Winds of Change

By CRGangell

{Book 8 of the Twists of Fate Series} Alanna and Tarval return to Sogol and eagerly await the birth of their... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18

Chapter 15

56.1K 992 445
By CRGangell

© CRGangell aka Whitesabretooth

AN: NOT EDITED.

Hi everyone,

Just a warning to everyone this chapter is unedited but I hope you enjoy it all the same. I know some of you will be complaining about the length but I had to stop it there because it was an obvious break.

Have fun

Chapter 15

Alanna sat with her sister Sage as she nursed her daughter later that day; Artair was on the floor in his cat form and play fighting with his Aunt’s foot.

“Why is he even in his Were form.” Sage asked as she continued to entertain her nephew, his mother was not in animal form he should not be.

Alanna shrugged, “he was sleeping and his cat took over, remember, Serenity and Temperance had the same issue as cubs.”

“Right… forgot about those two.” Sage said as she pulled her foot away. Draykus and Thais walked into the hall for an after dinner cup of tea before Thais escorted his mate to his room. Thais gave his sister a small smile, he knew how painful this was for her and having Draykus around just kept rubbing salt into her wounds, but he couldn’t; not be around his mate.

Draykus sat across from Thais his back to Sage and Alanna.

I am happy for him… I just wish I was where he was. Sage told Alanna silently.

Alanna nodded as she burped Raeka. Artair pounced on his aunt’s foot but because it didn’t react in a way that meant play to him he started to look for something else to play with.

Draykus chatted with his mate as his tail swayed back and forth as there was nothing for it to play with or explore. Artair noticed the almost rhythmic sway of the tail and slowly started to stalk it. Alanna went to open her mouth to warn Draykus but Sage shook her head a little impish grin on her face and since Alanna hadn’t seen the playful side of her sister since she ejected her mate, she held her tongue.

Artair kept close to the ground as he crept forward his head and eyes tracking the tail’s movement. Pausing he readied himself to pounce on his new toy, his bottom wiggled before he pounced. His timing was perfect as he pounced and sunk his small but sharp teeth into the tail and wrapped his body around it.

Draykus jumped to his feet, “AH!!!” he yelled and his tail started to shake vigorously to try to dislodge the little cub. “Get it off! Get it OFF!” he demanded and Sage started to laugh as Tarval quickly pried his son from Draykus’s tail. Artair hissed at his father before he made pawing motions at his toy which was being cradled by Draykus.

Thais was covering his mouth, trying to cover his laughter.

“That was NOT funny,” Draykus complained as he studied the little bite marks that were slightly bleeding.

“Oh come on… it was a little funny.” Thais disagreed.

“He bit me!”

“He is a cat, a cub, learning how his body works. Ma had to change the curtains in my sister’s room because they kept attacking them. She then had to tie the curtains up all over the manor and make sure that nothing dangled, she had to stop wearing flowing skirts.” Thais explained as he offered a hanky to Draykus to clean up the specks of blood.

“But they aren’t my tail!” Draykus explained.

Sage sighed as she stood and shifted into her cat and lay down as if to take a nap, her tail curled up at the tip then flopped back down again. It happened over and over again until her whole tail moved position. Tarval put his son down and Artair became fixated by Sage’s tail like he had with Draykus’s. Just as he went to pounce her tail it flicked out of the way and he missed it. With a playful growl he tried again but again the tail flicked out of his way.

“See how her tail moves just as he goes to attack. It is a cat’s way of amusing their cub and at the same time heightening their pouncing techniques and their depth perceptions to make them better hunters.” Thais explained. “He didn’t attack your tail to hurt you, but to play.”

“Yep, may as well get used to it. You have a tail, he will attack it; he can’t help himself.” Tarval finished as he scooped up the little boy and stuck a bottle into his mouth so that he could eat before going back to bed.

“Bed time!” Alanna called and Kael, Luca, Gwynt, Sasha and Ezra ran out of the library leaving their game where it was so they could finish it tomorrow. Alanna had explained that she didn’t mind if they left their game out if they made sure it was neat and tidy.

“Night,” Kael said as he kissed Alanna and his sister, turning to his brother he scratched his tummy before going to bed.

“Night,” the others called as they raced to their room to get ready to sleep.

Sage shifted as she got up, dressing herself as she went, “See you in the morning,” she said as she stretched.

“I thought you were going on another scouting mission to locate the out casts.” Alanna replied.

Sage grinned, “Found them today, I gave da a sketch of the camp, now he is figuring out the best way to take it out. But I also spotted a large male Rhue in the same area; we will hunt it so that the out casts can be lulled into a false sense of security.”

Alanna nodded, “just in case their scouts spotted you and yours.”

Sage nodded, “I scouted the camp while the others made a fuss of the Rhue. I was quick about it.”

“Alright… sleep deep.”

Sage nodded and left the room.

Alanna stood, “Can you get the lights,” she asked her brother who nodded.

“We’ll tidy up as well.” Thais promised. Alanna and Tarval nodded and went to their room. Thais grinned at his mate as Draykus sat again.

“I still don’t think it was funny,” he commented.

Thais sighed, “I sometimes think most dragons have no sense of humour then Thor cracks up laughing and I understand that it isn’t that you have no sense of humour, but no experience with humour. Dragons need to loosen up.”

Draykus held his tongue, he felt hurt that Thais could refer to another dragon like that.

Thais reached across the table and touched Draykus’s hand, “Thor has a mate and I am not interested in him that way. I only mentioned him because he is an example.” He frowned, “I wonder, Eclipse seems so laid back but was he always that way or was that the product of changing because his mate needed him to.”

Draykus frowned as well as he considered Thais for a moment, “My mother will know, she knew Eclipse before he found Kimberly.” He stood ready to go to his mother this instant.

“Draykus… surely your mother is sleeping.” Thais stated as he stood.

“No… she generally doesn’t go to sleep for a few more hours.” Draykus replied, “Let’s go ask her.”

Thais sighed and willed the table clean and things away, just before they left he willed the glowing crystals and lamps out. He followed the well-known path to the rooms Draykus’s mother and sister shared with him.

“Mother,” Draykus called out gently as he knew his sister was generally in bed by now.

“Sitting room,” Star-dancer replied.

Together Draykus and Thais joined her. Star-dancer put her book aside and turned to both men with a smile. “Thais welcome.”

