From the Ashes

WolfishTendencies tarafından

It's been three years since the Battle of Hogwarts. Hermione returned for her final year and graduated. Now... Daha Fazla

01 - A Spark in the Night
02 - In The Cellar
03 - At the Ministry
04 - One Step Too Far
05 - Friend or Foe
06 - The New Regime
07 -Number 12 Grimmauld Place
08 - A Cryptic Warning
09 - The Meaning Of It All
10 - Dark Discussion
11 - Ron's Grave Mistake
13 - Locked Away
14 - Through the Forest
15 - The Raven
16 - Following Breadcrumbs
17 - Quick Thinking
18- A Moment For Tea
19 - Another Time

12 - Dearly Departing

441 8 4
WolfishTendencies tarafından

Sorry for the wait on this one. Works been crazy busy! Promise things are going to pick up from here on out! There will be a pause on chapters during November though due to NaNoWriMo. I have another project on the go for that. Hope you enjoy! As always please vote, comment, and share if you do! <3

Mira~

Harry was surprised when day broke and Ron had yet to appear outside Grimmauld Place. He glanced down at his wristwatch, he had bewitched it not long after the war to show where Ron, Hermione, and Ginny were, an idea he had retrieved from Mrs. Weasley.

Ron's wand was pointed to danger.

Harry groaned, quickly registering that both Ginny and Hermione were still safe. He glanced around the square. The sun was coming up in hues of orange and pink over the London skyline. He then crossed to the front door of Grimmauld Place and knocked twice.

"Expecto Patronum," Harry muttered, sending word to Luna that she needed her. It took Hermione only a few minutes to get to the door. She answered it in pajama shorts and the same spaghetti strap striped top she had worn the night before. Her curly hair was a ball of frizz that stood up in all directions.

"Harry? What's happening?" Hermione asked stifling a yawn. There was the sound of someone coming down the staircase then Draco came around the corner. He looked like he hadn't slept. His eyes held deep bags and his hair was slightly ruffled. He came up behind Hermione. She glanced at him. Harry noticed that her eyes lingered for a moment on his bare chest... He felt a flicker of annoyance, then he remembered why he was there.

"It's Ron. I think he's gone and done something stupid."

Hermione sighed, "What else is new."

"He hasn't come to relieve me. Look." Harry gestured at the watch. Hermione bravado dropped as she saw where Ron's hand pointed. "That idiot. Where did he go?"

"That's the question. He said he was heading to the Burrow, and to see Ginny."

There was a pop and Luna appeared beside Harry, dressed in a long lilac robe, her hair was braided and her face was flushed.

"What's wrong?"

"Ron's not back," Harry said. Luna paled even further if that was possible.

"Wasn't he supposed to be headed home?"

"He was. But clearly, he didn't."

"Hang on Harry," Hermione said, arms crossing over her chest, "You don't have any proof of him not going home. Have you spoken to Molly or Ginny?"

"No. Not yet. But I know he didn't. Trust me. I know Ron." Harry scowled and glanced at his watch again.

"Then where did he go?" Hermione asked.

It was Draco who answered.

"He wouldn't go back to the Manor would he..."

"My thoughts exactly," Harry said, he and Draco exchanged a look that could only be described as unimpressed acceptance. Hermione groaned.

"That fool."

"I'll check in with Ginny and Molly. In the meantime, you stay put." Harry said, "Luna you keep an eye out here. I'll send word as soon as I know what has happened."

"We know where he's gone." Hermione said crossly, "why bother with the Burrow."

"As you said. I can't be sure." Harry said, looking grim, "For now I need you to stay out of harm's way."

Hermione looked like she was going to protest but before she could speak Harry had disapparated. Luna and Hermione shared a look and then Hermione shut the door. She turned on her heel, walking straight into Draco. He caught her and steadied her.

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah." Hermione tried not to look at his bare chest, which was difficult due to his height. "Are you sure you look pale." Draco's hand was cold against her bare shoulder, her pulse was beginning to race.

"Just worried about Ron. Why does he have to be so stupid." Hermione side stepped Draco, trying to remove the tangles from her hair as she did so.

