Mirror Me

By Jules_Haigler

[Mirror Me Series Book 1] Hope Martinez was taught to fear her reflection, but the magical world on the othe... More

Author's Note
Map of Tartarus
1: Voices in the Closet
2: The Girl Who is Afraid of Mirrors
3: The Mysterious Case of the Mirror Breaker
4: The Mirror That Wouldn't Crack
5: A Fearful Chase
6: Purple Eyes and Hazel Eyes
7: Plains of Penia
8: The Mirrored Castle - DESIRE
9: WEAK Magic
10: A Dream of Mothers and Monsters
11: Shattered Glass Everywhere- SERGEANT BECKER
12: Knocking on the Door- MAGGIE
13: The Town of Arrant Eyes
14: The Sage and the Swordsman
15: Outlines in the Dirt
16: Grandmothers Know Everything- MAGGIE
17: Under the Lacquer Tree
18: Mirror Me
19: Gods in the Sky
20: The Rule of Kings
21: The Age of Mirrorbenders
22: The Court of Vices- DESIRE
23: Nancy Meyers has a Secret- MARCUS
24: The Flying Walnut
26: The Drawings in Laura's Room- MAGGIE
27: Whispers in the Night
28: With Mirror in Hand
29: If Flowers Could Talk
30: Mystery at the Police Station- MARCUS
31: Grunts and Squeals
32: Hidden Agenda
33: Self Reflection in the Desert
34: The Town in the Mists
35: Mirrors, Mirrors, On the Wall
36: The Tailor, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
37: Hope Talks to a Cat
38: Golden Plates and Silver Dresses
39: The Rose Festival
40: The Cat with Purple Fur
41: Door Knockers and Gargoyles
42: An Army of Empty Dresses
43: The True Face of Vanity
44: The Man in the White Tuxedo
Continue the adventure!
Glossary
Image Credits

25: Stories from the Doddledrum

1.5K 184 25
By Jules_Haigler

All evening I practiced sending the walnut soaring out of the mirror in Martha's lap. After a while, Daarith suggested we make a game out of it and soon we were holding the mirror up and pointing at each others' open mouths so that I could send small bits of food for us to catch and eat. Everyone laughed and had a good time. Even Owen and Daarith seemed to be getting along.

By the time the sun began to set, I had gotten pretty comfortable at scrying small objects. The miserable morning had led to a quite enjoyable evening. Daarith even shared a few of his stories from the time he was in the army.

These stories had everything from romance, to dastardly villains, to creatures I've never heard of before. If I had a pen and paper, I could finally write that book I had so longed to create.

The story about the Murdock family being a group of outlaws and cutthroats threatening civil war excited me the most. Mainly because Daarith described riding alongside centaurs swinging his fiery blade so named, Persephone's Fire, after the Murdocks had killed his wife, Persephone. I learned a lot about Daarith that evening. He had a troubled past, a falling out with the military, and a passion for music.

I found the most troubling part of his story was the time a town was attacked by ojos, invisible creatures that can only be seen through the corner of the eye. While the true form of an ojo is unknown, they are easily recognized by the moving black blur when you turn your head and a smell of burned paper. It is said that if you feel a tickling on the back of your neck, the ojo is breathing behind you and your death is certain. Surely, I hoped to never encounter such a beast.

"Oh my gosh! Those were amazing stories!" I cried like a fan at a rock concert. "So where are these centaurs?" I asked imagining the half man half horse beings I'd seen so many times in movies and books. "When are we going to meet them? How many are there? Are there other magical creatures?"

"Haha," chuckled Daarith. "I'm glad you enjoyed my tales."

"Tall tales," added Martha rolling her eyes. "Don't be filling that girl's head with too much nonsense."

"Well," said Daarith shrugging. "For the most part they are fairly true."

"It doesn't matter," I said bouncing up and down on my horse. "I still enjoyed them. But seriously, what other magical creatures are there in Tartarus?"

"There are many different kinds of creatures out there," said Daarith leaning back on his horse. "There are your rare beasts like unicorns, trolls, goblins, hobgoblins, sprites, giant snakes, and dragons. And then there are your weird ones such as squirrels with top hats who act as messengers, turtles with goat heads that enjoy poetry, and fish that walk out of the water sporting all manner of outlandish clothing from frilly lace to powdered wigs."