“Star-dancer,” Thais replied before he sat.

“Thais had a question I believe you can answer.” Draykus stated and Star-dancer nodded.

“I will do my best,” she replied.

“Was Eclipse always the way he is today?” Draykus asked.

Star-dancer frowned as she flicked through her memories. “I don’t understand what you want to know.”

“Compare Eclipse before he met Kimberly and the Eclipse you spoke to today,” Thais explained.

Star-dancer glanced off as she flicked through her memories going back to the time before Eclipse met Kimberly. Back then Eclipse was quite a vicious dragon with a short temper like almost all male dragons that she knew. She then started to remember Eclipse after he met Kimberly, the changes had been gradual but they had also been visible.

“No… Eclipse changed after he met Kimberly.” Star-dancer finally answered. “Why did you want to know?” she asked glancing between the pair.

“Thais made a comment and now I know that we can change. We just have to choose to change.” Draykus explained and got a big smile from Thais.

Star-dancer considered her son for a moment before she lobbed a cushion at her son’s face. “You can be so dense sometimes.” She told her son with a grin before she turned grave eyes to Thais, “He gets it from his father.”

Thais cracked up laughing and Star-dancer joined him.

                ****

Thais woke slowly the next day, he remembered talking late into the night with both Draykus and Star-dancer but he couldn’t remember going to bed. He opened his eyes they focused on the smooth expanse of pale skin that was Draykus’s chest. Blinking for a moment he tried to remember how he got into bed with his mate. Draykus was still deeply asleep so he used his senses to find out the time. It was just before he would normally wake while on Sogol, just before dawn.

Carefully he got out of bed and was relieved to see that he still had his pants on, grabbing his shirt, belt and boots he walked out quietly and made his way to the main sitting room where Star-dancer just so happened to be seated drinking tea.

“I never thought you would be a sneaker,” she commented.

“I’m not sneaking out; I just don’t want to wake him.” Thais replied.

Star-dancer smiled, “you know… I’ve seen things… I thought you would get impatient with slow and force him.”

Thais pulled his shirt on and sat. “I can’t do that, he is my mate, the other half of my soul… it would not be fair on him to make him change and he would never been whole if I did.”

Star-dancer smiled, “I must admit I hope I find my true mate and he or she is like you.”

Thais focused on her for a few moments and grinned, “I actually know your true mate.”

Star-dancer was suddenly before him, cornering him in the chair. “Where is he?” She demanded to know.

“Wow, calm down, he is here in the keep.” Thais replied. “Let me finish getting dressed and have a few words then I’ll introduce you.”

“Why not just introduce me?” Star-dancer replied.

“I want to explain to him first, it can be a shock if you just go up and say hi Thais says we’re mates.”

Star-dancer considered him for a moment, “when said that way I get it.” She pulled away and watched as he pulled his stocking on and then his boots.

Draykus raced out of his room pulling on a shirt and paused when he saw Thais he relaxed. “I thought…”

“I didn’t want to wake you,” Thais clarified.

“Thais knows who my true mate is,” Star-dancer stated.

“Really,” Draykus said as he finished putting his shirt on.

“Yes and he is going to introduce me to him.” Star-dancer continued.

Draykus grinned at his mother pleased that she was going to finally be in a happy relationship.

“Can’t you all be quiet?” Celeste commanded as she walked from her room. “The sun isn’t even up yet!”

“You have been in the keep for weeks, did you not realise that this keep starts to move before the sun is up.” Star-dancer replied.

Celeste groaned and returned to her room, she was so not a morning dragon.

Thais finished lacing his boots, he was kind of glad that the Da’Vaila dress code of white shirts and tan breeches meant that his twins couldn’t tease him for wearing the same clothes he wore yesterday. Clapping his hands on his thighs he stood and Star-dancer jumped to her feet ready to follow him. Draykus finished getting dressed and went to follow his mate and mother from the room.

Thais walked them to the battle school.

“Please tell me he isn’t a student,” Star-dancer asked.

Thais stilled before walking into the school. “If he was… what would you do?” He asked as he turned to her.

“Wait…” Star-dancer replied, “I’m five thousand years old, a couple more decades won’t kill me.”

Thais grinned liking her answer, “like I would introduce you to a child,” he told her and continued into the school.

Draykus shrugged to his mother and followed Thais into the school, as of yet he hadn’t come here because he had no need to and only those who needed to be at the school should be there. Thais walked them to the agility course and watched as the students; both the adults and the children tackled the complicated course.

“Just a moment,” Thais told Star-dancer and he walked off to join one of the instructors who was calling out timings and harrying the students.

Thane turned to Thais and smiled, “Alanna is on the course,” he explained.

“I am not here for her, I am here for you.” Thais explained.

Thane frowned, “Okay how can I help you.”

“It’s not what you can do for me but what I can do for you. You know I have a power right?” Thais asked.

“You see everything,” Thane stated, he had heard that a few times and only recently started to understand what that meant.

“Yes, I also see the future,” Thais explained.

“You saw my future?” Thane asked.

“No… I saw Star-dancer’s future.” Thais glanced back and Thane followed his line of site and saw a gorgeous woman before he turned back to Thais.

“And,” Thane asked causing Thais to grin.

“You know when I usually do this people join the dots and know why I am doing this.” Thais explained just as Alanna joined them. “Star-dancer is your future… she is your soul mate.”

“Oh…not here for me then,” Alanna said with a grin.

“Sorry no, would you like to meet her?” Thais asked and Thane nodded.

“Go… I’ll take over.” Alanna encouraged and turned back to the course, “NATHAN KNEES UP!” she yelled.

“YES MASTER!” Nathan called out as he changed the way he was moving.

Thane followed Thais to Star-dancer and Draykus. “Star-dancer, Draykus, this is Thane second in charge of the battle school.”

Thane shook Draykus’s hand before he took Star-dancer’s hand, having seen a few Were do the action he turned her hand over and pressed his lips to her skin. “Pleasure to meet you,” Thane told her.

Star-dancer smiled at Thane, “Like wise.”

“Your mother… doesn’t act like other dragons,” Thais stated as he watched Thane and Star-dancer interact.

Draykus considered him for a moment, “mother always was different when father wasn’t around, since leaving him and other dragons more of her own personality has started to come forward.”

