Scars • hood au

By abnegationmuke

"You can choose to either live with these scars, or leave them behind." More

00
01
02
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
Epilogue

03

407 13 8
By abnegationmuke

a l e x a n d r a

MY walk home was nothing much of a story. I had crossed my arms tightly, clutching my blazers together as the cold breeze blew. My hair was annoying me too because it wasn't tied and was flying every other way possible.

Even though school was living hell, I hated being home more. Screw that. The only reason I wanted to be home was for my ill brother.

He was the only person I loved in that house. I didn't even love myself. Yet I'd sacrifice anything for him. He's all I had left and I wouldn't let anyone take him away from me or even lay a finger on him.

I took a deep breath whilst slowly turning the doorknob, praying with every ounce of energy left in my body that no one was at home (except for my brother.)

Closing the door and locking it behind me, I tip-toed to the kitchen and stalked the room: no one.

The living room was empty and everything was in place so I took that as a sign that nobody was home. Breathing a sigh of relief, I ran up to my brother's room and the door croaked as it opened.

"Luke..?" I quietly called out and received no respond, resulting that he was asleep so I locked the door behind me. "My poor baby."

I put my backpack down at his study table and caught myself in the mirror. I always wondered why I couldn't be perfect like every other girl out there...

My blonde hair was a total mess on my head and down my shoulders. My body wasn't skinny and my curves were wronged. Due to my short skirt, my oh-so-attractive legs were exposed and I put my feet together: not even a teeny-tiny gap.

Hell, my stomach wasn't flat either. I wasn't anorexic because, well, I loved food. So I was no where near eating disorders.

Before my fist connected with the reflection in the frame of glass, I retreated and slowly crept on the bed to Luke, my beloved baby brother.

He was only younger by a year but he was still my baby brother.

"Luke..?" I looked at his sleeping state and stroke his blonde hair out of his pale face. He seemed to shift and slowly opened his eyes.

I greeted him with a smile as he returned it genuinely. I loved how strong he was even in his condition and it was all for me. It clearly was the reason why I was trying my best to stay strong too: him.

Luke was not my real brother. But growing together made our bond stronger. He loved me too, and that made me love him even more every day.

"Hey... Have you eaten?" I continued stroking his hair and his blue eyes glowed due to the sunlight coming from the window.

"Mma... Mm-"

"Shh... Don't try, Luke. It's okay." I wanted to hear him speak. But I guess I never would.

He was disabled. He couldn't talk but he could hear normally. He was not physically disabled but he still needed help in a little moving.

"Have you eaten, Luke?"

Luke shook his head and I sighed out of frustration. I knew my so-called mom didn't feed him. He was her own blood and meat yet she didn't even give two shits about the poor boy.

But I was there for him.

And he knew everything about me because I would come home every day and tell him the things that'd happened throughout the whole day.

My problems, my secrets, my clinical depression... Everything.

But he couldn't tell me his.

"You want to eat with me? No one's home, I promise." I showed him my pinky and his hand shook as he raised it to lock our pinkies together. "That's my Hemmo."

He tried to chuckle and succeeded which made me cheer and kiss his cheek.

Luke Hemmings was a special human being.

Then I remembered that I had something to tell him.

Something that'd make him happy and I knew it.

"Luke..." I broke his focus on playing with the tips of my hair. "I have something to tell you and this time, it's not a bad thing." I smiled and he grinned cheekily.

"Okay here it goes." I sucked in a breath and his eyes bored into my face. "I made a friend at school. No, three!"

He let out some kind of a "Yeay!" and hugged me tight. I knew he was happy for me and I wanted to keep him feeling that way.

"N-name..." I pulled back and eyed him confusely. "T-the...n-names?"

A smile crept on my face due to his voice forming words and I pecked his nose, "You mean their names?"

He nodded and I told, "Well, the guy who asked to be my friend is named Michael. You remember those mean guys I told you about?" I asked, referring to Emmett and Ian.

Luke simply nodded and his sapphire eyes glistened.

"Well, Michael stood up for me and made them leave while they were shitting me! How nice was that of him?!" He grinned. "And then, during recess, I actually had lunch with him and these other two guys; Ashton and Calum!"

His smile faded a little and I lifted his gaze up by putting my finger under his chin, "Aw Lukey, what's wrong?"

"A-all b-bo... B-boys?"

He was worried.

"Yes, apparently no girl would like to be friends with me wouldn't they?" I threw him a sad smile and he returned one, nuzzling his head on my chest as I wrapped my arm around him.

"I'll be careful, baby, don't worry about me." I whispered and he gave me a small nod before I pulled away to change clothes. "Mind if I put on your clothes, Luke?"

He shook his head and got under the blanket, earning a laugh from me as I stripped off my uniform and pulled on one of his sweaters. I also put on his baggy sweats to cover the hugeness of my damn legs.

