that there was a relic of infinite value – a gem with the power to defy death itself and control one’s fate.”

He paused here again as Laeleth’s face turned upwards towards his. She watched his expression intently, her eyes full of intrigue;  but he seemed not to notice as he spoke once more.

“It was told that he endured much peril to obtain it, only to ironically be defeated by it in the end.
The knights of the order - although he was disgraced - constructed a tomb. The priests then sealed it with strong magic so that none could possess the relic, for they feared it defied God’s will.”
With these words he had finished his account of Ezareth as he knew it.

Laeleth had listened enraptured just as she had when Father Nicholas had told her captivating stories; but she had never been told this one.
Ezareth’s history had not been in the scrolls she was once allowed to study.
Father Nicholas must have kept this secret intentionally, and for some unexplainable reason he now wanted her to know it.

“Is his tomb nearby?” she inquired a little too eagerly as she sat up to look at him once more.

“Laeleth,” Gabriel sounded somewhat scolding, “now is not the time for these old stories.”

He shifted slightly as though something else upset him. “There is far too much at risk. You saw how close Zobek was to…” he paused, feeling pained at the memory.
“I was a fool to not see it,” he said quietly, “he was there all along and I sent you back to him.”

Laeleth felt his muscles tense as he attempted to suppress the feelings of anger he had awoken. She leaned against him and gazed into his eyes - the red hue no longer unusual or strange.
“Gabriel, I do not blame you. You could not have known,” she began in a reassuring tone. “Even I never thought I was in any danger there. I know you would not have done it intentionally.”

His eyes seemed more relaxed at the sound of her gentle voice, although the stern look had not left his face.

But Laeleth’s curious and hopeful nature had been greatly stirred and she pressed him further.
“I think Father Nicholas meant it as a sign. If we seek his tomb we may find something that can change all of this!” She spoke more assertively and excitedly now as the thought took shape in her mind. “You said it had the power to defy death — to control fate?” she asked.

Gabriel sighed, “That is a desperate hope to say the least, and was never proven. Ezareth himself could not resist whatever power it held.” He spoke in a flat tone as though the idea did not encourage him.
“Even if we were to find it - it is sealed with a magic that not even the Brotherhood could break. It was beyond our arts, and only someone of a saintly order such as a priest could open.”

But Laeleth was not so easily dissuaded. Once an idea had entered her mind she became fiercely intrigued by it.

“Where else would we go if we did not stay here? You said Zobek will be hunting us. It matters not where we go if he will not stop searching!”
Her voice had risen slightly as she spoke with passion. They had not evaded Zobek only to run from him forever!

“If there is a chance at ending all of this … to free us both,” Laeleth spoke more quietly now as she seemed to reflect on all that it could mean.
How she longed to be rid of this torment – the running, the nightmares!

She sat up quickly and grasped Gabriel’s arm with earnest conviction. “I have to know, Gabriel! Father Nicholas would never lead me astray. It has to be important - it has to be fate.”

She was so sincere and so entirely convinced. Gabriel could see the fire that had been lit in her devoted eyes.
He studied her face for awhile as he pondered her words.  He had not yet decided where they were heading and she was now adamant that it should be the tomb.

Her loose hair fell about her shoulders framing her lovely face; her eyes were wide as she waited for his response.
He did not wish to dishearten her even though he saw no sense in it himself.

“Please Gabriel,” she spoke softly as her hand rested gently on his arm. Her lips were parted as she anticipated his answer; her face shining with conviction.

This was her one glimmer of hope in the midst of all this darkness, and after what she had just encountered Gabriel could not refuse her this chance.
He did not see going there as a greater risk than anywhere else.

“The tomb is not near, but with Fantoma’s aid we might reach it in a few days,” Gabriel spoke in a practical way.

A pleased smile broke across Laeleth’s face as she realized he was in agreement with her suggestion.
He had not argued with her as she had expected! Perhaps he was just as intrigued with the thought as well?