“Being different… was bad… I had to fit in with other dragons when we moved to Sogol, back on earth I lived near humans, had human friends and lived a pretty normal tribal life; I protected the people I lived with.” Star-dancer explained.

“But most dragons didn’t like interacting with humans, thought they were stupid.” Thais replied.

Star-dancer nodded, “Ah but I was found as an infant and raised in the tribe, I knew human life before I came to understand what it was to be a Dragon.”

“Why did you put up with father than,” Draykus asked.

Star-dancer sighed, “Magnum who Eclipse replaced, made the match. I had a choice yes, accept the pairing, or be banished. Since I was used to being around people banishment wasn’t an option.”

Thais thought for a moment, “Why did Eclipse replace Magnum?”

Star-dancer and Draykus looked at each other for a moment before turning to Thais. “Magnum wanted to organise a pair bond for himself, there are rules, he was intending to break them and use his position to stop people from objecting. Eclipse objected though, it was his exceedingly underage daughter Cosmic that Magnum had decided would bear his children, even though it was Magnum who openly called Eclipse and Kimberly’s children half breeds.” She explained.

“Magnum tried to use his position to silence Eclipse, but I think Magnum forgot that Eclipse has a millennia on him.” Draykus added, “When Magnum kept shutting down Eclipse, Eclipse turned around and demanded a trial by claw you would know it as a position fight or trial by combat.”

“Magnum denied his request.” Star-dancer added, “So Eclipse took it further, he went to the middle of the Wyre during the communal dinner and declared Magnum’s crimes and his refusal to submit to a trial by claw. The Wyre turned on him; he had no choice but to accept the trial by claw. After everything that Magnum had done to Eclipse, no one was surprised when Eclipse managed to fatally wound Magnum. At first Eclipse wanted nothing to do with the council of elders, he considered the whole process corrupt. Kimberly talked him into it, told him he could make changes from the inside and that is what he has been doing. The council is now elected by the Wyre as is the head of the council, anyone in the Wyre can call a new election if they believe a council member is abusing their power. Our Wyre has become the model for the others.”

“How long ago was this?” Thane asked finding it interesting.

“About five hundred years ago.” Star-dancer replied just before the bells tolled calling everyone in for breakfast. As groups the students trotted pass the group.

“Will you join us for breakfast?” Thane asked.

“Will there be enough?” Star-dancer asked as the started to walk to the eating hall.

“There are generally left overs, the cooks make extra because they are generally feeding growing boys or men, better to have too much than not enough.” Thane explained.

“What happens to the left overs?” Thais asked as he knew the keep didn’t like waste.

“Turned into meals for the guards,” Thane explained.

                **

Draykus watched his mother later that day, as his mother laughed at something Thane said. Thais appeared next to him and sat. “It’s against Thane’s code of chivalry to hurt or do harm by his mate. She is safe.”

“Thank you,” Draykus said as he turned to his mate.

“For what?” Thais asked even as Draykus’s tail wrapped around his leg but by now he was used to it.

“For making my mother truly happy.”

Thais grinned, “That’s what families do.”

Draykus nodded, “I’m just starting to get that now.”

“It’s not your fault; your species isn’t about big families and family ties. Mine is… and I want to share that with you and your mother and sister.”

Draykus sighed and leant down to rest his head on Thais’s shoulder, “I liked sharing a bed with you.”

Thais smiled, “I did to.”

“Perhaps we can do it again?”

Thais nodded, “I don’t see why not, but expect to be teased by my sisters.”

“Why?” Draykus asked.

“Because I did it to them when they first started being with their mates. Payback is fair.” Thais explained as he tugged Draykus’s tail free. “Let’s head in its too hot out here.” Thais stood and brushed dirt from his behind. Draykus stood and feeling spontaneous he grabbed Thais and kissed him. Thais wrapped his arms around his mate and kissed him back, he opened his mouth to stroke over Draykus’s lips with his tongue. Draykus went to pull away but Thais wouldn’t let him, he pulled his mate closer and managed to slide his tongue between Draykus’s and tasted the inside of his mouth.

Draykus relaxed and ran his tongue against Thais, groaning at the taste of his mate.

A throat was cleared loudly breaking their kiss. Celeste was standing near them a hand covering her eyes. “Let me know when they stop.”

Star-dancer chuckled as did Thane. Thais cupped Draykus’s face for a moment before stepping back.

“We’re heading in.” Thais said.

“So you can go suck face some more?” Celeste queried.

Draykus gave his sister a dirty look, “I can’t wait to tease you when you find your mate.”

Celeste shrugged, “at least I won’t leave my mate waiting for me to get my act together.”

“CELESTE!” Star-dancer exclaimed.

Thais glanced off for a moment as Draykus tried to come up with a good come back. Thais started to laugh and everyone gave him weird looks.

“Oh Celeste…” Thais said as he shook his head and walked away.

“What…” realisation dawned in Celeste’s face, “what did you see?” she demanded as she followed Thais. “Come on Thais… tell me…” she begged.

“Nope… I’ll tell my mate so that we can giggle over it until it happens.” Thais explained and Draykus grinned.

“Come on… that’s not fair…” Celeste turned to her mother, “Mother make him tell me!”

Star-dancer chuckled, “Thais is a grown man, I can’t tell him to do anything.”

Celeste huffed, blowing smoke before she turned and stomped off.

“Priceless,” Thais stated before he chuckled again.

“Are you really going to tell him?” Star-dancer asked.

“Fuck no… but she doesn’t have to know that,” Thais replied and Draykus chuckled. “Every time she annoys you, get a vacant look on your face then laugh.”

“Nice,” Draykus said as he draped an arm over Thais’s shoulders and together they walked into the keep followed by Thane and Star-dancer. The moment they were in keep they were in cooler air, they made their way to Alanna’s rooms as that was where they normally went in the afternoons. Thane reached forward and took Star-dancer’s hand to hold it as they walked.

Dominic, Alanna, Sage, Iron-arm and Iron-heart sat at the far end of the room away from the boys who were having a math lesson.

Thais walked his group over to join them, Alanna grinned at her brother. “Planning the attack on the outcast camp?” he asked.

“Yes, can you give us anything to build on what Sage saw?” Dominic asked.

Thais pulled the map closer his mind sorting through the future, “That isn’t the camp,” he said as he tapped the place his sister had marked on the map.

“Dummy camp!” Sage complained.

