Started as His Girlfriend (Se...

By KawaiiRilakxKuma

*****SEQUEL TO STARTED AS HIS TUTOR***** Wendy and Vincent start off their senior year as a couple. However... More

Shoulder Slapping
Seats
Captain
Missed Oppurtunities
Just Because
Honest Liar
Never Have I Ever
Binge-Eating Buddy
Stop Caring
Can't Sleep
Morning Coffee
Bottled
Guardian Angel
Branded
Happy Again
What Really Matters
Wet Socks and Wet Tears
Pandora's Box
Treasure
Never Not
Fool
Quit
Genie in a Gravy Boat
I'm Not Drunk!
Smirk
Naive
Don't Cry
Behind the Picture
Gentleman
Future
Sides of the Same Coin
Thank You
Sandwiches and Vegetables
Mind Reader
Six Years Later
What's Next?
New Book
Third Book Now Out!!!

Pinkie Promise

4.7K 191 53
By KawaiiRilakxKuma

Vincent's POV

I watch as Mom sets down her biggest purse onto the kitchen table and shoves an entire box of tissues inside along with a camera.

"I get why you're bringing the camera, but the tissues?"

"Oh, I'm going to ball my eyes out," Mom says. "I might as well bring snack," she shrugs, going to the pantry for granola bars.

"Don't be upset. I'll visit you during breaks," I try to comfort her.

"Oh, I'm not upset you're leaving for college. I'm upset about Wendy."

I take a big sigh.

"Mom, I already told you. Wendy and I-"

"Are perfect for each other," she interrupts. "I can't believe you guys broke up... I'm getting upset again, so let's move on," Mom frowns, zipping up her bag.

"Mommy! I can't find my glitter tutu!" Veronica shouts from upstairs.

"Coming!" Mom shouts back before turning to scan me. "Vincent, didn't I tell you to iron your graduation gown last night?"

"Too late now, " I shrug.

"You're helpless," Mom shakes her head, walking out of the kitchen and up the stairs.

As Mom leaves, Dad walks into the kitchen, straightening his tie. He sees me and we freeze, looking at each other without saying anything. I pick up my graduation cap and get ready to leave when he speaks up.

"Vincent, may I have a word with you?"

I'm caught off guard. Usually, he gives me commands, not questions. Standing for a second, I consider his request.

"Please," he reiterates.

His voice is not cold and formal like usual. Instead it is soft-spoken. Given that he's not forcing me and is already seating himself at the kitchen table, I sit down as well. Setting my cap on the table, I let my hands fall into my lap. I don't know how to behave around him with just us two, so I stay still without fidgeting.

Dad clears his throat and clasps his hand together and sets them on the table, as if he's at a business meeting. He notices it and sets his hands onto his lap like me, sitting straight and still.

"What is it?" I ask, a bit cold since I'm used to using the tone with him.

"Oh, um..." he pauses. Dad is the type of person to be direct and straight to the point. Seeing him ponder his words makes me more attentive. "I'm sorry."

My eyes widen for a second, but I look down the table slightly to avoid Dad's face. He does the same, looking off to the side. We recompose ourselves, and he continues.

"I'm sorry I've been hard on you. I thought I knew what was best for you, but I don't. Wendy does..."

"What do you mean?"

He pauses again in deep thought.

"Those acceptance letters you got weren't from the business schools I made you apply to. They were from schools Wendy applied to for you."

Wendy applied for me? And Dad knew?

"I threw away the business school letters," he confesses.

"So, the school I'm going to isn't for business?"

"No. Wendy picked other ones with good biology programs."

Since Dad had forced me to apply to several colleges known for their business programs, I grudgingly did it, not bothering to give their names even a second glance after applying. Even when the acceptance letters I had received were from completely different colleges, I guess I didn't notice.

"I was wrong about Wendy. During your internship, Wendy came to visit, and I said things that were way out of line, and that was probably the reason why things ended between-"

"If you're trying to say that Wendy broke up with me because of something you said, you're giving yourself too much credit, and you're underestimating Wendy..."