"You have to be joking. All that stuff sounds like something from a person with an overactive imagination."

"Exactly," interjected Martha. "Imagination is the key to that statement. You come from a place with strict rules and laws. The opposite is true for Tartarus. At times this world lacks the idea of rationality such as when rivers move uphill and rise up over cliff edges. Ancestors of yours who did not possess the ability to travel to Tartarus could view our world through their dreams. It is how your stories of mythical beasts seem to match our own."

"Oh wow!" I said. "I'm starting to see the connections." My mind was all a flutter with excitement. "I can't wait to see these creatures!"

"You won't so much in Juprus," said Daarith from his horse.

"Why not?" I asked.

"About fifteen years ago the Juprus king, King Caesar III, was overthrown by his younger brother, Cassius, after tensions arose amongst the people fearing the fulfillment of a prophecy. King Caesar, the Queen Pompeia, and his son Christanos, along with much of his court were slaughtered. The new king, King Cassius, did not like anyone different from himself and seeing as he could not control any non-humans, he sent a decree across the land for the eradication of mythical beasts. This became known as the Eradication Act. All magical creatures were to be subjugated to either death should they resist or a lifetime of servitude. Many magical beasts that had aided the nation in times past were hunted and killed. Even today the discrimination and bloodshed continues. Many magical beasts have thus gone into hiding or fled the nation entirely. That is why you won't see much here. The nations of Plutus and Neptus are far more welcoming. I for one," said Daarith, "quite enjoy the diversity. One reason why I left the military and the city life to live the rest of my days as a simple farmer."

"What about you, Martha?" asked Owen suddenly. "A sage usually possesses a familiar. Wouldn't that be something the nation of Juprus looks down upon when assigning sages for work?"

"It is considered. And for your information, Mr. DuBois," said Martha plainly. "I do not have a familiar. I am one of those special few who found my success as a sage based on skill alone."

"Martha is one of the best," said Daarith with a smile.

"I guess you two have known one another for a while?" I asked.

"Just for a couple years," answered Martha. "I met Daarith after I requested a change in township. Seems I made a good decision. Otherwise we would have never met Tartarus's newest mirrorbender."

The conversation carried on very casually as Martha explained her time as a young girl signing up to be in the sage program. She grew quickly even surpassing people older than her in both skill and power. Unable to gain a familiar showed no problem in Martha's training to blue level magic. By the age of fifteen she had become a master and given a seat in the sacred Council of Vetra. She was one of the youngest to ever receive the title of Master Sage. By the age of twenty, Martha started training other sages. People started calling her the Blue Butterfly for in battle she could summon thousands of butterflies to attack on her behalf. Like Daarith, she left the city and title behind to live a simpler life. No wonder she understood so much.

Before we knew it, the sun had set and we found ourselves at a fork in the road. Daarith held up his arm stopping the group from advancing. He pointed left while Martha pointed right. The two had a short heated discussion as to which route they thought would be best to reach the border.

Daarith wanted to take the pass at the base of the mountain, but Martha disagreed with him saying it would take them two extra days when they could save on time by going through the Loblolly Forest. Daarith though hesitant to travel such a weary road eventually agreed with Martha. She suggested the safer path would be met with the greatest resistance. The Half-Lives would surely be watching it and with no cover to protect them, the mountain pass would be perfect for ambush.

"Keep your guard up," said Daarith as we turned down the road to the forest. "The Loblolly Forest has its share of dangers but with a master sage and a master swordsman, we should be fine."

Upon entering the forest the road got harder to see. Daarith lit a torch. The green fire made for a haunting trek amongst the tall and illustrious trees. Dead pine needles crunched under the horse's hooves. We remained silent looking for the best place to rest for the night.

The trees swayed with each gust. I shivered in the stark wind unable to find warmth on top my horse. I stared up at the strange blanket of stars. The few constellations I recognized were backwards from those on Earth. "No joke, stupid," I thought to myself, "you keep forgetting you're in a mirrored world."

