Of All The People, It Had To...

By z-a-i-o-n

Author Warning ||Warning I am going on a tangent with this. I've seen the movie but not read the books (I hea... More

Prologue
Chapter One: The B.U.C.K.E.T
Chapter Two: Year 11
Chapter Four: "Oh Dear God" Pt. One
Chapter Five: "Oh Dear God" Pt. Two
Chapter Six: Homework and Gossip

Chapter Three: The Letters

870 30 1
By z-a-i-o-n

It was  a normal day, I got up, got dressed and went down stairs to have breakfast. I was sitting on the couch eating breakfast still trying to get over the last two days of my cold. I had gotten the flu after the first day of the new school year, which really sucked. But I got to stay home and eat noodles, so I was extremely happy.
I got a call from Lara-Jean around five in the afternoon, she sounded frantic, like something had happened. It was a voice mail, I hadn't answered the phone because I was asleep. Once I had listened through fully, I got up off the couch and headed to her house in search of her.

I came to the from door, about to knock when the door opened reveling Lara's little sister, Kitty.
"Oh, Riley, hey" she gave me a big smile. I laughed a little before coughing a little.
"Hey Kit" I said sounding a little nasally, Kitty frowned her brows looking slightly worried, "I was sick for a bit. Better now though" I added. Kitty held her sleeve up to her face.
"Ahhh okay, I don't wanna get sick. Lara's in her room" Kitty took a few steps back as she let me in and then disappeared outside. I made my way into the large house, seeing Mr Covey sitting in the kitchen eating ice cream and what smelled like hot chocolate.
"Hey Mr Covey" I said making him look over, he smiled and stood up, then made his way over.
"Hey Riley, hows your mother?" He asked as he gave me a hug. You see, Lara and I weren't just best friends, we were second generation best friends. Our parents were best friends and we basically were brought up from birth, that's why we moved back. Because we knew that we would have friends here, a family if you will.

"She's good, working a lot and stuff" I said once  we broke away from each other, "I'm just here to see Lara" I added, and he nodded.
"Well she's upstairs, just beware" he cautioned and I let out a small laugh.
"I'll  do that" I said as I walked up the stairs. I made my way up and walked to her bedroom door, knocking twice.
"What?" Lara opened the door with a slight frustrated expression, before letting out a sigh and hugging me, "thank god your here" I nibbles and pulled away, then dragged me into her room.

"What was the panicked phone call about? I thought you were dying" I said as I sat down on the bed.
"I wish I was" I half mumbled as she paced. I watched as she seemed a little on edge, maybe a lot.
"What's wrong?" I question and Lara looks over at me with anxiety across her face.
"Look" I said as she walked over to her closet. I got up and made my way over, stepping over piles of clothes and other things, before coming to a stop next to Lara. All I saw was a dark walk-in closet, then Lara switched the light on.
"And?" I said, then she pointed to the top shelf, where she put her box of secret love letter. Than I noticed it wasn't there, my eyes widened.
"Oh god" I gazed over at Lara and then walked back as I held my hands up to my head, "oh god" I said half panicking myself. Lara gave me a small smile.
"Where are they?" I questioned.
"To the people they were addressed to" she sat down on her desk chair.
"Why'd you mail them? Mine was in there as well" I stated. Lara made up her love letters, and once, just once, I dared to do the same since she pestered me about it, and I did. One letter, with all hers. Now you think it's not that big of a deal, well it is. A monumental one.
"They disappeared and then yesterday some people came my way with their letters....their out" she stated, Riley was so confused.
"Oh my god, I'm gonna have to move schools, change my name. This is not okay" I stood at those last words.
"It's not that big of a deal, I mean I'm sure Eddie can't read anyway" yes, you heard correctly, Eddie Jacobs. Resident dickhead of my life, and as it seems now will be an even bigger dickhead now that he has that letter.
"No, no, no, no, no. This can't be happening. I was just getting him to stop annoying me, now he's gonna think I'm in love with him" I held my hand to my forehead and sighed before falling back onto Lara's bed and clasped my face with my hands.
"This is the worst thing ever" I then realised that Lara had plenty more than I did and sat up.
"Oh my god, Lara, your letters." Was all I said, and she nodded. Before walking over and lying down next to me.
"Yep, we're both very screwed..." she went silent for a moment, "I kissed Peter Kavinsky to avoid talking to Josh about his letter" I let out an 'ooo' in response to this.
"That's like next level avoidance right there" I sort of laughed, "I'm sorry I shouldn't be laughing" I let out another laugh and then Lara started as well.

***

I decided to go to school the next day with Lara, as a safety net for her, and especially cause I felt a lot better than I had previously did two days ago. I decided on just a simple outfit, nothing too much trouble.

A simple jumper over a white shirt, black jeans ripped at the knees, a pair of sneakers, a denim jacket and my back pack.

While I was getting my stuff for school, I couldn't help think I should stay home. My internal fear of seeing Eddie and his stupid proud smug face would surely make me hurl this mornings breakfast all over him. But then again if the chances of that happening are fifty-fifty, than I wanna take those odds.

