23

a l e x a n d r a

SILENCE.

That's all that my mind could interpret after a week without Luke Hemmings. A week after I threw all those hundreds of days being clean down the drain.

A week of pure torture and fake laughs that I didn't even want to make.

A week of boredom and neglecting the whole world.

A week of Michael not being happy as he always was.

A week of Ashton trying so hard to make everyone be themselves again, including me.

A week of Calum trying to make me smile and laugh.

Calum.

Today was the last day of school until winter break - which was an absolute relief. I could finally end all the torture and sharp glances I received from Ian and Emmett.

I stood in front of the mirror, clearly not admiring myself.

The clock was ticking away the seconds until Calum's mum would call me to go down to the kitchen for breakfast. But right now, it's time for me to wake up.

Scars from a week ago were bright although not fresh. Why was I so weak? Why couldn't I be strong for once?

I slipped on my plaid skirt before buttoning down the white shirt and tucking them in. Covering the ugly cuts, I buttoned the sleeves at my wrist.

Loose strands of my hair fell along my cheeks as it was tied in a messy pony tail. I didn't understand how girls could make it their decent look.

They could all just pull off these loose strands as their effortless look: effortlessly looking effortless the whole time.

Me?

I looked like a round-faced chipmunk with spaghetti dangling on its cheeks.

Shaking my head, I huffed out some air before grabbing my blazer off the hanger and put it on, smoothing the sleeves and collar out.

There were several knocks at the door, "Alex?"

Somehow I managed a smile... Small, but visible.

"Just a second." I called out, untangling my hair and brushing it over my shoulders before they fell down my back as usual.

"You look just the same all day every day." I mumbled to myself after taking one more glance at the mirror.

I started for the door, picking up my backpack in the process and slung it over my shoulders.

"Hey." Calum grinned once I opened the door. "You look beautiful."

My cheeks felt warm and so did my heart. But I only responded with a simple smile and "Thank you."

"So, mum left early for work today. It's Friday, remember? Last day of school!" he cheered, looking so happy.

I nodded, smiling along as we headed downstairs.

"Ash is already out front with Michael. I shouted for you but you didn't come out so I went up to get you." He looked concerned, "Is everything alright?"

That's when I realized that I wasn't speaking at all and since when did he shout for me? Had I become deaf already?

Silence is deafening.

Yes...yes it does.

"Hey, talk to me." we'd stopped a few feet away from the front door, my hands already gripped in his.