“A very smart tactic,” Alanna agreed.

“Where is the real camp?” Dominic asked.

Thais moved his finger and tapped a spot a little bit away from the fake camp. “There is a deep, hidden by a wall of vines; it has about a dozen antechambers leading off of it.”

“Can you draw a map?” Iron-arm asked and Thais nodded.

“Do you generally use your powers like this?” Star-dancer asked as Thais drew.

“No… generally I am only as helpful as is needed, however, I have seen what will happen if they don’t break this camp up, it is important that it is destroyed and the leader caught.” Thais explained. “By the way, don’t kill the leader, Horst will attack you if you do.” He added.

“Why will Horst attack us if we kill the leader?” Dominic asked.

“The leader is his older brother.” Thais stated.

“Nyl!” Dominic declared as he stood up in alarm.

“Yes,” Thais confirmed.

Sage had gone a little pale, “Thais, Nyl was known as Nyl Heart-eater. He would eat the hearts of his victims, sometimes while they were still beating. He was the Battle Master before he attempted to kill his father to take over the keep. His father managed to win against his elder son and banished him. He hasn’t been heard of since.”

“How long ago was this?” Alanna asked as she hadn’t heard about this.

“Seven years ago, Grael died three years ago in a hunting accident, Muza cow impaled him on her primary horn.” Iron-arm answered.

“Horst became lord and you know the rest.” Iron-heart finished.

“Nyl was trained from infancy to be lord; he was raised to be ruthless, trained to be vicious. The very fact he has been able to band together outcast Nephalim and Gephalim, allowing his numbers to grow to the point that they could cause real harm to a Keep, is mind boggling. A little longer and he would have had enough men to attack and take a Keep.” Sage explained.

“And being a direct descendant of a High Lord he has the blood claim to keep whatever Keep he manages to take over.” Dominic finished.

“Rayal’s?” Alanna surmised. “Until Shackle’s men joined him Rayal had the weakest keep. A few hundred outcasts would have been enough to decimate the loyal men of Rayal’s keep.”

“But he needed to keep the men he had and add to his numbers, and to do that he needed women to sate the men and keep them happy, which is why he tried to attack the keep, to get women.” Sage added, “He didn’t factor in Alanna, he assumed the keep would follow a predictable pattern, Alanna broke that pattern and he lost more men then he wanted, a lot more setting him back.”

“Then Rayal gained all those men and altered his nature, his keep is no longer Gephalim, it became off limits.” Iron-heart continued and was starting to see the far reaching events set in motion.

“Shackle probably knew Nyl and went to his men and made them an offer they wouldn’t refuse.” Dominic finished. “How many men does he have left?”

“A flight.” Thais replied.

“Five wings, fifty men,” Iron-arm murmured as his mind ticked. Fifty was a small number but they couldn’t let that number grow again.

“Why Grael didn’t just kill his son… it would have saved us all the hassle.” Dominic stated.

“Would you kill Sage if she had done something similar?” Star-dancer queried.

Dominic considered her for a moment before he considered his daughter, “I know my daughter, she would never try to kill me.”

“Hypothetically what if she did, could you bring yourself to kill your own flesh and blood?” Star-dancer asked again.

Dominic thought for long moments, “no… I don’t think I would have killed her if in that situation.”

“You could have tried; it wouldn’t have worked too well though.” Sage said trying to lighten the mood.

Dominic chuckled. “Okay Thais… how should we do this?” he asked.

“Simple… send in the Were,” Thais explained. “You have immortal Were in this keep, all of them highly trained at stealth attacks, go in at night when the guard is minimal, we’ll use the Rheu hunt but won’t attack the camp until a week after that.”

“You also have a couple of St Claire’s, their speed will be helpful.” Alanna added and Thais nodded.

Dominic considered Thais and his plan for a moment but it was a short lived moment, he had learnt years ago that Thais was never wrong. “Okay, what about Nyl?”

“We catch him and put him on trial for his crimes.” Thais stated.

“It is not a crime to attack a keep when you are an outcast Thais,” Sage explained.

“It is a crime to kidnap underage women is it not,” Thais replied.

Dominic grabbed Thais by his shirt and hauled him out of the chair he was in, “You want to wait a week until…”

“He hasn’t kidnapped them yet,” Thais cut in. “Do you really think I would sit back and let them get abused when I could do something to stop it. He kidnaps them hours before we attack the camp, they will be a little bruised and shocked but not harmed in the way you are thinking.” He explained. “Put me down Uncle before Draykus sets your wings on fire.”

Dominic glanced to the dragon and noticed that Draykus was moments away from spitting flames. Gently he put Thais down and righted his shirt. “Sorry Thais.”

“Hey you said it yourself you get your hot headedness from Michelle not Tarval.”

Dominic chuckled, “I know I shouldn’t have doubted you.”

Thais shrugged, “it isn’t your fault you’re not as informed as I am.” He turned to Draykus and hugged him to help him completely calm down. “Dominic meant nothing by it trust me.”

Draykus nodded, “still not happy that you are going off fighting.”

Thais grinned, “Draykus… I’m immortal… I can’t die.”

“Doesn’t mean I have to like you fighting.”

                ****

Draykus was walking back from the library after returning a book he had borrowed the next day. He spotted Sage and walked over to her and wondered why she was crouched down. Glancing back Sage gestured Draykus down and he knelt beside her.

“What are you doing?” Draykus asked.

“The less you know the better,” Sage said as she checked her winding fob watch, a gift from Wolfgang, it was one of the few mechanical devices that worked here. She had noticed Iron-arm and the other men had grown complacent recently. Grinning she lifted a balloon full of water and glanced over the balustrade. Draykus copied her and saw Iron-arm approaching. Sage held the balloon out, judging distance to the ground and time it would take Iron-arm to walk to the spot the balloon would strike she waited for the perfect time before she released the balloon and glanced over to watch it’s decent.

It landed directly on Iron-arm’s head and broke bathing him in water. Sage ducked behind the balustrade to hide. She didn’t see Iron-arm shake with fury.

“SAGE!”

Sage glanced to Draykus, “RUN!” she told him moments before she bolted, Draykus was hot on her heels. After several turns Sage skid to a halt before her father and Draykus only just managed to stop before he ploughed into her.

