Take Over

By LolaOnTheInterweb

"S-Stay, p-please," Keith mumbled, hiding his face in his pillow. Lance nodded climbing beside the small boy... More

A/N
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Apology
Chapter 23
Vote
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
New Story By Moi

Chapter 16

5.9K 156 505
By LolaOnTheInterweb

Third Person P.O.V

Keith fidgeted in his seat as the paladins talked cheerily around the table. What Allura did still hurt him, but Lance insisted that he come to dinner, he had even been stupid enough to say "see you at dinner". He had to come.

Lance glanced at Keith, never stopping his conversation with Pidge. He looked uncomfortable and Lance felt a little bad that he had forced him to come. His ears were flicked back when he had come to get Keith, so he was still sad. Lance just wanted to know what was making him feel this bad, it had to have been something one of them had done, but who?

"Dinner," Hunk placed an extravagant bowl of space goo on the table, "is served." The paladins laughed as they dug into the bowl, trying not to spill the goo anywhere. Pleasant chatter filled the room, grinding on Keith's ears as he stared at his lap. He wasn't hungry - yes, he was - he really wanted to leave. His tail flicked around and he hastily sat on it, biting his lip at the small flash of pain.

"Are you alright, Keith?" Pidge asked as she scooped up some goo.

"Yeah, uh, f-fine," Keith mumbled before quickly looking up, "I-I mean, I'm alright." The table shared a look, all eyes on Keith as he tried to look everywhere but them.

"Are you sure?" Shiro placed a hand on the boy's shoulder, "Do you not feel well?"

"I-I'm fine," Keith waved him away, "Eat."

"Only if you do too," Shiro countered, resulting in a small nod form Keith as he plated the green food. He took small bites as he listened to the conversations around the table.

"Pidge, how's locating your family going? Any closer?" Lance asked as he waved a spoon.

"Yeah," Pidge lit up, her glasses reflecting the shine in her eyes, "I'm really close to something, I can feel it. The programme I made..."

"Hunk," Shiro gave the boy an appreciative nod, "You've managed to make the goo taste not-goo, nice work."

"Hanks," Hunk swallowed his goo, "I've been trying something out to make it taste..."

"Keith," The boy turned to face Allura, "Are you sure you're alright? You're...ears are flicked back and you're barely eating," Allura whispered as the others kept talking. Keith's ears seemed to flick even farther back at the way she said ears, almost like it was something nasty in her mouth. He gave her a small nod, his throat closing as he pushed down tears. He told himself not to cry, cry when dinner is over, but his heart was hurting at the thought of how uncomfortable he made Allura, possibly Coran too.

He knew it would take a while for them to get used to him, but he had hoped the two would at least try. He can't say anything about Coran because the author barely puts him in unless she wants to torture Lance, but the last chapter Author-chan put Allura in as being wary of Keith and that made him cry.

He had thought she was alright with him, but he was wrong. Keith forced himself to eat quickly, wanting to leave the table as soon as possible. He didn't know how long he could keep himself together.

Allura smiled at the boy, him returning it with a feeble one and she flinched. She didn't want to dislike Keith, it wasn't his fault his mother was part of the race that decided to wipe out her entire life, but she couldn't help it. She needed someone to blame and he was always around, it was perfect. She felt guilty for acting and thinking the things she did, that's why she asked if he was alright. She didn't want her actions to affect him badly, the altean just needed to vent.

When she talked to Coran about it, he agreed to disagree about her actions, not telling her to stop but not waving the whole thought away. They were the last two alteans because of the Galra, the race that Keith shares half of his DNA with. Yeah, they know he wasn't there or that he did anything to help, but he's still Galra, still half-evil.

"Alright then," She whispered as she scooped up goo, "I won't pester you anymore." Keith gave her a sad look before turning back to his food. His stomach was in knots and his head felt like it was about to explode. His emotions kept rising to the surface and he had to strain himself to force them down. The food suddenly made his stomach churn and the small conversations grated in his ears.

He quickly finished his bowl and set it in the sink, heading to his room afterward.

"Wait," Keith turned around slowly, hoping they wouldn't make him stay, "Keith, where are you going?" Lance asked as he stood behind the table. Sadness filled Keith at the amount of concern in Lance's eyes, the emotion almost made him want to break down right here to be picked up and cared for by the boy.

"My room," Keith mumbled, flicking his head back.

"Stay," Hunk smiled, "I made a new dessert and I want you guys to try it."

