Kaun Kiska ✔️

By Veedeeann

A comparison of two relationships- one blossoming, the other decaying. One which starts with a compromise but... More

one: Endings And Beginnings
two: Promises Broken Promises Made
four: Lovers
five: Dusk and Dawn
six: Eat, Dance, Love
seven: Champagne Tastes
eight: Sexual Healing
nine: How to Cure a Hangover
ten: Mothers and Fathers
eleven: Nuptials
twelve: We Are Family
thirteen: Deal or No Deal
fourteen: Ever After

three: Schemer

5.7K 203 20
By Veedeeann

Raman
Raman sat in the passenger seat, next to Mihir who was driving. From time to time he glanced in the rear vision mirror to look at his son, who was sitting in the backseat between Mihika and Shagun.

He sighed as he thought over the events of the past few days.

He had been very angry with Adi after the false accusation he had made against Ishita. But more than Adi, he had blamed himself. He knew that somewhere, in the cold war that the relationship between Shagun and he had turned into, they had both failed their son.

Ruhi had been just six months old when Shagun left, and even though she had grown up devoid of the love of both her parents, she had had a loving family, grandparents who adored her, a chachu and two buas who spoilt her and an entire colony that loved her as their own.

But Adi ... Adi had been five years old when the split happened , old enough to understand, old enough to be forced to chose a side, old enough to be affected by the insecurity of not knowing where he belonged. He, Raman, had been forced out of his sons life by a court order, and Shagun had sent him to boarding school.

He thought back to his own childhood, secure in the unquestioned love of his parents and siblings, and choked back a tear as he thought again of how love had eluded his son.

He glanced in the mirror again, and watched as Adi slid his hand into Shaguns. Shagun held on to her sons hand tightly, and gave him a wavering smile. Raman watched as Adi put his head on his mothers shoulder, and saw her caress his head.

Raman sighed again.

Whatever he thought of Shagun, whatever her indifference to Ruhi spoke about her as a mother and a human being, there was no denying that she loved Adi and that Adi loved her. He would have to move very carefully, act with a great deal of thought and care when deciding what to do next.

He knew that whatever he had felt for Shagun in the past was long over. Whether it had been love, a youthful infatuation, lust or dependence, it was a thing of the past, and it was no longer something that Raman cared to analyse. However, their past had consequences for his present, because their past had produced the two children who, along with Ishita, were the loves of his life.

And for Adi, for his son, Shagun was his world, the only constant in his young life. So for Adi, Raman needed to make sure that Shagun was settled, that she was happy.

Adi's words came back to him, echoing in his ears, drowning out the noise of the Delhi traffic "Please take us home papa ... take US home...take us HOME ... home...home..."

Ishita and Ruhi's faces came unbidden before his eyes. He heard his own voice saying "Wait up for me, I'll be home soon... Home soon... home soon"

The car glided to a stop. They were at Mihir's building. Raman took a deep breath and opened his door.

Twenty minutes Later
Shagun
Shagun Arora was a fighter. She would not let this destroy her. Ashok could not do this to her. She would not be the laughing stock of Delhi. She would fight this. She would fight him. She would win. She would triumph.

She paced furiously around the bedroom she occupied in Mihir's flat. They had arrived here some twenty minutes ago and she had excused herself, telling everyone that she needed to change.

Mihika had offered to help her, but Shagun had impatiently brushed her aside.

"Adi, beta, you stay with papa. Mein abhi aati hoon" (Adi, you stay with papa, son. I'll be back soon) she had gently removed her sons clinging hands from her, had handed him over to Raman and had marched into her room.

Once inside her room though, she had thrown herself on the bed, fighting back the angry tears that pricked her eyes, composing herself, before she looked for the suitcases she had packed only this morning, in anticipation of moving back into Ashok's house again. "Correction" she told herself. "Not just Ashok"s house, my house too."

She had changed now, and now she was furiously thinking , thinking of how to turn the situation around, how to emerge victorious out of this mess. She knew she held a trump card that would shake Ashok to the core - well, there was no better time to use it, was there?

She walked up to the dresser, skilfully reapplying her make up to hide the ravaged look in her eyes. "You will win Shagun" she told herself again, as she walked out to the living room.

Adi
Adi looked sullenly at his father. He hated that Raman Bhalla, hated him for the grief he must have given to his mom, that had made his mom leave her marriage, hated that horrible wife of his, hated him, hated him, hated him.