Dominic glared at his daughter before he took a deep breath. “Don’t want to know… just go.” He said as he pointed, he knew he was going to hear something, probably a complaint about whatever she did. On one hand he was kind of pleased she was getting out of her funk on the other hand… he was going to get complaints. Most of his men took Sage’s pranks in good humour; others didn’t and made his life a pain.

Sage grabbed Draykus’s shirt and willed them an obscure library.

“Why did you do that?” Draykus asked.

Sage shrugged as she checked the door, “Because I could…” she told him and when she glanced back she saw Draykus’s serious face, “Come on Draykus that was funny.”

Iron-arm barged into the room, he was still wet and he zeroed in on Sage.

“How did you…” Sage started to ask but paused when Iron-arm held up a balloon full of water. “You wouldn’t!” Sage declared as she knew he wouldn’t risk the books.

Iron-arm hesitated for a moment, “your right.” He grabbed her shirt and dragged her from the room before breaking the water balloon over her head.

Sage wiped the water from her face, “okay, we’re even.”

“Yes,” Iron-arm said as he released her.

“How did you find me?” Sage asked.

“I asked the first Ancient I saw.” Iron-arm answered, “First for the balloon full of water then to will me to you.”

“Vivian?” Sage asked as she knew her siblings wouldn’t turn on her.

“No… Mryddin,” Iron-arm replied. “Now… Draykus… do you think Eclipse can take a joke?”

Draykus nodded and Iron-arm grinned.

“Excellent!” Iron-arm exclaimed as he rubbed his hands together.

                *

Draykus went to walk into the sitting room in Alanna and Tarval’s rooms but paused as his eyes locked on Serenity who was holding Sage. He watched for several moments before he turned and went to look for his mate. There was purpose in his strides as he walked to a spot he knew Thais liked to go. Eclipse was chatting with Thais and not bothering to wait he butted in.

“Can you transport someone to a place you’ve never been before?” he asked not even glancing at Eclipse. Iron-arm, Sage and himself had gone on that afternoon several days earlier to drop a dozen water bombs on various people’s heads, Eclipse included; in fact after they got Eclipse he had joined them in their mischief.

“It depends, I need a focus, something to will to, I can’t go blind.” Thais explained.

“Could you will off of another’s memories?” Draykus asked.

“The memory would have to be exact, most minds can’t do that.” Thais answered.

“Pick through my mind,” Draykus demanded.

“What’s wrong?” Eclipse asked.

“I need to get to the Wyre now.” Draykus replied.

“Why?” Thais asked.

“To talk to that stupid arse who just so happens to be Sage’s mate!” Draykus declared.

“You can’t force him to into Sage’s arms Draykus; he has to want to be there.” Eclipse told him.

“I’m not going to force him to do anything; I am going to show him something then return.” Draykus explained.

“What do you want to show him?” Eclipse asked.

Draykus hesitated for a moment, “Sage in pain. She pretends in front of the keep but you and I know she is dying inside.”

Thais nodded and sighed, “Open your mind for me.”

“I have an easier way,” Eclipse slid in.

“Flying will take too long.” Draykus replied.

“Yes… but that isn’t what I meant. You can focus on an object and will to it can you not?” Eclipse asked.

“Yes, again I would have to know the object.” Thais replied.

“It is a pair, one is here, Kimberly never travels without it.” Eclipse explained as he stood.

“That might work.” Thais replied and followed Eclipse to his rooms.

Eclipse went to his room and returned with a figurine which he sat on the table. It was a very simple piece of Blood Stone carved into the figure of a woman. Thais picked it up to study it, “What does the other statue look like?” Thais asked.

“Almost exactly the same only made with Merlinite.” Eclipse explained.

Thais could picture the two carvings side by side. “Nice contrast,” he stated as he put the statue down. “Grab a hold.” He told Draykus and just as Draykus grabbed Thais Eclipse did. Two moments later they appeared before the other statue although Thais couldn’t see it.

“Just a moment,” Eclipse stated before he lit a candle and gestured so that all the other candles lit themselves. “Okay you go find Fire Stone and I’ll show Thais around the Wyre.”

“Keep him safe for me,” Draykus asked and Eclipse nodded. Draykus gripped Thais’s shoulder for a moment before leaving the room.

“So… let me show you around the Wyre,” Eclipse said as he led Thais from his home and into a large extinct volcano that the dragons had made their home in. Thais paused as a large dragon head appeared before him. “Greetings Tien-Lung,” Eclipse said to the beautifully coloured oriental dragon.

Tien-Lung growled whistled and clicked, asking in the dragon’s language why Eclipse was back.

“Just a visit, Draykus is trying to beat some understanding into that idiot Fire Stone.” Eclipse explained.

Before Thais’s eyes the dragon transformed, you would think since it was an oriental dragon and didn’t have wings that when it transforms it wouldn’t have wings, wrong… just like other dragons he had beautifully coloured bat like wings. The man had a slight Asian look to him and a long facial hair.

“Stupid fool, Fire Stone knows how rare it is for us to find our true mates and he goes and basically rejects her.” Tien-Lung stated, his voice was soft but still managed to exude power.

“The whole Wyre knows?” Eclipse asked as he thought Fire Stone would have kept quiet about this.

“His mother was telling everyone that her son found his true mate. When he returned without her she knew that her son had stuffed up and told the Wyre.” Tien-Lung explained.

“Are you with your true mate?” Thais asked.

Tien-Lung studied him for a moment, “You are Draykus’s true mate… Thais, son of Wolfgang and Amy, brother of Alanna Brave-heart.” He surmised, “Sadly I have yet to meet the ying to my yang but I am hopeful that despite the blunders at the celebrations your parents will help us go back to earth to search.”

“You never know, you could be like Star-dancer and find her mate on Sogol.” Eclipse replied.

Tien-Lung grinned, “Draykus, Fire Stone and Star-dancer…”

“And Thor,” Thais corrected.

Eclipse jerked to Thais, “Thor… I didn’t know he found his mate.”

Thais nodded, “he just hasn’t figured it out yet.”

Eclipse grinned, “Sky,” he guessed and Thais nodded.

“Perhaps when you return I can join you?” Tien-Lung asked.

“Dominic is relaxed about dragons coming to his keep as long as you don’t cause trouble and treat everyone with respect.” Eclipse replied.

“Excellent,” Tien-Lung stated. “I have some matters to clear up first; however I believe I should help you escort Thais.”

