POLAROID

By shay_fiction

Jun-Seo has never been quite adept at articulating his emotions through language, often struggling to find th... More

prologue
Chapter One - A New Canvas
Chapter Two - In Frame
Chapter Three - Perspective
Chapter Five - In Contrast With You
Chapter Six - Coloured Lenses

Chapter Four - Filtered

15.7K 754 161
By shay_fiction

Jun-Seo is currently seated at his cluttered desk, surrounded by a myriad of photos spread out in front of him, carefully scrutinising each image to decide which ones to use for his portfolio application to the Creative Programme. Turns out submitting the form was just the first step in getting into the programme, the process also involves presenting a selection of his best work to Mr Jung and two other programme advisors. No pressure or anything.

Naeun is walking past the room when she sees Jun-Seo slumped over on his desk, staring blankly at a photo. Concern, she walks into the room and gently taps the younger's shoulder, prompting him to look up with a slight start. "Hey, everything okay?" She asks.

Jun-Seo sighs softly before responding, "Uh, y-yeah, I'm just trying to figure out what to use for my p-portfolio," as he nervously fiddles with the corner of the photo.

"Well, these are all good, what's the problem?"

"I just- I don't know, something just doesn't feel r-r-right about them,"

"You shouldn't think about this too much, you're a great photographer, Jun, quit putting so much pressure on yourself. You're gonna get this, okay?" Naeun encourages him, gently ruffling his hair. Jun-Seo gives her a faint smile, still unsure but he appreciates her words.

"You shouldn't think about this too much, you're a great photographer, Jun," Naeun reassures him as she places a comforting hand on his shoulder. "Quit putting so much pressure on yourself, you're gonna get this, okay?"

Jun-Seo gives her a faint smile, the corners of his lips barely hinting at a sense of appreciation as uncertainty lingers in his eyes.

"I've gotta go, our study session is starting soon," Naeun says. "Need help setting up? I-I'm not getting much done here anyway, could use the d-d-distraction," Jun-Seo says, acknowledging that his current productivity level could use a boost.

Naeun nods then the pair head downstairs where Rin and Do-Yeon are already setting up for the afternoon.

"Mum, have you seen my flash card?" Rin asks as he rummages through his bag. "No, have you checked upstairs, maybe you left them on your desk," Do-Yeo responds.

"Uh, I kinda borrowed them last night," Naeun confesses sheepishly as she reaches into her bag to retrieve the cards. "Wha- you've got your own cards, what're you doing with mine?" Rin questions, snatching them back.

"I left mine in my locker and needed to review some things last night,"

"Ever heard of asking first?"

"Hey, it is not the time you two, your friends will be here soon so finish setting up," Do-Yeon affirms. The twins exchange mocking looks before going about their business. Do-Yeon can't help but let out a tired sigh, a mix of fondness and exasperation evident as she runs her fingers through her hair in a slightly frustrated motion.

"C-Can I help with anything?" Jun-Seo asks her. "Sure, just help me lay out these snacks neatly on the trays," Do-Yeon says. The younger nods and joins her at the island.

As they work together, Do-Yeon takes a moment to inquire, "So, how's your project going? Making good progress?"

"N-Not really," Jun-Seo sighs. "Well, I'm sure you'll figure it out," Do-Yeon reassures him with a warm smile. "And hey, I'm proud of you for giving this a chance. I know you've had a hard time adjusting to the move and school, so, thank you."

Jun-Seo smiles shyly in response as they carry on with the food preparation in comfortable silence.

The doorbell goes off and Naeun rushes over to check who it is. "They're here," she announces as she opens the door, greeting Chisa, Sieun, Do-Ha and Dong-Geun with a welcoming smile. "Hey, glad you guys could make it."

The group greet Jun-Seo and Do-Yeon as they walk into the house. They settle in the living room and start organising their study materials, rifling through their bags to retrieve books, notes, and pens.

"If this is everyone, let's get started," Rin says. "Uh, actually..." Do-Ha starts but before he can say anything the doorbell goes off again. Rin gets up to answer it this time and when he opens the door, his brow raises in surprise to see Ha-Jun standing there. "Oh..." he looks back at the others who look at Do-Ha.

"If this is everyone, let's get started," Rin says confidently, ready to begin the meeting. "Uh, actually..." Do-Ha's voice trails off as he attempts to intervene, but his words are abruptly cut short by the sudden chiming of the doorbell once again. Rin gets up to answer the door, a curious expression forming on his face as he turns the handle. To his surprise, Ha-Jun stands on the other side. "Oh..." he glances back at the group, who now direct questioning gazes towards Do-Ha, waiting for an explanation.

"Yeah, that," Do-Ha chuckles sheepishly.

Rin shifts his attention back to Ha-Jun, an awkward smile on his face as he greets him. "Hi, what're you doing here?" He asks. "Do-Ha hyung said you guys were meeting today. You got room for one more or is this an all-seniors club?" Ha-Jun asks.

