True Hearts | Downton Abbey

Od mphee_bs

T R U E H E A R T S Only love matters, everything else is just detail. After a fam... Viac

introduction
part i
one
two
four
five

three

1.5K 45 33
Od mphee_bs

in honour of the downton abbey film trailer dropping - enjoy this chapter :))))

three

IT was strange not to see each other all in black. They were finally out of mourning and Sybil immediately went to dress into bright dresses of pink. Beatrix, returned to her usual blue dresses, hoping that now she would be able to move on, despite the feeling that her heart wasn't fully real in her chest. She had felt a similar way after her mother had died, and supposed that every time someone dear to a person died, a piece of their heart would be chipped away.

Beatrix had also returned to playing the piano - something she had stopped whilst in mourning. Her long brown hair tumbled neatly down her back, hanging in soft ringlets, whilst the front was tied together at the back. Cora smiled at her when she walked in the room and Beatrix supposed that she thought this was the first sign of healing, and perhaps it was.

One day, she decided to go into town along with Sybil. They walked down the streets until they came to a shop window, a typewriter standing on display. "This will be Patrick's gift for me," said Beatrix bittersweetly. "His final gift and his last goodbye."

Sybil smiled at her. "It's what he would have wanted."

Squeezing her cousin's hand slightly, the two went into the shop and left with a large box in Beatrix's arms. Once they had returned back at Downton, Beatrix set it up on her desk and sat down. Stretching her hands and taking a steadying breath, she began to type.

In her room was where she spent most of her time now, sitting at her desk looking out across the gardens. The sound of typing loud and echoing down the corridor. Beatrix was left alone most of the time, joining her family for dinner but breakfast and luncheon were brought up to her room. Time was just a concept to her, it was meaningless. After what seemed like mere hours to her - but what actually had been weeks, Beatrix had finished her short story. Sighing heavily, she stared at the pile of paper in front of her. Unable to keep the smile off her face she picked out a ribbon from her drawer and carefully tied it around the pile.

"I've done it," she murmured. "I've actually done it."

Beatrix suddenly jumped as the door opened behind her. Jane stood in the doorway. "Good morning, my Lady," she said softly. "Did you sleep well?"

Beatrix spun around to her. "I've done it, Jane," she beamed. "I've done it."

"You mean..." she began, her eyes wandering over to the desk and the pile of paper. She looked back at her. "You finished it?"

"I finished it," she nodded. "I've finished my first short story."

Jane put her hands over her mouth in pride. "My goodness! My Lady! That's incredible. Will you tell your aunt and uncle?"

Beatrix nodded. "At dinner." She then looked down nervously. "What I said months ago, about you reading it over, I really do mean it. It would mean the world to me if you could read it and tell me your thoughts. I honestly can't think of a better person."

"Oh, my Lady-"

"You don't have to if you don't want to, of course, but-"

Jane took her hands in hers. "I would love to."

"Thank you, Jane," Beatrix smiles gratefully.

"Now, let's get you ready for the Duke's arrival," she said.

After changing out of yesterday's dress, Beatrix made her way to join her cousins in Mary's room, a booklet held tightly in her hands. When she entered, she sat down on the bed and watched Mary preparing herself for the Duke's arrival. Sybil was helping her with her hair, carefully placing a delicate white rose in it. Edith rolled her eyes. "Oh, do stop admiring yourself," she said bitterly. "He's not marrying you for your looks. That's if he wants to marry you at all."

Beatrix paid her cousins no attention as she read the booklet she was holding eagerly, ignoring the rest of the world. A large ornate building was drawn on the front cover of the front pamphlet. She had just finished her first short story - this meant that her dream might actually have a chance of becoming reality. This thought made a smile spread across her lips.

"He will," said Mary confidently.

Sybil smiled up at her eldest sister. "You look beautiful."

"Thank you, Sybil darling," she replied.

Cora appeared at the door. Beatrix looked over and stood from the bed she was sitting on, subtly tucking the booklet behind her back.

"We should go down," said Cora in a melodic voice. "They'll be back from the station at any moment."

The four walked past.

"Let's not gild the lily, dear," said Cora, plucking the flower from Mary's hair. "And Mary, try to look surprised."