But mom had told him to go to that man, mom had told him to ask him to take them home, and he would always do what his mother asked him to. After all, she was all he had - they only had each other, everyone else were liars and losers.

That Ashok for instance, he had overheard him that day when he had been talking to that disgusting brother of his, talking about dumping his mom. But he had tried to ignore it, had tried to ignore his voice, had hoped his mom would finally be that mans wife, so she could stay in the style that she should. Ashok papa he had called him. But he had been such a liar too.

Adi hater the fact that he was still so young, that he couldn't take care of his mom on his own. Once he grew up, then he would take care of his mom by himself, he would make sure she had everything she wanted in the world, then she wouldn't need anyone of these horrible men.

"Adi, beta, tum bhi ja kar change kar lo" (Adi, you go and change too son) that Raman Bhalla was saying.

Adi stood up. Better to go than to sit here with him after all.

"Adi" his father continued, a look of concern on his face. "Beta, don't worry too much. Sab kuch theek ho jayega" (Adi, don't worry too much son. Everything will be allright)

"Papa is right Adi" his moms voice cut in above his fathers's. She had come back into the room unnoticed by him. She had changed and she looked much happier than she had bend in the car. He looked hopefully at her. "Mom..."

"Go and change and go to bed Adi. Tumne dinner kar liya tha na, function mein?  Mein kuch der mei aati hoon tumhare paas." (Go and change and go to bed Adi. You've had dinner at the function, haven't you? I'll come and see you in a while) Shagun said firmly in a voice that brokered no opposition, displayed no emotion.

Adi stared at his mother for a long moment then turned towards his room.

"Say goodnight to papa, Adi" his mother's sharp voice stopped him in his tracks.

Adi turned around and forced his face to smile. "Goodnight papa" he said.

Raman & Shagun
Once Adi had left, Mihika had began to fuss around Shagun, insisting on making coffee for everyone, and Raman had tuned out of their conversation for a moment, losing himself in his own reminiscing. He smiled to himself, even as Mihika hovered solicitously around Shagun, and Shagun lapped up the attention.

The object of his thoughts was the woman who had turned his life upside down. His madrassan. His Jhansi ki Rani.

He still could not believe that he had finally gathered the courage to tell her how he felt, and that she had reciprocated in the way she had done. She had felt so amazingly good in his arms. He could still feel her, still smell her, still taste her. He ached for her, ached to take her into his arms again, to love her and caress her all over. Their encounter had been too brief, too hurried, he needed to continue his exploration of her, needed to assuage the hunger that still flamed inside.

He looked impatiently at Shagun. Now that Adi was settled for the night, Raman wanted to go home, home to his Ishita. Shagun's problems would not be sorted out in one night and he did not feel that he could spend another minute away from his wife.

Shagun had settled herself onto a sofa, with Mihika hovering protectively around her, holding a cup of coffee out to her solicitously.

"Mihika, sit down " Raman snapped, his patience at this Bhabhi Nanad love story at its limits due to his frustration at being away from his love. "Shagun, I don't know what your plans are, but whatever you decide, you know I will support you for Adi's sake. Adi will not want for anything. Aaj tak tum ne mujhe kuch nahi karne diya mere bete ke liye, lekin ab mein kisi kami nahi hone doonga Adi ke life mein" (You haven't let me do anything for my son until now, but now I won't let Adi want or need for anything).

Mihir had been largely silent until now, but he spoke up too. "Shagun" Mihir said quietly " Yeh tumhara ghar hai. Tum yahan jab tak chahti ho, reh sakti ho, Adi ke saath." (Shagun, this is your home. You can stay here for as long as you want with Adi)

Shagun looked at her brother and ex husband with an enigmatic expression on her face.

She wanted to tell them that she had every intention of still marrying Ashok, that she intended to use every trick in the book and every ace up her sleeve to make it happen.

However, the sight of Raman looking undeniably dashing in his tuxedo stopped her.

If only Raman had been this dashing, this attractive, this rich, this influential when she had been married to him. If only she had known six years ago that he would turn out like this, then she would never have had to leave him and go off with Ashok.

Ashok had been her passport to the good life, the glamorous society that she craved, but over the years, she had lost her hold on him. Her attraction had paled for him, he no longer worshipped her beauty as he had used to. As was evident in the callous way that he had dumped her today.

But Raman. Raman had been so grateful to have her in his life that he would have died for her if she had only asked.

