Bruised Affections

By CriticallyIntense

Mysterious, tall, dark, and drop dead gorgeous. These are the words used to describe Ian Maurice, the new guy... More

Disclaimer | Cast | Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24 | 23 pt 2 |
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36

Chapter 27

640 46 5
By CriticallyIntense

"MORNING NELL." I greeted closing my car door shut. She stop watering her flowers and turned to me, a grin stretching on her face.

"Anna. Oh my gosh, is this really you?" She drops the watering kettle down and hugs me. I giggle, hugging her back. "Is there some kind of comet heading our way, to what do we owe this once in a life time visit?"

"Oh come on, it hasn't been that long since I came around." I say. Nelly Hoff has the widest smile and highest cheekbones I've ever seen. I'm pretty sure if she really tried, she could literally showcase all thirty two teeth in a smile.

"It has been, too long even." She says picking the kettle up again. "You weren't this tall, the last time I saw you."

"Maybe but you haven't changed to me."

"I take that as compliment. I don't think you'll see me changing anytime soon."

I laugh, "Christine said to give her a ride, her scooter stop working again."

A displeased frown masks her face. "That's because she's careless and doesn't take good care of that bike. Tell me, isn't that bike beautiful and great?"

I gulp, "y-yea, it is."

"Right? I bet lots of students envy her and she herself has no interest in it. That bike is a treasure, she's just too dumb to see it." Nell says shaking her head as she continues watering her flowers.

"I am dumb?" Christy asks appearing in the doorway, fully dressed and clad in her school uniform.

I almost laugh at the irony. If anyone is dumb, its definitely not Christine Hoff. A parallel A star student.

"Yes, you dumb, careless child." Nell says pointing at her. "You should walk to school, I don't know why Anna's here to help. You don't deserve it."

Christy rolls her eyes. "Stop being so annoyed. That bike was doomed to fail sooner or later and you know it."

"Say what now?" Nell asks using her watering kettle to pour water all over her niece. Christine shrieks running off.

"Aunt!"

"I better not see your face around here without giving the scooter over to Jim. And I'll use your allowance to pay for repairs!" Nell yells and we get into my car.

"I can't believe this. I'm wet!" Christy says her eyes inspecting her body. I burst out laughing and she glares. "Just drive. Please."

"Your aunt is wonderful." I tell her, driving out of the street.

"You say that because you're not the one doused with water and is forced to ride an ugly, noisy, old beat down scooter to school every morning." Christine deadpans.

I gasp, switching lanes. "Don't tell me, you ruined it yourself."

"Unfortunately, no. The old thing just knocked in and stopped working. I had nothing to do with it. I see it as a sign and blessing. Too bad Nell doesn't."

I lean toward her, "you scent of fresh daisy."

Christine smiles, then groans. "That reminds me, the Munroe's came over for 'inspection' of the building last night."

"What kind of inspection?"

"I don't know, this is the first of its kind, headed by no other than Evelyn herself. She looked enraged and decided to take it out on me. Gosh, I can't wait to finish up, leave this town. So Nell can let go that building and rent a small place for herself."

I give her a small sympathetic smile. Then squeeze my face in confusion. "Do you have any idea why she was enraged?"

"Yup." She smiles. "Aiden called it off."

"Called what off?"

"Their relationship of course. He broke up with her," Christine burst out laughing. "Through a text."

I roll my eyes, "I think Jamie has infected you with her juice."

"Come on, don't tell me you aren't the least bit happy? Karma is finally catching up to bitches and I'm lucky enough to witness it." She points at her chest.

"And be on the receiving end." I add, glancing at her and searching for a parking space.

"Unfortunately but that won't be for long and this good news helps with the bad night I had."

"I wonder why Aiden broke up Evelyn." I muse swifty driving into an empty space.

"Because he has had enough of her bullshit." Christine supplies getting out of the car with me. "And I honestly feel bad for him, with the whole beating up a gay junior thing, I'm sure Evelyn has a handful. He's only human."

I frown, honestly feeling bad. I haven't seen Aiden since the night of the party and as a former friend, I'm worried and curious. I wonder what's going on with him.

