Call of the Water (COMPLETE)

By EminaRus

There is a whole world Azora has yet to discover. That is our world. The times have changed, humans have chan... More

Author's note
1. MY NEW LIFE
2. WORLDS APART
3. THE BEGINNING
4. GREEN AND BLONDE
5. WOLF EYES
6. VISITORS
7. THE WEREWOLF
8. ONE WITH THE WATER
9. AVOIDANCE
10. A MISTAKE
11. CORNERED
12. AZORA'S STORY
13. A STORY FOR A STORY
14. THE POWER OF THE FULL MOON
15. CALM AFTER THE STORM
16. WHITE DISTRACTION
17. THE SEARCH FOR THE LEGEND
18. ONE SECRET LESS
19. HIDDEN LEGENDS
20. LOST PRINCESS OF THE REEF
21. MORE THAN A STORY
22. A PROMISE
23. THE BOOK
24. Aq53
25. ALL THE CHANGES
26. STORM OF THOUGHTS
27. UNDER THE GLOVES
28. TWO OF US
29. BLUE IRISES
30. GOING BACK
32. PEARL OF THE SEA
33. UNDER THE BLUE SEA
34. GAME OF LIGHT AND SOUND
35. TEARS AND RAINDROPS
36. MEMORY LANE
37. IF LOOKS COULD KILL
38. SONG AMONGST THE FLOWERS
39. UNANSWERED QUESTIONS
40. RISING MOON
41. UNEXPECTED VISITOR
42. THE SECRET
43. PRINCESS' SHADOW
44. DISBELIEF
45. OTHERS LIKE HER
46. THE LOST WORDS
47. BROKEN TRUST
48. BEHIND THE CLOSED DOOR
49. DODGING THE QUESTIONS
50. DECEIVING EYES
51. THREE WEEKS
52. WHAT THE EYES DON'T SEE
53. ARDEA'S HOME
54. THROUGH THE GLASS
55. SETTING SAIL
56. AZORA
Awards and achievements

31. A HOUSE WITH THE YELLOW DOOR

111 16 69
By EminaRus

A small house on the beach had been my parent's home away from home for years. They spent their summers there swimming, diving, sailing and that one time, changing the life of an Aquantien girl forever.

That wooden house painted teal blue had a special place in my heart. Its yellow door matched the ones on our house in the suburb, but looking through its windows, one would not see cypresses or the tall grass. Instead, there was a sailor's paradise in the form of endless blue water that moved in synchrony with the movement of the Moon.

Last summer I made some wonderful memories with my new family in that house. Once all my stitches healed, I was allowed to swim. The first contact with the water after all those changes felt so strange. I must have drunk half the ocean before I learnt to keep my mouth shut when I was swimming.

My father bought me a very simple but unusual device that I put on my nose to prevent the water from coming in through the nostrils. Without gills, there was no way for it to get out. It would go straight to the lungs, causing waves of coughing.

Eventually, I got the hang of it. I learnt how to hold my breath while diving, a skill that was so unnecessary before. I even came to peace with the loss of speed caused by the lack of webbing between the fingers and toes.

Swimming in the ocean was the part of my former life that I missed the most.

As soon as the car pulled over, I jumped out. I could see the shimmering water, I could smell the salty air, I could hear the song of the waves. I suppose I too heard the water calling me.

Wait just a while longer, my thoughts whispered to the sea.

It seemed like it took forever to unload our luggage and carry it inside. The fact that I was constantly looking over my shoulder did not help speed things up.

"Go," my mother said with a smile that touched the corners of her eyes. "Make sure the sea is still salty."

She did not have to tell me twice. I ran towards the coast line. My footsteps made the gravel on the beach grumble. I kicked off my sandals and let the waves caress my bare feet.

I remembered the words my father had said soon after my transition to land was completed.

"When you dip a finger into the sea, you are connected to the entire world."

As I stood there, my feet connecting me to the whole world, my gaze fell upon a silhouette of a person standing on a stone pier not far from me.

The breeze tangled up its fingers into her hair, moving it away from her face. It played with the silk scarf around her neck, making it seem like fairy wings.

The more I stared at her, the more familiar her silhouette seemed. My feet moved on their own, taking me towards the woman standing on the pier. I startled her when I addressed her.

"Professor Cyan?" I said when I came close enough for her to hear me.

She turned around to look at me with wide open eyes. "Azora? What are you doing here? Have you followed me?"

Followed her? Of course didn't follow her. I had no idea that, of all the places in the world, I would meet her right here.

"No! My parents own a house here on the beach," I hurried to explain, pointing at the house with the yellow door. "They've been coming here for years and, now that I'm a part of their family, I've joined them."

"Isn't that just an astounding coincidence?" she said, but because of the way she said it, I seriously doubted she considered that coincidence to be astounding at all.

She turned her head towards the ocean. The wind picked up, sending the waves our way. They were spilling over the rocks as if they tried to taste them. Then the water would subside with a sound of whispering.

"Now I understand what you were talking about when you said that the water is calling you," I said softly. "There is nothing I would rather do than dive right in. The water is calling me too. I can feel it."