The night was full of sounds. At one point a fox leapt out in front of us. Upon closer inspection I noticed it was not a fox at all but more of a fox with feathers sticking out of its front legs and the rear end of a cat with two tails. It scurried away before I could ask any questions.

After about an hour from entering the forest, we fell upon a gentle clearing in the dense trees. Here we unsaddled the horses and began setting up shelter. Daarith was well adapted to life in the outdoors. He had four small tents made up before I could even get off the horse. Martha showing a deeper level of trust towards Owen asked him to fetch some wood to make a fire. Owen obliged and set off into the darkness. Soon he came back with two big bundles under his arms.

Martha showed me how to make a stew she called carrot and potato surprise. When I asked what the surprise was, Martha laughed. She told me the surprise was in a special blend of spices and magic. The only thing she needed to finish it was a pot of water to boil. I eager to help out took the pot and begged to be the one to fill it. Martha weary to let me go out into the darkness alone, requested I go with Owen, whom had seen a nearby pond from which we could use.

"Be careful you too," said Martha. "I'll have the rest of this ready when you get back. Stay close." She gave Owen a stern look. He shrugged and the two of us departed into the woods.

Owen held a handmade torch which he used to light the way as I paced beside him. Owen's magic was yellow so the fire he generated shown bright through the trees. He had been quiet through most of the trip. I thought now that we were alone I could ask him some personal questions.

"So," I said while dodging tree branches, "I'm glad you decided to travel with us."

"I didn't have much of a choice," said Owen with a smirk. "But I'm sure I would have come along regardless."

"You mean that?"

"Yeah, I do." Owen looked at me. "Besides being tied up, I have rather enjoyed the company. I mostly travel alone, so it's a nice change."

"You know I forgive you for what you did back in Bristondale. I know you were only trying to protect me."

"It's nothing," said Owen. "All in the past."

"No, it's something," I said turning a little pink. "You've tried to protect me this whole time. I know you covered me up with your clothes to keep me warm on that first night. I figured you couldn't be all bad."

"I just don't like seeing a girl suffer," said Owen turning away. "Especially one who shares the same life force as me. Honestly, it's kinda freaking me out."

"About that," I said. "All this stuff about us being each other's reflection, I have been wanting to ask you about it. Did you ever break your left arm?"

"Yeah, that was a couple years ago when I fell off a wall trying to steal some food. It hurt so bad."

"I know, cause I broke my left arm too when I fell off my bicycle."

"What is a bicycle?" asked Owen.

"Anyway, you get the point. We are connected. It's so strange. Almost like meeting a friend who knows everything about you, felt all the same pain."

"Yes, very strange."

Our conversation grew silent for a moment while we hiked down a steep hill. I had to grab onto a tree trunk to keep my balance.

"How far was this pool?" I asked as we came to the base of the hill.

"It's just up ahead." Owen pointed. "Look. You can see the stars reflecting in the water." I rushed forward. I could see the glittering waters through the trees. "Hey! Don't go too far without me!" cried Owen from behind.

When I reached the shore I stopped. Before me lay a gentle pool of fresh water. The calm surface reflected the night sky. Large boulders rested in the middle of the pond. Small fireflies danced over the stones. Their twinkling lights moved harmoniously in the breeze like synchronized dancers. They almost appeared to mimic the gentle rhythmic swaying of the pines. The place felt of untouched magic, a kind of nature that inspires poets. Owen rushed swiftly behind me. He stopped to catch his breath.

"Martha told us to stay close, not to go running off." Owen stretched his back. "I can see protecting you may be harder than I initially thought."

"I'm sorry," I said. "I just saw the water and got excited. It's so beautiful."

"Yeah," said Owen rolling his eyes. "Water can be so delightful."

"Whatever. I don't expect you to understand." I bent down to the water's edge, and dipped Martha's cooking pot into the water. "You think that's enough?" I lifted the now heavy pot with two hands for Owen to see.

"It's fine. Let's get back so we can eat. I'm starving."

