Moonshadow (Book 1 of the Tor...

נכתב על ידי Fardariesmai97

Katerin was content with her quiet life of studying the arcane, and wanted for nothing in her life. She had f... עוד

My Thanks
Map
Chapter One: The Crystal Pendant
Chapter Two: The Lounging Dove, Pt 1
Chapter Two: The Lounging Dove, Pt 2
Chapter Three: Second in Command, Pt 1
Chapter Three: Second in Command, Pt 2
Chapter Four: Forest of the Lifeless Men
Chapter Five: Hilltop Defenders
Chapter Six: Ge'henna
Chapter Seven: Curiosity and Revelation, Pt 1
Chapter Seven: Curiosity and Revelation, Pt 2
Chapter Eight: Words to the Wind
Chapter Nine: Appointments are Necessary, Pt 1
Chapter Nine: Appointments Are Necessary, Pt 2
Chapter Ten: The Puppet
Chapter Eleven: We Are The Eyes of the Wood
Chapter Twelve: A Healthy Fear of the Dark
Chapter Thirteen: A Cup of Tea
Chapter Fourteen: The Secret of The Ruins, Pt 1
Chapter Fourteen: The Secret of the Ruins, Pt 2
Chapter Fifteen: Forgotten Pride
Chapter Sixteen: Ancient Memory
Chapter Seventeen: Exception to the Rule, Pt 1
Chapter Seventeen: Exception to the Rule, Pt 2
Chapter Eighteen: Shrine of the Bloodthirsty God, Pt 1
Chapter Eighteen: Shrine of the Bloodthirsty God, PT 2
Chapter Nineteen: The Captain of the Fort
Chapter Twenty: Pool of Tears
Chapter Twenty-One: The Depths, Pt 1
Chapter Twenty-One: The Depths, Pt 2
Chapter Twenty-Two: Val'esis
Chapter Twenty-Three: Starlight Celebration, Pt 2
Chapter Twenty-Four: Savior, PT 1
Chapter Twenty-Four: Savior, Pt 2
Chapter Twenty-Five: Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Chapter Twenty-Six: Juen'tal the Wildrun, Pt 1
Chapter Twenty-Six: Juen'tal the WIldrun, Pt 2
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Crimson Embrace
Chapter Twenty Eight: Crimson Convergence
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Revival
Chapter Thirty: Reclamation and Recompense
Chapter Thirty-One: Sweet Dreams
Chapter Thirty-Two: The Watcher
Chapter Thirty-Three: Relics of the Gods
Chapter Thirty-Four: To Save A Soul
Chapter Thirty-Five: Vigilance, PT 1
Chapter Thirty-Five: Vigilance, PT 2
Chapter Thirty-Six: Imprisoned
Chapter Thirty-Seven: The Doubt of Finality
Chapter Thirty-Eight: The Price of an Answer, Pt 1
Chapter Thirty-Eight: The Price of an Answer, Pt 2
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Contest
Epilogue:
To The Readers:

Chapter Twenty-Three: Starlight Celebration, Pt 1

176 33 40
נכתב על ידי Fardariesmai97

Katerin awoke late that night—her head resting on Fykes' shoulder as he snored quietly beside her—and she snorted. She really had been tired after the fighting. The last she remembered, she was sitting up talking with Arjiah and tending to her wounds.

The hair on her arms prickled suddenly. She scooted out from under the blanket, grunting with the effort her stiff muscles did not want to offer. She looked through the magical barrier that she had cast around their camp, to keep them from drawing any undue attention , and through its haze she saw a lone figure silhouetted in the moonlight, not far from their camp. She stilled while watching the form, fear tingling in her lower back. She knew it was impossible to see through the barrier from the outside, but she still felt as though the figure was looking right at her. The figure bowed deeply before it turned and walked away. Its large shadow reminded her of a bear standing on two legs before it disappeared in silence.

She sat awake for several minutes, watching the land outside the magical barrier until the feeling of being watched faded and she fell back into a much-needed rest.

The next day's travel was pleasant despite the fact they were all exhausted and still injured. The forest around them seemed almost calmer. More peaceful than it had felt the day before, and though their travel was slow, they encountered no trouble. Katerin had to lean heavily on her staff, and she kept one arm close to her side. She had refused to let Arjiah wrap it in place, on the grounds that she might need it. The healing magic helped immensely, of course, but what she truly needed was rest. She loathed the idea of being restricted if she had to fight again.

The forest song was contented and peaceful, and a light breeze followed them.

They had to search for a while to find Ky'lei'mei, despite their previous visit. It was difficult to find, hidden by the branches as it was. As they climbed the ropes late that evening, they were met with cheers and smiles, no longer getting strange looks and quiet stares.

Sa'leid and Ra'liel rushed to meet them as they were welcomed. It was impossible to enter Ky'lei'mei without being seen.

Ra'liel smiled broadly at them. "I see you have returned. I take it to mean your deal is complete?" When they nodded, she gestured further into the trees, "The Lady Avris will wish to speak with you, then."