He looks up in surprise at my reaction, as if he had expected me to get angry. I expected myself to get angry too, but I didn't. Maybe because I knew Wendy too well.

No matter what Dad had said to her or acted towards her for the past two years, Wendy has always been polite towards him. For the most part, they ignored and avoided each other. Another comment wouldn't have changed her mind. She had already made up her mind by then.

"Wendy has her own reasons I'm sure. I don't know what, but it's definitely not because of you," I correct him.

He slumps his shoulders and rubs his eyes wearily while looking down.

"Still, I'm sorry. It doesn't excuse how I acted, but I'm still sorry," he says, lifting his head back up at looking at me. His sincere expression catches me off guard and I look away to avoid his eyes once again.

"Just don't treat her bad in the future...She's going to be your future daughter-in-law..."

"But, aren't you two-"

"I'll make it happen," I confidently slam my fist on the table. There's a silence before a small grin curls on his face. Embarrassed, I tuck my hand back under the table.

"Good, I hope you do," Dad nods.

He slides out his chair and gets up, slowly walking out of the kitchen. A few moments later, he's back with a gift bag in hand, which he places onto the table in front of me. I look up, puzzled why he would ever get me a gift. Even on my birthday, it had always been Mom's responsibility.

"It's from Wendy," he explains, noticing my confusion. He says nothing else, leaving the bag with me and walking out of the kitchen again.

I try to hide my excitement until he finally left. Springing up from my seat, I grab the bundle of green tissue paper from the top and toss them aside. I shove my hand inside the bag and feel a soft, silky fabric. Wrapping my hand around one end of it, I pull the soft plush out, revealing a neck pillow. Immediately, I feel my stomach shaking with laughter. Of course Wendy had gotten me one with turtle prints all over it. Usually, Wendy prefers land turtles, but they were sea turtles of varying colors- lime green, teal, and blue.

"Hurry, Vincent, or we'll be late!" Mom calls, and I hear the engine of the car starting.

Taking one more look at the neck pillow, I tuck it carefully back into the gift bag and pick up the tissue from the ground, trying to neatly place it on top of the pillow like it was originally.

There was not much to graduation except a lot of speeches and clapping. Mom was right to bring an entire box of tissues, because she ended up sharing the box with her colleagues, who were also balling their eyes out as we walked across the stage. Since Mom was a teacher, she sat near the front. However, Dad and Veronica had to sit in the back with the rest of the parents. Since we came later than other families, they were in the last row, Still, when I walked up the stage, I saw Dad clapping for me. For the first time, I felt that he was somewhat proud of me.

After the ceremony, Mom gathers all of us for a picture.

Carson stands with Ally in front of him at the end. Evelyn and Olivia opt for the very middle front, with Luke standing behind them. Logan stands next to Luke, trying to avoid being whacked in the face with Luke's excited, failing arms as he tries to find a pose. Vivian and Wendy had chosen the other end, leaving me the space in front of Logan. Since we are the same height, I try tilting my head to the right and Logan tilts his to the left, so we can all be in the picture.

"Um, Vincent, you're too tall. Go to the end," Mom instructs.

I follow her directions and head to stand next to Ally and Carson.

"No! The other end," she redirects me, pointing to where Vivian and Wendy are standing.

I switch my direction and stand next to Vivian, who is hugging Wendy's neck from behind.

"Now, it's uneven," Mom sighs. "Um, one of you girls go stand in front of Logan- actually, Wendy stay. Vivian, you go."

Everyone turns to stare at Vivian, who hesitantly makes her way over in front of Logan. I step into Vivian's spot behind Wendy. Mom finally starts snapping pictures and we do different poses- normal, funny, angry, etc. Once Mom finishes her mini photo-shoot, everyone disperses to meet and talk to each other's parents.

I watch in horror as Mr. Lee approaches Dad. He extends his hand out to Dad.

"Sorry we haven't met. I'm Wendy's father," he smiles.

Dad accepts his hand and warmly smiles back, "I'm Vincent's father."

"Oh! So you're the man responsible for raising this gentleman," Mr. Lee chuckles, looking over at me.