"Okay," I said not wanting to leave the beautiful sight. I wished to stay there all night looking into the pond, but when my stomach rumbled with hunger I knew Owen had a point. He began turning back. As the torchlight moved away, my eyes were forced to once again adjust to the darkness. I took one last look at the water. That is when I saw something which made my skin crawl and the hair on my neck stand on end. Across the pond on the far shore, a dark shadow in the shape of a person stood still staring at me. I blinked, and the shadow was gone. Fearing what manner of dark things it may be, I quickly regrouped with Owen, not leaving his side until I saw the light of Martha's campfire.

"Oh good, you're back," said Martha bending over a small skinned animal. "Look what Daarith caught. He heard a sound and went to investigate. Came back with this little rabbit. It will be a fine addition to our stew. Did you get the water?"

"Yes, Martha, here it is." I handed Martha the pot. She looked in it and smiled.

"You have to love clear spring water. So pure. I prefer it over that nasty well water that cities use. Always full of bugs and toxins. Ugh. So much nastiness." Martha placed the pot over the fire and filled it with vegetables, spices, and rabbit. "A little magic on the fire and this will be cooked in no time." Martha fanned the flames with her hands. The fire turned quickly from red to blue.

"Martha," I said sitting down by the fire. "I remember you mentioning something about Shadows. What do they look like exactly?"

"You mean the servants of the Half-Lives?"

"Yes, those things." Martha made a disgusted face.

"Why would you want to know about such horrible things so late at night? It might give you nightmares."

"I want to know," I demanded. Daarith came and sat by the fire along with Owen. He pulled out his musical instrument and spoke.

"There is a song I know that may answer some of your questions, if you would let me," said Daarith calmly. "My mother would sing it to me."

"A song would be nice," I said folding my legs. I listened intently as Daarith began playing the melody. Like the tune he played that night in church, the music had magic in it, a heartbeat that rumbled under my feet. Suddenly the fire in front of him started to bend and twist turning into figures of people. Figures which jumped from their fiery home and began to dance by my legs. Martha leaned over and whispered into my intrigued ear.

"Daarith is a master at manipulating fire. He always puts on quite the show."

Removing the instrument from his mouth, Daarith handed it to the fire creatures. Without burning it, the creatures continued the melody as Daarith sang.

Sleep little child, no more time for pretend.

The sun settles soon and the shadows descend.

Tuck yourself in, make tired your eyes,

Or you may greet a deceitful surprise.

Filled up with sand these people of fright,

They strictly adhere to fear the bright light,

Keep a mirror close so you may spy,

To warn you of evil when evil slips by.

In darkness they wander, in light they pretend,

Beware when the night falls and Shadows descend.

I clapped my hands as the music finished. The little fire creatures bowed in pride before leaping back into the flames and disappearing into its depths. Daarith started to pocket his instrument until I reached out.

"May I see it?"

"Sure," Daarith handed me his instrument. I turned it over in my hands studying the small wooden device.

"What do you call it?" I asked.

"It is called a Doddledrum." I couldn't help but laugh.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to laugh. It's just a funny name. Caught me off guard."

"It is, yes," agreed Daarith. "So named by the man who created it. Oscar Doddledrum. Many musicians call it a Doddle for short. They think it is misleading to call it a drum when it is not."

"And those fire creatures," I added. "What are they called?"

"Oh just a little magic flare if you pardon the pun. I have always felt a connection to the element."

"And the Shadows are they really filled with sand like the song says?"

"Yep," said Daarith. "Killed a good many in my life to know. You see there are two ways to kill a Shadow. Either cut their heads off or burn them in the sunlight. Only bright sunlight tends to work effectively. Overcast days, eh, not so much. Don't ever let one get too close to you or they will suck all the blood from you in a matter of seconds."

"These Shadows sound awfully like vampires," I said. "We have stories about blood sucking creatures in my world who can't stand the sunlight and have no reflections."

"I hate repeating myself but again, where do you think the stories come from, hmm?" said Martha. She threw some extra seasoning into the pot. "Remember the history I told you. They were once people until the Half-Lives consumed their reflections. Shadows typically wander aimlessly across the land hunting for prey unless a Half-Life commands them otherwise."

"You think there are Shadows here? In this forest?" I asked recalling the creepy dark figure I saw at the pond.

"That is why we will each be taking turns with watch duty," said Daarith. "In case the Half-Lives sent some our way."

