Boat of Destinies

By Radimont

In the year 1984, space was still a mystery to mankind. The deepest and darkest folds of it still hadn't even... More

Author's Note
Vocab for You :)
Prologue
1. Blazes
2. Promise
4. Run
5. Surprise
6. Family
7. Travels
8. The Drift
9. Governors
10. Responsibility
11. Family Matters

3. Boat

6 0 0
By Radimont

A ragged huff left Makana's mouth.

Her hand drifted up to cradle the head of the baby as she slid down a rock. Makana landed with a soft thump, causing her little sister to stir from her sleep. Makana peered down at Osa, the youngest child in the family. The one orbit old baby was currently wrapped tightly around Makana's torso with a bright blue shawl.

Pua and Inola had grown busy over the years, making the task of looking after her younger siblings to fall over Makana's shoulders. Koko wasn't much of a reliability, since she spent most of her days in academy. Unlike the rest of the family, Koko had decided to continue her path toward education after the age of sixteen.

It was expensive, but rewarding. If Koko wasn't in academy, she was working to pay off her expenses. Makana envied her. Koko was succeeding in the areas where she couldn't. Her older sister was headed in path of diplomacy, meaning she was going to be greatly known and heavily compensated in the future.

Osa yawned, her little mouth opening. Her big, round eyes blinked open, revealing two bright orange eyes. Makana stroked her chubby cheeks gently. Osa's ears twitched as she became aware of her surroundings; they were outside. The loud sound of creatures chirping and bugs buzzing filled the air, as well as the distant chatter and loudness of the small town behind them.

Makana considered letting Osa walk the rest of the way, she was growing heavy. But she knew her fragile feet weren't strong enough for the uneven ground beneath them. Osa's feet were still soft and definitely not capable of handling the harshness of the ground.

Unlike Makana's feet, which were hard and numb. The Sakami ground was dirty, filled with bacteria and viruses that could threaten soft feet. The bacteria was useful for the rich plant growth and development of the creatures. At academy, when she was four bits old, one of the first things they always did was burn off the softness of their feet.

It was a long and painful process but the results were good. Makana could walk anywhere without getting ill or feeling pain. The hardness of her feet also didn't have as many nerves as the rest of her body, which meant if she cut it or stepped on something rough it would be unlikely to feel any of it.

Makana pushed some thin leafed bushes out of her way as she extended her leg over it. Osa said something incoherently, babbling quietly. Makana stared down at her as she paused for a breath. Osa leaned her head over Makana's chest, blowing hard to make her little lips vibrate.

"We're almost there." Makana whispered.

The older sibling made her way cautiously through the plant growth around her. She was careful to avoid any poisonous or life threatening vegetation that was around them. The nation of Sirinu was famously known for their rich plants, including the ones that dripped with venom.

Makana stepped over another rock, sliding down from it. She came to abrupt stop as the ocean came into view. Her feet slightly sunk into the soft dirt beneath her. The ocean water quietly lapped at the bank, it's serenity washing a sense of peace over Makana.

"We're here, Osa." She grinned as she gazed out to the oceanic front. The Star shone brightly in the horizon, dipping into the water which made it seem orange and pink. The Dark Stars were beginning to come into full view not too far.

Makana's eyes found a small blob off in the distance, most likely a rocky cliff full with moss and vines. There were a lot of them around the coast of Sakami. Usually what people did, was to go and travel to find those cliffs. Depending on how high they were, people would take hours or days climbing them.

The Tuzi would climb the cliffs for many purposes. Sometimes the climbs were a symbol of trust and prosperity, when the deuces would get united they would climb it together without ropes or anything. They would use each other to achieve their inner strength and trust.

Other Tuzi would climb the cliffs to find peace and harmony within themselves. They could spend weeks up there with no food and no contact with anyone else. Makana knew every nation in Tuzuno was different, therefore there was many different ways to use the sacred cliffs.

She had never climbed one. Never thought of herself pure enough to do so. Perhaps one day; when she would get united with Achak. The thought made her swallow with uneasy. The more she thought of their future, the more she would begin to feel weary.

