Sickly, Sweet - Book One

By HannahPatrixia

~ Complete~ You can spend decades trying to find your purpose and identity and never find it. I didn't know w... More

Sickly, Sweet
Ch. 1 - Winter Dance
Ch. 2 - Lovebites
Ch. 3 - Double Agent
Ch. 4 - Dead End
Ch. 5 - Chained
Ch. 7 - Monsters
Ch. 8 - Impossible
Ch. 9 - Catch Me If You Can
Ch. 10 - Falling
Ch. 11 - Dances With Bats
Ch. 12 - Sea of Glass
Ch. 13 - Can You Feel My Heart?
Ch. 14 - A Deals A Deal
Ch. 15 - Temptations
Ch. 16 - The Upper Hand
Ch. 17 - Innocent Victims
Ch. 18 - Barely Human
Ch. 19 - Half-Alive
Ch. 20 - Written in Bone
Ch. 21 - Reborn
Ch. 22 - Heartless
Ch. 23 - Breathless
Ch. 24 - So Close But Still So Far
Ch. 25 - The Truth
Ch. 26 - Metamorphosis
Ch. 27 - Raise the Dead
Ch. 28 - Starving
Ch. 29 - Typical
Ch. 30 - Captive
Ch. 31 - Bound
Ch. 32 - Lust
Ch. 33 - Tick Tock
Ch. 34 - Never Leave
Ch. 35 - Power
Ch. 36 - Angels and Demons
Ch. 37 - Kitten
Ch. 38 - Fire
Ch. 39 - Life and Death
Ch. 40 - Secrets
Ch. 41 - Thick
Authors Note + Cover Sneak Peek ;)
Ch. 42 - The Faces of War
Ch. 43 - Dare
Ch. 44 - Hard To Believe
Ch. 45 - Revival
Ch. 46 - It's Not Over
Bittersweet - Teaser
RATH FANS(ANNOUNCEMENT)

Ch. 6 - A Drop Of Sun

50.4K 2.4K 323
By HannahPatrixia

Dedicated to @pettybrowngirl for being such a constant voter and commenter. Love ya, girlie. :)

Feel free to vote and comment! I love reading what you guys think.

***

May the stars blaze in your heart like an ever-burning flame.

***

All this nonsense is having me pace back and forth in my quarters, planning on how to kill Valentine. I want to disprove it - that he is impossible to kill. Others say they tried but never succeeded. Under the same roof, I had somewhat of an advantage.

Somehow, he has found a cure to the poison in my blood just like he has found a way to get me within the borders. I want to know how he is doing it and most of all, I want to know why he is so keen on me becoming a vampire.

My hair is filthy and my clothes dirt-ridden, so, I don't think twice before cleaning up. I washed all thoughts down the drain and swiftly walk to the wardrobe where dresses and shoes are waiting to be worn. I reckon the vampire realm still has not gotten past the Gothic ages or maybe Astor hasn't had a woman in his home for a while. I opt for a satin sleeping gown in the wardrobe and let my hair hang loose in curls.

I look outside, the velvet sky turned from a dark blue to a lighter shade as a sign that dawn would soon arrive.

My body feels worn and tired, but before I head to bed, I want to test a theory first. Vampires burn at the impact of rays and I yearn to know if the same will happen to me.

The thick curtains cover the windows with darkness but after a few moments, a glimmer of sunlight peeks through. Sunrise has arrived and it's a perfect time to test any of these insane claims the vampire has over me.

Without thinking twice, I sweep the fabric to the side until a considerable amount of light shines in the room. It's strange to see how bright everything can get during the day. Slowly, I let the rays caress my skin.

"Ah!" Obviously, it was a cruel mistake and I should not have done it. My skin began to boil and smoke climbs into my nostrils. I scream briefly but muffle it by biting on my lip. The heat stings and feels as if my skin would melt and I quickly cover the windows with the heavy material.

"Dammit," I curse and rush to the bathroom where I run my hand under cold water. The water didn't do anything to help heal my skin, it just alleviated the harsh and stinging pain. I look up and gasp at my own reflection. The mirror reflects a woman different from what I remember - her eyes are sullen and her skin pale.