“Thank you Gabriel!” she spoke in a grateful way. A radiant and heartfelt smile broke across her face and seemed to light up the cheerless room.
It meant everything to her that he would be willing to take her there based solely on the priest’s simple words.
She knew in her heart that there was something more to it all. There had to be!

“We must still depart at dawn,” Gabriel reminded her. “You should rest now, Laeleth. There will be time enough for reflection later.”

Laeleth could not argue with his compelling tone and now felt as though she could sleep again.
She lay back down and rested her head on a silken pillow. It felt rather soothing and eased her mind of its care.
As she fell into sleep she knew that Gabriel remained beside her. She found herself wishing that he always would be.
Despite all her recent troubles and terrors there was no one she felt like she belonged with more.

____

It seemed as though she had only just closed her eyes when she awoke again.
Her eyelids fluttered open and she could see the gray shadows of sun trying to peek through the heavily draped windows.
Gabriel was not beside her now and her heart sank slightly as she recalled his words from the night before. They would need to be leaving soon.

Laeleth reluctantly pulled back the bedcovers and shivered slightly. The fire was no longer lit and she knew that Gabriel was likely making preparations for their departure.
The smooth stone beneath her feet was chilling as she stood and wrapped one of the furs from the bed around her.

She could vaguely see Gabriel standing at the far end of the immense room. He appeared to be inspecting some items at the table.

Laeleth softly made her way over to him. She stood quietly behind him as she observed everything that was laid out.

“Good morning, Laeleth,” he spoke without looking at her. He could sense her presence as there was no getting past his sharpened senses.

“Good morning, Gabriel” she replied in a low, sleepy voice. She regretted having to leave the soft comfort of the elegant bed. In a way she wished that they never had to leave here.
Despite how ruined and bleak the castle was she felt a growing attachment for it. In its own way it held a mystery and charm that appealed to her imaginative nature.

“I hope you slept well. It will be a rather long day,” he warned in a slightly concerned tone.

“Yes, I am feeling much better thank you,” Laeleth replied.
All that they had talked about the night before seemed like a distant dream and in the coming light of dawn almost a fairy tale. Could there truly be as powerful a relic as Ezareth’s in this world?

“Good,” he smiled slightly at her as he turned. The growing light of the room cast dim shadows across his face and his red eyes glowed softly. “Then we can be off once you eat and change. I have provided all you will need.”

Laeleth felt herself consciously staring down at her torn and stained night dress. The blood stains had dried in darkened pools of brown.
After the horror of her escape was dissipating she realized how frightful she truly looked.
She wondered at what Gabriel could possibly have in this castle to replace what little she now owned. They could not venture back to the village, that was certain.

She looked at what was laid out on the table. There was a small travel bag much like her satchel. There were numerous flasks of the oddly colored bottles and a dagger was arranged neatly beside them.
She picked up the leather sheath and studied the blade. The knife was far more elaborate then her own simple dagger she always carried but had now lost.
The hilt was solid silver and etched with gorgeous, intricate engravings.

Gabriel noticed her keen interest in it and explained, “It is a Brotherhood design and was once my own. I hope that you will never need to use it.”

Laeleth glanced at his face and saw that he was looking at her rather intently.
“I do not plan for you to, but I cannot promise otherwise. It will serve you well if necessary,” he spoke in a quieter tone. His eyes were regarding her gently, but his face remained grave.

She nodded as she placed it back in its sheath.
She knew that Gabriel was probably troubled with the thought of her needing to protect herself, but she was grateful he was entrusting it to her anyway.

He then pointed out the bottles he had selected. The glass tinkled together as she picked them up and placed them in the bag.
There were a few clear blue ones that contained a water-like liquid. “Holy water,” he informed her. There were also some assorted bright green and murky golden ones – a blinding spell and a healing salve.
Laeleth was much intrigued at what they could do, but hoped that they would not run into any danger requiring their use.
She had full confidence in Gabriel and his ability to protect her.

On the chair next to the table was laid out a fresh change of clothes for the journey - nothing as beautiful and fine as the burgundy dress of before, but very suitable. It was only plain woodsman gear - supple leather and wool in shades of red and brown. A simple pair of knee high leather boots rested on the floor beside the chair.
Gabriel had certainly considered everything.