Instead, she forced herself to focus her eyes at the most beautiful thing before her. Makana's favorite thing; the ocean water.

She took a step forward, her feet pressing against the glowing blue gunk that clung to the bank. The water lapped softly against her feet, causing her eyes to trail further away to where the water was deeper. There were specks of bright green, swirls of deep purple, and tendrils of turquoise.

Makana had first always thought of it as dirty water, or unsanitary. But the more she came and learned about the bioluminescent glow, the more she found a certain beauty to it. A few fishes swam to the service, their yellow glow quickly disappearing into the depths as they noticed her presence.

The bioluminescent ocean water gained its light from biological organisms within its depths. What happened to be the biological organisms was the bacteria that was embedded in the bottom of the ocean. They were slightly similar to the bacteria of the ground.

The ocean bacteria just had less viruses and diseases, making it safer to swim in. She had gotten sick one time from a swim, but it was only because she accidentally swallowed a gulp of the water.

Makana took another careful step forward, the lukewarm water rising to her ankles. The tips of her skirt grew wet, soaking more and more water. Her anklets didn't clank anymore as she took another step forward. The water rose to her calves.

Makana untied the knot that held the shawl together. As it began to become undone, she quickly grabbed Osa. The shawl sagged against her. Osa wriggled in her arms, reaching for the water anxiously. Makana struggled to unwrap her midsection with one arm while handling Osa with the other.

When she finally finished, Makana placed the shawl around her shoulders and over her head loosely. With her now free arms, she lowered Osa gently into the water. It smoothly swirled around her legs, causing multiple high pitched giggles to escape her small mouth.

Makana held on to one of Osa's hands. She knew the tendency of her little sister to wander around. Osa hopped around, splashing water everywhere. Makana groaned as her skirt grew even more wet. Osa noticed her annoyance, giggling harder. The older sister glared down at her as a smile stretched over her lips.

"Oh, so you like getting me wet?"

Osa crouched down in laughter as she covered her mouth with her little hand. Makana dropped Osa's hand, cupping her own hands with water. She threw the water at Osa, immediately drenching her. Osa squealed as her ears flattened.

She kicked at Makana, making the water splash over her. Makana gasped as she tried to run away. Osa followed her, continuing to kick water at her. Makana ran away from her, dragging her skirt between her legs. Osa screamed with laughter as she pumped her legs.

Makana made sure to stay near the bank. She knew Osa wasn't strong enough to handle any deeper. "Catch me if you can!" Makana yelled behind her shoulder. She bent down and splashed water behind her. Osa's shriek of excitement was the confirmation that she got hit with it.

As Makana turned to grab Osa, her eyes narrowed at some thing in her hands. Osa grinned up at her, her hands filled with the blue gunk that clung all over the bank. Makana's eyes widened. "Osa, no." She warned, wagging a finger at her. Osa giggled quietly, raising her hand.

Makana took a tentative step backward. She glared at Osa, her ears pressing down under her shawl. "Osa!" A new voice yelled to her right. Makana snapped her gaze toward the voice. Osa turned around in surprise and threw the gunk at the person.

Kaipo stood near the bank, his mouth hanging open in surprise as he stared down at his now stained shirt. He looked at Osa, a wicked grin on his lips. "Oh, it's on." Kaipo whispered. Osa screamed as she bounded away. Kaipo lunged, throwing himself into the water.

Some splashed on Makana, making her groan. The eleven orbit old boy grabbed Osa into his arms, swinging her around and occasionally dipping her into the water. Laughter and shrieks filled the air. Makana slowly brought herself to the bank, not wanting to get any more wet.

"Did he do his work from academy?" Makana asked as she folded her arms over her chest.

Her best friend stood at the bank, hands behind her back as she smiled down at Makana. Bimisi was a rather short Tuzi, something rare in their sector. Her skin tone was similar to Makana's, having a tinge of purple. There were small specks that glowed in her skin, just as Makana had. That was what brought them together in academy when they were young. Turned out, the glowing specks weren't as special as Makana thought them to be.

