Dying to Live

Von MackieJay

Sometimes there are no happily ever afters, only devastating heartbreak. Does that mean we shouldn't enjoy th... Mehr

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32

Chapter 26

2.3K 110 9
Von MackieJay

ADAM, June

OK so I might've overdone it a little bit last night, but it was totally worth it.

I was a happily married man. I never thought I'd get to say those words together out loud, but Zoe made it possible when she walked into that dive bar back in February and completely changed my plot line. I had a wife and she was sleeping naked next to me.

How fucking sexy was that?

I tried to roll over so that I could kiss her awake, but my body was having none of it.

OK, less sexy...

The pain was unbearable, the second I attempted to move.

Yeah, I definitely overdid it last night. I shouldn't have gotten so ambitious, especially after we got in bed and pulled up the sheets. I stretched myself far too thin all for the sake of an orgasm and this morning I was suffering the consequences big time. I needed fucking pain relief now.

"Zoe," I whispered, hating the way my voice sounded like an old man's in my ears. I brushed my hand down the groove of her back and she slowly began to stir underneath my touch. "Hey baby, sorry... but I have a favor to ask you."

Yeah, nope. Not sexy. Not sexy at all.

I barely even saw the first 24 hours of married life because I was too busy sleeping through it all. Zoe brought up some breakfast with a side of pills sometime in the early hours of the afternoon and we ate together, talking every now and then, but mostly just enjoying each other's company without having to say a word at all.

I kept catching her staring at the new bling on her left hand, and every single time she was smiling to herself.

We went downstairs for a little while for a change of scenery. We opened a few of the smaller wedding presents outside on the deck while Joplin played with her tennis ball. I took some more pain meds and I was back in bed by four o'clock.

It was dark when I woke up again. Actually, it was something that woke me up, but as I blinked the drowsiness away, I couldn't figure out just what it was. I ran my clammy hands over my face and let out a raspy breath. My chest felt heavy, like a block of cement was sitting on my rib-cage. I was struggling to catch my breath.

I coughed a few times and pain shot through my side. It was like a thousand white-hot needles were stabbing me from the inside, over and over again, with no signs of stopping.

I was drenched in cold sweat. The whole bed was soaked in it.

Every movement I made felt stiff and uncoordinated, but I eventually got out of bed and ripped everything off: the sheets, the pillows, everything, until it was just the bare mattress on top of the upholstered panel bed. If I had any of the strength I used to have when I was still 210 lbs of muscle, I probably would've flipped the mattress too.

What time was it? I swiped my finger over my phone and ignored all of the text message notifications. It was probably just people asking me how I was doing, or congratulating me on the wedding. If it was anything important, people knew to call Zoe if I didn't respond to my phone. I could read through them later. I looked at the time.

9:39pm.

I walked into the bathroom and turned the light on, but immediately wished I hadn't. I caught my reflection in the mirror and sighed. God, I looked like a ghostly white, scaly monster from a horror movie.

I tore my eyes away and stripped out of my clothes. I needed to take a shower and brush my teeth. So I turned the water on and waited until it was lukewarm before stepping inside. I barely had the energy to wash myself, and the worst part was that this wasn't the chemo.

It was the cancer. It was winning.

My clock was ticking faster and faster, I could feel it.

I got dressed again in fresh clothes and put my old sweatpants in the laundry hamper. I noticed for the first time that Zoe must've cleaned up the room while I was asleep just a few feet away. I must've been really out of it if I didn't hear her at all. Her wedding dress was hung up in the closet and my suit was back in its plastic bag and hanging behind the door. I stepped on a few wilted petals on my way out the door.

The hardwood floor was cold underneath my feet when I came downstairs. Zoe was listening to music, lost in her own little world as she did the night's dishes. Somebody must've been over to eat with her because there were multiple plates, glasses and cutlery waiting to be dried.

She didn't hear me come into the kitchen so I walked right up to her and promptly grabbed her ass with both hands, squeezing. She let out a loud squeak, turned to face me with a raised spoon as her weapon, and with her other hand she completely drenched me with soapy dishwater.

"Shit, I'm so sorry! Oh my God, I didn't think—" she trailed off, looking me up and down before bursting into a fit of giggles. "What the hell, Adam? I could've been washing a fucking knife!" she gasped and swatted me on the chest with the wet dishcloth.

"If I knew you were gonna do that I wouldn't have showered first," I said and smiled weakly. She swatted me again, but the surprise was gone from her face. She looped her arms around my waist and pressed her face into my chest. In a split second, she melted into my arms.

"I missed you," she whispered.    

"I know. I'm sorry I've been a shitty husband so far... I didn't mean to just leave you all alone all day," I replied.

"It's OK," she said, the words muffled against my skin. She tilted her chin up and stared into my face. I brushed some stray hairs away from hers and kissed her. "You're not a shitty husband. You remembered to brush your teeth before kissing your wife, that's like, ten points right there," she sighed and kissed me again, a brief little peck on the lips before she turned her attention back to washing plates.

