Loretta of the Lamp

Por jrmanawa

Loretta bit her lip and took a deep breath before she peered into the keyhole and slid the pick into the narr... Mais

Foreword
All things good and illegal
Urban exploration
Stupid pranks in the dark
A name is power
Forbidden to kill a human
My cocktail of misery
Just breathing
The Road North
Screw it all
The sound of silence
Slept so long
Between freedom and fear
Hikari
Brawl
Not Belonging
Home
Intruder
Trust is a fragile thing
Making friends
Criminal
Fear
The hermitage
It's always been you
I'll be fine
Only me
How to behead a zombie
Death
Doua
No room at the Inn
Akil te Ahi
Offspring of regret
Gypsy curse
I just want to go home
Compressions to breaths
Of silence and sky
The Spooling
Jin
The escape
How does he make you feel?
The Half Moon
Meant to live for so much more
"Your girl Loretta"
Truth Telling
Boxing Day
I don't hate you
The end of the road
Afterword

Land of dust and sand

333 17 2
Por jrmanawa

Loretta woke from a nightmare, shivering and gasping for air.

It was warm and bright, and her eyes were adjusted still to darkness. She snapped them shut, and when that was not enough she put her hands over her face and moaned.

Somewhere in the pit of her stomach she could still feel the lurching sensation that had woken her, a deep uneasy pain like a corkscrew was being turned through her belly button and extracting her along with it. She pressed her stomach with one hand, while still shielding her eyes with the other and lay where she was, quite incapacitated, for an unknown length of time.

Eventually the light didn't seem so bright, and the pain in her stomach receded as the corkscrew twisted back into place.

A shadow passed between her and the light.

Disturbed, she opened her eyes and looked up. The silhouette of someone standing in the way of the sun was all she could see, and "Oooh," was all she could say, the brightness stinging her retinas.

"You are alive then." A voice said. It didn't have the ominous resonance, or the mimicking nature it had before, but it was definitely the same voice that belonged to the figure of smoke from the dark room she had been in only a few minutes prior.

With the pain her gone, she rolled over and sat up. She had been lying on sand, her clothes and her curls were full of it. After she shook it out of her hair and groaned again, she opened her eyes again.

"Am I, alive?" she said, hovering over the word 'alive'. She wasn't sure whether she was asking herself, or the shadow above her.

"Should I pinch you?"

"No!" she frowned at the shadow. There was a long, awkward silence before she spoke again, "Where am I then?" she asked.

"About five miles outside of Rama,"

"R-rama?" she stumbled over the rolling of the 'R'.

"Yes. Rama, the nearest town."

"Oh," Loretta blinked a few times as her pupils made their final adjustments to the light. "And where is Raaaama?"

"Rrrrrrama," he corrected her again.

"Where is it?" she asked again, bluntly.

"I don't understand the question. It's five miles from where we are right now."

"Well, is it in Africa? Egypt? The freakin' Sahara? Where?" Her thinly veiled composure failed her, because it was obvious she was no longer in London, or even England.

He —the creature—began to laugh. His laugh was just as terrifying as his voice had been in the darkness of the storage room moments ago, and it shook her, but she waited patiently for his response.

"Human, surely you know you are inside the lamp? Where else would I exist? Can you not see the earth you walk on and the colour of the sky which forms the boundaries of our world?" He held his arms wide and lifted his head upward.

Loretta also looked up, away from the sun. "Oh," she said.

He laughed more.

"Oh," she repeated, and fainted.

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

9.2K 963 24
As soon as I looked in his eyes I knew that I was in love. It felt like all my burdens just vanished into thin air. My smile was meeting my ears and...
296K 12.1K 36
-Book One- ----------------------------------------------------------------- Rosabelle St. John just wants to keep her little brother alive and her f...
329K 25.7K 83
[This story will become free on June 3, 2024] When college dropout Naya Burton is tempted with the chance to wish all of her problems away, she takes...
86.8K 6K 38
"Usually innocents like you have time to grow into their magic before they have to break the rules. You don't have that time, Minta. Please believe m...