"What's that face for? Don't tell me you're feeling for Aiden? I thought we were past this." Christine asks looping hands as we walk towards the entrance.

"Not that kind of feels, I'm worried about him."

"About who?" Jamie asks butting in from nowhere.

"Aiden."

"What? You guys are back together so soon?"

I turn to glare at her, "What do you mean so soon?"

Jamie shrugs, bursting through the school's double doors. "He just broke up with Evelyn Munroe, I figured it'll take at least a week or two before you guys pick up again."

I rolls my eyes and Christine does so too. "I'm never getting back together with Aiden Macer again."

"Why not? You guys were epic."

I open my mouth to reply but then I see Ian and the words gets stuck as he literally takes my breath away. He's talking to a teacher in front of a class, about twenty feet away but I could feel his presence already. He has the school's black - with the yellow mascot and name - on, the hood down revealing his groomed hair. As always, radiating perfection.

"Because," Christine breaks me out of my trance like state and I see her smirking. "She's in love with Ian Maurice."

As if hearing his name, Ian looks up and our eyes meet. He winks at me before turning back to the teacher and giving his attention back.

"Aiden's better." I hear Jamie mutter and I snap my head to her.

"Now why would you say that?"

"I don't know." She shrugs, "I just think Aiden is perfect for you."

Something in me snaps.

"And what gave you the super power to know what's perfect and not perfect for me?"

I can tell my tone surprise Jamie, because she looks up confused and shocked. I glare.

"Chill Anna." Christine says as her hand rubs on my back, then as if running away from the awkward situation, she darts to my locker, crouching down and turning the lock.

Jamie raises both her hands up. "Sorry, I didn't mean to upset you."

I blink, then sigh. "Sorry for snapping. Its just... well just say my night wasn't all that great."

"Join the club." Christine mutters from below, swapping my books for me. I smile and put my fist out for Jamie, she smiles bumping it with hers and just like that we're good again.

**

"After much postponing, it's finally here." Coach starts, walking around and addressing us like we're in the military. "Our first away game for this season."

Cheers and groans escaped from us, some really enthusiastic about the whole thing, especially because we were leaving town. Others not so much, they either hated road trips or felt lazy about the whole thing. I was amongst the people cheering. I love travelling and a road trip was kinda like that. Plus I could use a weekend getaway from home, play out all the pent up energy and frustration.

"Shut up, miscreants!" Coach snap, shutting us all at once. He wasn't angry, that was just his usual way of speaking and even as he did so, he had a smile on his face and so did we. "We've trained enough for this moment and I'll like to believe, we're ready. Richmond High is one of our best competitors and we've managed to remain in a tie all these years. Let beat them now, shall we?"

"Yes!" We chorused then laughed.

"Whatever, we'll see on the field. Now go, if you haven't returned your permission slips, you better do so, else, you're done for. Save energy and on Friday I want to see all your asses on the bus. We're spending a night there and would be back to our lovely hometown on Saturday. Dismiss!"

We spread out and I start searching for Aiden but before I can even say 'yanny' he's walking out the field and the only thing I see is his back.

"Now, this is where dating a cheer comes in handy." Finn says bumping into me as we fall into steps.

I roll my eyes, "is sex the only thing running through that small head of yours?"

"No, I'm a teenage boy, what do you think?" He asks and I raise an eyebrow. "There's video games and booze."

"And that's about it?"

He nods, agreeing. "And that's about it."

I laugh but we both know he's kidding, if there's any teenage boy that's actually sensible, it's Finn Sullivan. He actually dates girls, takes them on dates and treat them right. He even goes as far as falling in love. Aiden's like that too. It must be some code of conduct for them, which makes them more respectable and sort after. Yes, they might date, sleep with you and dump you but then there would be a reason and it wouldn't be something regretful.

"I take it you're still with Jade?" I ask and the smile on his face says it all.

"Ah, Jade." He wiggles his brow at me. "And she's a cheer."

"Oh my gosh, how did that happen?"

