Shattered

By SodaMahone

Everything they had and knew - had been shattered. WARNING: This book contains mature content. Started: 30th... More

Note
PROLOGUE
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
CHAPTER NINETEEN
CHAPTER TWENTY
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE
EPILOGUE: PART ONE
EPILOGUE: PART TWO
Goodbye Lovelies ♥ (OLD NOTE)

CHAPTER FIVE

5.1K 297 566
By SodaMahone

Song For Chapter: Stay by Rihanna featuring Mikky Ekko

(Narrator's Pov)

Junior year had taken a tough toll on Lucas. Nothing but an immense amount of stress had been showered upon him. There were constant days when he'd return home from school with a burning headache, aching body and completely tired mind. On top of all the stress and fatigue school brought him, working a part time job at 'Old Riley's Mechanic' garage only added onto how drained out he felt. He was thankful that the day he was awaiting to arrive, had finally done so.

Summer - it was finally summer break.

No more restless nights, no more forcing himself out of bed early in the morning, no more days he'd force his mind to work - because it was finally summer, alas. Just the thought of finally going home and relaxing made his stomach feel giddy. 

This was what felt freedom felt like, he thought to himself.

Along with Lucas, who was more than excited to head home and get this summer break started, was his best friend - Nina. Matching the excitement and joy Lucas felt, she was imagining all the things she wouldn't do this summer and what she'd force herself to do - like getting a job. 

Freshmen year had finally come to an end and although seeing Lucas everyday and having the same lunch break as him weighed out her day - she was beyond thankful that the year was finally over. Mostly for the fact she'd no longer be at the bottom of the school. And maybe, just maybe, Lucas' 'friends' (if you could call them that) would stop looking at her as if she was so small.

But at least she knew Lucas didn't look at her that way. He treated her with respect, knowing she was a maturing teenager just like himself, regardless if she was two years younger than him. He understood her well and that was what she adored most about him.

"Come on, laces." Squeezing her hand in his, Lucas led her out of the school gates, mumbling 'See you' to any of his fellow basketball team members. Nina went along with him, smiling at a few people herself and waving to some that she classed as her friends. She squeezed his hand back when he ended up getting stuck in a conversation with one of his fellow teammates, knowing he was thinking of heading home to do absolutely nothing.

"See you, man." Greg, the center player said, exchanging a brief man hug with Lucas. "You too, little brown."

Nina smiled, playfully rolling her eyes. She didn't need to be reminded constantly of her age and height difference with Lucas and all of his friends, but she knew Greg meant no harm. He was one of the only few friends of Lucas' she actually liked.

"Later, man." Lucas called out and then didn't hesitate to lead Nina with him, a giggle of excitement leaving her lips absently. "What's funny, laces?"

"I'm just excited to go home and do... nothing!" She laughed again, causing Lucas to join in with her. Happiness and joy were the two intense feelings floating around inside of them. Nothing could ruin their day. In-fact, they could only make it better. Like by buying ice cream.

"But before we head home, quick stop at Toon Spoon?" Lucas offered with an arched brow.

"Don't mind if I do." Nina replied with a grin. The two held hands all the way to Toon Spoon, an ice cream/dessert shop that was known for selling the best cotton candy ice cream in the entire city of Seattle.

Together the pair entered the dessert shop, noticing a few people from their school who had also gone to celebrate their last day with a similar treat. Nina couldn't control the smile that played on her lips as they waited in line, the touch and tingle of Lucas' hand only sparking her joy.

A lot of people looked at them weirdly. A lot of people asked them what they were. A lot of people question if whether they were really friends or something more. But Nina and Lucas would always avoid answering that question, not believing they owed anything to anyone. 

Besides, neither of them truthfully knew what they were. After the kiss the best friends had shared two summers ago, things changed between them. It wasn't a fast, immediate change - no. It was a rather gradual, slow progression that let them take things in and think. 

But both Lucas and Nina knew they weren't just best friends. They knew best friends didn't always hold hands, sneak off to their secret spot to make out and sometimes sneak into each others bed to lay next to each other. They were far from being just best friends, but were definitely still best friends. Their friendship had not been tarnished even with their relationship's progression. They were best friends but with something special.

Glancing down at the soft brunette with a warm smile playing on her pink, full lips, he couldn't help but want to lean down and steal a kiss from her. But people were around them. And maybe that was a little too boyfriend-y of him to do? 

A lot of times, their lack of declaring what they were, it frustrated Lucas. Not to say it didn't frustrate Nina, especially when other girls would try flirt with him; the times she was more than tempted to claim him as her own. But it frustrated Lucas greatly, he too faced the same feeling of envy when he saw boys closer to Nina's age eye her up, even when he heard a few girls talk distastefully about her, making up all sorts of absurd rumours about her - just because she was the only girl who had Lucas' attention. 

Jesus, couldn't people just mind their own business?

Lucas thought to himself, absently clenching his jaw with the thought of the nosy people surrounding him, sticking their nose into things that didn't concern them. The only thought that relaxed him that moment, was that it was summer break and he would go a month or two without seeing them. That would suffice for him.

First in line, the best friends walked towards the glass barrier, behind where various different ice cream flavours awaited to be chosen.