Laeleth held up the loose looking blouse and wondered at where he had come by these items. The fabric appeared somewhat old and faded and was nothing like she had seen the villagers wearing.
It smelled strongly of cedar wood as though it had been in a chest for long ages. She was certain that it had come from the castle.

“Those should help you move a little more quickly,” he spoke as he glanced at her.

She flushed slightly as she recalled the difficulty she had in keeping up with him the night before.
“Thank you, Gabriel, for everything,” she said gratefully and he nodded with another slight smile.

“There is fresh water,” he said as he motioned towards the darkened corner by the bed where a dresser and mirror were located.

Laeleth was quite thrilled for this simple comfort and she hastened over with the bundle of clothes.
The water was so clean after the horrible events of the night before. She was rather uncomfortable and hastily began rinsing away the blood and dirt from her face and arms.

As she glanced up from the basin and into the mirror she noticed just how terribly desperate she looked. Her hair fell wildly all around her in tangled waves and her face appeared gaunter.
Dark circles rested beneath her eyes. The nightmares that had plagued her for so many months were keeping her from any restoring rest. But ignoring this for now she attempted to smooth out her hair with her fingers.

After this she quickly changed into the rather ill-fitting attire. The leggings were somewhat loose, but fortunately there was a large leather belt that buckled around them. The laced down shirt was long and fell around her waist like a tunic. Thankfully the boots fit rather well. They were a little snug, but she thought this was better than being too large.

As she rejoined Gabriel he smiled at her with a somewhat bemused expression. “I apologize, Laeleth.”

“No need,” she replied simply with a small smile. She knew she looked rather ridiculous!
“I will manage just fine, thank you.”

She was starting to place her old garments in the bag when Gabriel told her, “You will not need those anymore.”  His eyes sparked almost mischievously and she soon saw why.
There was the burgundy dress already packed neatly in the bottom; the ruby brooch as fiery and magnificent as his eyes.

Laeleth was rather surprised but elated. Her eyes shone happily as she looked into his. She smiled broadly.
“Thank you, Gabriel,” she spoke in an appreciative way.
She had truly loved the dress and hoped that someday soon she would be able to wear such finery again on a much happier occasion.

“As I told you, it was yours to keep,” he remarked with a gentle look.

But this brief moment soon faded as he quickly became practical again. The sun was now streaming through the windows with more force.
“You should eat; we must go,” he said as he in a more reserved manner. The reality of what awaited them was ever present in his mind.

She nodded and willingly accepted the small breakfast of nuts and fruit. After she had finished, Laeleth packed what was left into the travel bag along with a flask of water.
She felt better than she had in a long while - which was surprising considering how little she still had.

Gabriel waited patiently by the door as she took one last look around the room. Laeleth slung the leather satchel around her chest and quickly joined him.

He held up a long, fur-lined cloak and carefully placed it around her shoulders. It smelled rather musky, much like the old clothes she was wearing, but was delightfully warm as it fell around her.

Laeleth noticed that Gabriel had no additional attire other than his usual scarlet and gold-trimmed robe. She knew he must not feel any effect from the cold as the exposed ashen skin of his chest held no color. The blood that was in his veins was as ice already.

The Void sword was strapped to his elaborate belt along with a weapon she had never seen before - a coiled, crimson whip.
She quickly glanced away as she noticed him watching her. Laeleth knew better than to ask him right now what it might be capable of.

She followed him out and down the many flights of steps. The sun was beginning to filter through the immaculate stained glass windows of the front entrance. Many of the blue and green panes were shattered but still retained their former beauty.

They stepped out of the castle into the bleak autumn air.
Ragged clouds drifted across the sky and kept the sun from providing any warmth. Laeleth was especially grateful for the warm cloak now. The air was rather cool up here and it protected her against the chilling mountain wind.
She clasped it tightly about her throat and momentarily recalled Demetrius.