"Its called luck, in case you haven't heard of it. I could sprinkle some on you, I'm loaded with it."

"Fuck off."

"I will, tomorrow night." I shake my head at him. And he nudges me, smiling. "How are you holding up?"

"I'm great."

"Great enough to play goalie and stop all my goals?" He challenges.

"Its on, loser get to buy Shakes?" I put my hand out for him to shake on.

"Its on. If I get five out of ten in, you lose." I nod in agreement and we run off, Finn grabbing a ball while I grab gloves.

**

"I can't believe I won't see till Saturday." I lament hanging my head low as we sat on the pavement, idling by the bus and waiting for other players and cheers to arrive.

"Till Monday, I'll be gone for the weekend." Ian says looking ahead and slowly chewing on gum.

"Great. Fan- fucking -tastic."

He turns to me with a smirk. "Is this your way of saying you'll miss me?"

I blush, biting on my lip. "Will you miss me?" I ask instead of answering.

"Yes." He states simply and bluntly, I can't help but laugh.

"How do you do that?"

"Do what?"

"Be so simple, blunt and outright, yet complicated, withdrawn and mysterious." I ask looking at him like I look at a Mcflurry after tasting something different and wonderful in it.

He shrugs, "I don't know. Does it make you like me any less?" I don't respond, I just shake my head. He smiles. "You didn't answer the 'miss me' question."

"You know I will." I confess, my voice small. "I wish you can come along, maybe you can just sneak in through the back, I don't think coach with notice."

Ian chuckles, "you know I can't."

I hold his hand, "really?"

"Really."

"Okay," Coach calls standing by the entrance of the bus. "Line up!"

Its time to answer the roll call and enter the bus. In other words, time to leave. Now, with Ian in the picture, I wanna stay. But then there's soccer - gee, talk about conflict.

"And that's my cue." Ian says as we both stand up, dusting our pants. "Have fun, Roxanna. I'm sorry, I can't come to watch your game."

"Its fine, I'll be recorded so you can see that."

He nods and moves closer, kissing me on my forehead. I close my eyes in content. "Play safe."

"Will do." I say smiling as I watch him walk backwards again, still looking at me.

He smiles. "Bye bye."

I chuckle, remembering a kid in elementary saying goodbye to a parent. How is he so cute?

"Bye."

I join the line of student, ticking my name and entering into the bus. The first face I search for is Aiden but when I find him, he's relaxing in his seat looking asleep, with headphones in. And that's not the main obstacle, beside him is a desperate looking Evelyn Munroe. She sneers at me as I walk pass, putting her foot out but I jump over. Finn's sitting with a fellow player, already engaged in a heated conversation. I roll my eyes and almost give up but then I see Jessica sitting alone and I almost shout hallelujah before plucking myself beside her.

She's not so bad and we're both players so... Wonderful.

The two hours ride is bearable, Jessica and I stay in comfortable silence most of the time but halfway through, we engage in soccer topics, then argue about who's hotter in Garrett Bale and Lionel Messi.

We arrive this hotel and Jessica and I still stick together, collecting a key for out temporary shared room. Coach gives a speech on keeping our 'perverted hands' to ourselves and meeting up later to drive over to our competition.

I'm already bored, I can't wait to kick a ball. But in the mean time, I wonder if Ian is up for texting in tech class.

-------------------

Please vote and comment. I want to know what y'all are thinking and feeling about this story!

Thanks for reading and what do you think would happen now that Anna's away?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

55.1K 1.6K 34
Even if this ends badly, I wont regret it. Maybe all of this will be gone for me one day, but I'll still have the memories. And that might just be en...
141 8 19
Everyone loves a bad boy, you know leather jacket rides a motorcycle doesn't really follow the rules, yet truth be told those guys aren't all that ba...
23 0 15
Ian was a nice kid. He liked dinosaurs. He had friends. He could play sports. Then puberty hit and everyone cared about posting up pictures of their...
517K 11.6K 19
Katherine Jones is your typical bad girl. Late nights, party crashing, nights in a jail cell but now... She's ready to break. She has nothing left to...