Fat faggot.

Shut up. Shut up. Shut up.

"You can pop your head out now, Hemmo."

And he did, giving me a thumbs-up while I quickly plait my hair to the side so it wouldn't get in my face.

I was adopted in the Hemmings family. Eventually, the father died and Luke's brothers left because they couldn't stand their mother's behaviour. They loved Luke, but they didn't want to burden themselves by bringing the disabled one along.

Due to my past with my real family, these people tried to accept me when I was first welcomed into the tribe. But after the death of her husband, Liz Hemmings despised me and even her own son.

But at the end of the day, I would understand her. She had a disabled child still under her care and me to add to the list. She had to deal with her sons leaving her right after the love of her life went away forever.

If I were her, I didn't know how I would've lived. But how she acted was like a monster and both Luke and I were afraid.

"Let's get some food into that stomach of yours, Lukey." I helped him up and we slowly crept down to the kitchen.

I had my arms around his waist and his arm was slung around my shoulders due to his height that almost towered over everything.

Sitting him down on the high stool, I cooked two instant vegetable omelets and served them with a plate of rice so he'd be full. I didn't forget myself, though.

I thought we could steal an hour watching the TV and cuddle together after so long. But as soon as I was done with the dishes and was about to give him a drink, the door flung open.

Oh, no.

Liz was home and it was barely 5 p.m.

She huffed and slammed the door shut before throwing her handbag onto the couch.

"Shh..." I assured Luke whilst putting the glass at his lips so he could drink the water. "It'll be okay, Lukey."

It wouldn't.

Her footsteps were headed our way in the kitchen and I knew what was to come. I wasn't worried about myself. It was Luke.

"What the fuck are you two doing here?!" shock kicked into my veins and Luke coughed as he quickly swallowed the water, causing the glass to slip from my hands.

"You damn bitch that costed money!" she yelled furiously, shaking every inch of my body and I noticed Luke's frightened figure. "You! You caused this, faggot! YOU'RE JUST A BURDEN!" she was full on screaming now and I bent down to pick up the shattered pieces of glass on the floor.

Liz neared Luke and I was scared half to death when she was standing before the now full-on crying boy. I sprinted up to protect him, earning a snicker from the lady he called mother.

"Get out of the way, you little shit!" she pushed my head with her long fingers but I still wouldn't budge, hugging Luke in my arms as he buried his face in my chest: crying.

"Oh my God make him stop!!!" she covered her ears frustratedly and paced around the kitchen when Luke's broken voice sobbed into my - his - sweater.

"Shh, I'm right here, baby. I'm here..." I stroke Luke's soft hair as the salty tears streamed down my face.

Liz kicked the shattered pieces of glass randomly as she screamed, earning a shocked Luke in my arms, crying harder.

"I swear to God, make him stop, bitch!" I felt my hair being pulled before I was pushed and fell to the ground, my hand landing on a broken glass.

Even though it was freely bleeding, the pain was numb due to the one I was already feeling inside.

Luke's face reddened and his cries grew harder when he caught me hurting on the floor. Liz just dodged his head like he was an idiot in a mental hospital and stomped her feet away out of the kitchen.

"All of you are just sick people who deserve to die!" she shouted before grabbing her bag and keys, slamming the door behind her.

I was now crying my eyes out as I curled into a ball on the floor, Luke slowly heading towards me with all his might as tears flowed down his already-stained cheeks.

He fell on his knees next to me and I immediately pulled him into a tight embrace, crying our tears out together. Luke didn't deserve all the shit he'd been treated yet I did.

"Mm-ma,"

I stopped him by pulling his face tighter to my neck so he'd stop trying to speak.

"Luke," I called and he nodded, "I love you. Just promise me you'll stay strong and that I'm always here for you."

He nodded furiously and held up a pinkie for me which I gladly hooked with mine.

The scars weren't just hurting me, they were hurting him.

I KNOW LIZ HEMMINGS IS NOT LIKE THAT AT ALL IN REAL LIFE!

IT'S JUST FICTION!

LONG UPDATE WOW

APPLAUSE

And this scene... basically I've lived it before so, yeah.

Ily guys and I'm chocmilkhood on Twitter.

Just tellin

Don't misjudge

I'm not Sarah haha and boom no one reads this lm fucking ao

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

406K 8.4K 67
says it all in the title... enjoy xx
54.5K 3.1K 52
⤷ something is wrong, i can't explain. everything changed when the birds came. [completed] → content warning: depression anxiety ...
2.4K 149 27
❝it's about the impact someone can have on your life - how they can tear you apart and rebuild you.❞ © twenty-fourteen | cuhlum
7.3M 21.3K 20
5sos preferences. caution: may cause major feels