Eclipse sighed, “Is there something I should know?”

“Macien, although he was removed from the Wyre after the other Wyres learnt what he had done wouldn’t let him join them. he has been vocal about purity of our race…”

“I have scientific proof which says we have to have other genes, other species in our makeup in order to breed.” Eclipse slid in getting angry at Macien at the same time.

“Where did you get it from?” Tien-lung asked.

“Ancients ran tests on every dragon they could get a sample from.”

“Ah… well Macien is also calling for separation from all things non-dragon and to not believe a thing told to us by another race.” Tien-Lung replied.

“Is he here?” Eclipse asked, small trails of smoke left his mouth and nose.

“Yes.”

“Take me to him.” Eclipse ordered.

                **

Draykus stormed into the rooms of Fire Stone’s family he didn’t even glance at Fire Stone’s mother he just went straight to Fire Stone’s room. He slammed the door closed behind him, his eyes looking for Fire Stone and found him on his bed staring at the ceiling.

“You are an arse hole you know that right. You get handed what most dragons would give their flames for and you throw it away because you can’t get it through your head that she is nothing like you and will never be like you.”

Fire Stone stood and got up in Draykus’s face. “SHE INGORED ME!”

“AFTER GETTING SHUT DOWN BY YOU OVER AND OVER AGAIN!” Draykus yelled back.

“SHE KICKED ME OUT!” Fire Stone yelled and threw a punch which Draykus caught.

“You left her with no choice… your leaving her family with only one choice.” Draykus told him.

“What are you talking about?” Fire Stone asked.

“She is a true immortal… you are a false one. They will take you out to protect her.” Draykus explained.

“No they won’t.” Fire Stone replied.

“You know nothing about her family,” Draykus stated, “You are hurting one of them, they will protect Sage even if it means hurting her to remove you from her life. She will get over your death and look to the future when you will return to her reborn to a dragon family that will probably be a mixed species couple. She will forgive her family for doing it, for killing you, because she knows they did it to protect her from a mate who could care less about her.” He threw away Fire Stone’s fist. “Your window is closing fast, make up your mind, join her life and change or do my family a favour and take yourself out.”

“Are you here to kill me?” Fire Stone asked.

“No… not yet… but I will to protect Sage from you. She is slowly losing everything that makes her who she is. She pretends to be like she was but there is no joy in her eyes. She may not be able to die physically but emotionally…” He explained. “Figure out what you want… do it quickly…” Draykus turned and left the room.

“Draykus…” Shadow Claw greeted, “beating some sense into my idiot son.”

“Attempting,” Draykus replied.

A man ran in, “Eclipse just challenged Macien to trail by claw.”

“I thought my father was removed from the Wyre.”

Shadow Claw stood, “he was but no other Wyre will accept him, not with his crimes.”

Together they followed the man who was proclaiming the fight to come until eventually he led them back to the fight with a crowd following. Draykus and Shadow Claw made their way to Thais.

“Are you okay? Did he hurt you?” Draykus asked as he ran his eyes over his mate.

“I am fine; Eclipse didn’t do this because Macien hurt me. He did this because Macien has been running his mouth.” Thais explained.

“I can confirm that if you like,” Tien-Lung added.

“Hi I’m Thais,” Thais greeted Shadow Claw.

“Shadow Claw, sadly I have to admit to being the mother of Fire Stone.” She explained.

“Ah… how did your chat go?” Thais asked.

“We will see. If he does nothing by two rest days I will take him out myself.” Draykus replied.

Thais frowned, “You would kill a fellow dragon?”

Draykus nodded, “to protect Sage and my family… yes.”

Thais turned to Shadow Claw, “And what do you think about that?”

“It will sadden me if he dies, but I understand more than he does. While he moped in his room I read those books she gave him. She is dying inside because he is too proud to admit he and us as a race need to change.”

Thais nodded and noticed that all the dragons around him had been listening intently. He quickly made several boxes of each of the books he knew Sage had given to Fire Stone appear for these dragons to read. They didn’t even attempt to be suitable they just opened the boxes and started to hand out the books.

“By our law you fight by claw and tooth until one submits or dies.” A relatively small dragon said before the dragons formed a ring around Eclipse and Macien.

Eclipse transformed into his dragon form just as Macien did. Macien attacked sending a ball of flame at the much larger dragon.

“FOWL!” All the assembled dragons yelled.

Draykus moved Thais so that he was slightly behind him so that he could shield his mate from stray flames.

Shadow Claw noticed Thais’s confusion. “Trial by claw means no magic, no flames.” Thais nodded and watched as Eclipse lunged forward and managed to get a hold of one of Macien’s wings. Moving far faster than Thais thought was possible Eclipse managed to turn Macien on his side and almost tore Macien’s wing from his shoulder when he shook his head viciously.

“Generally we would be shouting fowl at Eclipse, we don’t attack wings.” Tien-Lung explained.

“But Macien broke the rules first.” Thais stated and got nods.

Macien turned and spat a thick jelly at Eclipse, Eclipse roared as he released Macien and tried scrape the acid jelly from his face before it got in his eyes. Macien went to use Eclipse’s inattention to his advantage and jumped landing on the much larger dragon’s back.

“What was that?” Thais asked.

“Acid jelly,” Tien-Lung replied with disgust.

Eclipse however was an old dragon and had guessed Macien would do this. In a fast move Eclipse flung his head back and came to a quick stop, some of the acid jelly went flying and landed in Macien’s face.

People moved as Eclipse finally got the jelly off his face and wrestled Macien to the ground and a bite and jerk later Macien was dead, his long graceful neck broken by Eclipse’s move.

“Someone get water!” a dragon ordered as Draykus and Thais ran to Eclipse who was taking back his human form.

Thais made a bucket of water appear in his hands and flung it at Eclipse’s face getting the rest of the acid off of him. Eclipse spluttered for a moment before he wiped his face and glanced around. His eyes landed on Thais, “thanks for that.”

“Don’t mention it.” Thais replied.

“Are you okay?” Several dragons asked.

“Fine, none got in my eyes and Thais managed to wash it all off.” Eclipse replied before he turned to Draykus. “Forgive me for killing your father, I had no choice.”

Draykus watched Macien for a few minutes, “He was never a true father, not like you are to your children or Wolfgang is to his. I will not morn his demise.”