"My wife deserves all the credit," he chuckles back. "Vincent's not quite impressive as your daughter though. She's a very nice kid," Dad compliments.

Wendy, who has also been standing in fear, is surprised by the first kind words about her to leave Dad's lips.

"Would you mind taking a picture for us?" Mom asks, holding out the camera to Mr. Lee.

"Oh, sure. But my youngest's probably better at than me. Wren!" he calls, waving Wren to step up. She takes the camera and waits for us to assemble.

Dad and I stand in the back. Mom stands in front of Dad, who rests his hand on her shoulder. I lift Veronica up and rest her against my side, since she complained about being shorter than the rest of us. Some of the glitter on her tutu gets on my robe. After Wren finishes, he hands back the camera to Mom.

"You should take a family too," Mom suggest to Mr. Lee.

"No, it's fine. I don't want to trouble you-"

"It's not bother at all. Come on!" Mom encourages, already holding up the camera and adjusting the lens.

Mr. Lee wraps one arm around Wren and the other around Wendy. Since Wren is taller than both him and Wendy, he is a bit lopsided. Nevertheless, he flashes the biggest smile I've ever seen. Wren tries to smile, but it looks as if she holding in a yawn from having to wake up so early. Wendy gives a gentle grin. After they finished, Mr. Lee and Dad go back to talking.

"Vincent," Mom grabs my arm. "Ask Wendy to take a picture with you."

"We just took pictures," I remind her.

"No, not a group one! Just you two."

"Mom," I groan. It rub the back of my neck and look at Wendy. She glances at me and I whip my head away.

"Wuss," Mom sigh, clicking her tongue. "Veronica, come here," she commands. "Go ask Wendy for a picture with you and your brother."

"Okay!" Veronica agrees without hesitation. She struts up to Wendy and grabs her wrist, walking her back towards us. "Let's take a picture," she states rather than asks.

Veronica grabs my hand with her hand and poses for the picture. Mom takes a few snaps before abruptly stopping.

"Huh, I wonder what's wrong with the camera," Mom raises a brow.

"You probably didn't charge the battery enough," I tell her. "I guess we're done then-"

"No! Stay!" Mom holds her hand out to stop us from leaving the spot. "Veronica sweetie, can you help me fix this camera?"

"I don't know!" Veronica whines.

"Veronica, please..." Mom asks again, drawing out the 'please'.

Veronica waddles her back and looks as Mom clicks the camera.

"What do you mean? It works fine!" Veronica shouts.

"Shush," Mom hushes Veronica, her sly smile finally emerging. "Stand closer you two! Hurry!"

"Wait for me," Veronica yells, trying to run back into the frame. Mom yanks her back.

"I'll buy you ice cream later, so stay put."

Veronica is tempted to take more pictures, but the ice cream wins her over. "Okay!"

"Stand closer!" Mom shouts again.

Wendy and I look at each other awkwardly before taking a few steps closer. Mom isn't satisfied until our shoulders are touching.

"Hug each other!"

"Mom!" I use my knit brows to signal for her to stop. Wendy's face glows red.

"Fine. I'll leave you two alone then," Mom forfeits, putting her camera back into her purse.

"Are we getting ice cream?" Veronica checks with Mom as they walk away.

This leaves Wendy and me standing alone. I kick at the grass and Wendy plays with the ends of her hair.

This is your last chance, Vincent!

"Wendy!" I say louder than I intended to, making Wendy jump in surprise. "Sorry." I sheepishly rub the back of my neck.

"It's fine," Wendy laughs.

"So... we graduated..." I say, not sure how to start a conversation.

"Yep..." Wendy nods.

We pause.

"Hey-" we begin in unison. "You first-" we interrupt each other again.

"You should go first, Wendy."

She nods and clears her throat.

"I haven't told this to anyone else yet, but I'm not going to college..."

"Wait, what?"

"I'm not going to college."

"I heard you, but why?" I ask. Wendy had always been a diligent student, so everyone always assumed she could get a scholarship anywhere she wanted.

"I want to open a bakery. I know it sounds stupid, but someone told me it's okay to do stupid things if that's what I want," Wendy tries to explain.