And yet.....Raman had adored her once, but she had seen how he had looked at that behenji wife of his today. The intensity between them could not be denied, and she realised with a pang of fury that she may have lost her hold over Raman. But she needed to check that out, needed to confirm whether she had indeed lost her chances with Raman. Because until she was able to get Ashok to sign on the dotted line, until she was Mrs Khanna, she needed to keep her options open. And that meant keeping Raman on a leash.

"Shagun" Mihika was speaking now. "Hum sab aap ke saath hai" (We are all with you)

Shagun gave a brief smile to Mihika, then stretched out a manicured and mehendi covered hand to Raman.

Tears clouded her beautiful eyes as she started to speak.

"Raman, thank you so much aaj tum mere liye, Adi ke liye yahan ho. I know, jo kuch hamare life mein hua, mere wajay se hua, lekin tum ne phir bhi aaj hamara saath diya. Tum ne saabit kar diya ki hum aaj bhi ek family hai, we are still a family. Aur Adi, Adi ko abhi tumhari bahut zaroorat hai, he needs you Raman."
(Raman, thank you so much that you are here today for me, for Adi. I know that whatever happened in our life happened because of me, but you still stood by me today. You proved that we are still a family today. And Adi needs you a lot now, he needs you Raman)

Raman patted Shaguns hand briefly as he withdrew his fingers from her grasp.

"Mein ne kaha hai Shagun, mein Adi ko har tarah se support karoonga. Kisi cheez ki kami nahi hogi." (I have told you Shagun, I will support Adi in every way, he won't want for anything)

Shagun grabbed Raman's hand again and held it between both of hers, firmly this time. He looked at her in surprise as she spoke.

"Adi ko tumhaare paiso ki nahi, tumhari zaroorat hai Raman. Usse ek stable ghar ki zaroorat hai, ek family ki zaroorat hai." (Adi doesn't need your money, he needs you Raman. He needs a stable home, a family)

Raman removed his hand again from Shaguns grasp and folded his arms across his chest.

" Adi jab chahe hamare saath aa kar reh sakta hai Shagun. Woh mera beta hai, usko puri haq hai hamare ghar mein rehne ka. Ishita aur Ruhi bahut khush honge agar Adi ghar aayega. If you think that Adi kuch din hamaare pas rehna chahega, ya phir regular basis par hamare ghar mein rehna chahega, toh Ishita aur mujh se zyaada khush aur koi nahi hoga. Aur Shagun, I know that tumhare liye Adi ke bina rehna mushkil hoga, so thank you."
(Adi can come and stay with us whenever he likes Shagun. He is my son, he has every right to stay in my home. Ishita and Ruhi will be so happy if Adi comes home. If you think that Adi will want to stay with for a while, or on a regular basis, then no one will be happier than Ishita and me. And Shagun, I know it is difficult for you to stay without Adi, so thank you)

Shagun stiffened at Ishita's name and Raman's words and inwardly cursed this change in Raman.

Only a few months ago, when the case over Ishita's mothers accident was going on, she had been able to manipulate Raman to do her bidding by dangling Adi in front of him. Raman had completely folded when it came to Adi, nothing, not his wife, not his family, not his marriage - nothing had mattered as much as protecting Adi. But today, there was no mistaking Raman's priorities. Yes, he sounded concerned about Adi, yes, he would do everything he could for Adi, but that repeated uttering of Ishita's name, that continuous jhaap, only served to emphasise that he would not disregard Ishita in this equation.

She, Shagun, would have to act very carefully.

"I'm sorry" she murmured. "Mein bhul gayi thi. Adi mere bina toh kahin nahi rahega, aur tumhaare ghar mein ab mere liye koi jagah nahi." (I'm sorry, I forgot. Adi won't stay without me and there is no room in your house for me now)

Raman smiled sardonically. "Shagun, mera ghar tum khud chodh kar gayi thi. And life has moved on now, ab Ishita hi meri zindagi ki sachai hai. Toh tumhara hamare ghar mein aana, that's simply out of the question." (Shagun, you left my home yourself. And life has moved on now, Ishita is now my reality. So for you to come into our home, that's simply out of the question)

"Raman, Adi ke liye?" (Raman, for Adi?) she put all the pathos she could in her voice as she looked at him pleadingly.

Raman thought back with regret to all the times in the past when Shagun had manipulated Adi to insult Ishita. And he, Raman, had stood by and had let it happen, had let his wife be insulted by this woman, had let Ishita be embarrassed in front of her. Well, no more. He could not change the past, no matter how much he regretted it, but he would never allow it again.