I finished breakfast and kissed my mom goodbye, and made my way out the door. Walking past Josh's house and then onto the Coveys lawn, before making my way to the front door. I knocked twice, and waited. I always loved going to school with Lara and Kitty, we used to do it all the time, then kind of stopped. But whatever it was that happened, we were back in motion, so to speak.

The front door opened and I spun around seeing Kitty.
"Hey, come on in" she said with a cheerful smile, then I made my way in. I saw Lara in the kitchen eating breakfast, she waved me over to her.
"Hey, we're driving. You good with that?" She questioned before taking another spoon of cereal in her mouth. I gave her an agreed nod before sitting down.
I was hoping today would be good, I really needed a good day.

***

We arrived at school half an hour after I showed up at Lara's, and I was already feeling uneasy. Lara-Jean could tell, this was obvious as she kept looking over every once in a while.
We made our way from Lara-Jeans locker to mine, I began putting in my combination and pulled at the door forcing it to open. I looked over at Lara catching her staring again, letting out a sigh in response.
"Okay, what's wrong?" I asked turning to face her, she frowned her brows and shook her head lightly, "you've been giving me looks for thirty minutes" I added as I pulled my art book and English book out. Lara let out a defeated sigh and she slightly crumpled before adjusting her posture.
"Fine. I'm worried about your letter a bit. I mean, I thought about it and it's Eddie. He'll believe anything if it means hope of getting with you." Lara states as I stare at my locker and let out a sigh, I turned to look at Lara.
"Guess it was a good thing I took boxing last summer" I half smirked to myself, then looked down the hall seeing Josh. He smiled and waved. I returned the gesture, then Lara turned around and panicked before turning back to face me.
"You, me, leaving, now!" She half shouted as she ripped me from my locker and slammed the door shut. She continued to drag me down the hall towards home room, her left hand clutching to my right arm for dear life as we turned a corner sharply.

***

The morning had been pretty bland to be honest, english was boring, and bio was just assignment work. Now it was first break, and I had decided to go for a walk around school. Some fresh air would do better for me than just sitting around inside. I ended up near the bleachers where Josh, Lara and I would sit. But I didn't see Josh, I let out a sigh as I trudged over and sat down on one of the steps. Gazing around I found nothing really interesting, so I decided to grab my lunch.
Rummaging through my bag I found my lunch, then opened it I let out a soft chuckle as I found cough drops and aspirin in my bag of food with a little note saying "just in case you need it. Love Mom" I smiled at this and pulled out my sandwich, I looked up to see the hung head of Josh Sanderson as he gazed down at his phone. I took a large bit of my sandwich and just waited for him to notice me. He would rarely notice normally, just keep his head hung until he came to the bleachers.
He looked up for a moment, then back down at his phone before he actually gazed over, fully realising I was there. A smile formed as he put his phone away.
"Hey, you're back" he states as he comes to a stop at the foot of the bleachers. I gave him a nod as I swallowed my food.
"Yes I sure am" I sounded half sarcastic with my nasally words, then frowned in response to this.
"You okay?" Josh questioned as he sat on the step my feet were on, letting his feet hang over the side.
"Yeah, just tired" to be honest I was extremely tired, but it wasn't that which was making me feel a bit off, it was the idea that somewhere, in this school, Eddie was walking around with that letter of mine, and it was unnerving.
"Okay" Josh said sounding unconvinced as he stared down at his novel.

The rest of break was like this, just silent for moments, nothing awkward. We ended up walking to the library so I could grab a new text book.
I went off looking for the text book while Josh trailed behind me with his head buried in his novel. After a while I eventually found the edition I needed for the assignment, I let out a sigh as I turned to Josh and then saw Eddie walking directly towards us, and what I assume was a letting in his right hand.
"Oh god no" I mumbled, Josh looked up from his novel confused.
"What's wrong?" He questioned, all I did was watch as Eddie kept coming closer and closer. Josh turned to see what I was looking at.
"Stay here, I'll deal with him" Josh uttered before he attempted to walk off. I, in that split second thought of a way to hit two birds with one stone, and in an instant of misguided impulse I grabbed Josh by his sleeve and pulled him towards me. Our lips meeting in one swift move.

Don't kill me for leaving on a cliffhanger.
Okay, new chapter. This took ages because my internet decided to stop working, but I hope you guys are enjoying.

- TiesAndBones

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

441K 11K 60
𝐋𝐚𝐝𝐲 𝐅𝐥𝐨𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐇𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐝𝐨𝐧, 𝐝𝐚𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐥-𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰𝐧 𝐚𝐧𝐝, 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐢𝐦𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐥𝐲, 𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐥-𝐫...
1.3M 57K 103
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
556K 8.5K 85
A text story set place in the golden trio era! You are the it girl of Slytherin, the glue holding your deranged friend group together, the girl no...
59.8K 1.2K 46
*Completed* "Fake it till you make it?" A PR relationship with a heartbroken singer in the midst of a world tour sounds like the last thing Lando Nor...