Torchlight

Por ladyofglencairn

Lady Cassandra Greenwich and her best friend Lady Emilia Lockwood has everything young women in Victorian Eng... Más

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19 Epilogue

Chapter 7

11.1K 98 3
Por ladyofglencairn

Chapter 7

Almost an hour later, Elizabeth entered the parlour. She looked weary, like someone who had been through an emotional ringer.

Cassandra and Emilia stood up and waited. "He is resting. The blood is working. He needs rest and darkness right now."

Emilia clutched her midsection in relief and sunk back into the chair.

Elizabeth moved over to her. Kneeling at her side, she took her hands.

"Thank you for helping my brother. Without you, he would have died today."

Emilia just nodded. She didn't know what to say. In fact, she was entirely overwhelmed.

"I think its best we leave. You all need rest, as do we," said Cassandra sensibly.

"You have many questions," Mick stated.

Cassandra looked over at Emmanuel, and then back at Mick. "And they can wait. Till tonight at least. I think we all could use some rest, and much needed perspective."

"I'll have your carriage brought around." Emmanuel left the room.

Elizabeth nodded. "Please, come at dusk." Looking back at Emilia. "Thank you, again."

Emilia hugged Elizabeth instinctively before she and Cassandra walked out to the carriage. She helped Emilia in before turning to Emmanuel.

"Will he be alright?"

"He is strong and heals fast. He will be fine."

Cassandra had a million other questions milling and swirling around in her mind. Emmanuel took her hand, squeezed it gently and then lifted it to his lips. "Get some rest, Cassandra."

He said her name and her knees turned to jelly. She nodded and allowed him to help her into the carriage. "You too, Your Grace."

Cassandra and Emilia went home, bathed and went straight to bed. It was well past lunchtime when Emilia awoke. She lay for a minute and pondered everything that had happened the previous night, and the day before.

Vampires, they were vampires. He was a vampire.

Her maid entered, effectively ending her musings. "My Lady, I am so glad to see you are awake. Would you like me to bring up your lunch?"

"Thank you, Rose. But no. I will dress and take lunch over at Winterley Court. Would you have Charles send Cassie a note, so she knows to expect me?"

"Yes, my Lady. I laid out your clothing."

"Thank you."

Cassandra was reading the morning paper, in the afternoon, when Emilia walked in. The murder had been reported. Cause of death was similar to the previous murders. Are the Konstantin's involved in all of those as well? Cassie thought.

Hearing someone enter, she looked up from her musings. "Em! You're looking much better!"

"You mean, after my brush with death?" Emilia frowned. "Technically Lord Hale is already dead, so it was quite a literal brush."

Cassandra bit her lip. "It should strike me as unusual that our reaction to discovering that our recent acquaintances are vampires is rather... well... normal, but it does not."

"Cassie, what could shock us, honestly? Besides, my cousin Neville disgusts me more than the walking dead."

"True that. Neville is rather horrid." Cassandra shuddered.

"And to think, I could right now have been a day closer to becoming the Countess of Wheton."

Cassandra's eyes bulged. "What?!"

Emilia looked over at Cassandra casually. "Oh, did I forget to mention Cousin Neville proposed?"

Cassandra started to giggle, and when giggles were not enough, she started to shake with mirth and her eyes started to tear.

"Good God, Cassie, it isn't that funny!"

"I am sorry, but Neville is... well, he is like a pig, Em."

"A bulbous, stupid one at that! But all the blame cannot be his. He was raised by Aunt Dorothea. I almost feel sorry for him. Now no more of this talk! It is quite depressing. You know I am determined to be a spinster, aunt only to your wonderful offspring. How dare Neville think he was doing me a great honour?"

"So you are still determined never to marry?"

"Yes, of course. Why ever would I change my mind?"

"Oh, I do not know," said Cassandra demurely. "Perhaps it has something to do with the way you and Lord Hale were sparking last night?"

It was Emilia's turn to gawk. "Excuse me? I must confess that I have not the slightest idea as to what you are referring to."

Cassandra held up her hands in surrender. "Not another word from me then."

Emilia turned to her friend, cheeks red. "And you are a fine one to talk, Cassie. It seemed Lord Moire held more than a little of your attention."