"Uh-"

"Come on Keith," Pidge groaned, "Don't let me die by myself from his cooking."

"I-I really just-"

"Keith," Allura crossed her arms and glared at the boy, "It's just dessert."

"Fine," Keith spoke, his word catching on his voice as he quickly sat back down. He squeezed his tail rhythmically, something he found calmed him down a bit, just enough to keep him together a little longer. Hunk clapped and rummaged through the kitchen as the group waited. Keith glanced up at Allura, her blue eyes piercing into his own and he flinched, keeping his eyes on his tail until dessert came.

Allura rolled her eyes at how jumpy Keith was as she waited for Hunk's dessert. Had her words really scared him that much? Is he, a Galra, afraid of her, an Altean? She smirked at the thought, deciding to test out how much power she had over the boy.

"Keith," She whispered into the boy's ear. He flinched but looked up, his face masked in sadness and fear. She faltered for a second, his emotions on full display when he was in Galra form, then she remembered what she was doing, "Did I make you sad because I don't think you're anything more than a monster?"

Keith clenched his hands, claws digging deep into his palm as he let some of his tears spill, "Yo-You what?" His voice broke as he reeled in his emotions. He noticed Allura flinch before speaking again, leaning down to his ear.

"I think you're a monster, or, half monster," Allura's mouth moved before her brain could register what she was saying, "You're really nothing, not fully human, not fully Galra. Who are you, Keith Kogane: half-breed?"

"A-A paladin of Voltron," Keith whimpered.

"Not to me," Allura leaned back as Hunk made his way over, "You're just Galra."

Keith stared at his lap in defeat, his claws drawing blood from his palms. She was right, of course, he was nothing. Not human, not Galra, just a worthless half-breed.

"Keith, okay?" Lance asked. Tears blurred his vision and he hastily wiped them away before looking up and flashing the table a smile.

"Yup, I'm fine," Keith looked at his bleeding hands and turned his attention to the table, "I'm sorry, my stomach hurts, I shouldn't have eaten so much so quickly before I figured out if I could handle food again. I'm gonna go to my room, good night."

Keith dropped his smile as soon as his back was turned, not able to keep up the mask any longer. His blocked emotions crashed into him like a wave, almost making knocking the wind out of him. He carried himself to his room, barely noticing his surroundings as he fell into the comforting embrace of his comforter.

Meanwhile in the kitchen, the team was cheery as Hunk passed out his newest experiment, Pidge smirking at the thought of someone having to lie if it tasted bad. She wasn't going to eat it until she found out if the food was tainted or not by getting a hilarious reaction from one of them. The team - minus Pidge - warily took a bite of the dessert. Hunk had made a space goo cupcake - somehow - his baking getting more creative in space. He wanted to see if his recipe made it taste like space like goo or what he was aiming for: mint ice cream. It may look green, but when you bite into it it'll taste like the favored sweet.

He tapped his leg in anticipation as the group chewed the dessert. Pidge almost burst out laughing at how stupid they looked.

Shiro's face was flushed with a green tint, almost like he was sick while the other's were beet red(a/n: as red as caramel skin can be) while they ate the food. She mentally gave herself a pat on the back for waiting to see their reactions, it was well worth it. Her mind traveled to Keith as she watched them come up with a lie for Hunk. She looked down the hall towards his room. She hoped he was alright.

Keith sobbed into his comforter as his thoughts screamed at him.

Monster.

Not human.

Not Galra.

Nothing.

You're nothing to them.

They don't need you.

Stop crying, you look weak.

You are weak.

He tried to stop himself from crying but it only made him cry harder, his breaths becoming short gasps. He whimpered and clutched his head, pulling at his hair as he tried to feel something, anything but what he was feeling right now. This, this horrible crushing feeling on his chest like if he breathes the weight will crush him but if he doesn't he'll die. Maybe death would be a mercy for a monster li-no, he won't go that far...yet.

Tears ran down Keith's face as he cried and pulled his hair, trying to get back to reality. He would yell or call for help but the paladins seemed to be having fun, he didn't want to bother them more than he already does. He slid down the wall and hung his head, his sobs dwindling down to quiet cries.

He didn't want anyone to come in if he was being loud, he hated depending on others, but he was more worried about bothering them. He was already on thin ice as it was, he's part Galra. If he annoys them in any way, they could just kick him out into space without a second thought. He was just a blob of mass taking up space on the castle, he wasn't important. His heart broke at the revelation and his breathing stopped.

