Crossing Paths

By rosesareforever

“There are always two choices. Two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.” Jade w... More

Chapter 1: The Enemy
Chapter 2: Animosity
Chapter 3: Wedding Bells
Chapter 4: Untamable Desire
Chapter 5: Resisting the Tension
Chapter 6: Stranded
Chapter 7: Lost in the Storm
Chapter 8: Guardian Angel
Chapter 9: Passionate Encounter
Chapter 10: Denial
Chapter 11: Separating Paths
Chapter 12: Moving on
Chapter 13: The Little Green Monster
Chapter 15: Guard Dog
Chapter 16: No-Strings-Attached
Chapter 17: Baby Boom
Chapter 18: Turn of Events
Chapter 19: Daddy
Chapter 20: Secret Uncovered
Chapter 21: Little Bundle of Joy
Chapter 22: Final Destination
Epilogue

Chapter 14: Keeping the Charade Alive

9.8K 425 24
By rosesareforever

Copyright 2014 © Rosesareforever

Crossing Paths

Chapter 14

'Keeping the Charade Alive'

In a foul mood after leaving Jade’s apartment that morning, Sedric threw the file he was working on back on his desk and cursed loudly. He hadn’t missed the hurt in Jade’s eyes as she passed him to get away as fast as she could. Stephanie had clearly hit the nail on the head. Dammit. It wasn’t that Sedric didn’t want to make any promises to Jade. He just couldn’t. He still didn’t trust her, not after what she did.

He wanted her in his life, there was no denying that anymore. He just couldn’t seem to figure out how to do that without completely baring his soul and giving Jade the perfect opportunity to hurt him again. They both had trust issues. As long as neither of them gave in, there was no future for their relationship.

“Sir, your sister is waiting out the front asking to see you,” Shirley, his secretary, spoke through the intercom. Sedric groaned loudly. Bubbly Kate was the last person he wanted to see today. He couldn’t handle listening to her chatter. His headache would only worsen if he had to listen to his sister all afternoon.

“Send her to my office,” Sedric said anyway, knowing he couldn’t deny his sister’s request. She would just burst into his office without permission. No one refused his sister anything.

A solid minute later, his door flew open and Kate sauntered inside. No knock or apology for interrupting him, that wasn’t Kate’s style. “Hello brother!” she smiled, her eyes shining with excitement as she sat down on top of his desk and closed his laptop. Sedric cursed and glared at her. She really had no manners. “It’s so good to see you!”

“I’d say the same, but we both know that would be a lie, baby girl,” Sedric grunted, leaning his head against the back of his chair.

“You know you love me, big brother, don’t try to deny it. You just love my unexpected visits,” Kate grinned. Yeah, right. Only Kate would believe that.

“What are you doing here?” Sedric asked, not beating around the bush. He wasn’t in the mood to chat. He’d already wasted enough time brooding the past weeks. Work had piled up so high, he couldn’t see past the huge tower anymore. It frustrated him to no end.

“You’re in such a great mood,” Kate remarked sarcastically, rolling her eyes. “What’s wrong? Didn’t get your sexual fulfillment this morning?”

“Of course that’s what’s wrong, I’m still a shallow sixteen years old that thinks with my dick only,” Sedric retorted, scoffing.

Kate snorted and shook her head. “Damn, you really are in a bad mood,” she stated.

“Did you see the pile of work you just pushed aside to sit on my desk? Who knows, maybe that’s the reason I’m stressed out,” Sedric said, feigning ignorance.

“Is the firm having a hard time?” Kate asked worriedly, suddenly turning serious, her eyes filled with concern.

Sedric shook his head. “No, we’re doing great. After the storm work just piled up and I’ve been trying to get back on track ever since. It just doesn’t seem to end,” he explained, running his fingers through his dark locks.

“You work too hard. Hire someone that can take some of your workload. It’ll make things a lot easier on you,” Kate proposed, resting her hand on top of Sedric’s and squeezing reassuringly.

“You know I’m a perfectionist, Kate. I could never let someone else do my job. I’d constantly supervise them, which would only give me even more work. It’s bad enough that I had to hire a secretary,” Sedric protested. He hated not being able to do everything himself. He didn’t trust easily. If someone screwed up, he would have to take the blame as the owner of the firm. That’s exactly the reason why Sedric tried to keep the business small. Unfortunately, his partner, David, didn’t agree. David would love to see the firm grow larger.