"I don't think he's ever been all that bright..." Draco said sarcastically. Hermione shot him a withering look. He raised his hands defensively. "Well, it's true. He's not."

"That's not true," Hermione said, she continued down to the kitchen. She was beginning to highly dislike the room now, having spent most of the week cooped up there. "He was the one who solved the chest puzzle in our first year."

Draco arched an eyebrow.

"That was a long time ago."

"Okay... well, he solved that troll conundrum last year."

"What?"

"There was a troll problem in the underground. Ron solved it."

"Did it involve fighting them."

Hermione glared at Draco.

"Ron is smart."

"You just spent the last ten minutes calling him stupid." Draco was enjoying ruffling Hermione's feathers, it almost made him forget that he was in hiding. She made an exasperated noise somewhere between a grunt and a gasp and went to put the kettle on.

"What happened between the two of you anyway?" Draco asked he followed her into the kitchen, reaching over her to grab mugs from the cupboard above the sink. Hermione filled the kettle trying to focus on her task rather than the sweet smell of peppermint coming from Draco.

"I...We...It's really none of your business." She turned, ducking under his arm, spraying water from the kettle's spout as she did so. She manually began trying to ignite the stove but after a few minutes resorted to using her wand. "Incendio." The stove lit and Draco watched, bemused, as she placed the tea kettle down and went to the table.

"If you must know we dated for a few years and it didn't work out," Hermione said, her tone making it clear that she didn't want to discuss it.

"Cause he was into someone else?"

"No," Hermione said this without conviction. Draco shrugged and placed the mugs down on the table.

"I don't mean to pry, but are you sure about that?" Draco asked, arching an eyebrow. Hermione glared over at him, "If he does like someone it's none of my business. We broke up six months ago."

Draco continued to stare at her with his slate grey eyes. Something about his look made her turn away, she could tell that he saw the truth. She wasn't over it.

"Draco?" Astoria entered the kitchen, "there you are dear." She went to stand beside him, "I woke and wasn't sure where you had gone." She smiled with pursed lips, she didn't acknowledge Hermione.

"I couldn't sleep." Draco said, then he gestured to Hermione, "and Potter turned up at the door. Weasley never showed."

Astoria frowned, "Well that can't be anything good. Do they have Aurors on it?"

"Harry's looking into it. In the meantime, Luna's out front."

"Ah. Well...I guess she will do." Astoria said crossing her arms across her chest. Her hands were sure bony, Hermione thought, a slight satisfaction counteracting her annoyance at Astoria's words. Hermione strode back around the counter to the stove to get the kettle. She poured tea with shaking hands, momentarily blocking out the Malfoy's. Ron was no fighter. Sure he had gotten himself out of trouble before but he was no match for Death Eaters.

"Astoria, why don't you sit." Hermione heard Draco say.

No. She wasn't giving Ron enough credit. He'd learned loads in the past three years, he had new skills. She'd said it herself, he was logical and quick on his feet. He'd be fine. Plus Harry would look out for him. She had no questions regarding Harry's skill. Harry would fine Ron and get him back. But she had always been the one to find the answers. Both Harry and Ron could be a bit...oblivious... There was no helping it. She needed to help. Harry might not get there in time.

Hermione stopped pouring her tea and wordlessly left the kitchen, letting the door slam behind her.

"Granger?" Draco's voice was muffled from behind the door, so was the scraping off his chair.

"Dear, let her go," Astoria said, just loud enough for it to carry as Draco exited the kitchen.

Hermione was halfway up the stairs when Draco caught up with her.

"Granger? Where are you going?"

"My room," Hermione said, continuing purposefully up the stairs.

"I meant after that. Believe it or not, you are extremely easy to read." Draco said, falling into step behind her. Hermione didn't answer his question.

"If you need anything Luna's out front," Hermione said instead. She went to grab her door handle but Draco got there first. He slid in front of her, blocking her path.

"You're not seriously going after them?" He said.

"I am. They need me."

"Granger. Potter specifically told you not to."