"Adi ke liye bhi mein apni biwi ki bezaati nahi hone doonga Shagun. Aur meri ghar mein tum aao, woh meri biwi ki bezaati hogi." (Even for Adi, I won't let my wife be insulted Shagun. And for you to come into my home would be an insult to my wife)

Shagun could see the determination in his eyes, and she decided it was time to backtrack a little.

"But Raman... Theek hai, tum abhi koi decision mat lo, Adi se baat karo... Mere sang jo hua so hua, lekin is se Adi bahut pareshan hai, aur mein nahi chahti ki mere bete ki zindagi barbaad ho jaaye Raman" (But Raman...okay, don't take any decisions now, talk to Adi first. What happened with me has happened , but Adi is very upset about it, and I don't want his life to be ruined Raman)

Raman stared at Shagun in exasperation.

"Shagun, mein Adi ki zindagi barbaad nahi hone doonga. Mein ne kaha na, koi solution dhoond lenge. Now, is there anything else I can do today? It's been a long day, Ishita meri intezaar kar rahi hogi, and you should get some rest too."
(Shagun, I won't let anything happen to Adi. I told you, we will find some solution. Now, is there anything else I can do today? It's been a long day, Ishita will be waiting for me, and you should get some rest too)

His voice changed, softened, as he took his wife's name, his tongue lingering on the syllables. For a brief moment, his feelings were plain on his face, and Shagun knew that this ship had sailed. She knew that it was time to retreat. It was important for her plan for Ashok to think that she was returning to the Bhalla house to live, but she could manage that somehow.

"Haan, Raman" she said in response to him. "Ek kaam hai, mujhe ek lawyer ki zaroorat hai" (Yes Raman, there is something. I need a lawyer)

"Theek hai, Neel ko bhej doonga kal tumhare paas, lekin lawyer kyun?" (Fine, I'll send Neel to you tomorrow, but why a lawyer?)

Shagun gave him a calculated look. It was time to lay her cards on the table. She knew that no matter how much she may have wanted to keep Raman as an option to finance her lifestyle, he had irrevocably changed. Gone was the Raman Bhalla who worshipped at her feet, this new Raman, this Ishita's Raman, well he would not put up with her demands and her foibles- Ashok was her only option now, and she needed to get Mihir and Raman on her side to fight this battle.

"I have some information" she said, looking from Raman to Mihir. "Some information which can destroy his business. And if he wants to save his money, save his lifestyle, then he needs to marry me. Aur yeh baat usko samjhane ke liye mujhe uski language mein baat karna padega, is liye mujhe ek lawyer chahiye" (And I need to speak his language to make him understand. That's why I need a lawyer)

Her words were interrupted by a horrified gasp from Mihika. "Aap abhi bhi Ashok se shaadi karna chahti ho Shagun? After tonight? But why? If he loved you, then woh aisa nahi karta, toh aap kyun...?" (You still want to marry Ashok Shagun? After tonight? But why? If he loved you, then he would never have done this, so why...)

"Oh don't be so naive Mihika" Shagun snapped. "Pyaar ka Shaadi se kya matlab? Mujhe sirf Mrs Ashok Khanna banna hai, society mein apni jagah maintain karni  hai. Nothing else matters" (Oh don't be so naive Mihika. What does love have to do with marriage? I just want to be Mrs Ashok Khanna, to maintain my place in society. Nothing else matters)

Raman burst out into laughter.

"Wah Shagun, toh tum Ashok ko blackmail karna chahti ho? Sach mein, tum dono ki jodi bahut achi hai, bilkul ek doosre ki tarah sochte ho. Lekin tumhe agar us kameene se shaadi karni hai, toh mujhe apne bete ki fikr hai. I don't want that Ashok around my son."
(Well well Shagun, so you want to blackmail Ashok? You two are truly made for each other, you think alike. But if you want to marry that bastard, then I'm worried for my son. I don't want that Ashok around my son.)

"Raman, mein ne kaha na, I don't want Adi's life to be ruined either." Shagun stared back defiantly at Ranan. "Mein chahti hoon ki woh tumhaare sang bhi rahe, tumhaare ghar mein, lekin mere bina mushkil hoga. Adi se baat karenge, dheere se kuch plan karenge. Lekin Ashok se mujh ko shaadi karna hoga, I have no other option Raman."
(Raman I told you I don't want Adi's life to be ruined either. I want him to stay with you as well, in your home, but it will be difficult without me. We can talk to Adi, plan something slowly. But I have to marry Ashok. I have no other option Raman)

Raman looked at his ex wife in disgust. Well, what could he have expected? Shaguns first priority was always Shagun, no matter how much she may profess to love Adi.

