Why do we Fight? - Volume II...

Oleh ArcanePanzer

The continuation of the story as it follows the lives of Argen Lorderius (The reader) and the inhabitants of... Lebih Banyak

Chapter 1: Raiding the Raiders
Chapter 2: Warriors of their own Accord
Chapter 3: Still Alive and Kicking
Chapter 4: A Rouge's Life
Chapter 5: Viking Diplomacy
Chapter 6: Driving Force
Chapter 7: A Fallen's Final Request
Chapter 8: Reenlistment
Chapter 9 (Part II): Wood, Iron, and Steel
Chapter 10: The Harsh Reality of Life
Chapter 11: The Truth Always Hurts
Chapter 12: Common Enemies
Chapter 13: Common Negotiations
Chapter 14: New World, New Possibilities
Chapter 15: Allies and Enemies
Chapter 16: Cycle of Allegiances
Chapter 17: A Returned Fruit
Chapter 18: Foreign Relations
Side Stories: The Strong, the Honorable
Chapter 19: Beginning of an Invasion
Chapter 20: Up the Beach
Chapter 21: Who are You?
Chapter 22: Reconnaissance
Side Stories: Our Life Then and Now
Chapter 23: Cross' Revelation
Chapter 24: The Great Raid
Final Chapter: The Real Beginning

Chapter 9 (Part I): Wood, Iron, and Steel

506 20 4
Oleh ArcanePanzer

HI. Y'all saw the new armor sets for our original heroes? They're all so impressive looking, eh? Especially the Lawbringer which connects to the lore concerning Apollyon. Also, Mercy has a face now, as well as the Nobushi! Pretty neat update, right! xP Also, my apologies for taking so long! I was studying for my finals so I was quite busy. But do not fret, for I have no plans in abandoning this, especially since we reached 17,000 reads for Volume I!

Shout out to TheJuniorMint for identifying errors in my past work and helping me correct them! 🖐

All Disclaimer-class guns, targets are the readers. FIRE FOR EFFECT! (<•°□°)╯

I do not, in any way, own For Honor or any resources that might make an appearance here. If I did, then For Honor would be an open world game. :P

But "Kingdom Come: Deliverance" already did that, so meh. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

++++++++++++++++++++

- Outskirts of Odinsgard, General POV... -

The view pans over Odinsgard, showing Blackstone forces occupying the shipyard. The view pulls back to reveal Stigandr watching from afar.

(The view from Stigandr's position. Source: For Honor wiki)

Stigandr: (Narrating) "We would need ships, and I had been out of action for long enough."

Stigandr slides down the mountain and begins his mission. He jogs down from the hill he was on through a narrow path surrounded by snow and stone. As he exits the pathway, he notices a figure of a Blackstone Warden charging at full speed, and he managed to narrowly block an attack from above with his shield, though it staggered him.

Blackstone Warden: "Etiam! (Bring in on!)" His enemy exclaims at him with her native language.

Stigandr: "Do you think I understand what you're saying!?" Stigandr retorts at her, which he followed by heavy strike from his left, which was blocked.

Wasting no time, he goes in and breaks the female Warden's guard, which allowed him to bash her helmet with the reinforced rim of his round shield and giving him the opportunity to stab her twice.

Naturally, his enemy did not like this, but she is still dizzy from that bash that she can't think well. But Stigandr won't wait for her to get her senses back; the Warborn want. Within a few seconds, Stigandr had already struck the killing blow to his enemy, pulling off his sword then uses his shield as a support for his sword to decapitate the Blackstone, kicking the lifeless body off his way before continuing on.

He enters through the broken part of the wooden fencing and with just that, he is inside Odinsgard. However, his presence is neither stealthy nor is accepted. Not like he's here for diplomacy anyways.

Stigandr: "Odin's beard!" He exclaims upon seeing more Blackstone inside.

Julius Salavander was just talking to one of his lieutenants when he immediately caught sight of the trespassing Viking. The archer with goes to action and signals the entire garrison to be on alert.

Stigandr: "These Blackstones have done a poor job at fortifying our defenses."

