Afraid // Calum Hood

By sugarplumluke

"Calum, why is everyone in this town so afraid of you?" [this isn't scary i promise] More

Prologue
Chapter 1 // Moving In
Chapter 2 // Warning
Chapter 3 // Paint
Chapter 4 // Surprise
Chapter 5 // Groceries
Chapter 6 // Bouquets
Chapter 7 // Sleepover
Chapter 8 // Compromise
Chapter 9 // Cuddles
Chapter 10 // Never Have I Ever
Chapter 11 // Party
Chapter 12 // First
Chapter 13 // Status
Chapter 14 // History
Chapter 15 // Pier
Chapter 16 // Dip
Chapter 17 // Oreos
Chapter 18 // Clink
Chapter 19 // Date
Chapter 20 // Town
Chapter 21 // Crush
Chapter 22 // Truth
Chapter 23 // Exhale
Chapter 24 // Marinara
Chapter 25 // Lunch
Chapter 26 // Sydney
Chapter 27 // Perfect
Chapter 28 // Eric
Chapter 29 // Court
Chapter 30 // Phone Calls
Chapter 31 // Buts
Chapter 32 // Explanations
Chapter 33 // Hot
Chapter 34 // Break
Chapter 35 // Heartbreak
Chapter 36 // Diving
Chapter 37 // Packing
Chapter 38 // Airports (And Dolla Bill$)
Chapter 39 // Calum
Chapter 40 // Reunited & It Feels So Good
Chapter 41 // Bliss
Chapter 42 // Carnival
Chapter 43 // Real Estate
Chapter 44 // Ours
Chapter 45 // Drunk
Chapter 46 // Aftermath
Chapter 47 // Going Out
Chapter 48 // Hospital
Epilogue

Chapter 49 // Awake

132K 5.5K 4.9K
By sugarplumluke

Calum's Point of View

A chorus of loud voices traveled through my eardrums, but I couldn't get a glimpse of anything around me. My eyes felt like they were clamped shut. Shit, am I high? I don't even know what that's like, but I feel incredibly disoriented and lost right now. My neck is even being constricted by some plastic brace and there is something pinching the side of my body. What the hell is going on?

"Do you really think he'll be able to hear us?" A lovely voice asked above the commotion that I could hear, but could not see. I knew that voice from anywhere. It was Ad. 

"I don't know if he can or can't," Someone else said. I recognized the thick Australian accent to belong to Ashton. He basically sounded like a kangaroo. "But it's worth a shot. If he doesn't hear us then we can just repeat it later."

"I can hear you, idiot," I tried to say, but my lips were also glued tightly together, preventing me from even moving an inch. 

"You're right," Ad agreed. "Do you mind if I talk to him alone though? I just want to apologize for the whole accident."

She seemed so distraught. It was hurting me more than what ever bandage was wrapped around my skin. I hated the thought of her being upset. "Baby, you don't need to apologize," I attempted to call out again, but it didn't work. Am I dead or something?

"Of course, Addy," Luke replied. It sounded like there was some movement around whatever unfamiliar room we were currently residing in and then a door slammed shut. 

Addy sighed heavily, sitting down on the mattress I am laying on. Or maybe I'm strapped to it? I don't know, but I can't move and it's annoying as hell. Her perfectly soft hand picked up mine and laced our fingers together, making butterflies flutter throughout my stomach even when I couldn't see her. The absence of sight almost magnified the simple touch of her smooth palms. Jesus, she was perfect. 

"Hi Cal," She greeted awkwardly, using her free hand to trace hearts on the top of my chest. It tickled, but it was much more enjoyable than the usual feeling of bricks sitting on my lungs and preventing me from breathing properly. "I'm really sorry for everything. I'm a terrible driver. I shouldn't have fought with you. You were right. I was being too friendly with Matty, er, Matt. I mean, I didn't flirt with him but I still shouldn't have been so excited. It probably made you feel jealous, which I can't blame you for, because I would be the same way. After all of that stupid Luke drama it was just a bad idea and I'm sorry I wasn't thinking, and I'm sorry that it led to this." 

"It's okay, babyI'm stupid too." 

Another deep exhale escaped her mouth. She was probably tucking that dark brown hair beneath her cute little ears like she always did. Everything she did was cute. Even though a dark curtain was covering my eyeballs at the moment, I still knew she looked cute and absolutely beautiful. 