His heartstrings snapped and only his mind was left, and the mind...the mind is a brutal and terrifying thing.

Keith took a shaky breath as he tried to calm down. His hands shook as he climbed in to bed, wrapping himself with blankets and sheets. He shook under the covers, trying to catch his breath as a new wave of thoughts hit him.

Useless.

Annoying.

You don't deserve the paladins.

You don't deserve Lance.

They'll all leave you when they figure out what you are.

A monster.

A worthless piece of mass.

Not even really human.

Not even really Galra.

You're in between the two, you have no place.

You belong nowhere, with no one.

Pidge got off the couch after dinner, pulling Lance with her. He looked confused at first, but quickly realized what she was doing when she led them down the hall. He quietly followed behind, stopping in front of Keith's door. Lance looked at Pidge, stopping her from opening the door.

"Are we here to help him?"

"Duh," Pidge rolled her eyes and Lance huffed, "He said fine almost four times, you know what that word means for him. Shiro was basically watching the hallway while we tried dessert, hoping Keith was alright."

"Now we're here to help," Lance braced himself and knocked on the door. They waited for a witty answer or a plain 'no', but the room was silent.

"Is he-" Pidge waved him away, shushing him quickly as her fingers flew across the panel that locked the door. Lance stared at her, mouth wide open as she punched in the code only Shiro should know. She glanced at him and pushed his mouth closed, opening the door for the two of them.

Keith froze on the bed when he heard the door open. He sniffed and mentally cried. Pidge and Lance walked into the room and sat next to him on the bed.

"Keith, we know you're not okay but I'm still going to ask," Lance placed a hand on Keith's calf, "Okay?"

"N-No," Keith mumbled, "Y-Yeah, I'm fine."

"No you're not," Pidge huffed and pulled the layers of blankets back one by one, "You've said "fine" more times than I can count-"

"Five."

"-without  trying to hide it or anything," Pidge glared at Lance and he put his hands up in surrender, "You can tell us if something is wrong."

"So I'll ask again and if you lie I will tickle you, don't underestimate me," Lance made Pidge wait before taking off the last blanket, "Okay?"

"N-No," Keith shook as he sat up. Lance wrapped him in a hug while Pidge awkwardly rubbed his back. (a/n: she's not very good at comforting people, neither am I)

"I knew it," Lance smiled as he hugged the boy tighter, "Do you want to talk about it?"

Keith started to nod his head but froze. He couldn't tell them what Allura said, right? What if she gets mad at him and kicks him out? This is her castle. He shook his head and leaned closer to Lance.

"You lied," Lance's amusement crept into his voice, "Time to be tickled!" Lance pounced on Keith, attacking him with coordinated attacks of his fingers. The boy laughed and squirmed under Lance, trying to get away from his surprise attack. Pidge covered her mouth to keep in her laughter, and Lance pulled her onto the bed too. She screamed and giggled, the girliest thing she has shown them, as she was tickled.

The two shared a look as they tried to breathe and smirked. Lance froze, giving them the perfect opportunity to strike.

"Now!" Pidge yelled. Keith wrapped his tail around Lance's hands and Pidge attacked him with a flurry of fingers. He squirmed and laughed until he could barely breathe as she tickled him without quarter. Keith only let him go when they finished afterward lying next to him on the bed. The three panted on the bed together, friendly silence embracing them.

Keith didn't feel the crushing weight like he had before, it was now more of a dull ache. He knew it would come back, but right now it didn't matter because he had people who cared about him. He sat, giving the two a hopeful smile.

"What?" Lance asked.

"C-Could you guys," Keith looked away as heat rushed to his cheeks, "Would you mind sleeping over?" Pidge and Lance gasped dramatically, quickly forming a tight huddle. Keith gave them a confused look as loud whispers filled the room. The two would occasionally glance at the boy as they talked, letting him they were talking about him and only making him more curious.

Right as he was about to jump into the huddle, they broke apart with solemn looks on their faces. Keith faltered and his heart dropped.

"We're afraid we can't," Lance looked away and let out a sob.

"Oh, al-"

"We must prepare first!" Pidge exclaimed with a bright smile. Lance smiled and left the room with Pidge. Keith shook his head, a smile finding its way onto his face as he thought about how crazy his family was. The two rushed back in with blankets and pillows, setting up their own pallets on the floor. Pidge came back with two large sheets and a bunch of supplies. She pushed Keith into his bathroom and made him lock it.