As the sisters made their way down the stairs, Beatrix quickly threw her leaflet into her bedroom, before rushing after them. Outside, the staff lined up on one side, the family on the other. A car stopped in front of the house, and a young man with a round nose and floppy brown hair emerged. He was slightly good looking, thought Beatrix as she emerged from the house, but his arrogance was clear. Perhaps, he and Mary would marry after all.

"Welcome to Downton," greeted Robert.

"Lady Grantham," the man said, smiling, "this is so kind of you."

"Not at all, Duke," dismissed Cora. "I'm delighted you could spare the time." She stepped to the side. "You know my daughter Mary, of course."

"Of course, Lady Mary," he greeted.

"And Edith," she continued, "but I don't believe you've met my youngest, Sybil or our cousin, Beatrix."

"Ah, Lady Sybil," he said, walking over and taking her hand.

"How do you do?" She asked in her airy voice, which caused Mary to send worried daggers her way.

He turned then to Beatrix. "And Lady Beatrix."

"Pleasure to meet you," she said politely.

"Come on in," invited Cora. "You must be worn out."

"Oh, Lady Grantham, I have a confession to make which I hope won't cause too much bother," exclaimed the Duke. "My man has taken ill just as I was leaving so I..."

Robert looked at his wife. "Oh, well, that won't be a problem," he looked to the head butler, "will it, Carson?"

"Certainly not," he replied. "I shall look after his Grace myself."

"Oh, no, I wouldn't dream of being such a nuisance," said the Duke, poking his cane in the air towards Carson. "Surely a footman..." His eyes landed on Thomas. "I remember this man. Didn't you serve me when I dined with Lady Grantham in London?"

"I did, your Grace," said Thomas, looking straight.

"Ah," sighed the Duke. "There we are. We shall do very well together, won't we..."

"Uh, Thomas, your Grace."

The Duke nodded. "Thomas."

The family began to move towards the house when suddenly, Bates fell to the floor, the gravel splashing like water beneath him. Robert rushed over. "Bates, are you alright?" He asked, concerned.

"Perfectly, my Lord," he replied.

Beatrix looked up and saw the look exchanged between O'Brien and Thomas, a sort of private sneer.

"I apologise," said Bates.

As the family continued in, Beatrix looked back at Bates, meeting Jane's eyes as she and Anna helped him up.

"Are you alright?" Asked Jane.

"That's better," said Anna, brushing off the dirt.

Bates lifted his hand. "Please, don't feel sorry for me," he said before following the other servants around the back.

Anna bowed her head, but quickly recovered and walked around the back. Jane sighed but followed. After trying to speak to Anna to see whether she was alright, and getting nowhere, she focused on her duties and made her way up to Beatrix's room. When she entered, she stopped in her tracks, noticing the booklet on the floor. Crouching down, she picked it up.

"Oh!" Beatrix exclaimed when she almost walked into the maid.

Jane jumped as she turned. "I found this on the floor," she said, handing it to her. "Is it yours?"

Beatrix took it. "Yes," she said hesitantly. Nervously, her eyes fluttered to Jane's. "You were looking at it - what do you think?"

"Oh, well," Jane began to ramble.

"Jane, please," she said, practically begging. "I want your opinion. Am I insane for even thinking about it?"

Jane smiled. "No. I think it would be incredible. After all. You did just write a book."

Beatrix sighed in relief. "Not a book, Jane. Just a rambling of ideas," she chuckled. "Do you think I could do it? I could get in?"

"I don't know anything about that," shrugged Jane honestly. "But I know if anyone can, it would be you."

Beatrix smiled. "Imagine it, Jane." She knelt down beside her bed and pulled out a small box. She stared down at the booklet in her hands before carefully putting it in the box. "Imagine. Oxford, Jane, Oxford."

"It will be fantastic," Jane nodded.

That evening, they sat around the table, their cutlery clinking together as they ate. Cora smiled up at the young Duke. "I'm afraid we're rather a female party tonight, Duke," she apologised, chuckling. "But you know what it's like trying to balance numbers in the country. A single man outranks the Holy Grail."

"No, I'm terribly flattered to be dining en famille," he replied, a smile wide on his face, ripples in his cheeks.

Beatrix put down her glass as she tried to gather some courage to tell her family her news. "Aunt, Uncle, there's something I wanted to tell you."

"Oh?" said Robert curiously, looking up.