"Hey, what can I get you?" The chirpy blonde that looked to be in her early twenties questioned, smiling as her eyes darted between them.

"Hey, can I get a scoop of cotton candy and bubble gum. And another scoop of cotton candy and chocolate fudge?" Lucas answered, already aware what Nina wanted. She secretly smiled to herself, unable to hold back from gently squeezing his hand in appreciation.

"Sure," The blonde flashed them a toothy smile and went ahead, pulling out a small cup to scoop their choice of ice cream into it. Whilst they waited, Lucas and Nina exchanged glances, both their expression of happiness reflecting on each others faces as if they were looking into a mirror.

"Here you both are," The blonde placed the two cups on top of the glass barrier and went to type up the amount they owed. After Lucas wordlessly paid for the two, Nina giving him a knowing glare, the two were forced to let go of each others hands.

"Can I just say? Y'all are an adorable couple," The blonde told them with a warm smile, making Nina blush and Lucas to chuckle. The two walked outside the shop, Lucas still laughing at Nina's flustered face.

"Stop it," Nina mumbled, digging into her scoops that were melting under the heat of the sun the very second they stepped outside.

"You're adorable, laces." He murmured and licked the back of his own plastic, green spoon. Nina blushed harder at his words, but thankfully this time the red painted on her face could be blamed on the burning sun.

Laughing and talking none stop, the pair made their way home, stuffing their mouths with the delicious dessert. It was as they neared towards their home, light rain began to patter down from the ground.

"Trust it to rain in summer," Nina commented.

"What else can we expect from Seattle?" He raised his brows, amused. "Did you remember to clear out your locker?"

"Yep," Nina popped the p. "I found an old pickle sandwich in there... I can't believe I was that person."

Lucas laughed. "End of Freshmen year, I found a half eaten hot dog and pack of open chips."

"Gross... How did we not smell that stuff rotting?"

"Probably cause we're in there for a second and have our heads out the next," Lucas shrugged, aimlessly throwing his paper cup and plastic spoon into a bin, from a distance. 

"Woah, no need to show off. We all know you're more than capable of getting a ball into a net, Mr Point-guard." Nina teased, mentioning his position on the school's basketball team.

Lucas grinned down at her, noticing the drop of melted cream on her chin and didn't hesitate to lean down and lick it away. She giggled and whined, pushing him away lightly.

"Gross, Lucas."

"So sweet," He winked, knowing his innocent best friend would blush like always. Laughing at her expected reaction, he walked closer towards her and swung an arm around her shoulder. The familiar scent of her blueberry shampoo floated inside of his nostrils, making him sigh in content at the fragrance.

"Lu, I can't wait to go home." Nina absently said, eating the last of her nearly melted ice cream. "This school year felt as if it's been going on forever."

He smiled in agreement, squeezing her arm gently. "Me too, laces."

It felt so long ago since the eight and ten year old crossed paths. It was almost like there was never a time the pair never knew of each others existence. In-fact, it was hard for both of them to think back to a time when either of them weren't present in their lives. It was as if the day they met - they truly began living. Before that, it just felt as if they were just born into this large, lonely world.

As the two neared towards the group home, they slowly let go of each others hand. Whether they liked it or not, the foster home had certain rules. They were tolerate enough to let foster children to like one another and date outside of the house, but there was a huge no when it came to showing any PDA whatsoever. So they kept their innocent best friend façade prominent when they arrived back, knowing Mrs Diam (formerly known as the mean care lady) had her eye on them. 

As Lucas twisted the set of keys he'd been given, due to being one of the eldest boys residing at the house, he stepped inside, Nina following right behind him. However, the second the best friends entered the large home, there was instantly a feeling that rubbed them off in the wrong way. It was the way Lucas' throat abruptly began churning and Nina felt the need to nervously nibble down on her lip.

"You hungry for some real food?" Lucas asked, distracting himself from the strange feeling of something bad about to happen embracing him. 

"Sure," Nina nodded, flashing Lucas a smile, and forcing herself to stop biting her lip. But the very second Justin and Nina headed to the kitchen, Mrs Diam appeared from her little office, a stern expression playing on her face as always. The possibility of seeing this woman smile or laugh was as high as the possibility of roses singing - impossible.

"Lucas, may I borrow you for a second?" Her nonchalant voice questioned.

"What for?" Lucas let the words slip out, curiosity badgering inside of him.

"Come with me and you'll find out."

"Can Nina come too?"

"No," Mrs Diam immediately replied, her gaze shifting over to the brunette for a split second. "But as soon as we're done speaking, you can come find her."

"Fine." Lucas muttered, clearly unhappy. Nina hesitantly reached out and gave his muscular arm a soft squeeze.

"I'll be waiting right here." Hearing those words, Lucas nodded and went to follow Mrs Diam into her little office. Whilst he done so, Nina waited outside for him, shifting her gaze to the pile of magazines laid out on the coffee table. She wondered why Mrs Diam needed to speak with Lucas and more importantly, why she couldn't be there. It had to be something serious if they needed all of this privacy and especially if Mrs Diam was being so formal about it. Normally she'd throw an insult or two slyly at them.