"Uh, n-no come on in," Rin says, nervously shifting to the side to make way for Ha-Jun. Peering past him, Rin notices Naeun's confused expression and responds with a puzzled shrug, both feeling equally befuddled by the unexpected visit. Ha-Jun settles into a seat amidst the group, casting a glance towards Jun-Seo who's just as surprised to see the older there.

Dong-Geun subtly nudges Do-Ha, whispering in a hushed tone, "Why is Ha-Jun here?"

"Well..."

The other day...

Do-Ha is talking with his friend when Ha-Jun walks up to them. "Do-Ha-ssi, a word," he interjects, causing Do-Ha to respond nervously, "Uh, s-sure,"

Ha-Jun then turns his gaze towards the friend beside Do-Ha. Taking the hint from the brunette's deadpan stare, the friend promptly excuses himself from the situation.

Do-Ha gulps inaudibly, not out of fear towards the younger, but rather due to the subtle intimidation he perceives from Ha-Jun's laid-back demeanour. "S-So, what can I do for you, Ha-Jun-ah?"

"You go to Rin and Naeun's study group, right?" Ha-Jun starts.

"Uh, yeah, what about it?"

"Is it a closed session?"

"N-Not really, are you interested?"

Ha-Jun responds with a nonchalant shrug, "Maybe." With that, he swiftly turns on his heels and walks away leaving the perplexed Senior behind with more questions than answers.

Present...

"I didn't think he'd actually come," Do-Ha says.

The atmosphere in the room shifts slightly, the unease is palpable even as Ha-Jun appears unfazed. With nonchalance, he continues flipping through his textbook until he catches the curious gazes fixed upon him. A hint of confusion creeps into his expression as he inquires, "What?"

"Um, nothing, let's get started," Rin says.

Do-Yeon's pager goes off causing her to glance down at the screen with a furrowed brow. Reading the message, she lets out a sigh. "Damn, they need me down at the Hospital,"

"I thought you were meant to have the day off," Jun-Seo says. "Technically, but it seems work has other plans for me," Do-Yeon explains with a hint of resignation in her voice before making her way over to the group. "Sorry everyone, something's come up at work, so I'll need to step out for a while."

"Is everything okay?" Naeun asks. "Yeah, I shouldn't be too long but if anything happens call me," Do-Yeon says, grabbing her car keys and coat before heading out.

After Jun-Seo places the remaining snacks and beverages on the table, he politely excuses himself, however, just as he is about to head upstairs, Ha-Jun calls him back. "Jun-Seo," the younger turns to him. "I'm not really into sweet things, could you help me get a glass of water?"

Jun-Seo nods and makes his way back to the kitchen. Once there, he retrieves a cup from the cupboard and a cool bottle of water from the fridge. He pours a generous amount into the cup before making his way back to Ha-Jun. He offers the cup to the older who thanks him as he accepts it, their fingers brushing momentarily causing Jun-Seo to flinch and pull his hand back, an action that slightly surprises Ha-Jun. "Um, I- uh, b-bye," the younger stammers out before hurrying upstairs, his cheeks tinged with a delicate blush.

Ha-Jun stares after him, his brow furrowing slightly in confusion. That was...odd.

After another hour and a half of focused studying, the group decided to call it a day.

"Good work today guys," Rin praises them as they pack up. "Thanks, Oppa, don't forget the next one's at my place," Chisa brings up.

"Got it, see you guys," Rin says, waving goodbye as they leave.

Dong-Geun hangs back a second. "Uh, Rin hyung, are you free tomorrow?" He asks.

"I think so, why?"

"I know you're having a little trouble understanding that math equation so if you want we can meet up tomorrow and I can help you," Dong-Geun offers. "Uh, sure, that'd be a lot of help," Rin agrees.

"Great, how about we meet at that small cafe in Incheon, say, half 12? We can also do lunch,"

"Sounds good, see you then,"

After Dong-Geun says goodbye to him and Naeun, Rin's face lights up with an unmistakable joy, a gentle exhale escaping him as he turns around to see Naeun, who stands there with her arms folded and a playful grin on her face. "What?"

"You've got it bad," Naeun teases him, nudging Rin playfully. "Shut up," Rin retorts with a chuckle, his cheeks slightly flushed from her teasing. As they clean up the living room Rin comes across a stray phone left lying on the centre table. "I think someone left their phone here,"

"Oh, that's Ha-Jun's, he's using the bathroom," Naeun tells him. "Okay, but tell me I'm not the only one who found it weird that he was here," Rin brings up.

"Beyond, we've been going to the same school for years and he hasn't said two words to us but suddenly he's interested in studying with us?"

"Oh please, he was barely paying any attention, I don't even know why he came,"

Upstairs in Jun-Seo's room, the brunette is slumped back in his desk chair, arms folded as he stares hopelessly at the photos scattered around his desk. No matter how he looks at them, nothing seems to click.