She nodded. "Yes, well, as you know, I've been in my room and, well, I finished my first story - my first short story," she finished excitedly.

Cora smiles broadly. "That's wonderful, darling."

"Are you happy with it?" asked Robert.

"There obviously will be some severe edits and changes to it, but, yes, I am rather. I've never finished one before."

"You know how your Uncle loves his books, why don't you get him to read it over?" suggested Cora.

Beatrix nodded. "I asked Jane to read over it first, but after some edits, I would be so grateful."

"I'd be happy to, Beatrix," smiled Robert.

"I had no idea this was such a talented family," complimented the Duke.

Edith cleared her throat and lowered her glass. "What were you and Mary doing in the attics this afternoon?"

Beatrix, along with everyone else, looked up. Beatrix clenched her jaw at Edith's sour determination to cause trouble.

"I expect Mary was just showing the Duke the house, weren't you?" Said Sybil.

Mary forced a smile.

Violet intervened, sitting forward in her chair. "Are you a student of architecture?" She asked the Duke.

"Absolutely," he replied.

"Then I do hope you'll come and inspect my little cottage. It was designed by Wren," she continued.

"Ah," the Duke nodded, feigning interest.

"For the first earl's sister."

"The attics?" Robert cut across.

Edith looked directly at her sister. "Yes," she replied. "Mary took the Duke up to the attics."

"Whatever for?" He asked.

Cora looked at Mary and asked softly, "Why was this, dear?"

Beatrix and Sybil exchanged nervous glances.

"We were just looking around," said Mary.

"Looking around?" Scoffed Edith. "What is there to look at but servants' rooms? What was the real reason?"

Violet chuckled nervously. "Don't be such a chatterbox, Edith."

"I think we'll go through," said Cora, beginning to stand up.

"I still don't understand-"

"Will you hold your tongue!" Snapped Mary, across the table, her voice quiet but threatening.

The women stood and left the room, following Cora, whilst Robert and the Duke stayed behind.

*

          The servants sat around their dining table, their plates empty in front of them. Thomas looked down unsatisfied. "How long do you think they'll be? I'm starving."

          "Have you settled the ladies?" Asked Carson, his voice dreary.

          "Yes, Mr Carson," he replied, putting a cigarette in his mouth.

          "Then it won't be long once they go through."

          Daisy looked around. "Do you think he'll speak out?" She asked excitably. "Do you think we'll have a duchess to wait on? Imagine that!"

          "You won't be waiting on her, whatever happens," said Mrs Patmore wistfully.

          Jane chuckled with Gwen.

          "There is no reason why the eldest daughter and heiress of the Earl of Grantham should not wear a duchess's coronet with honour," said Carson proudly.

          From Jane's previous times at staying at Downton, she had come to the conclusion that Carson had a soft spot for Mary, her being his favourite. She smiled at his comment, leaning her mouth on her hand.

          Mrs Hughes looked at Carson. "Heiress, Mr Carson?" She questioned. "Has it been decided?"

          "It will be," he said confidently, "if there's any justice in the world."

          "Well, we'll know soon enough," she sighed.

          Whilst they spoke, Anna busied herself collecting a sandwich and a drink and putting it carefully on a tray. Mrs Patmore watched her. "What you doing, Anna?" She asked.

          "I thought I'd take something up to Mr Bates," she explained. "Him not being well enough to come down. You don't mind, do you, Mrs Hughes?"

          "I don't mind," she replied. "Not this once."

          "No, take him whatever he might need," agreed Carson.

          Anna nodded, thankful, and left the room, the tray in her hands. As she disappeared, Carson said in a clear voice to the rest of the staff, "Mr Bates is leaving without a stain on his character," he said. "I hope you all observe that in the manner of your parting."

          "Well, I don't see why he has to go," said William honestly. "I don't mind doing a bit of extra work."

          "It's not up to you," interjected Thomas coldly.

          "I do hope he finds another place to go," said Jane.

          Thomas eyed her with narrow eyes before looking at Carson. "I'll take care of his lordship, shall I, Mr Carson?"

          "Not while you're looking after the Duke," he disagreed, "you won't. I'll see to his lordship myself."

          After eating, Jane made her way upstairs to where Beatrix was sitting on her bed, her knees drawn up to her chest, a book in front of her as she read. "Good evening, my Lady."