Bimisi was also her cousin, which explained the real reason why they were close. They would always see each other in family gatherings or in celebrations. Bimisi had short black hair, an uncommon thing to see among the Tuzi women. Her freckled nose bridge stood out the most, highlighting her yellow eyes.

"Of course he did." Bimisi answered with a causal shrug. Makana lifted a brow, knowing Kaipo wasn't known for doing the work that academy always left him. Bimisi sighed, giving in. "Alright, so he didn't finish. At least I got him to start it."

Makana rolled her eyes. "Bimisi, you know he has to finish before going out to play." She scolded as she lifted her drenched skirt to let herself step onto the bank. She reached down and wrung it out. Her friend crouched down to help her.

"But nevermind that. I heard you were out late again?" Makana could practically hear the grin in Bimisi's voice. It was her turn to sigh. "Mamé told you?"

Bimisi chuckled as they both straightened. "On the contrary. Achak did." She wiggled her eyebrows. Makana frowned, her ears dropping. Bimisi brought her arm around Makana's shoulders. "I honestly don't know why you hate him so much. I would love for my deuce to be that attractive and caring." She chided.

Makana shook her head. "Then you can take him." She muttered. She knew of some paired people who traded deuces. It was possible, but very hard to come by. There had to be consent from all four of the people involved.

Bimisi dropped her hold on Makana with a soft sigh. "You know I can't. My deuce wouldn't be for it." She grumbled. "Besides, Achak doesn't want anyone but you." Makana folded her arms. "Why did this even come up in your conversation with him?" She asked. Bimisi sank to the bank, plucking her knee length skirt higher in order to keep it from drenching in water.

"I came by your home to pick Kaipo up. Your papé and Achak were on rest from work and he asked for you. I told him you were either working or out here with Osa." Bimisi answered as she dipped her feet into the cool water. Makana joined her friend on the bank, lifting her skirt as well.

"He mentioned how he found you this dawning walking alone from another home?" Bimisi said, biting her lip. Her sharp canine teeth popped out, glinting in the Starlight's rays. Makana pursed her lips as she turned her eyes away from her friend. Bimisi gently bumped Makana's shoulder.

"Chu'a again, huh?"

Makana narrowed her eyes at Bimisi, her pupils growing to slits. "Bimisi." She hissed in warning. Her friend looked around in alarm. "What? There is no one around! This is a confidential and secure place to talk about him." Bimisi said defensively.

"I told you to never even breathe his name. You put both of us at risk." Makana said. Bimisi chuckled. "Makana, the risk is already there. Especially with Achak already having suspicions." Makana shifted uncomfortably, knowing what she had done with Chu'a was unforgivable.

"Did he say anything?" Makana whispered as she glanced at Bimisi. Her cousin nudged her softly with her knee. "Nothing to worry about, alright?" She responded, her voice growing warm. "I told you this was never a great idea. Chu'a is a wealthy man who would let nothing ruin his family's good name."

Makana swallowed hard with regret. Her mind was going back to that somber place in her head. "I know," she answered hoarsely. Bimisi gave her a small encouraging smile, placing a hand on her knee. "Did you tell him?" Makana nodded, her spine slightly straightening with pride. Now that, she had done.

"Yes, I'm sure he understood the message. I was clear I didn't want to see him anymore." Makana told her. Bimisi bobbed her head. "I know it might be---"

"It wasn't hard, Bimisi. There was no emotion attached." Makana interrupted. Her friend gave out a laugh. "My mistake. I had forgotten how strong and resilient my Makana is." She chuckled. Makana rolled her eyes as she shoved Bimisi away with a chuckle.

Bimisi flung to the ground, given her small structure was easy to overcome physically. She chuckled, shaking her head. Makana let herself relax as a few giggles left her mouth. Bimisi wagged a thin finger at Makana. "You are one little----"

A high pitched scream brought them both to complete silence. Makana's head snapped toward the sound, her pupils enlarging as her ears immediately perked up at the loud noise. Bimisi's smile fell as her ears twitched into the air. Makana shoved herself to her feet, her eyes darting everywhere to locate Kaipo and Osa.

