Torchlight

By ladyofglencairn

Lady Cassandra Greenwich and her best friend Lady Emilia Lockwood has everything young women in Victorian Eng... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19 Epilogue

Chapter 5

11.6K 104 10
By ladyofglencairn

Chapter 5

"Well, I would certainly not call this evening a complete waste," said Emilia.

Cassandra looked over at her friend. "Neither would I. If it had not been for the interruption, we might have more answers. As things stand, we now know Steerpike was an informant, and working with our three mysterious gentlemen."

"Mysterious indeed. What do you suppose could have been so important that we were ushered out so quickly? I will tell you this much, whatever it was, they were all in on it." Emilia looked thoughtful.

"Everything about them seemed ... strange. There was nothing out of place, perfect civility... I sensed no danger to our persons ... and yet... there was something odd about the lot of them."

"Like they were all in on a secret," Emilia concurred and then added offhandedly. "So what do you make of Lord Hale?" At Cassandra's sideways glance, she added hastily. "And Lord Moire, as well."

Smiling to herself at Emilia's evident embarrassment, Cassandra left her friend, for now. "Well, they are both such handsome men, are they not?" Almost unreasonably so, she added to herself. "But there is this cloud of secrecy and intrigue surrounding them. Perhaps we aught to get George to get some information about them? Maybe that would answer some questions. Gentlemen and Jonas Steerpike. Something is odd."

"Yes," Emilia agreed.

The rest of the journey to Emilia's house was completed in silence, each woman wrapped up in her own separate thoughts.

Upon their arrival, a servant rushed out. "Lady Emilia, a note for you, just arrived this past hour."

Emilia scanned the note as she alighted from the carriage and then passed it to Cassandra, speaking quickly, worry evident in her voice.

"It is from John. There will be no rest for us tonight, Cassie. We need to head to the docks. Another possible murder."

Cassandra nodded. "I will meet you back here in thirty minutes."

Across town an unmarked carriage was speeding toward the London dockyard. Inside, three gentlemen and a lady were having a serious discussion.

"There is more to those two women than what meets the eye. They know something they are not telling us," Emmanuel said to his attentive audience.

"You could hardly expect them to confess to perfect strangers," Elizabeth reminded him chidingly. "Besides, we were not very forthcoming either."

Grasping his wife's hand and kissing her fingers gently, Mick laughed. "Always defending your sex, my love. For all we know they could be up to their eyeballs in trouble."

"With a capital T," Jasper added mockingly.

Elizabeth squeezed her husband's fingers while turning her attention to her sibling. "Brother, since when have you shied away from trouble? Especially when presented in such pretty packages?"

Both Jasper and Emmanuel snorted, but not without Elizabeth noticing that neither of them objected to her statement.

Mick brought the conversation back to the relevant. "I agree with Emmanuel. And my wife," Mick added when Elizabeth turned her glare onto him. "They could be in danger if they poke around in the wrong holes. I think we need to find out who they are and what possible connections or interest they could have in these murders. Before one or both of them gets hurt."

"My men will see to it first thing in the morning." Count on Emmanuel to enjoy digging up dirt.

Jasper continued. "Thank heavens they know nothing of the information we received before their departure this evening. Another murder, so close on the heels of the last one? The culprit has developed a taste for blood. It would explain the frenzy. We need to find the killer before he or she exposes us all."

Emmanuel raised an eyebrow. "Us all?"

"Ah! My apologies, Castlereagh. I keep forgetting you're not one of us."

"I'll take that as a compliment. Means I'm just as pretty."

Jasper and Mick smiled. Elizabeth laughed and then sobered. "But Jasper's right. I am becoming decidedly uncomfortable. Who knows how long we have until someone realises what's responsible for these killings?"

"Emphasis on what," Mick agreed. A quick glance outside indicated they were nearing the docks. "Be careful, everyone. Let's look around, get whatever information we can. If we get separated, we meet back at Konstantin House... preferably before dawn."

He got nods of approval from his friend and brother-in-law.

Looking at his wife he added, "I know you're no delicate flower, my love, but humour me and stay close."

Elizabeth rolled her eyes, but agreed.

As silent as a whisper the party of four alighted from their carriage and disappeared into the night.

A few minutes later, another unmarked carriage drew silently to a halt. Cassandra and Emilia moved quickly. "We will get you at the rendezvous point, George."

"Be careful." He cautioned and moved off.

Emilia signalled to Cassandra and the duo moved quietly between the numerous small outbuildings, moving closer the heart of the dry-dock. It was silent about, not a sound.

The two came to halt. "Nothing. Not a sound," Emilia whispered.

Cassandra nodded, concerned. That wasn't good.

Suddenly the silence was broken by a loud crash. The ladies took off instantly, following the sound.

As Cassandra turned the corner, she crouched low. The commotion came from an open ship repair yard. There were no ships in for repair, and therefore the large area was desolate. The area was uncommonly well lit. Cassandra frowned. What is going on here?

Emilia was having similar thoughts, as they both moved cautiously closer to the centre of the yard. Something was definitely amiss. Stopping a few yards from the centre of the yard, they watched as a man came stumbling from the northern side of the yard and staggered to a halt, swayed slightly before crumbling to the ground. Footsteps were heard, and four cloaked figures appeared, and then converged on the man. He seemed to be bleeding profusely; the blood shimmered in the inky darkness where the light caught it.

They were talking rapidly, and Emilia and Cassandra strained to catch their words.

"Do it! You have to! Kill him!"

The group parted slightly and Emilia was able to see one of the party leaning low over the maimed victim. The man was twitching uncontrollably, guttural gargling sounds emerging from his throat, as the life drained out of him.