Eclipse nodded and turned to the other dragons, “Macien is finished and I have much to tell you before I return to Phoenix keep.”

“Such as?” A female dragon asked.

“We need other species in our ancestry, we can’t breed without it. We were never meant to be pure.” Eclipse explained. “The Ancients have no reason to lie to anyone, they performed the tests, the reason Kimberly and I produce children so well is because she is human. We’ve been breeding out the other races in our building blocks, and doing so we are limiting our numbers.”

“And we are meant to trust Ancients?” A male dragon demanded.

“What do they have to gain by lying to us?” Eclipse reasoned. “Ancients may be shrouded in mystery in our texts but I have had a chance to get to really know a few of them. They talk in riddles and sometimes they don’t answer questions directly but they never lie.” He turned to Thais. “Go on, ask him something.”

“He is Were,” a new dragon said.

“Actually I’m complicated, my da is a Were wolf, my ma is part Ancient. I am part Ancient just like my mother.” Thais explained.

“What are Ancients?” Shadow Claw asked as she was curious as to what he would say.

“Long answer or short?” Thais replied.

“Both,” she answered.

“Long answer it is then, Ancients are chosen by the Goddess Fate, these people are gifted with true immortality and powers that can alter the very fabric of reality. They are Fate’s Chosen, tasked by her to implement change, to change the course of time, if Fate wants something done she pushes us to do so, even if it means watching those we come to care about die and do nothing to stop it. We go forward, backward and across in time keeping the time line on the right path, sometimes we are wrenched from one place to another without any warning.”

“That’s the long answer?” Shadow Claw asked as it didn’t sound like a long answer to her.

“The short answer is we’re complicated or we’re Ancient and then we just shrug.” Thais replied. “Now ask something you can’t find out in a book.”

“That’s in a book?” Eclipse asked.

Thais nodded, “book of non-human beings.” He made the book appear and handed it to Eclipse.

“Is what Eclipse said true?” A male dragon asked.

“I haven’t read the evidence to formulate an opinion. I can go read it and come back but it might take a while.” Thais offered.

“Do we frighten you?”

“No… I do not fear you.” Thais answered honestly.

“Does anything make you afraid?” Eclipse asked.

Thais nodded, “you’ve meet my mother right?”

Eclipse nodded, “a delightful woman.”

Thais nodded, “who just so happens to be the most dangerous being on earth. I’ve seen what she is capable of doing. I don’t want to be the focus of that.”

“In the future?” Draykus asked.

Thais nodded, “and the past.”

“You’re afraid of your mother?” a younger male dragon scoffed.

Thais made a black dome appear in his hand and held it out; he played the stand for them and saw many dragons go pale. “She wasn’t fully grown back then, she has another three feet on that and training in that form.” He explained.

“I can see why you might be afraid of her.” The young male dragon finally said.

“Yeah… and she is my mother… she once said that she brought me into this world, she can take me out of it and considering ma managed to alter her very nature I don’t want to test that statement.” Thais answered.

Draykus chuckled.

“It’s not a laughing matter, my mother is dangerous.” Thais defended.

“Why did Draykus ask in the future?” Shadow Claw asked.

“Because my Were ability is seeing the future. I knew Sky needed to come here, now I know why she needed to be here because she is Thor’s mate. I introduced Sky-dancer to her mate and I’ve been seeing Draykus and I meeting since I was an infant, it would always stop just before I told him my name.”

Draykus laughed, “You mean right before Nhor steps on your foot.”

“Yeah… just then.” Thais agreed a little uncomfortably, his foot was healed but it was doubtful that he would forget how it felt to have Nhor step on it.

****

A day later Draykus walked into one of the back rooms after following voices. Sky was perched on a stool over Titan, a device in her hand. She was slowly tattooing a line onto Titan’s chest, joining the many more lines that we already there.

“Does it hurt?” Thor asked Titan.

“Yes, but Raya likes tattoos, or at least she loved the design Sky drew on my chest and arm.” Titan replied.

Sky put the device down and opened her vest, to show off her own work. Both men did their best not to look at her, “Guys I am wearing a breast brand, Nhor did all this.” Sky glanced over to Draykus who was the only person not looking away. “Of course the gay guy looks… you two are pansy’s.”

Thor was the first to look at the work on display but Titan finally looked.

“Trust me when we get to the ribs, they hurt the most.” She told both men before she went back to work. Nhor was near, watching, evaluating her technique but it was pretty flawless. She could go before the master artists and they would give her her mark in an instant at this rate.

“Could you tattoo a dragon?” Thor asked.

Sky finished the section she was working on, “okay break, be back in twenty minutes don’t scratch.” She told him and Titan got up from the chair. Sky turned her attention to Thor, “take your shirt off.” She told him.

Thor gave her a look of confusion.

“Nhor and I see the hidden patterns your skin wants displayed. I need to see your skin first to see if anything wants to come out.” Sky explained.

Thor stood and removed his shirt, Sky came to stand before him and slowly her eyes roamed over his chest and stomach before slowly walking around his body.

Nhor stood back, letting Sky look, she made it back to his front and turned his arms over and frowned as she saw a faint tattoo on his left forearm. “Hey Nhor… check this out.”

Nhor walked forward and saw what Sky had, he knew why Sky’s markings were on Thor, it was rare but some Centaur artists could see their mark on their mate.

“Took you long enough,” Thais said as he leant on the door jam.

Sky studied Thais for a moment before she realised what was going on, turning she looked at Thor with new eyes. She had thought he was handsome in an other-worldly way but now that she knew he was hers she could let her crush bloom.

“Huh?” Thor asked glancing around at everyone.

“Thor…” Sky said gaining his attention. She stepped closer to him and placed a hand on his abs, they weren’t as defined as Thais or even Titan but to her eyes she loved the leaner look. Thor tensed a little at her touch. “About time I saw the mark on your arm that proclaims you to be my mate.”

“And you to be his… remember there is a dragon in your own work.” Nhor reminded.

Thor stilled for a moment before he broke out in a wide grin. “Excellent, my parents will be pleased when they learn I finally have a mate.”

“They already know, I told them.” Thais explained.

Thor sighed but turned his complete attention to Sky, “I was silently hoping you were my mate but you never seemed interested.”

“I had a crush but I knew you were waiting for your mate.” Sky replied.

Thor leant down and rested his forehead against Sky’s, “Why didn’t you tell me.”