"Do it," I encourage. Wendy looks up, not expecting me to understand so quickly. "It's not stupid."

"Thanks," she smiles.

"Thanks for telling me...first," I smile to myself as I whisper the 'first'.

She told me first...

"What were you going to say?" Wendy asks.

"Oh." I stop to think back to what I was going to say, distracted by the idea of being 'first'. "Oh, I remember."

Wendy looks at me intently, prepared to listen carefully.

"I'm staying here with you. I can't go out-of-state if it means I can't see you everyday-"

"Vincent Miller!" Wendy yells.

My ears nearly burst from the boom of her voice. She grabs the collar of my robe and yanks my head down to be leveled with her's.

"Are you an idiot? How can you give up on what could be your dream college? If you stay here, I'll never talk to you ever again! Don't show your face to me if you're going to give up like this!" she scolds, her face flaming and nostrils flaring. Her fiery eyes burn into mine, sending sparks straight to my chest.

I smirk.

"It's not funny! I'm serious!"

"Are you going to punch me?" I ask, looking at her firm grip on my collar and her balled fist.

"If I have to knock some sense into you, I will," Wendy glares.

"Can I kiss you?" I ask.

"W-what? Vincent Miller, you better stop joking! This is serious!"

"This is the first time you've gotten mad at me. I didn't imagine you'd be this cute."

Wendy lets go and angrily stomps away, steam blowing out of her ears. I grab her hand and spin her back around.

"You applied for me to all those colleges right?" I ask.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Wendy denies, trying to play dumb.

"My dad told me you did."

Wendy stops to think what to say next, her lies exposed when she had barely started.

"Of course I'm going to college. I'm not letting your effort go to waste," I smile.

Wendy sighs in relief.

"Thanks for the neck pillow by the way. I'll make sure to bring it on the plane with me."

"You're welcome," Wendy blushes.

"Even if I go though, I don't know if I'll last in college. It's so much work and it's so long," I groan.

"Vincent Miller, you better-" Wendy warns, starting to get pissed off again.

"I need some motivation to last four years."

"You'll get a degree."

"Hmm, not tempting enough. How about you grant me a wish when I graduate?"

"What are you? Five?"

"Maybe," I shrug.

"Fine," Wendy agrees.

"Really? I didn't expect you to agree that fast."

"Well, if I said no, you were going to keep pestering me until I say yes. I'm just speeding up the process."

"You know me too well."

"If I don't, who will?" she grins. "I can't afford anything over a hundred dollars though."

"Cheapskate."

"Hey, you're talking to a girl who's worn clearance clothes her whole life. You should feel honored the maximum is a hundred."

"Fine. My wish doesn't even cost a cent anyways."

"It doesn't?"

"Nope. It's bought with a different currency."

"What?"

"Time."

Wendy ponders, trying to figure out what my wish could possibly be.

"Hurry and pinkie promise before you change your mind," I urge, holding my my pinkie to Wendy.

"You really are five," Wendy laughs.

"Just do it." I impatiently take Wendy's hand and curl her fingers for her so that only the pinkie is sticking out. I wrap mine around her's. "Pinkie promise?"

"Pinkie promise."

*****

Only one chapter left to go! We're so close you guys ahhh! I'm so excited to write the next chapter, and I'm sure you guys will like it. Thank you for sticking with me through this series. I'm so grateful for those who have stuck through this story with Vincent and Wendy through all their up's and down's. It will definitely be worth it. Trust me! Much love <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1K 61 41
Meet Avril. Two years after her parents' death and she's still struggling with her emotions towards them. When Dallas shows up at her school, Avril...
300 51 5
SEQUEL TO HIS TUTOR As Ishqi and Ahaan step into their senior year as a couple, the path ahead is anything but smooth. Ahaan's stunning family friend...
The Better Life By J

Teen Fiction

3.1K 94 24
Riley loves her brother more than anything in the world. They have always been there for each other since they were kids. If playing pranks and makin...
39.5K 1.1K 32
Julia thought senior year was gonna be the best year in her life. After ending a two year relationship and dealing with her mothers new marriage, it...