Impossible. On top of what has happened my skin does not heal as it should.

Frustrated, I use my senses to scout for Valentine's room. Once I am able to smell his unforgettable musky smell, I kick the door open and ignore the fact that he is already asleep. "What have you done to me, Valentine?"

He bolts from his bed, shirtless and groggy from sleep. I fight back the urge to jump into the bed and join him because I know it's just because of the stupid bite on my neck. "Explain to me why you've woken me at this hour?"

"Explain this," I expose my injured hand.

Valentine runs his hand through his messy hair and looks up to me with a disappointed look, "You ask me what I've done when you are clearly aware of it." Valentine grabs my arm and examines the burn thoroughly, his touch giving me unnecessary tingles.

"Why the hell am I not healing?" I want to scream at him, but it will only make the situation worse.

"Newborns are weaker once bitten, your body is dying. The only way for this to heal is to drink blood," he sits up, exposing the rest of his toned and very muscled torso. My eyes trail shamelessly down his neck, chest, abdomen, admiring the way every inch of him is carved to perfection. "My blood."

"No," I retract. As much as that tempts me, I'd rather not. "I am not turning into a vampire it is literally impossible to do so."

"You can only say 'No' so many times, Saphira. If you don't drink you will die." Valentine says as he extends his fangs. I want to rip his teeth out and grind them down to dust.

"Goodnight, Valentine," I squeeze through my tight lips and head toward the door.

"Sweet dreams, Saphira," he smiles cryptically and lays back down.

Without another look, I make my way back to my room and as much as I wanted to sleep, I couldn't. The day passes by and so does my mind. If I am to stay here how would it benefit me? This feels like something Augustine would do. Only a ruthless vampire-like him would keep me in the dark like this and restrict me as a prisoner. Valentine promised that if I help him he would help me find more of my kind. I've been so lost all my life and want nothing more than to rekindle that buried part of me.

Valentine is a thousand-year-old vampire with quite a few stories to tell. I don't know much of him but can tell that he is just another power-hungry and a bloodthirsty vampire with different agendas.

A knock on the door startles my deep meditation. I open my eyes and spot Lydia standing in the doorway. "Sir Astor has asked me to inform you that dinner is in an hour."

"Oh," I mumble. "I'll be down by then, thank you, Lydia."

I push the comforter off of me and examine my arm. It looks better than it did a few hours before, but there is still evidence of a burn. I grimace and silently curse everything that is happening.

As I enter the dining room, both vampires stand at the sight of me. It isn't much of a surprise, I was built to lure, not to repel. Valentine's expression, though, was of shock and surprise, he looks to be overwhelmed.

I, on the other hand, keep my chin up high and sit down on a chair across from them. "You're not quite up to date with the century, are you, Astor?" I break the stiff silence. 

Astor sits down. "Apologies, darling, I have not had a female guest in decades, but you do look quite ravishing in that dress."

I smile. "Why, thank you, keep the compliments up and I may not have to kill you."

"In that case, you should know that you also look rather delicious." He smirks and drinks from his goblet.

My hands develop a thin film of sweat and heat crawls up my spine. It will be my goal not to be drained of blood again. They both look dashing and tasteful.

I glance over at Valentine and my smile grows wider. "What's wrong, Valentine, cat got your tongue?"

He clears his throat before he says, "I'm just a little curious, how was the little experiment this morning?"

I gulp and hide my anger behind my poker face.

"Splendid."

"That's not what I can recall."

I squeeze my fist tighter and dig my nails into my palm. "Believe what you will, Valentine, you are not turning me into a vampire."

"Just a drop," he flashes his fangs. "That's all."

I twist my face in disgust and focus on the meal that is placed before me. It smells divine and from the looks of the course, it's safe to eat.

Whoever said that vampires don't eat, they do occasionally, but not as often as humans. Blood still cannot compare.

I start biting on the meat. The first few bites, I devour with no deep hunger. I take another bite but drop it because of an insanely painful ache in my gums. I keep quiet but both vampires stare at me in wonder, knowing exactly why I am hurting.

"It appears that her fangs are kicking in, Valentine," Astor remarks. A surge of painful stabs against my skin hits me.