Bimisi scrambled after her as Makana charged into the water. Her skirt floated into the water, soaking up once again. But Makana didn't care, her mind was already gone. Different scenarios of what could happen to Kaipo and Osa replayed over in her mind.

"Kaipo? Osa..."

The characters died in her throat as her eyes landed on the sky. Her ears instantly fell back as she took a cautious step back. There was a tiny object amongst the clouds, growing bigger by the click. The circular shape grew visible as it became clearer into Makana's vision.

         She craned her head up, the loose shawl around her head slipping down to her shoulders. Confusion and fear crept inside of her as she recognized what it was. The metallic shaped ball was a boat, something that everyone in the galaxy used to travel from spheriod to spheriod.

But as it plunged down, Makana realized something was wrong with the boat itself. There were crazy lights glitching around it, the loud groaning reaching her ears. The second thing she realized, was that it was coming toward them. Her heart accelerated.

     "Kaipo! Osa!" She roared, ripping her eyes away from the sky. She frantically searched the waters for her younger siblings. Makana lunged forward in a frenzy as she caught the familiar head of Kaipo a few measures away. Bimisi splashed into the water as well, racing toward her cousins.

With Makana's long strides, she reached them first. "Kaipo! Let's go!" She yelled, shaking his shoulders. He stood in frozen shock, his eyes locked on the boat flying toward them. Makana grabbed a wailing Osa from his arms, handing her off to Bimisi. As her friend spun away and sprinted back to the bank.

              Kaipo gaped at the boat, fear written across his eyes. Makana glanced at the sky, her stomach squeezing into a tight ball as she realized how close it was coming. She grabbed Kaipo from under his armpits, slipping her arms around his torso as she hastily ran back to the bank.

     With the water sloshing around her crazily, she grew tired very quickly. She pushed through it. Her arms almost gave out as she reached the bank, dropping Kaipo. He landed on his feet, the jostle seeming to make him come back to reality. Makana landed on the ground with her knees.

She scrambled to her feet and gripped Kaipo's hand. Bimisi gave her a nod as they both ran away. Makana hopped over a few rocks, helping Kaipo up the slippery slope. Bimisi was ahead of them, given that Osa was not that heavy at all.

       A few of Makana's hair locks fell over her face as she heaved Kaipo up a fallen log that had glowing algae on it. Kaipo struggled to keep up with her, making incoherent noises. "Come on, Kaipo. Keep----"

They were both thrown back as a loud crash sounded through the air. An invisible force knocked them to the ground. The spray of water could be felt from where they were. Makana landed on her back, her bottom smacking hard against a stone. She groaned as she tried to sit up.

     Nausea washed over her, causing her to still for a few clicks. Kaipo landed beside her, his eyes unclear. Makana massaged her temple as she sat up with her elbows. "Kaipo...?" She croaked, blinking rapidly. Her younger brother stayed quiet on the ground, unmoving.

Makana scrambled to her knees, ignoring the protest of her limbs. She reached him within clicks, pressing her dirt filled hands on his shoulders. Makana shook him with all her might. Kaipo's head lulled to the side as his eyes cracked open in confusion. She leaned in relief, letting out a long breath.

"You scared me." She told him.

Kaipo blinked, slightly shaking his head. "What was that, Makana?" He asked, sitting up with the help of his sister. Makana glanced over her shoulder where the boat was sitting against the bank, creaking and groaning. She shook her head.

"I don't know." She whispered. And something inside of her told her that it wasn't good.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

117K 1.8K 40
OK, guys sorry that if I have to do this again, that one story I wrote 2 days ago was wack for me, but I'm sure, I mean 100% that this story will be...
376 11 30
Nobody expects something supernatural to happen to them. Those kind of things only happened in comics. Fairy Tales. Unrealistic dreams that you'd fal...
4.7K 241 41
After escaping with Ko through the everglow, Fischer awakens to a whole new world. They've no idea where they are nor where to go next. After being t...
2.2K 197 25
Hello guys come in to the world of sci-fic . I promise to be a good guide and take you into the world of galaxies . Be ready for the most awaited jou...