He then goes down from his position and confronted the initial Blackstone resistance. But this is the reason why he wanted to go in the first place.

Stigandr: "I needed to get that gate open, and fast."

As he crosses the rather rugged-looking wooden bridge, he faces two Blackstone Captains and three footmen, all of which he made short work of. The lieutenant that Salavander was talking to earlier actually posed a threat in his way. With no time to waste, he attacked first, unintentionally and conveniently throwing the Blackstone to the freezing water below the bridge.

Continuing on, he entered the room in front of him where a massive circular saw is spinning and a Blackstone Conqueror are inside. Stigandr charged at the Conqueror with his shield, putting him against the wall and cornering him. The Blackstone retaliates by bashing the Warlord with his own shield attacks with a light from his right.

Stigandr: "That hurt, but not enough!" He teases.

(Stigandr fighting the Conqueror inside the lumber mill. Source: For Honor wiki)

The Conquror didn't pay any attention to Stigandr's words and continued to attack. Stigandr eventually parries one of his attacks, knocking him off balance which allowed Stigandr to take hold of him and use his shield to push the Blackstone towards the saw, killing him in a gruesome way.

Apollyon: (Narrating) "Once the Blackstones were pushed out of Valkenheim, the Vikings put their shipwrights and their lumber mills back to work. And then, they would need a target."

Stigandr: "That's one way to reuse that thing." He murmurs to himself.

He exits the sawmill through another entrance, and sees himself face to face with another squad of Blackstones being led by another Conqueror; this time, with 'II' etched on his shield, indicating that this one is more experienced.

Stigandr kills off a couple of the Knights including a Captain, but was interrupted from further assaults by the Conqueror. Stigandr was caught off-guard and the Conqueror was able to hit him on all directions following up with a shield bash.

Stigandr is hurt, but this is what he signed up for.

After recovering while blocking attacks from the few Blackstones remaining, he lashes out cuts the throat of one of the footmen. He then shifts his attacks to the Conqueror who struggled against his powerful strikes. The Conqueror assumes a defensive stance, which allowed Stigandr to focus on eliminating the rest of the footmen. Afterwards, Stigandr kills the Conqueror and proceeds to climb up the ladder nearby.

Up the ladder, Stigandr is faced with yet another group of Knights. This time, a Lawbringer is with them.

Stigandr: "Oh Hel!" He exclaims upon seeing the significantly more armored Knight.

He knew that these Knights pose a great challenge to anyone including him. He will have to outwit this opponent.

With a war cry, the Warlord attacked his opponents with ferocity. He felt great being able to swing his sword and shield again since who knows how long. Without even noticing it, he let his instincts take over and the next thing he knew, he headbutts the Lawbringer, and did an uppercut to the face with his shield. It was truly a refreshing change. Above him and the gate are two large buildings.

Apollyon: "The runes of the Vikings and our own letters must have a common ancestor. The difference is that our letters can be drawn with a quill, whereas theirs only require a chisel."

Stigandr proceeds to the gate controls and attempts to open it. It took him a few seconds to open it, but he did it nonetheless, revealing Helvar at the front of a Warborn battlegroup.

(Stigandr opening the gate. Source: For Honor wiki)

Stigandr: "Kill 'em all!" He shouts, and he is answered with a powerful war cry from his brethren.

He turns back behind sees the Blackstones have rallied a greater force prepared to fight to their last. In the middle of the docks is one of their treasured longships; worn out and unfixed.

Apollyon: (Narrating) "The Vikings like to tell stories about why they decorate their ships with monsters, but the simplest explanation is the best one. They do it to frighten their enemies."

With another battle imminent, Stigandr mounts on the ballista in front of him that the Blackstones installed as a form of internal defense. Unfortunately for them, it was going to be used against them after all.

Helvar: "Good change of atmosphere for you, ain't it?" The Berserker says to Stigandr.

Stigandr: "You have no idea." He replies and they both chuckle.