Sky shrugged as Thor slowly gathered her in his arms and held her against his chest. Draykus grinned at the pair as Sky brushed her lips against Thor’s chest. Thor felt desire course through him and he exhaled a billow of smoke causing Sky to back away and cough.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to.” Thor stated as he went to help Sky but she waved him away and went to the window to get fresh air.

“Her body is still adjusting to her Centuarian DNA, as a human she had asthma as a Centaur she doesn’t but like I said, her body is still adjusting.” Nhor explained.

“It’s okay I just breathed in more smoke than I thought.” Sky explained.

“You aren’t used to your new lungs, you should have a much greater lung capacity and when you start training you’ll find you’ll almost out run a werewolf in an endurance race.”

“Cool.” Sky replied.

“I’ll try not to do that again,” Thor stated, he made sure not to promise as he knew he couldn’t do that.

“You breathe flames, you have nothing to apologise for.” Sky told him as Titan walked back in.

“I am ready,” he told them before he hopped back onto the chair.

“Sky is my mate!” Thor stated wanting everyone to know.

Titan gave him a smug look, “I figured that out weeks ago.”

Sky turned to Thais and glared, “seriously… are we the last to know?”

Thais pulled a face before nodding, “after everything you’ve been through, I thought it best to let you grow your own bond and not have one forced upon you.”

Thor wrapped an arm around Sky. “He has a point Sky,” he told her gently.

“Okay,” she shrugged out from under Thor’s arm and went back to her stool to add more to the quickly growing work on Titan’s chest. Thor pulled his shirt back on and sat to watch his mate practise her art. Draykus followed Thais out of the room and into his room.

“Want to watch a movie with me?” Thais asked as he kicked off his shoes and crawled onto his bed.

“Sure what are we watching,” Draykus took off his shoes and crawled onto the bed.

“I don’t know,” Thais said as he made a screen appear and his dome. “Action, comedy, drama, sci-fi, horror or Family?” He asked.

“What is your favourite movie?” Draykus asked as he made himself comfortable.

“I don’t have one… I get my love for movies from Sage and Alanna, they had interesting tastes.” Thais thought for a moment, “The first movie I remember really liking was Meet the Robinsons… it so reminded me of my own family.”

“Let’s watch that then.” Draykus stated.

Thais settled the dome and moved closer to his mate before making drinks and a big bowl of popcorn appear. “Can’t watch a movie without popcorn.”

                *

“Hey has anyone seen Thais?” Rayven asked as she finished setting the table. Alanna had wanted a quiet night in so they had gotten food from the kitchens and were going to eat together.

“I saw him and Draykus heading to his room.” Eclipse offered.

“Roshambo,” Rayven asked Temperance as she held up a closed fist.

Temperance held up her own fist together they counted as they lifted and lowered their fists to the count of three. Both looked at the other’s hand. “Looser,” Temperance told Rayven who groaned and stomped off to Thais’s room.

She hesitated at the door for a moment before she knocked, getting no response she opened the door with closed eyes just to protect herself, slowly she opened one eye to see Thais and Draykus curled up on the bed together and thankfully for her fully clothed. She closed the door and went back to the main room. “They are fully clothed but asleep.”

Temperance groaned, she couldn’t even tease her brother.

Crystal sat on Serenity’s knee, “I wonder how much longer Thais’s wolf will wait.”

“Thais’s wolf knows how important it is not to rush Draykus. If you hadn’t jumped me I would have waited until you were ready.” Serenity explained.

“You didn’t even know,” Crystal stated.

“I still will have waited until you were ready.” Serenity replied before she moved her mate off her knee and onto the bench beside her. Jewel, Destiny and Sky walked into the room with large pots of food and baskets of bread. The last few people settled and the food was passed around. The chatting was playful and when Artair was passed to Crystal she confidently handled him instead of freaking out. Tomorrow they would be heading out to take out the outcast camp so they weren’t going to be up late tonight and sleep later than they normally would. They would move into position by early afternoon, waiting until the fall of darkness before striking out. If possible they were going to see if they could take out a few rounds of guard shifts before attacking the deep.

“Sorry!” Susan said as she walked in with Gabrielle and Mryddin as they were late for dinner.

Gabrielle glanced around for a moment before grinning, she was afraid for a moment that Thais would blurt out something before she had a chance. “Everyone…” Gabrielle said loudly to get everyone’s attention. “Mryddin and I have news…”

Temperance went to open her mouth but Bastion covered her mouth and gave her a glare.

“We’re pregnant!” Mryddin finished excited.

“One month along,” Susan added.

People stood to congratulate the new parents.

Alanna grinned when she got to Gabrielle, “Oh you are so in for a world of pain when Michelle finds out.” She laughed and Gabrielle went a little pale.

“I feel a little nauseous.” Gabrielle replied before racing to the nearest bathroom. Everyone chuckled even as they felt sorry for her.

“Here,” Susan handed Mryddin a packet of ginger snaps and a bottle of ginger beer. “Ginger will help settle her stomach.”

“Thanks,” Mryddin replied before he went to join his mate.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.2K 1K 20
"your eyes" "what about them?" "they look golden" cooper x female oc * THIS WAS WRITTEN BEFORE THE CARSON SITUATION, HE IS MENTIONED IN THIS STORY*
118K 4.5K 113
ยทหš เผ˜โ‚Šยทโžณ ๐’๐Ž๐‹๐„๐ˆ๐‹ เผŠ*ยทหš {๐๐„๐‘๐‚๐˜ ๐‰๐€๐‚๐Š๐’๐Ž๐} โ๐‘ณ๐’†๐’•'๐’” ๐’ˆ๐’ ๐’”๐’๐’Ž๐’†๐’˜๐’‰๐’†๐’“๐’† ๐’•๐’‰๐’† ๐’”๐’–๐’ ๐’Œ๐’Š๐’”๐’”๐’†๐’” ๐’•๐’‰๐’† ๐’”๐’†๐’‚.โž Guided by prophec...
368K 11.6K 31
*COMPLETED* ~Book 1 of the werewolf stories, book 2 is also completed~ Legend has it that every hundred years or so, a blue wolf is born which has mo...
2.5M 86.1K 46
"Shift." His voice hit me like a serrated blade as he stepped out of the crude semicircle of hardened wolves that had formed around me. I pushed mys...