"He's been wrong in the past. He needs my help."

"You're not in school anymore. They're Aurors now. They're trained for exactly this. You're what? A ministry worker? You're not qualified and you're already in danger. It's incredibly foolish to put yourself in more danger."

Hermione bristled.

"I am capable of defending myself thank you very much. I've seen as much combat as them, and I've already been tortured if you recall." She let this hang for a moment. 

Draco's features contorted for a moment, guilt passing quickly, it was replaced his mask as quickly as it came. "And I don't see what you can do to stop me." Hermione drew her wand, "Let me passed."

It was a power move to be certain. Draco paused before reluctantly stepping out of her way. She was right. She had a wand, he did not. She stepped past him and entered her room, shutting the door behind her. 

Draco waited a moment before wandering down to his own room. Astoria was sitting on the bed, sulking again no doubt. She had her back to him, her fingers curled around the handle of a small hand mirror.

"Granger's going after them."

Astoria jumped.

"Darling. You startled me."

"I wasn't exactly quiet coming in."

"I was with my thoughts I suppose," Astoria said, smiling brightly.

Draco appraised her, a moment earlier she had seemed far less...he didn't know what to call it. Mind you most of the time he couldn't figure her out. She had a tendency to be quite hot and cold.

There was a pounding from upstairs, Hermione was on her way back down. Draco made up his mind, hastily throwing on a set of robes and his cloak from the door.

"I'm going with her," Draco said.

"Draco, is that necessary? We should stay put like the ministry said, it could be seen as a breach in conduct." Astoria said.

"I need to do this. It's my fault they're in this situation."

"It's not your fault Draco," Astoria said, standing up and reaching for his hand. Draco looked unconvinced.

"I'm going," Draco said, he removed her hand from his and exited the room. Astoria sighed and followed him out. "I'm coming as well then."

"No, you're not. Someone needs to stay behind and make sure my parents stay put."

Astoria looked like she was going to argue but thought better of it.

"Alright then." It didn't look like it was alright, her lips were pursed and her arms crossed. Hermione was on her way down the last few steps though and Draco didn't have time to console his wife. He reached the bottom as Hermione reached the door.

"Granger wait!"

"You can't talk me out of this Malfoy," Hermione growled.

"I won't but I'm coming with you." He said, pulling on his boots.

Hermione stopped pulling on her own shoes to glance up at him in surprise.

"What?"

"I'm coming with you. It's my fault that this is happening. Least I can do is watch your back."

"With what? You don't have a wand."

"Yeah but I know where I can get one."

Hermione frowned.

"Now you're acting foolish. You want to follow me into a very likely dangerous situation with no wand and if I'm right you want to go to your old manor to retrieve a wand first. Let me remind you that that is exactly where we found you imprisoned last time."

"Yes but that is where you're going is it not?" Draco asked, crossing his arms.

Hermione didn't respond, just stared at him for a moment before sighing.

"Fine." She finished pulling on her shoe and stepped outside with Draco following close behind her. She offered him her hand reluctantly and he grasped it, Astoria watched from the doorway, her expression guarded.

Luna appeared at the foot of the steps, "Where are you—"

There was a crack.

"—going?" Luna's words were met with silence.

Astoria glowered at her and turn to shut the door.

"Hey! Greengrass! Where did they go?"

Astoria paused closing the door and without turning she said, "Malfoy to you. They've gone to find the Aurors." Then the door slammed leaving Luna standing on the stoop looking perplexed.

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

44.2K 780 36
Eleanor Granger, Hermione's half sister, is placed into the wrong house at Hogwarts. But is it really the wrong house for her? Or is she destined for...
158K 4.9K 24
The wizards and witches we all know and love are back for their last year in Hogwarts! Hermione starts to receive unexpected love letters from a secr...
101K 3.3K 44
Three years after the Battle of Hogwarts, Hermione is working in the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures. She's making sig...
1M 20.8K 57
Hogwarts and the Ministry of Magic fall to the power of the Dark Lord. Harry and the Weasleys manage to escape, but Hermione finds herself stuck in t...