They walked the swinging wooden bridges between the trees, injured and tired, but victorious.

Arnet paced in his study, the skeletal tips of his fingers brushing across a table as he passed it. Byron was later than usual, but he would return soon. He had been ever-busy these past days, working with the Reclaimer to energize and sustain it. They were getting closer with every passing hour. Arnet held the single lavender hair in his hand, rolling it back and forth. He had found quite the hidden gem.

The other celestial-blooded that walked this realm were almost always better at hiding their heritage. Though he supposed very few were smart enough to hide it around those they cared for. He walked around the circle in the floor with swaying movements. He was quite contented. Everything was moving smoothly, and though he had lost Val'esis, he could do without him.

Byron appeared in a crimson flash of energy and regarded Arnet with a stern look. "You're waiting for me," he said, stepping out of the circle, removing his cloak. He also flipped his amulet over in a swift motion. It was always the first thing he did upon returning to the Spire.

"I went to speak with Myr'frond and witnessed something quite exciting," Arnet said, holding up the piece of hair.

"And how was your pet?" Byron asked, taking a seat and pouring himself a drink.

"Dead," Arnet answered, sitting back in his chair.

Byron's eyebrows shot up. "Something killed him?"

Arnet shook his head. "Someone. A few someones." He frowned. "They also killed Val'esis and his mate."

Byron groaned. "That's unfortunate... we still needed them." He relaxed his fists. "Who?"

Arnet held out his hand, the single lavender hair resting on it.

Byron picked it up and focused on it for a moment, eyelashes fluttering. His eyes snapped open to see Arnet smiling.

"I told you I could find one," Arnet said, his sharp chin held high.

Byron stared at the hair between his fingers. "Gregorio?" His shoulders tensed, and his face turned to a scowl.

Arnet looked confused, frowning at the name. Gregorio. He remembered the name, but only vaguely, and he did not know where he had heard it before. One of Byron's musings, possibly. "He positively glowed..." He smiled, with a predatory look in his eyes, before clearing his throat. "Had two women with him, as well. Both were magically inclined. An amerlyian and a raven-haired half-breed." He frowned. "Also a construct of the Ihmu'tahd. One of their guardians, I believe."

"Think they are Ilixian?" Byron asked.

Arnet shook his head, pale hair shaking across his too-thin shoulders. "No. They bore no markings... and they had too much fear in them."

"Where are they?"

Arnet shrugged. "I don't know. I simply wanted to alert you of their existence."

"Let me know if you should happen across them again."

Arnet smiled. "Of course. You should know, as well. One of the women. Her magic matched the essence that was left in our library."

Byron's jaw clenched. "Then I would very much enjoy meeting her."

Avris' throne room was as spectacular as it had been on their first visit, as was the lady Avris. She was dressed once again in a sheer dress, this one the color of the forest after a rain. She smiled as they bowed respectfully, holding her hands together in front of her. "You have completed our deal?" she asked, her voice soft but serious.

"We have," Katerin replied. She opened her bag and Fykes reached in, pulling Val'esis' head from it. That was the nifty thing about a bag with nearly endless space—nothing got messy.

Fykes pulled the head free and laid it at her feet with a flourish and a bow, while Katerin retrieved Val'esis' weapon—the black, stained Trident he had previously wielded. She laid it under the head and stepped back, lacking the confidence Fykes had flourished.

Avris' guards eyed the head and the weapon suspiciously at first, then they smiled as she did.

Avris regarded the weapon. "I only asked that his head be brought back."

Katerin gave an awkward half-smile. "We... assumed it wouldn't hurt to bring any extra proof we could," she said. "My lady."

Avris thought for a moment, before gesturing to the head and the weapon. "Show the people. And prepare for a celebration. They have liberated Ky'lei'mei of its enemy."

The men smiled, quickly retrieving the head and exiting. As they did, Avris took a breath. "You held up your end of our deal, and it was no easy accomplishment," She looked over the wounds all of them bore. "So I must thank you for removing the threat and returning unharmed."

Fykes let out a small chuckle, rotating his shoulder with a wince. "Unharmed is a not entirely truthful way of putting it, my lady. He was strong."

Avris took her seat, sipping from a glass of water. "I know. That's why I sent you. We will hold a celebration tonight in your honor." She gave them a smile. "Would you mind telling me the details of the fight?"

As they explained the shrine and its lands, the dragon, and finally Val'esis, Avris listened with intensity.

When they were done, Avris stood once more. "You have kept all I have asked of you and more, Katerin. Rest assured, I will keep my word." She pulled a small ivory and silver comb from under her chair, and held it out. "This was your mother's. She lent it to me during one of our many talks. She would wish you to have it, I think." Her tones were soft, kind.

Katerin gingerly took the comb, rubbing a thumb across its surface. She looked up to meet Avris' eyes. "Thank you... I'll treasure it."