The two started their project, laughter filling the room and a curious Keith leaning against the door.

- Time skip to after done building because I can't describe it -

Pidge wiped the sweat off her brow as she glanced at Lance. He shooed her to the bathroom and she swung the door open. Keith yelped and faceplanted on the ground. He laughed and got up, sneaking a glance at Lance who turned and blushed. (a/n: those memories...)

"What's-" Keith's eyes trailed over his room. A large fort was placed in the center, big enough for the three of them to sleep. The blankets almost touched the ceiling, the fabrics casting the room in a dim glow.

"Now we're ready to sleep over," Lance looped his arms with the two and led them to the fort. Keith instinctively grabbed his comforter as they passed his bed, not knowing what his brain lay in store for him while he slept. The inside was covered in pillows and blankets, making it as comfortable as possible. The three climbed under the covers, positioning themselves so everyone had space.

Keith in the middle, Lance on his right, and Pidge on his left. Keith squeezed his two friends' hands and turned to the ceiling.

"Thank you," He whispered.

"No problem," Pidge kissed Keith's cheeks and he smiled at her, "Don't worry I won't steal you from Lance."

"From Lance?" Lance asked in a mocking tone, "We're not together."

"Yet, the author has plans," Pidge cackled as she turned to sleep.

Keith faced Lance and gave him a small smile, "Thank you."

"Me? All I did was make a super awesome fort, a five-year-old could do this."

"A five-year-old did," Keith whispered. Lance dramatically gasped, and Keith had to stifle a giggle, "Still...thanks."

Lance paused, trying to recall the last time he had seen Keith so happy during these last couple weeks, "My pleasure."

Keith turned on his side, looking back at Lance, "Can you rub my ears again?"

"Sure," Lance moved closer to the boy, gently moving his hand to his ear. His hand shook with the familiar purrs until Keith fell asleep in his arms. Lance hugged him close, wishing he would never have to see Keith sad again, but he knew it was bound to happen. He would just have to hold onto him tightly, make sure he's always happy. It's the only thing he lives for.

____________________________________________________________________________

Hey peeps! My peoples, peeperooni! Lola here! (Okay, so I want a little thing to say for every A/N I do like this one, any suggestions I'm running out of these! I literally made this up in social studies)

Allura is venting her anger on Keith sensing it's hurting him but not knowing how bad it really is. I mean, he thought about death for a minute! Depressing! Allura is a little ooc and she'll be like that for probably two more chapters, I don't know. Do you like mean Allura, or do you want our kind-hearted altean back? Do you want a Coran filler chapter, literally just Coran bossing Lance around and telling him stories I made up, fun.

You might be wondering what my last A/N was and why it was so long. Well, my fellow unicorns, I want to talk to you guys after every chapter. You know, ask you how it was, tell you how I want the story to go, ask you how you want the story to go, the usual.

So, did you guys like this chapter? Anything I can fix? Do you have a suggestion for the next one, or where you want the story to go?

I have one question for you guys...You know what? I'm going to do daily questions, how fun!... Anyway, who is your favorite Voltron Legendary Defender or the original Voltron character? I love Keith...and Shiro...and Pidge and Coran and Krolia and Kosmo/Cosmo (Don't know how they spell his name) and basically all of them...

You know what to do (message me, t-the answer is to message me)

My church is kidnapping me this weekend. My parents are making me do Confirmation classes and I have a "field-trip" to a cabin in the woods with the other 8th graders in my youth group. Yay. It's going to be flipping cold and...cold, wooh! I love Connecticut! The cold is my best friend! A whole two days without my phone, so no Wattpad, yay life! (Level of sarcasm for you who are immune: 1000+)

Gotta hit the road, see you Tuesday!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.9K 106 24
He nearly cried out at the impact. The Black Paladin dug his hands into the fabric of his shirt, pushing him harshly against the wall, "Where is Lanc...
288K 9.4K 33
No one knew Keith was that strong, but he really was that, strong. "I'm sick of pretending!" Keith always yelled as he sagged below everyone in...
99.1K 3.8K 66
Before I tell you my story, you should probably know something. Everything that I'm about to tell you is real. This isn't some sappy story to get y...
250K 11.2K 40
Lol, first Klance! Hope you all enjoy! Keith has been haunted since he fought with the Druid. His hand... It just healed... That wasn't a normal thin...