"Azora!" A voice traveled to us on the wings of the wind.

"Someone else is calling you as well," Ms. Cyan said as she turned to the source of the sound.

I looked over my shoulder. My father was standing on the beach, using the palm of his hand as a shield against the sun. I waved. "I'm over here!"

"Don't you want to unpack your suitcase?" He spoke loud enough to make sure I could hear him over the murmur of the waves.

"Not really," I muttered in undertone but out loud I said, "I'll be there in a minute!"

Before returning to our beach house, I turned to Ms. Cyan. "Would you come with me to meet my human parents?" I dared to suggest. "They are the most wonderful people and I'm sure they'd love to meet one of my favorite teachers."

She raised her eyebrows when she looked at me. "Flattering will not get you far, Azora. Although I'm sure your parents are wonderful people, I would prefer to postpone meeting them I came here in search for peace. I have been feeling restless lately, and I would be lying if I said that you weren't partly responsible for that."

"I'm sorry," I said. Yes, she was right. Since the moment I inadvertently said those words, something inside her changed.

I know you're an Aquantien.

On one hand, I was glad that she was the same race as I was, but on the other, I felt guilt because of the way I made that discovery.

She let her eyes wonder off in the direction of the sea again. Standing behind her, I sighed. I wanted to help her, to take away some of the burden she was forced to carry, but I didn't know how to turn my thoughts into words and actions.

We both startled when my mother spoke right behind us. "Hello," she said. "I'm Azora's mother, Helena Evers."

Ms. Cyan's swallowed as if there was a lump in her throat. Her body stiffened but somehow, she managed to turn around and face my mother. "Hello," she responded while her gaze fell on the outstretched hand of my mother. Somewhat reluctantly, she extended her hand and shook my mother's. I sincerely hoped that she wouldn't ask her about the gloves.

Ms. Cyan said nothing more. My mother's approaching must have taken her aback. So, for a while, we were all silent. If I had to explain someone the meaning of the phrase uncomfortable silence, I would describe that moment. To break it, I took the initiative and said, "This is Professor Cyan, my Literature teacher."

"Is it?" my mother asked and instantly her face lit up with a smile. "It's very nice to meet you."

Ms. Cyan smiled, just barely. With one of her hands she held the silk scarf to prevent the mischievous wind from accidentally unwrapping it, while the other hand tried to move strands of hair away from her face. This time she wore black gloves.

"Why are we standing here on the wind? Come, we have a very convenient shelter from unpleasant weather conditions right there on the beach," my mother said. The smile hadn't left her face. "Come on," she invited us, leaving no room for protests.

Ms. Cyan looked at me, and then at my mother. "Thank you for the invitation, but I do not wish to intrude. You just got here and I'm sure you would like to settle in."

"Don't be silly," my mother replied. "You will be no intrusion. You are our daughter's professor, and what kind of parents would we be if didn't at least offer you tea and biscuits?"

Ms. Cyan gave us another thin smile. Although reluctantly, she did follow my mother to the teal blue house. We were welcomed by the squeaky sound of the hinges of the shed doors.

"I have to oil that," my father mumbled to himself, unaware that he had company.

"Liam, we have a guest."

Hearing my mother's words, he turned to face us. His dark eyes looked at Ms. Cyan for a moment before he said, "You look very familiar. Have I met you before?"

"This is my Literature teacher, Professor Cyan," I hurried to explain. Her nervousness was almost tangible. Her eyes kept wandering around, refusing to settle on one object.

"Ah, I remember now," my father replied. "I saw you at Azora's school. We've never been properly introduced, though. I'm Liam Evers, Azora's father. I'd shake your hand, but mine are covered in dust and rust that accumulated on these," he patted one side of the shed doors, "over the months we were away."

"Well, it was nice to have met you," Ms. Cyan managed to utter the words. "As I said to your wife, I do not wish to take any of your valuable time. I see you've just arrived and I'm sure you'd like to settle in as soon as possible. I think it would be best if I left."

She already turned when my father's voice caused her to stop. "Nonsense! We came here to enjoy these several days that are ahead of us and that's exactly what we intend to do. The first thing on our list is diving. Have you ever been diving, Professor Cyan?" he asked, not knowing that it was the one question he should not have asked.

I would like to thank all the readers who made it this far reading Call of the Water. You are wonderful and don't you forget it!

Leave your comments, share your thoughts and suggestions. I'll appreciate it.

If you liked this chapter, do tap that little star.
💙

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 201 25
After hitting her head and falling unconscious at a park during her school trip, Snow woke up twenty years into the future... A future that is, where...
8.6M 262K 36
(The Trilogy is now complete) This novel was written in 2011 when I was 15 - I'm slowly editing but please forgive misspells , plot holes etc. Any s...
6.3M 196K 31
Do you know what mermaids love? The open water, swimming with their fish friends, laughing all day long.... You know what they hate? Being caught. Es...
16.6K 1.1K 22
Sylvia Okenji expected her final year of school to go like any other; surviving her classes, making memories with her friends, and not ripping her ta...