"I hate seeing you like this, Calum. All of it is my fault. Please wake up already. I miss you like crazy. I really hope you're okay. If something happens to you, oh my God, I don't know what I'll do. I can't live without you, Cal. We tried that once before and you had to fly across the freaking planet to keep us together. Please just be okay. I love you, Calum. I wish I told you that before the accident. I need to say it more often actually. I love you. I love you. I love you. Please, wake up soon."

"I love you too," I stated, but again not even a squeak could be heard. I just wanted her to know how much I loved her. She didn't need to worry about me or our relationship.

Someone entered the room but I couldn't view who it was because of my stupid eyeballs that wouldn't open no matter how hard I tried to pry them open. "Hi Miss Winters, Dr. Landon is going to give you your examination in room 203. I need to give Calum another dose of his medication and then I will escort you to his office."

Medication? Maybe I am high. That must be why I'm feeling this way. 

Ad let go of my hand, making me instantly miss the way our fingers intertwined together. I wanted to whine like a child and clutch onto her again, but I couldn't move an inch. "Okay," Her pretty voice agreed. 

A needle was stuck into my bicep, making me want to yelp in pain. But instead, all that happened was I fell into a state of deep slumber again, and my body relaxed even more. 

--

I could hear voices again, but this time when I went to glance over at them, my eyes actually did open. I jumped, shocked that my brain was even capable of sending messages to my body. I slowly gained my vision back, calling out for Addy and sticking my hands out for her to grab. 

"Aw, she's going to kill us," Ashton said, shaking his head in disappointment but quickly replacing his expression with a smile. "Hi buddy, I'm so glad that you're awake."

"'Me too," I mumbled, attempting to lift my lips up in a smile but they were incredibly numb and swollen. I laughed as he pulled me in for a hug. 

I used my fifth sense that had returned to scope out my surroundings, and I noticed the peppy, yet cautious, Luke was standing next to Ashton, but Ad was not in present in the room. "Where's Adelaide?"

Ashton pulled a funny face. "She literally just left a minute ago to grab us some food. She has barely left your side at all today cause she wanted to be here when you woke up, but I convinced her that she should eat and that you would still be asleep when she came back. I'm glad you're awake but Addy is literally going to execute me and I'm terrified."

I giggled, dragging the laugh out a little longer than necessary. That medication still hasn't worn off I guess. "It's okay. I love you guys."

"We love you too, Cal," Luke finally spoke up, patting my knee carefully. "Um, you're not still mad at me or anything, right?"

I grinned up at him, reaching out to ruffle his hair, but the bandage on my arm restricted me from doing so. I shrugged. "No, it's all good, man. I don't blame you for kissing Addy, she's so hot. I mean, have you seen her booty? I would kiss her too if I wasn't dating her."

Luke chuckled loudly, sharing a look with Ashton that I couldn't quite understand. "Alright you're definitely still on those drugs that the doctor gave you. But I'm really glad to see you're okay. I was so worried I was going to lose my brother."

"Lucas, we're not related," I pointed out, scrunching my nose up at his stupidity. I'm the one who could have gotten brain damage and yet he's the one who forgot his own freaking family tree. 

When I made that face at him, I realized that some tube was connecting from my nostrils to an oxygen tank. I played with it for a moment, cracking up at how the air tickled my skin. Ashton and Luke stared at me in utter amusement. 

The door opened and I directed my gaze to the new visitor, and my heartbeat quickened just by the sight of Addy. "There's my girl," I cooed, leaning my head onto my own shoulder as I tilted my head around my neck brace to get a better view of her beauty, and sent her a lazy smile.

The bag of whatever food she was carrying immediately dropped out of her hands and tumbled onto the squeaky hospital floors beneath us. Her brown eyes frantically flickered between me and the boys. 

"I'm sorry, Addy. He just woke up," Ashton explained to her timidly. "But if it helps he called out to you first."

Ad didn't even reply to him, she just simply lunged towards me, leaping onto my body and wrapping her arms around my torso, squeezing me tightly. "Calum!" She squealed. "You're awake! I'm so sorry. This is all my fault. I'm so sorry. How are you feeling? Are you okay? God, I'm so happy to see that you're awake. I love you."

I pressed a kiss onto her forehead with my larger-than-normal lips. "I'm fine! I don't even feel any pain right now. It's okay, please stop feeling guilty, baby. I tried to tell you that earlier but my mouth wouldn't let me talk."

"What?" Ad asked in confusion, furring her perfectly tamed eyebrows together. 