          She looked up and smiled. "Good evening, Jane."

          "Did you tell Lord and Lady Grantham about your book?"

          Beatrix laughed bashfully. "It's not a book, but yes, I did tell them."

          "And?" Jane asked excitedly. "How'd they react?"

          "They were excited for me," she replied. "Uncle offered to read over it. Of course, I said after you had read it," she added.

          Jane blushed. "It would be my honour." She walked over to the desk. "Can I start it tonight?"

         "Yes please," she said. As Jane stood in the doorway about to leave, she called out, "Thank you, Jane. You have no idea how much this means to me."

          "Sleep well, my Lady."

          "Oh, and, Jane?" She added as she remembered, "Could you wake me early so I can wish Bates goodbye?"

          "Of course," she nodded, shutting the door behind her as she left.

          The following morning, Jane woke Beatrix up before usual as she had promised. As Jane picked out a simple dress, Beatrix said, "It's sad that Bates' is being forced to leave."

          "I quite agree, my Lady," said Jane.

          "Was he really as much trouble as Carson and O'Brien made him out to be?"

          "Not what I saw," she replied.

          Beatrix shook her head. "So unjust. If this were my household, I'd tell them to just deal with it." She chuckled. "But then again, it's not my household and I doubt I'll ever run anything as challenging as Downton."

          Jane smiled at her mistress. "You could if you wanted to, my Lady."

          "It's a kind notion, but I'd rather a simple life than one of a servants', though of course, if that did happen, I'd miss you terribly."

          "And I you, my Lady," said Jane. "There." She stepped back and handed Beatrix a pair of shoes.

          "Thank you, Jane, I'll go down now."

          Beatrix left the room and made her way outside where Bates was standing facing the house. Robert was already outside, too, along with the Duke, Carson and Cora.

          "You've been so kind, Lady Grantham," said the Duke. "Thank you."

          "Goodbye, Duke," she said politely.

          Beatrix exited the house, the Duke's eyes landing on her. "Have you come to wish me well, Lady Beatrix?" He asked.

          "Not quite," she replied with a polite smile, walking past him to Bates. She smiled sadly at Bates. "I'm sad to see you leave," she said. "I wish it didn't have to be this way."

          "It's quite alright, my Lady," he said, "but I'm sure I'll find something."

          "I'm sure you will," she replied.

          The Duke climbed into the car after making his goodbyes to Robert and Cora, both of whom, not believing his pleasantries one bit. Robert then went over to Bates. "Goodbye, Bates," he said earnestly, "and good luck."

          "Good luck to you, my Lord," he replied, smiling his usual smile. He then turned to climb into the front.

          Beatrix looked at Robert, her brown eyes wide. "Uncle," she murmured. "Bates doesn't need to leave. It's not right."

           Robert lowered his eyes, his mind a muddle, only clearing when the sound of the car's engine came alive. "Wait!" He called out. "Get out, Bates," he ordered, grabbing the man's bag.

          "I really mustn't be late," said the Duke, but he was ignored.

          "Get back inside and we'll say no more about it," he said to Bates.

          A small grateful smile appeared on his lips as he walked back to the house. Beatrix smiled at her uncle. "You should know to always listen to me, Uncle, for I am always right."

          Robert chuckled and continued walking into the house, Beatrix just behind him.

A/n:
So this is the end of episode 1!
I hope you enjoyed the chapter and I'd love to hear your feedback, opinions and thoughts on my characters
And I'm looking forward to introducing Oscar Crawley in the next chapter! I do like him and I hope you end up liking him too aha
Please do vote, comment and follow to stay updated and I hope you have a lovely day

Published :: 21/05/2019

Pokračovať v čítaní

You'll Also Like

24.8K 396 11
Lady Emma Crawley is the third child of Lord and Lady Grantham. She is extremely loyal to those who loves her and she believes family is the most imp...
65.4K 1.1K 83
REVISING! You're just Tom's little sister he never talked about. When out of the blue you get a call from him inviting you to Downton Abbey to meet h...
1.6K 20 17
• The second book of the 'Viscount Downton' trilogy • Alex Crawley and his family now have a new adventure coming to them: they're heading to the Sou...
726 20 5
Season 5 Downton Abbey Emma (3rd daughter of Robert and Cora Crawley) returns back to Downton after hiding in New York, following a scandal that coul...