"I'll help you Shagun" the contempt and disgust he felt dripped off his voice. "I'll help and I'll get Neel to help you, lekin badle mein mujhe ek new custody arrangement chahiye. Adi ki shared custody mujhe chahiye. Woh hafte mein 3 ya 4 din mere paas rahega, mere ghar par. Aur uski schooling ki, uski zindagi ki saare decisions mein karoonga, woh 6 feet 2 inch ka kamina nahi. Aur agar mujhe kisi bhi waqt ye lagta hai ki tumhaare aur us kaminey ke saath rehne se mera beta ko takleef ho raha hai, toh tum mujhe usi waqt full custody de dogi. Mein nahi rokunga tumhe Adi se milne se."

(I'll help you Shagun. I'll help and I'll get Neel to help you, but in return I want a new custody arrangement. I want shared custody of Adi, for him to stay with me for three or four days each week. And I will make all the decisions about his schooling and his life, not that 6 feet 2 inch bastard. And if I ever feel that my son isn't happy with you and that bastard, then you will give me full custody. I won't ever stop Adi from seeing you)

'Raman tum is waqt yeh sab kar ke meri majboori ka fayda utha rahe ho ..." Shagun snapped back. "Mein khud bhi lawyer kar sakte hoon" (Raman, you're taking advantage of me. I can get a lawyer myself too)

"That's right, kar sakti ho. Lekin agar tum Ashok ke saamne akeli gayi, agar usko yeh maloom hua ki hum tere saath nahi hai, toh woh tumhaari baat nahi manega. He will just buy your lawyer and leave you high and dry again. Tumhe hamari zaroorat hai Shagun. Aur mein tumhara saath doonga, lekin mujhe Adi chahiye" Raman knew Ashok well, and he knew that Shagun also recognized the benefit that having Raman's support brought to her scheme.
(Yes you can, but if you go before Ashok alone, if he knows we aren't supporting you, then he won't accept your proposition. He will just buy your lawyer and leave you high and dry again. You need us Shagun. And I will help you, but I want my son)

"This isn't fair Raman" she said, but wavering now.

"It's up to you Shagun" Raman was completely unrepentant. "You decide what your priorities are. Agar Ashok se Shaadi karna tumhari priority hai, toh mera beta meri priority hai." (If marriage to Ashok is your priority, then my son is mine)

"Ab jab tum mujhe Adi ke saath apne ghar nahi aane doge, toh meri aur kya option hai" Shagun pouted. ( If you won't let me move into your house with Adi, then what other options do I have?)

"Bahut saare options hai" Raman sneered as he got to his feet. "Tum yahan reh sakti ho, Mihir ke saath. Tum apni flat mein move ho sakti ho, naukri kar sakti ho" ( You have many options. You can stay here with Mihir. You can move into your own place, get a job)

"Me and work?" Shagun was horrified.

Raman chuckled as he picked up his jacket and car keys. "I suppose jo kabhi kiya nahi, uski naam se dar lagta hai. Anyway, Neel ke sang kal ayoonga, Adi ki custody papers le kar, aur tumhari blackmailing ki plan sunne ke liye. Chalo Mihika, let's go home. Meri biwi mera intezaar kar rahi hai"
( I guess if you've never worked in your life, it must be a scary proposition. Anyways, I will come over with Neel tomorrow, with Adi's custody papers and to listen to your blackmailing plans. Come Mihika, let's go home. My wife will be waiting for me)

And he stalked out without a backward glance.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

199K 9.5K 56
It's a story of Ragini..... How she overcome her fears....her pain...her loneliness....and the betryals....she got from her loved ones.... I'm contin...
12.5K 911 10
The game continues as Swara Bose now pretending to be Swara Sanskar Maheshwari enters the arena. It had never been black against white, per say, thei...
11.1K 1K 13
Highest rank #3 on whodidit on 11/05/18 "Life is a flight of Icarus, if you fly high; you burn, if you fly low you sink. Staying away from both ice a...
3.2K 267 21
The mystery which revolved around her death is close to conclusion but will this lead to answers or more mystery she doubt anyone would know. In sear...