Cassandra started to deny it, and then changed her mind. It wasn't in her nature to be coy anyway. "Oh, Em, he is beautiful, is he not?"

"Cassie!"

"Oh, I am not saying anything happened. In fact, nothing has. But I can look to like can I not?"

Emilia whipped out her fan and started fanning her cheeks. "He could be a murderer, you know. They could all be."

"You do not believe that?"

Emilia lowered her fan. "No. I do not know why I trust them, but I do."

Cassandra just smiled. "Shall we go in and have our late lunch, Em?"

"Delightful."

At dusk, Cassandra and Emilia were on their way to Konstantin House - again.

"Is this is only house in the neighbourhood we will be visiting with any regularity?"

"We are already the envy of the ton, I am sure, Em." Cassandra took a minute before saying. "And may I add that you are looking particularly lovely tonight."

Emilia looked at her friend, cheeks pinking. "As do you."

Both ladies failed to mention to the other that it had taken each of them twice as long as it usually did to dress for this meeting. Cassandra had chosen a gown of the lightest mint green. With her auburn tresses, and brown eyes, she looked like a beautiful meadow in the midst of summertime. Fresh and gay.

Emilia in contrast, wore yellow. A nice contradiction she thought, considering all but one of their acquaintances could not enjoy the sun.

This time when they arrived at Konstantin House the ladies were not shown to the parlour they were now familiar with. Instead, they were shown to a lounge of sorts, with large, comfortable leather chairs, set in a circle. In the centre, a low table sat, books scattered haphazardly. The room was decidedly masculine, and was reminiscent of a library and men's study combined.

There were flowers and scatter cushions to soften the effect, but overall, the room ran more to a man's taste, and therefore must be the private rooms of the Lord of the house. In the grate, a roaring fire raged, and made the room seem inviting and comfortable.

Emilia and Cassandra sat down just as Elizabeth and Mick entered.

"Cassandra, Emilia, welcome. I hope you do not mind too much, but I chose this room for our meeting. It's more comfortable than the parlour, and is usually used by my husband, Jasper and Emmanuel when there is business to be discussed."

"Not at all, Elizabeth," said Emilia. "And how is Lord Hale?" Emilia didn't know why, but she felt self conscious asking.  

"Quite well, my Lady."

Emilia swung around. From the opposite side of the room, another door had opened and Jasper was walking towards the party at the centre of the room. Looking at him, one could not tell he had been maimed so grievously just a few hours ago.

"My Lord. You look... its remarkable really."

Jasper grinned that special roguish smile Emilia had come to recognise. "Yes well, underneath all this clothes is another story entirely."

Emilia scowled, but couldn't hide the heat clawing into her face.

"Jasper! Do not tease so," chided Elizabeth.

He tried his best to look contrite, but instead looked only more amused at Emilia's discomfort. "My apologies, Lady Emilia. I sometimes... forget myself." He bowed mockingly.

Emmanuel had entered the room silently at this point. Although he hadn't made a sound, Cassandra could feel his presence. She turned in his direction. When their eyes met, her knees wobbled just a little, but she smiled, and then curtseyed. "Your Grace."

"Right, we are all here. Would everyone like to take a seat?" With the comfortable chairs arranged in a circle, Elizabeth sat next to her husband, with Jasper seated next to his sister. Emilia, with no other choice, unless she wanted to be rude, sat in the armchair next to Lord Hale. Cassandra sat next to her friend, with Lord Moire taking the final seat.

"Now ladies," started Mick. "If you would forgive my complete bluntness, who are you? And how did you come to be at the dockyard last night?"

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

1.6M 120K 44
"Why the fuck you let him touch you!!!"he growled while punching the wall behind me 'I am so scared right now what if he hit me like my father did to...
3.7M 292K 96
RANKED #1 CUTE #1 COMEDY-ROMANCE #2 YOUNG ADULT #2 BOLLYWOOD #2 LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT #3 PASSION #7 COMEDY-DRAMA #9 LOVE P.S - Do let me know if you...
4.6M 292K 106
What will happen when an innocent girl gets trapped in the clutches of a devil mafia? This is the story of Rishabh and Anokhi. Anokhi's life is as...
2M 112K 96
Daksh singh chauhan - the crowned prince and future king of Jodhpur is a multi billionaire and the CEO of Ratore group. He is highly honored and resp...