I grabbed a towel and helped her out, it was the least I could do.

"Who came over for dinner?" I asked.

"Skye and my mom, actually," Zoe replied with an arched brow. "It's so weird. My mom's been so nice lately. She helped me make dinner and didn't criticize me once!" She let out a strange giggle, but I could tell by the expression on her face that she was happy about the new development. I knew the woman wasn't exactly the easiest person to get along with, Zoe had told me countless stories, but I also knew what it was like to constantly be searching for a parent's approval.

I wasn't exactly close to my dad. He barely even spoke to me at my own wedding, and it wasn't because we weren't on good terms or anything. He was just the strong and silent type. He didn't talk about his feelings or anybody else's.

Maybe I took after him a little.      

Zoe had work the next day and I had chemo, so most of our time was spent apart. My mom was still in town so she came with me. I got checked out from head to toe by my oncologist, I got through all of the initial paperwork and blood work that needed to get done to make sure I wasn't too sick for treatment, and while we were waiting for the chemo portion of my hospital visit, I took my mom out to get us some food.

I was still feeling very much worse for wear, and I could tell my mom was seeing it in my face and the way I moved so sluggishly. She was a bit less receptive to all of my stupid jokes and did just a bit more coddling than usual.

There were good days and bad days when it came to my mom. Sometimes she kept it together for me and pretended like nothing was wrong. Other days, I saw the woman that was struggling to come to terms with the fact that she was going to outlive her son.

Today was one of those days. She was barely hanging on.

My brother was on his lunch break and since he was doing some contract work not too far from the restaurant we'd picked out, he decided to meet us there. He was the same as always, nothing new about his behavior.

"Hey chrome dome, how's married life treating you?" he greeted me with a slap on the shoulder before slipping into my booth and nudging my arm playfully. "Hey momma, you look beautiful as always. Where's the menu at? I'm fucking starving." My brother, ladies and gentlemen, he was ever the charmer.

Between my brother and I, we were pretty good at changing the mood a little bit for the better. It was just a little bit easier to smile and joke around when he was here. It was like old times.

And then it was time to head back to the hospital again. I hugged my brother and he held on a little bit longer than usual. Maybe he was a little different after all. Maybe he did notice things.

When I walked into the familiar room up in oncology and didn't see Parker sitting there waiting for me, I wasn't surprised. I knew now that she was in remission. She was at home. Her hair was probably already starting to grow back. She'd get to go back to school and be with her friends. Soon enough, maybe in a couple more months, she'd get the test results she'd been waiting for; the ones that'd tell her she was finally cancer-free after so many years of pain and heartache. She was waiting for news I was never going to get and that was OK.

I was so happy for her and her family.

I got to meet her mom a few weeks ago and sat down to have lunch with her during one of my hospital visits. She couldn't stay long. She had a meeting with Finances downstairs. She told me her daughter kept talking about me all the time. She had my drawing on her bedroom wall, right above her bed. There were tears in her eyes when I told her about my own diagnosis. She said she'd be praying for me. People said that to me a lot these days, but that time around my smile was genuine when I thanked her.

Yeah, I was really happy for them. She was a cute kid and she deserved to live a long and happy life. One of us had to.

It was the same nurse that administered my anti-sickness drugs and put an IV in my veins. She saw the ring on my finger that wasn't there last week and pointed it out to me, as if it was supposed to be a surprise to me too.

"I got married this week," I grinned proudly.

"Oh that's awesome, congratulations," she smiled.

"Yeah, I'm a pretty lucky guy," I told her, which was probably a little bit ironic, coming from the guy with terminal cancer getting systematically poisoned to about an inch away from death. But I mean, come on, have you seen my wife?

God I was so lame.

I smiled to myself as the nurse called me 'good to go' and walked away to tend to another patient across the room. I got my ear-buds out and untangled them before looking through my Audible playlist for the book I started almost two weeks ago: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. Parker would probably laugh in my face if she knew I was still only on the fourth chapter. Harry had just met Hagrid for the first time.

Ah well, what can you do? I preferred TV and movies. 

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

112K 2.8K 41
Do you ever wonder what life would be like if it were a movie? Or some sappy romance novel that you wish your life could be like but it's not? Someti...
36.9K 1K 17
Being a golden girl with daddy issues, Ari Hale gets caught up with the exquisitely handsome Mason Walsh who doesn't like to get close to people. Som...
1.3K 61 31
[COMPLETED] It all started with a dare. One dare. A few little words, whispered during a party. A few little words that changed the entire year. F...
Alexa. (#1) Von 🌻

Jugendliteratur

387K 10.9K 48
#908 in Teen Fiction '9/12/2016' #788 in Teen Fiction '18/1/2017' Life could be really tough. It could be sunshine-y and peachy but just like that, i...