Emilia and Cassandra looked at each other, their thoughts running parallel to one another.

Emilia nodded. "I will take the two on the left."

They unfurled from their crouching positions and leapt into the open clearing. Surprise was on their side. The three-cloaked figures turned to determine where the sound was coming from. But that wasn't what had Emilia enthralled.

In the centre, the cloaked figure who had been hunched over the victim lifted his head. The hook slipped back and revealed the demonic face of an angel.

For a minute, Emilia was routed to the same spot. Before her, the man she had met, been alluringly attracted to earlier that evening, Lord Jasper Hale, was the person crouched over the victim, whose neck was now severed from his body. That, however, was not the most shocking thing.

His face, pale as ever, glinted in the moonlight. But his eyes, they were black pools of nothing. Dead and completely emotionless. His mouth, sneering and gaping, with what could only be described as protruding fangs, stared eerily back at her.

Emilia snapped back and looked at the rest of the group. Recognition was instant. "Oh my God," she whispered.

Cassandra made the same connections instantly. Her eyes sought out the gentleman she knew was among the party. As she suspected, those blue eyes sought and found hers as he pushed back his cloak.

Cassandra and Emilia didn't need any more words. They attacked.

"Bloody hell! Ladies, please-" Emilia didn't allow Jasper to get another word out. Taken by surprise, he didn't block the hit when it came. Emilia spun in a circle, and raised her right leg in a wide powerful arc, knocking Jasper back and away from the victim.

Grasping her pistol, she swirled and knocked the next person against the head with the butt. In surprise she saw it was Elizabeth. The other woman didn't even flinch.

"What are you?!" she shouted, alarmed.

Cassandra on the other hand had her hands full. Lord Moire was not taken by surprise. Swinging her arm, she aimed for his midsection. He blocked it and shouted. "Dammit, listen to me. We are not your enemies!"

"Tell that to the gentleman you and your friends just killed!"

Cassandra changed direction swiftly, and crouched low, and aimed a kick to his shin. Emmanuel jumped back nimbly and caught Cassandra's right hand, spinning her around, and reeling her in, pulling her back against his heaving chest. Putting his lips close to her ear, he whispered urgently, "Listen to me, woman! You have this all wrong! There is danger here! And every minute that passes, the killers escape!" He shook her when she tried to kick free. "Listen, God dammit or I swear you will regret it!"

"Like the dead man on the ground?" Cassandra struggled, but he had held her firmly.

On the other side of the yard, Mick had Emilia immobilised as well.

"What are you people?!" Emilia hissed and then thought better of her question. "Surely not human?!"

Jasper strolled up, but steered well clear of her, grimacing as he shook his head. "I could ask you the same thing, my Lady."

"Don't speak to me you... you... you fiend!"

Jasper chuckled. "I have been called many a thing, but fiend... I like."

"Emilia, Cassandra! Please! Listen to me. This is not the time or the place," Elizabeth begged. "Please. Trust me. We are not who you think."

"The bite marks in the neck. It all makes sense now." Cassandra looked at Jasper. "You... you..."

Elizabeth shook her head. "I promise you. It is not what it seems. Please-"

"Beth," Jasper said urgently. "They are coming."

Elizabeth looked to her husband and Emmanuel. "Let them go."

Instantly, they let the woman go. Cassandra grabbed for the blade at her waist, Emilia for her pistol. They both heard the sounds of footsteps rushing closer.

"Please, listen." Elizabeth begged.

"Oh, bugger that, Beth." Emmanuel said, with urgency and supreme irritation. "Now listen here you two, there is more going on here than your frail sensibilities can handle." Cassandra snorted but he ignored her. "Now, you can both stand here and argue with us, in which case we will have to harm you, should you get in our way, or you can leave and we can discuss this later."

"Too late for the leaving part." Jasper shouted as a man jumped him, and was immediately flung ten feet.

The rest of the party mobilised. Elizabeth swung her leg in a graceful sweep and the two men who had attacked her landed in a heap at her feet.

The friends didn't know what the hell was going on, but they had no choice but to trust the family of strangers.

Behind her, Jasper had four men crowd him. The two at his back wasn't paying attention and Emilia quickly took care of them. Each would have a mighty bump on the back of their heads when they eventually came too.

For a moment, Jasper and Emilia's eyes met. The dark bleakness had long left his. Instead, the Jasper she had met a few hours before stood a few feet from her. He winked at her roguishly before another wave of men approached. With Emilia at his back, they went to work.

Cassandra, pinned to the ground by a man, struggled to get to her dagger lying a few inches out of reach. All of a sudden, the man went limp on top of her. She didn't waste a second, springing out from under him.

He had a knife in his back. Emmanuel, who had thrown the blade with deadly precision, nodded in her direction. Cassandra acknowledged him with a brisk nod in return.

The combat continued. Jasper and Emilia fought to the north, Emmanuel and Cassandra to the west, Mick and Elizabeth to the east. Soon the group were separated. Before losing a visual, Mick shouted to his friends.

"Remember, before dawn!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.1M 170K 63
The story of Abeer Singh Rathore and Chandni Sharma continue.............. when Destiny bond two strangers in holy bond accidentally ❣️ Cover credit...
226M 6.9M 92
When billionaire bad boy Eros meets shy, nerdy Jade, he doesn't recognize her from his past. Will they be able to look past their secrets and fall in...
1.4M 35.1K 47
When young Diovanna is framed for something she didn't do and is sent off to a "boarding school" she feels abandoned and betrayed. But one thing was...
28.9M 916K 49
[BOOK ONE] [Completed] [Voted #1 Best Action Story in the 2019 Fiction Awards] Liam Luciano is one of the most feared men in all the world. At the yo...