Alvis and Taric both join Helvar, and as they charge towards the Blackstones on the bridge alongside the Warborn, Stigandr identifies the bigger threats, namely the Wardens, Conquerors, and another Lawbringer. He thought to himself that everything is going very well, almost too well. They almost have the docks, but even so, they already won before everything else.

They outnumber the Blackstones greatly. Something tells him that this is supposed to happen.

Shaking these thoughts, fired the first shot, immediately neutralizing the lone Lawbringer. He loaded another bolt and fired at the Warden there as Helvar quickly kills off a Conqueror.

(Using the ballista. Source: For Honor wiki)

Stigandr: "I almost pity those Knights." He murmurs.

Arrows flew from the left and hit some of the Warborn on the stone bridge. Stigandr looks and sees Blackstone archers attacking from high and low. He turns the turret and immediately set to kill off the archers, hitting his first target in the neck in the process. More kept appearing, however.

Stigandr: "Ah Hel. This is going to take a while..."

- In remote location in Ashfeld... -

Alette: "Our daughter's doing well, almost too well in fact. Her promotion did change her attitude from an outside view, but she is still the same nonetheless." Alette, Amber's mother says to her husband as they stand in between the trees of a forest.

Aureum: "That is a relief then. Still, we must make sure that she doesn't fall too far but considering her personality... It won't allow her to succumb." Aureum replies to her.

It has been some time since Alette went undercover near the border with the help of one of their commanders, Antonov Vorshylevski, though she still keeps it as secret between her and the Slavic. They both returned to their hideout somewhere inside Ashfeld and awaited for any developments regarding Apollyon's rule, as well as their own daughter's rise to power.

Alette: "You worry too much, dear. Like what you said, her own self cannot allow her to fall too far." She says to him as she takes one of his hands to her own.

Aureum: "Perhaps I am worrying too much. It has been a long time since we last saw her, and now is still not the time for us to reveal ourselves to the world again." He replies to her. "Speaking of time, I haven't heard from Arashicage since... I don't know. A month ago?"

Alette: "Neither did any of us. I assume that he has shifted his focus with Nevil's group." She says while she lets a butterfly land on her right hand. "That Samurai had went through a lot. I'm sure he can take care of himself." She continues as the butterfly flies away.

Aureum: "That I have no doubts. I'd prefer it if we have someone constantly watching Amber though." He says to Alette, but before she can say anything, he cuts her off. "I know, but I can't help it."

Alette: "Ugh, you never change. You were just like this ever since you and your father took me in." She tells him while rubbing her temple while Aureum just chuckles. "But I understand, and I agree. In fact, I think I have just the thing."

Aureum: "Oh?"

- Back to their camp... -

Remnant Captain: "The Knights of the Embers are indeed at Lorderius lands, as I have seen it. They have been there for some time now."

Alette: "Since when were they there, and for what reason?"

Vorshykevski: "We're not sure, but we assume just a day ago. Or two. The reason they are there, we do not know, but things seem peaceful between them."

Alette: "Then that makes things both easier and harder."

Aureum: "What do you mean?"

Alette: "The Knights of the Embers is what I was going to suggest to you, considering that one of them known as Alyssa Tigris is the representative of the Blackstones. She is one of dependable temperament, and could keep watch over Amber alongside the leader of the Embers, Janna Goldfire." She tells him.

Aureum: "What complicates things then?"

Alette: "They are far away from where we are for a start. Almost halfway across the entirety of Ashfeld from West to East. Another thing is that they don't have a permanent settlement, which means they are in constant movement." She says while she contemplates about on how they could contact the Embers without being discovered by Apollyon and her agents.

Vorshylevski: "Lady Peltaris, if I may interrupt?" The Slavic man in the tent says.

Alette: "Go ahead, my friend."

Vorshylevski: "They are indeed in a constant state of nomadic activities, but we saw patterns." He says while he goes around the map on the table and stops to encircle an area Southeast of Harrowgate and Northeast of Westhold with his hand. "The Embers have several camps and unfortified forts within this part of Ashfeld. We don't know the exact reason at the moment, but we are assuming again that they want to stay close to Harrowgate."
((A/n): To clear up any confusion, I see the map of all the faction's lands like this: Ashfeld taking the South and Southwest; Valkenheim taking the West and Northwest; and The Myre taking the North and Northeast.)