Ha-Jun is walking back from the bathroom when he catches sight of the younger. With a gentle knock on the door, he manages to grab his attention. "Hey,"

Jun-Seo quickly straightens up in his chair, a hint of nervousness evident in his movements. "Um, h-hi," he replies. "Um, w-what're you doing up here?"

Ha-Jun gestures behind him. "Bathroom," he replies casually. Jun-Seo nods slowly, feeling somewhat uncomfortable as he fidgets in his seat, while the older remains standing nearby. "Did-Did you need something?" He hesitantly inquires, trying to break the awkward silence that has settled over them.

"No," Ha-Jun mutters, leaning casually against the door frame, his eyes idly wandering around the room. Observing this, Jun-Seo subtly purses his lips, inwardly noting that his hyung's ability to gauge the current awkward atmosphere he's creating needs a little bit of work.

Ha-Jun's eyes land on one of the photographs that had accidentally slipped off the desk and landed on the floor. Curious, he walks over and crouches down to pick it up. The image captures a breathtaking moment of the sun dipping behind the silhouette of two mountains, painting the sky in hues of gold and pink. "Did you take this?" He asks Jun-Seo who panics and tries to take the photo back, but Ha-Jun smoothly evades, maintaining his grasp on the picture for a closer look.

"It's good," Ha-Jun comments. "Hyung," Jun-Seo whines, attempting to snatch it back but the older continues to hold it out of reach. "C-Come on, this isn't f-f-funny."

A mischievous grin plays on Ha-Jun's face, his eyes sparkling with amusement, as he unexpectedly utters, "You're cute when you pout," Upon hearing these words, Jun-Seo experiences a sudden rush of butterflies in his stomach, accompanied by a warm blush spreading across his cheeks.

Ha-Jun's expression softens as he gently scoffs, handing the photo back to Jun-Seo. Jun-Seo's gaze shifts between the photo and Ha-Jun before taking it. Ha-Jun's focus then drifts to the array of other photos laid out on the desk and he skirts past the younger to take a better look. "Did you take all of these too?" He asks.

Jun-Seo, caught off guard by the unexpected question, gradually comes to his senses and manages to respond amidst his lingering daze, "Uh, I-I, yeah," he replies a little breathlessly. "Is this why you joined the Creative Programme?" Ha-Jun asks surprising the younger.

"Wha- h-how did you know?"

"Dae mentioned it,"

"Dae?"

"Dae-Seong, he's in the Programme too,"

"Oh, r-right," Jun-Seo mutters. Guess they're closer than he thought.

"So, what's all this for?" Ha-Jun asks. "Uh, it's- I'm working on a p-project," Jun-Seo responds hastily, his hands instinctively moving to pack the scattered photos away. "I-It's a lot harder than I th-thought."

"Maybe you just need to get some new ideas," Jun-Seo gives him a 'really?' look. Like he hasn't already thought of that. "I mean, forget all of these and go out and take some new photos, it could help with the block."

Jun-Seo contemplates the idea for a minute, his brows furrowed in deep thought. "That could work," he finally replies, a note of hesitation in his voice, "but, I-I don't know the city well."

"I'll take you around then," Ha-Jun offers. Jun-Seo's brow rises in surprise at the unexpected gesture. "W-Why would you do that?"

Ha-Jun shrugs. "Why not?"

Jun-Seo furrows his brow slightly in thought, contemplating the older's offer. While he appreciates the gesture, a subtle feeling of wariness creeps in, possibly fueled by his underlying social anxiety that often leaves him feeling uncertain in unfamiliar situations.

"Well?" Ha-Jun asks. "Uh...o-okay," Jun-Seo agrees hesitantly.

"Cool, I'll come by at 13:00, don't forget your camera," Ha-Jun then playfully pats his head before leaving the room. Jun-Seo can feel the heat returning to his face as he places his hand on the area Ha-Jun touched. What's wrong with him?

"Cool, I'll come by at 13:00, don't forget your camera," Ha-Jun says, lightly patting Jun-Seo's head before exiting the room. The gentle touch lingers, causing Jun-Seo to feel a rush of warmth spread across his cheeks as he absentmindedly places his hand on the spot where Ha-Jun's hand had been. Puzzled by his own reaction, the brunette can't help but wonder what it is about Ha-Jun that always seems to evoke such a strong response from him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

240K 13K 67
After getting himself abducted by human traffickers Jungkook thought he couldn't get in a much worse situation.He didn't expect to get auctioned to a...
41.7K 1.9K 38
[enemies to lovers au] top;kook bottom tae
520K 22.3K 47
"Hello?" I heard a deep voice on the other side as soon as I picked up. "How do you have my phone?? That's my number!" I yelled. "And that's mine you...
143K 4.2K 52
what do you mean? *completed* [©litbiebs]