I direct my glare at Valentine and grimace again as another painful throb causes me to curl my hands on the edge of the table. I groan at the pain and squeeze my eyes to a close.

"Perfect, what do you think we should give her," Valentine comments. His face looking amused.

Astor shakes his head. "There is one thing you could give her."

"Venom to soothe her gums?"

I hiss, "Go to hell!"

"We already are in hell, love." Valentine grins and mocks me further by calling in the last course of dinner.

"Ah, just in time," he exclaims as a tray of goblets is brought in. The smell enters my nostrils and I moan with a desire for something I refuse to drink.

"You selfish brute," I croak.

Valentine chuckles and smells the liquid contained in the goblets. Astor seems uneasy as if he is never really around when Valentine tortures his victims. The aroma is a sweet nectar that fills the air and I gasp as the pain worsens. My fangs are begging to come out.

Astor, being a gentleman, scurries over to my side and leans down, "Come, dear, I have something in my office to ease the pain."

I sigh in relief and follow the kind vampire, leaving Valentine to sulk in his glory. My gums still hurt and so does everything else. I hate vampires and becoming one of them would ruin what reputation I still possess.

"He wasn't always like this you know."

"Like what, a monster?" I sit myself down on a velvet sofa situated against the wall.

"Yes, believe it or not." Astor hands me a glass of whiskey. I down it in one gulp and it does nothing to reduce the throbbing.

I almost drop the glass and cringe. "I thought you said this would help?"

He sits down in an armchair behind his large desk. "Venom, indeed, is the only remedy."

I frown. Maybe if I sleep it off it will get better.

"He's a good man," Astor utters. "Broken, yes, but good."

"He surely has a great way of showing it," I scoff sarcastically.

"We aren't perfect, darling."

I roll my eyes inwardly, and turn my body to him, expecting more. I am determined to know what makes Valentine bleed.

"To make a long story short, when Valentine was just a Prince, he met a girl, a human named Scarlett. His father was not pleased with the idea of him marrying her, so they eloped. Valentine thought it would be wise to take her to Augustine's manor, north of Numidia, for refuge, but Scarlett, having only one heart, attempted to split hers in two. Her love for the two Princes tore her apart and instead of choosing one, she chose her death."

I bite my lip and recite what he just said in my mind. It somehow makes sense but does not. How could they let a feeble human interfere with centuries of monarchy?

"But a human is only a few years, they ruled peacefully, as equals for hundreds of years."

"Yes," Astor nods. "But this is something you cannot read in books or scrolls."

I prop my self up with my elbows, "Wait, that's all, a human?"

Astor straightens his suit and ambles toward the door. "Yes. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some matters to attend to."

I acknowledge silently and he gives a slight smile before closing the door behind him. This was quite agonizing. Idleness is something I am not rather fond of.

My nose flares and a pang of hunger hits me. Keep it together, Saphira. I stumble gracefully into the hall and trudge to my quarters.

I relish in the delightful silence until the floorboard cries a sound, indicating that someone else is present.

"Haven't you had enough?" I say through clenched teeth.

"Not quite. You see until you turn I will make every waking moment a nightmare. Just like what your kind did with mine."

"My kind, whatever did my kind do to yours?" I was on the verge of rage.

Furious, Valentine's eyes turn black and he lunges and curls his cold hands around my neck. I struggle to breathe and attempt to pry his fingers off but his strong body pushes me against the wall.

"Your despicable race led to many deaths, particularly those of royal blood. Don't tempt me, Saphira, or I will rip your heart out."

"Go ahead," I challenge.

He stares menacingly into my eyes before placing his free hand over my heart.

"My pleasure."

***

Don't be a ghost reader!
Please vote and comment! :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 510 39
Highest rank #73 in fantasy #18 in voodoo #79 in Philosophy There are times when everything around fades and the voice of the past starts dominatin...
6.6K 629 69
Not every book has a hero And not every Fairytale has a prince I am a person just like you Not some force that cannot be hurt My heart can be broke...
20 0 2
when you realize that you are immortal and your crimes goes unpunished... you become unhinged and borderline insane
8.9K 103 29
What if you found out that the life you were living was a lie? That you were destined to be something much greater? What if the one person who holds...