Nina sighed, trying to shake these sudden negative thoughts flowing around in her mind. She needed to relax! It was the end of her school year and Lucas and her would do all fun and exciting things this summer. She tried focusing on that and felt a little better, but the longer Lucas took, the more paranoid she got.

Nina also noticed nobody else was home other than the little kids, who could be heard playing inside the play room. Other than that, she didn't see any fellow foster kid above the age of ten. It made her wonder where everyone was but then decided it was probably because they all had plans for today. It was the last day of the school year, after all.

But then finally, at last, the boy who made her feel all sorts of things appeared, a sullen, angry, frustrated expression playing on his lips.

"Lucas?" His name fell softly from her lips, confusion present in her tone. Her response was  heavy silence, that made her heart ache and curiosity only grow.

"I'm leaving." Lucas abruptly stated, shocked at hearing his own words. "I'm fucking leaving, laces."

"W-What?" Nina stuttered over her words. "W-What do you mean you're leaving?!"

"My fucking, I- I don't know what the fuck he is to me, he came to fucking collect me! Collect me like I'm some fucking little child, like the one he left on the doorstop to this fucking home years ago!" His voice boomed as he let out the anger. Nina's eyes watered, her heart racing as she tried comprehending what on earth was happening.

"Lucas," Nina sobbed, shaking her head at him, not believing what he saying. This had to be some sort of sick nightmare. "You can't leave me here."

"I'm not." Lucas confirmed, walking over to her and cupping her face inside of his hands, his fingers wiping her tears away. "I'm not leaving you, laces. They can't fucking take me away from here. That fucking man in that room brought me here when I was three. I'm not some fucking dog they can drag around wherever they like, whenever they like."

"Lucas," The unfamiliar man's voice sounded in both of their ears, Lucas' hands on Nina's face abruptly turning tense.

"Fuck off, bastard." Lucas spat out, having no respect or regard for the man watching the pair with distant eyes.

"I'm afraid to tell you, son, but I won't be fucking off anywhere without you." The man told him with a straight face. "I'll give you ten minutes to pack your things. While you do that, I'll be waiting inside the car outside."

Lucas' jaw clenched as the resentment for the man he barely knew grew. Hearing Nina's quiet sob, he turned around and felt his own heart ache.

"Laces, baby," He cooed with sad eyes. 

"What the fuck is going on, Lucas?" She helplessly asked.

He exhaled deeply, shaking his head at her. "I don't know, Nina. Laces, I don't know what the fuck is going on."

"I don't want you to go." Nina cried. "Please don't."

"I won't." He told her, looking right into her watery eyes, feeling his own water at the sight of them.

But deep down, both of them knew that wasn't going to be happening. The man had said what he had said with great authority that was most likely backed up by the law. He was going to take Lucas away from this foster home that he had grown up in and introduce him to a whole new way of living. Neither of them knew how significant his departure from the house would be. More so, how his departure would end being greatly effective in all ways.

It was moments after Mrs Maroon had packed his things and he was given a long lecture by his uncle who told him he'd have to call the police here if he didn't comply, Lucas found himself standing regretfully by the door. Nina stood across from him, the tears still present in her eyes and face.

"The second you turn eighteen, laces, I'm coming to get you and we'll leave together." He whispered to her, holding her face inside of his hands. "We'll go somewhere far, start off fresh... Just you and me, baby."

"Promise?" Nina helplessly whispered.

"Promise." Lucas didn't hesitate to say so. With shaky hands, he trailed his hands away from her face and grabbed a hold of her waist, pulling her warm body into his. 

It was a sad, intense moment between the best friends. Neither of them knew what laid ahead in the future for them. The moment they met each other had greatly changed their lives and the moment he'd leave Nina would only have the same impact. Just much greater. 

"I'll miss you." 

"I'll try see you everyday."

"I'll visit you."

"We'll still see each other everyday at school, it'll be like normal."

"You can come over and we can have proper sleepovers."

"Everything will be the same. Nothing will change."

The emptiness and falseness of their words was never a prominent reality at the moment in time. It was only in the future they'd learn that life had a different plan for the pair and the words they had uttered would have no real meaning.

Life was going to change for the best friends.

Not for better - far from it.

It'd all become shattered for them.

•••••

(AN) Hey guys! Wow this chapter was hard to write and plan out without making no sense. I hoped you all enjoyed it, because now is the real beginning to the book! I hope you're all excited and ready to read on! What are your thoughts?

Comment AND Vote

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

163K 4.4K 41
"YOU are mine and I DON'T LIKE TO SHARE WHAT IS MINE" As they say once a deal is made there are certainly no loopholes. When everything is put in a...
76.1K 3.3K 176
This story follows the early life of James also known by his street name Headshot or Shooter. James had an extremely rough childhood, one that turned...
2.3M 90.4K 47
Alexander Viotto-Ashford is a man of mystery. He goes through life with an intense glare, not caring who he hurts. Constantly on the move to manage h...
1.5M 48.1K 53
"Are you done staring at me?" He asked and she blushed then looked away. She wanted to walk away so bad but she was scared that Ethan might kill her...