Her face fell at the thought of him as she remembered his fate. It was horrible enough to think the wolves had attacked him, but to know that Zobek had murdered him intentionally? This truth was too grievous to bear!
She tried to force it from her mind as she stood waiting.

Gabriel was once again standing still and seemed to be listening quite attentively.
His eyes were closed and Laeleth wondered if he was in some way able to sense Fantoma or if the horse sensed him.

But she had not long to wait or even wonder for there in the distance Laeleth could see the shape of a great animal approaching.
As it drew near she began to see that instead of the coal black creature it was a horse of mottled grey. Flecks of white could be seen beneath the dark patches that drifted across its body like the wisps of clouds above.

The horse pulled up sharply in front of Gabriel and tossed his head in greeting.
Gabriel leaned close to the animal’s ear and whispered something while he stroked the proud neck.

Laeleth was amazed at how beasts seemed to be under his will — either in respect or fear.
She felt that this must be respect, for he treated the lovely horse with such kindness that surely a proud animal would not respond otherwise.

The creature stamped its hoof impatiently as if he were ready to be off.
Gabriel patted him reassuringly. “Swiftly now, Fantoma,” he spoke aloud.
Laeleth realized that he had addressed the black horse by the same name.
“Phantom” - the name was fitting for such a horse, if it was indeed the one from the night before, for he seemed to appear and depart as suddenly as an apparition would.

Gabriel turned to Laeleth and noticed the puzzled look on her face.
“I have assured him you will not kick,” he smirked, but not with his usual sneer.
She smiled back at him as she knew he was speaking in jest. This lighthearted side of him was rather different, but encouraging to see.

He lifted Laeleth onto the animal’s back and then pulled himself up behind her.

“Is this possibly the horse from last night?” Laeleth asked in an awe-like voice. She sat sideways and stared keenly at Gabriel’s face.“You called them both Fantoma, but they appear so different.”

“Yes, they are the same,” he replied simply as he deftly tugged the horse’s mane towards the Northwest. “He can shift as necessary with his surroundings - whether it be day or night.”

Laeleth was amazed. This horse truly was of a magical nature! It astounded her how well the stallion blended with the bleak landscape around them.

As Fantoma’s hooves slowly trotted along the pavement Laeleth asked in a curious tone, “How is it he does not fear you?”

“How is it you do not?” Gabriel replied simply.

This was a rather unexpected answer and she thought on it silently.

Gabriel urged the horse forward and they set off - leaving the castle behind.

The ground was more uneven as they began to ascend the rockier incline beyond the castle.
The farther they went the slower Fantoma was going.
He picked his way carefully and skillfully amongst the jagged stones as nimbly as a mountain goat.
Laeleth glanced down at his hooves in awe as he never once missed his footing.
This continued on a ways as the castle was surrounded by menacing outcroppings of rock.

But even as the sun climbed higher beyond the clouds they finally reached the top of the incline.
There was now a flat open ground before them and Laeleth could feel the horse’s powerful muscles tense in anticipation.
She could sense how he wanted to run.

“Hold tight,” Gabriel addressed her as he signaled the horse forward.
The majestic animal leapt forth, eagerly and furiously, with a whinny of delight.

Laeleth heeded Gabriel’s instruction and clung to his coat for fear she would fall. The ground raced beneath them in a brown blur.

She watched as the world melted away, the fresh wind whipping through her hair.
She closed her eyes and allowed herself to enjoy this full feeling of weightless wonder.
Every movement was in perfect rhythm as Fantoma tirelessly made his way.

Once again she lost all track of time and her mind drifted into a relaxed, reflective state.

Her thoughts turned to her brother Laevon. She worried for him - praying he was all right.
Was he badly hurt? She recalled the tragic state she had seen him in last.
Laeleth knew not how serious his injuries were, but she knew her twin would stop at nothing to find her.
This was her worst fear the farther they rode from her home. She and Laevon had never truly been separated before - not like this.
She had promised him they would see each other again; in her heart she had believed it, but now she was not so sure.