"I heard you guys talking to me earlier but these damn lips wouldn't let me say anything back," I informed her.

A bright smile appeared onto her face. It basically radiated happiness, because I felt myself smile as well. She looked so happy to see me, and that made me happy as well. Her palms cupped around my face as she leaned closer to me, since I couldn't crane my neck up with this stupid plastic thing around it. "I need to kiss those damn lips," She declared simply, pecking me softly and pulling away quickly, since the boys were still in the room. 

"Aww," Luke cheered,making her perfect cheeks flush to a shade of light pink. I poked her side with my hand that wasn't attached to anything, just to tease her even more. Ashton slapped him and finally picked up the food that Addy had dropped out of sheer surprise. "Uh, I guess we're going to go eat this outside for a bit."

"Smooth," I joked, letting them exit so I could have some time with my favorite girl. She cuddled up into my side again and was being very careful not to press where any of my bandages were. I fidgeted to get comfortable and just stared down at her in awe. 

It was so amazing to be so in love. I didn't care about all of the bruises that were covering the surface of my skin. Hell, I was glad I had them instead of her. That accident was terrifying, even more terrifying than the last one I was involved in, but at least this time I still had my baby. If Addy was the one who had slipped into a coma instead of me, I'm not sure I would have been able to handle it. She is my soulmate.

It's so weird thinking in such a positive way. I remember when Ellie died I swore that my life was over. I never thought I'd ever be able to even laugh again. I went through so many phases of sadness, anger and anxiety than I ever knew were possible. Ashton and Luke gave me a hand to pull me out of the dark hole I was stuck in, but Adelaide, Adelaide gave me a freaking ladder. 

When I first saw the stunning silhouette of hers in the window of Ellie's home, I thought she was some supermodel who had snuck inside the empty home to throw a party and wreck the place. Yelling at her that day was the best thing I've ever done. I can't imagine what my life would be like if I never met her, or never talked to her, or never kissed her, or never let myself fall in love with her. 

I was so afraid of falling in love before, but I'm so glad that I let her break the walls I had built up so tall. I was so proud to say I was in love. Especially since I was in love with an American with a cute accent and a big heart, along with a big booty, who made me feel like I was special and important no matter what the rest of my town believed. 

"I love you, baby," I whispered, feeling awfully sentimental as opposed to my usual goofy personality. It was probably because I'm in a hospital and hospitals change you, man. I mean, not as badly as jail, but I still felt vulnerable. 

"I love you more, Calum," Addy promised me, snuggling her head deeper against my chest. "I was so afraid that you were going to die. I was so afraid that I was never going to be able to see you again or kiss you again or hear you giggle again. I was so afraid that I was going to lose my boyfriend and my best friend. I'm still a little afraid of that, actually."

I shifted away from some of the wires to sling my arm around her and press my lips against hers. "Addy, you have nothing to be afraid of."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note: okay i'm very sad to say this but this is the last chapter of afraid ((besides the epilogue))

isNT IT CUTE THO THAT THE ENDING OF THE FIRST AND LAST CHAPTER ARE THE SAME THING

thank you guys so much for reading this i cant believe this ever got any reads at all it has been such a fun journey and i love all of you so much i hope you enjoyed this story bc i know i did

THE EPILOGUE WILL BE UP VERY SOON DONT DELETE THIS FROM YOUR LIBRARY YET OKAY!!!

unfortunately im not writing a sequel bc im bad at those and i think they drag the story out too much im sorry but the epilogue will show a lot of their fututre i promise

also i have two new calum fanfics that will be starting very shortly which are called roommates and amnesia and i know its not going to be the same as afraid and there wont be caddy but maybe you like my writing and will find a new story to love or a new otp to ship???? idk but check those out pls im thirsty

dedicated to all of you cause i cant thank you enough for how sweet you all are & for all the support i love you babes loads stay tuned for the epilogue okay

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

147K 1.9K 37
I never would've thought I would run into him 4 years later... #1 Calum Fanfic (May 2021) Beside You | Calum Hood | COMPLETED (EDITING) - Original Ve...
4.7K 147 17
"It's the moments, like these, that keep me alive." Warnings: Self-harm, family issues, alcohol, depression, suicide
648K 21.3K 31
"who the fuck is a 5 seconds of summer?"
3.2K 105 16
"Being invisible isn't as bad as it seems." He explained. "Well, your in for one hell of a ride." A story about a punk rocker girl is stuck to go...