"Have you ever killed a Shadow?" I asked Owen.

"Yeah, plenty," he said. "One time a Shadow pretended to be one of my friends in disguise, but when the Shadow cast no reflection in the polished metal cup he was sipping from I quickly disposed of him."

"So they can take any disguise of any person?" I asked.

"Only of the ones they kill," said Martha. "Though most tend to stay in their original forms to avoid suspicion. It's why people carry mirrors around. To check. This precaution has cut down many of the attacks in urban areas. On their own, a Shadow is not much of a threat. The only time when they attack together is when they are being controlled by their Half-Life creator. This is when you have to worry." Martha could see that I had grown strangely worried. "Perhaps this is enough talk of such dark things tonight." She tapped the side of the stew pot with her wooden spoon. "Soup is ready."

We ate our meal. The delicious food temporarily diverted my mind from the dark figure by the pond. I felt that I should tell the group, but the more I thought about it the more I believed I had imagined it. Daarith once more began telling stories about his time fighting and the unique creatures he had met along the way. I soon began to yawn. With my belly full of rabbit, carrots, and potatoes, I finally felt the weight of tiredness drift into my eyes.

"Someone is sleepy," said Owen.

"I do believe it has grown late," said Martha, "and time for bed." Daarith stood up and stretched. He patted Owen on his back.

"Hey, sorry about trying to kill you the other day," said Daarith with a smile. Owen laughed.

"Alright," said Owen suspiciously. "What is the real reason why you are being suddenly so nice to me? Come on, fess up!"

"Just wondering if you can take first watch, that's all." Daarith yawned and shrugged his shoulders.

"Sure, big man," said Owen. "Whatever you say."

"Good. I'll relieve you later. Don't kill us now, you hear?" Daarith quickly walked to his tent, entered, and instantly fell asleep.

"Good night, you two," said Martha as she too walked to her tent. "I don't want to hear no trouble tonight. We got two more days until we reach the border."

"Night, Martha," I said rubbing my droopy eyes. I looked at Owen. "Mind if I stay here with you for a while?"

"You should really be getting to bed," he said poking the fire with a stick. The fire turned yellow.

"Martha said we are stronger together. If a Shadow comes, I want to be nearby."

"You are nearby in that tent over there." Owen pointed to the one between Martha and Daarith's tents.

"Well, I was hoping," I said tugging at my hair. "I was hoping to be with you. I don't know why but I feel safer around you than Daarith or Martha. Like I'm starting to like you a lot."

"If it is about what I said earlier on the plains. I do like you, Hope, but I don't think we can be any more than friends. I'm your reflection after all."

"No, it's not that," I cried feeling embarrassed and upset. "I just thought...maybe you could... oh never mind."

"I'll be right here, promise." Owen threw more sticks on the fire. "I'll keep you safe. It is my duty after all."

I sighed and stood up. I sucked at talking to cute boys. And to think I was beginning to have feelings for Owen.

"Alright." I removed the scrunchie out of my hair and let my hair fall over my shoulders. I leaned down and hugged him. "Good night then, Owen. I'll see you in the morning."

"Goodnight, Hope," said Owen. He did not turn his head or make any move to hug me back. His stoic nature continued to tend the fire. I looked down at my feet and sulked to my tent. Once inside I quickly fell asleep.

Owen still poking at the fire felt his cheeks grow warm. This warmth perplexed him. But it was not the flames that made them feel so. He was blushing.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.1K 299 5
Izuku has never known his father. How could he? His father disappeared before he turned 4 so he never formed any relation with the man. All he knows...
24.6K 2.7K 44
✨7x AWARDS WINNING + 8x FEATURED✨ ❝There is a dream, and there is a nightmare. Which one of yours will come true?❞ ✔ Science fantasy ✔ Adventure ✔ L...
33.9K 2.3K 34
In the Den of the Kingdom of Dreduor, money reigns supreme and one's skill at deception determines how much you can make, and how much longer you wil...
516K 28K 25
A romantic fantasy for anyone who ever dreamed of being a Disney Princess. Overly-emotional Misty has been cast as the voice of the Unnamed Princess...