Laeleth then thought of Zobek and wondered where he had gone. She was sure after so many years of preparation he would not just give up now and allow her to escape.

She could only hope that Father Nicholas had told her true - that there was something of significance at Ezareth’s tomb.
It seemed such an odd request from a dying man.
There was so much she had not been able to ask him; so many questions she now had.

She recalled his last words to the village. He had told the people she had a gift and that her purpose was yet to be made known.
What could it all mean?
He had mentioned the Heaven’s Flame as Gabriel had, but how had Zobek intended to acquire that power or even use it? What was it after all?
Laeleth had not had much chance to consider all that had transpired that dreadful night, and there were more questions now than answers.

Lost in all of these thoughts she had not even realized that Fantoma had stopped.
Laeleth released her tight hold on Gabriel as he dismounted and helped her down from the horse’s back.

Fantoma stood beside a crystal stream where the horse, his coat glistening, was drinking leisurely.

Laeleth glanced about her as she took in the view.“Do you know where we are?” she asked Gabriel inquisitively.

“This is called Rook’s Crest – it is far beyond any borders you might be familiar with,” Gabriel replied.

The area seemed peaceful and clean and unspoiled by all the evil she had so recently witnessed. The trees were more sparsely placed here and the ground was quite stony as though the mountains had flung them down from the heights above.
The area was mostly flat however which had made the ride so far, fairly effortless.

Laeleth cupped some of the water from the icy stream in her hand and raised it to her lips. It was chilling but refreshing as the wind from the ride had parched her throat.
The sun overhead had risen to midday and the clouds were not as dark this high in the mountains. The light filtered down in beautiful beams of weak warmth.

Laeleth allowed the heavy cloak to fall from her shoulders as she now felt rather warm and comforted. In a strange way she felt relieved to be far from her childhood home. That village held nothing but morbid memories for her now.

A harsh cry was heard on the gentle breeze that floated across the land. She recognized it as a rook’s call and realized it must be how this place had got its name.

Laeleth rather enjoyed it here as it they rested briefly. Fantoma continued to drink lazily from the stream and occasionally nibble at some sparse grass. She noticed his coat was no longer spotted and resembled the whiter light of the day.
How she longed to just lie down here and take a long, untroubled nap! These last few days had been quite trying on her and she was again growing tired.

Gabriel noticed her tranquil state as her head leaned against her hand, her eyes closed.

“We cannot delay long, Laeleth,” he warned in a kindly way, “this place might appear peaceful, but it is still quite dangerous. Evil has no borders.”

She glanced up at him and looked disappointed, but she knew he was right. She looked around regretfully at the thought of leaving so soon.
“How far will Fantoma take us?” she asked Gabriel.
He helped her stand and then gently lifted her back onto the refreshed stallion.

“As far as necessary,” he replied with a calm, assuring smile. “He does not tire like ordinary horses.”

Pulling himself up behind her he wrapped the cloak around her shoulders. He then grasped the full, elegant mane of the now white Fantoma.

But before setting off, Gabriel leaned towards Laeleth and kissed her neck lightly.
“Whatever happens, you need not fear. I will do whatever I must to end this,” he whispered softly.

Laeleth was surprised at his words as she never truly knew what he was thinking.
He must have been deep in thought all this time much like she had been.

She longed to know what he meant! Was he only concerned for her own well-being?
Or did he desire a different fate for himself?

But there was no time for questioning him now.
Fantoma swished his tail impatiently and at Gabriel’s signal they were once more on their way.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5M 28 1
Book Three Available on Patreon: patreon.com/DRK_Stories
6.9K 491 50
The sequel to Castlevania: Of Darkness and Light. Emmaline Tepes always believed in guardian angels, people out there to help and guide you througho...
2.1K 50 13
It's been several months since Dracula was killed by his own son, Alucard. Several months since Alyx Belmont last saw her brother, Trevor, after he...
440 57 14
Aurelia Potter finds herself torn between love and duty. As the twin sister of the famed Harry Potter, she navigates a complex web of relationships...