"Good," Avris' grinned, an almost unladylike thing to do—though it didn't look unbecoming on her. "Now go ahead with your many questions, curious one."

Fykes and Arjiah both were unable to hold back their laughter as Katerin took a deep breath.

"Why was she here?" she asked, ignoring her friends.

"Your mother came to us, seeking refuge from the wilds. She and her two companions stayed with us for some time, and are well loved by myself and my people. She was looking for a man." Avris paused, sipping her water. "His name is Arnet Voltspear. She didn't tell me much of the why. But I learned enough to know that this... man... is not one who holds anything decent in his heart."

Katerin listened carefully, her lips held in a tight line to keep from interrupting.

"She was looking for something else, as well. An artifact I am sworn to protect."

Katerin raised her eyebrows but forced herself to stay silent.

"It is an artifact that possesses a unique and one-of-a-kind ability. It allows one who uses it to... experience the entire life of a person of their choosing."

Katerin bit her lip, fighting the numerous questions that came to mind. Magic like that was fabled, and even then only supposed to be used in the hands of the gods.

"Your mother wished to use it to learn more of this man's whereabouts."

Katerin leaned forward. "Is it here? Where did she go after using it?"

Avris shook her head. "It is not here." She paused with a serious, thoughtful look on her face before she spoke again. "It is with more of our people—the brothers of the Mountain. I do not know her whereabouts since she left them."

Katerin's face was pensive, and she wore a thoughtful expression of her own. "If you should wish to follow her path, I will speak to them and provide you with an escort. Some of my own will be leaving for a visit to them soon, anyway."

"I would be honored," Katerin said quietly, not mentioning her dislike of the idea of yet more waiting.

"Of course." Avris held up a hand. "I would assume you wish to use the artifact if your mother cannot be found by other means, and if that is so, you will have my blessing in this." She released her breath, and gave Katerin a look that was deeply caring. "But know that it is... a taxing experience. And not usually a pleasant one. Be sure of yourself, and your intent."

Katerin took the words to heart. She would be, because she had to be. "How long for an escort?" she asked, a knot of worry in her stomach.

"If you can wait for a few days, I will make sure you have a guide and are welcome," Avris replied.

Katerin bowed her head. "I... can wait. She may show up in O'siaris or Anklestrap before then, in any case." She gave an awkward bow, "Thank you, Lady Avris."

"Now that it is settled, there will be a grand celebration. Please stay and enjoy it with us?"

Fykes stepped forward before Katerin would speak. "We would be honored, my lady."

Katerin watched as Avris' eyes sparkled with humor.

"See Do'vak. I'm sure he is eagerly awaiting your arrival."

As they left Avris' meeting chambers. Fykes walked carefully next to her, seeing the tears brimming her eyes.

"Everything okay?" He whispered, so no one would overhear.

She blinked the tears away, holding up the comb. It was simple and worn, glistening ivory and pearl. But it was something of her mother's. "I'm fine," Katerin told him, smiling. "It's just this.. I've never had much of hers."

"It's beautiful," he said, squeezing her shoulder as they approached Do'vak's house.

Do'vak was already waiting for them, standing out front of his home with mugs in hand. He saw them approach, gaze lingering on Arjiah before he noticed Fykes' arm, "Ah! Finally, they are here!" He waggled his eyebrows at the two. "Time for children now, yes?" He said, with too much sincerity in his tone.

"No," Katerin barked as Fykes laughed. "No children," she said. Glaring between the men.

Fykes' hair fell in front of his face as he laughed, "You should see your face," he told her, only succeeding in strengthening her glare and her blush.

Do'vak's smiled widened. "Ah. It's true. You are too skinny for babies... eat a lot at our feast tonight and you will be fine!" He led them into the tree, turning to glance at Katerin. "If you are worried, I have an excellent tea—"

She shook both her hands, "No. No tea. I really don't need it."

Do'vak's expression dropped just the slightest bit, his slender nose pinched. "Well, just ask if you change your mind, yes?"

Fykes was the one with tears in his eyes now, but only from how hard he was trying not to laugh.

Katerin took a deep breath, steadying her flustered nerves. "If it means that much to you, I'll ask should I ever need it."

Do'vak's smiled brightened to its usual intensity once again.

Katerin shook her head and scowled as he turned away.

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

436K 28.6K 39
Highest rating: #19 in fantasy! Edlyn has never fit in. With her unusual white hair and silver eyes, she sticks out from her village of brown. To mak...
1.5K 214 20
In a world where chaos rules, Kieran holds only one thing dear to him. His island. When a deadly phenomenon starts eating away his island, Kieran has...
1.9K 407 66
In book four of the Torrent Skies Saga, Kryrial is scouring the lands, tormenting not only the people of his kingdom but those outside of it. His rea...
2.2K 125 45
[Fantasy novel, completed ✓] In a world filled with magic, dragons, witches, demons, deadly creatures and other magical beings, the life of the king'...