Remnant Captain: "Only problem is that we don't know when would either of the Embers' leaders would come to any of these locations, which further complicates things."

Aureum: "Then let us wish that luck come by us. Me and my wife will do it. Vorshylevski, when we leave, you will be in charge for the time of our absence."

Vorshylevski: "Understood, Lord Peltaris."

Aureum: "Now, are there any news regarding the Fourteenth Legion?"

Remnant Captain: "Our relations are improving as we speak. Legate Vita said that the trading between us and the Fourteenth Legion are benefiting them by a great deal and hopes that it's the same with us. The best part of it is that he said that he wishes more joint military operations between them and our forces in the future."

Aureum: "That is great news. We finally secured our first ally. One step closer to Apollyon's downfall." He says to everyone inside which earned him sounds of approval from each of them. "Is there anything else?"

Remnant Captain: "No, that would be all, milord."

Aureum: "Then we are dismissed."

They all salute with their fists to their chests and one by one, the Darkrose Remnant officers left the tent, except the couple. Once everyone else left, Alette then asks her husband a question that has been worrying her.

Alette: "Dear, what do you think of (Argen) (Lorderius)?" She asks.

Aureum: "To be frank, I don't know anymore. A year ago, I saw him as another corrupted Knight of the Blackstone Legion and thus, a threat. News of him deserting at the end of the campaign in Valkenheim... let's just say that he is a raw gemstone. So vibrant, yet so shrouded. I can never understand how the (Lorderiuses) think." He answers her as he walks to the entrance of the tent, letting the sun rays strike him.

Alette: "Well, I just want to remind you that the time will come that we will meet Seren (Lorderius) again. Even if her son is a Blackstone, she is willing to protect him no matter. If she turns against us, then we are certain to lose a capable warrior and leader for our cause."

Aureum: "I know, and I don't want that to happen. None of us do. Perhaps (Argen's) desertion may have something in store for all of us..."

Aureum: (Narrating) "At that point, I still wasn't aware of the goal that (Argen) set for himself and his father. I am in for plenty of surprises in the future."

- At the Lorderius household's sparring grounds... -

(A section of the sparring grounds where the events are taking place. Source: https://www.roleplaygateway.com/roleplay/general-medieval/places/the-training-grounds)

Seren blocks a strike from Alyssa and kicks away an Ember Conqueror who was going for a strike. She then disarms Alyssa and turns to shoulder bash the Conqueror who persisted, staggering him. Before Seren herself can attack, Janna comes out of nowhere attacks her first. Seren dodges the light attacks, then Janna goes in for a stab. Seren parries Janna's longsword breaks her guard and throws her towards the Ember Conqueror, taking them out of the fight.

Seeing that her allies are out, Alyssa circled with her longsword pointed at her opponent as the other does the same, both of them breathing heavily. Seren actively stared down Alyssa with her helmet and made it seem that she is a predator looking at a prey, and Alyssa unwittingly does the same, which struck her heart with fear and visibly lowered her guard. Seeing the opportunity, Seren suddenly surged forward and attacked, snapping Alyssa off her trance.

Everything was so sudden for Alyssa that she didn't even notice that she was in a trance, and she can only block the attacks, which she barely managed. She sees Seren going in for a heavy from the top, and braces herself with her weapon. However, Seren feinted the strike and instead pulls down her weapon and quickly struck her Alyssa's weapon upwards, breaking her guard and allowing Seren to push her off balance.

Alyssa was just about to get up again, until she saw the tip of Seren's longsword pointing at her neck.

A moment later, cheers from Seren's guardsmen can be heard around them, as Seren retreats her weapon and offers a hand to Alyssa.

Seren: "Looks like I win." Seren says to Alyssa, who gratefully accepts her hand.

Alyssa: "I must say that time hasn't affected you at all. You are just as graceful and deadly as you were long ago. Your title of 'Elder Warden' perfectly suits you." The light blue-haired Knight compliments.
((A/n): That's not the natural color of her hair, btw. She just dyed it :P)

Seren: "And your improvement is far more significant than I imagined. Keep on going as a Knight of Ashfeld, my dear. You too, Janna." She says to both of the Wardens. "And I must say, your men are certainly well-trained. They kept me moving on my feet and didn't allow me to recover properly." She says as she looks at the Ember Conqueror who bowed slightly and at the footmen who all took on her.

Janna: "If you were our mother... we would make you prouder." The blonde Warden says to Seren, which Alyssa hums in agreement.

Seren: "You two are considered as daughters of mine ever since we helped you to become Wardens. I am proud of you both." Seren says wholeheartedly as she removes her helmet, and they do the same.

It's true that Seren and her family treated Janna and Alyssa, two former commoners, as one of their own. That happened a long time ago, and none of them could help it. And none of them regretted that decision.

Without warning, Janna embraces Seren, catching her off-guard. Again.

Janna: "I'm so happy! Thank you so much!" She says to Seren as the latter happily returns it.

Alyssa: "Janna, that's the second time already. Stop doing doing that in front of so many others." The other Warden scolds.

Janna: "Naw, you're just jealous of me." Janna replies childishly, which Alyssa rolls her eyes at.

Seren: "Alyssa, dear, come join us." Seren offers to Alyssa.

Alyssa looks at Janna who is giving her a childish pout which she hates in a good way, though she relents and accepts the offer.

Seren: "Now that I have seen your skills and how they improved, how about a spar with my son next?" She says.

The two younger Wardens break the group hug to look towards Xavier, who stood there with his arms crossed in front of the crowd, wearing his Lawbringer armour except the helmet. They both sweatdropped. The sheer sight of the likely younger Knight in full plate armour is enough to give them their answer.

Alyssa: "No, thank you."

Janna: "Yeah, um... I think I'll pass."

Seren chuckles at their reactions, though she can't help but feel a little upset that she won't be able to see them fight again, and since she wanted to see her son fight.

Then again, she just defeated them both singlehandedly, and they are all more than likely exhausted.

Seren: "Hah, alright, alright. Maybe some other time. I do hope for you to stay here for a few days, perhaps."

Janna: "If you don't mind, then we would like to stay here for two more days. You know, catching up and such."

Seren: "I did offer that, didn't I? Of course I don't mind. There's plenty of everything for your men here. And I would like to know the these people from Valkenheim and the the Myre that you took in." Seren says happily to them.

They thank her as they make their way back to their men while Seren heads to where Xavier is at, with the crowd slowly dispersing.

Xavier: "You know, mother. I can't help but feel a little jealous of you and them." Her son inquires as she nears him, who laughs at her son's comment.

Seren: "Don't be, son. They are practically your sisters, older ones at that."

Xavier: "Hah. I know. I'm just glad that I had them as my blood sisters. I couldn't ask for better ones, even if they sometimes contradict each other."

Seren: "That is true, but that's what makes them interesting after all."

++++++++++++++++++++

Finally! After all the exams managed to finish this just after them. We're seeing more development of our characters here, and I hope you like our more recent characters! Speaking of which, which one of them do you like the most: a flirty Janna, a mean Alyssa, or a compassionate Seren? Hope you people enjoyed and have a great day/night!

Arcani out!

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

19.6K 783 30
What happens when your worst nightmare becomes a reality? What happens when fairy tales come true? And not just the good ones. Arielle has grown up h...
Ember Oleh AngelBlueEyes0

Manusia Serigala

114 0 13
The night sky fills with the burning embers and smoke. Faint screams and hatred fill the air as I watch as the heart of my suffering burn in beautifu...
90 0 39
~PARAGON CINEMATIC UNIVERSE: PHASE 2, BOOK 4~ *This novel serves as the 4th novel of Phase 2 and a sequel to "Nightclaw" and "The Paragons".* "You mu...
415 176 80
Bothvar Beorcolsson Through fire and ice I will fight to find honor. Whether it be giants or creatures of the night, I'll fight. Pain is my comfort...