“You’re such a control freak! It isn’t healthy behavior, you know?” Kate said, shaking her head. “Anyway, that’s not why I’m here.”

“Then why are you here?” Sedric asked skeptically with a raised eyebrow. Kate loved to visit him, but most of the time she had a solid reason to bother him.

“I’m holding a family dinner party next week and I’d like you and Jade to come,” Kate stated. Sedric internally groaned. His sister still believed he was dating Jade. He hadn’t found the courage yet to tell her the truth. Of course Kate had to plan a dinner party where Jade was invited too. He should’ve seen this coming. It was so like Kate.

“I don’t know, baby girl. Jade is a busy woman. I’m not sure she’ll be able join us,” Sedric dismissed. He should tell his sister the real reason why Jade couldn’t join them, but he was too damn cowardly to do it. He couldn’t even muster the courage to lie further by saying they had broken up. He’d hate to see the disappointment and hurt in Kate’s eyes. He’d already put her through enough the past six years.

“That’s BS, Sed. Everyone needs to take a break from time to time. I’m sure if you tell Jade it’s important to the family that she joins us, she’ll make some time,” Kate protested, not taking ‘no’ for an answer.

“We both have busy schedules, Kate. Try to understand that,” Sedric argued. He couldn’t let Kate talk him into this. Jade would strangle him.

“Get your priorities straight, brother. This is important to me. One night is not going to turn your lives upside down,” Kate stressed.

Sedric sighed deeply, knowing he was fighting a lost battle. Emotional blackmail was going to be his death one day. “We’ll come, but I can’t promise we’ll stay all night,” he eventually agreed, already afraid to see Jade’s reaction. She was not going to like this.

“Perfect,” Kate grinned. “You can go home after dessert if you like, but of course, I’d rather see you both stay until the rest of the family decides to leave.”

“I offer you a finger and you take a hand. Jade leaves when she wants to leave. Be happy I agreed to this,” Sedric grunted.

“You’re no fun, Sed, no fun at all,” Kate smiled. “I’m going to head home now. Michael should be due home soon to try and make babies. Today is my most fertile day of the month!”

Sedric cursed as his sister started to squeal in delight. “That’s way too much information, Kate!” he groaned. Dammit. He did not want to know that.

“You baby,” Kate grinned. “It’s nothing to be ashamed of.” Laughing, Kate walked to the door. “See you next week, brother. Don’t be late. Dinner starts at six,” and with that Kate left the room. It was going to be a long week for Sedric.

***

Jade was still pissed at herself when she came home from work that day. She ignored all calls and texts from Stephanie and just acted like that morning hadn’t happened. It hurt too much to admit that she’d made another fatal mistake. Sleeping with Sed, a-fucking-gain, had been a bad idea, probably one of the worst she’d had the past year.

She’d texted Tyler on her way home and told him they could no longer see each other. Sedric might not be the man for her, but Tyler wasn’t either. She should’ve realized that sooner instead of fooling around with him. Jade needed a decent man at her side, someone that wouldn’t suggest a fuck-buddy relationship the moment they noticed she was emotionally unavailable. They should fight to win her attention and make her feel something – anything. Tyler wasn’t the guy to make her change her mind.

Cursing, Jade let herself fall onto the couch and let out a long, frustrated sigh. Fuck it all. What did she do to deserve such a difficult life? She’d once been an innocent teenager, a girl that wanted nothing more than to start her life and enjoy every moment living it. What a disaster that turned out to be. Instead she spent six years breathing, not really living, pondering and worrying, but not enjoying every damn second like she’d once dreamed off. It sucked big time.

Jade always used to believe that fairytales were true, despite what everyone told her. She honestly thought she’d meet her dream prince, marry him and have his babies. Sedric quickly shattered that perfect picture. Maybe it was a good thing those blinders were pulled from her eyes. Facing reality that soon in life showed her she’d been living in a dream world. Those tales didn’t really exist. They were created to give children a false sense of safety. Life definitely wasn’t as easy and beautiful as it was told in stories.

A knock on the door startled Jade. She wasn’t expecting anyone. Deciding to ignore whoever was planning on bothering her, she closed her eyes and tried to tune out the noise. Today was so not the day for social visits.

“I know you’re in there. Open the fucking door, Jade,” Sedric called out, his fist hitting the wooden surface of her door hard enough Jade was afraid he might wreck it. Cursing him in twenty different ways, Jade rose from the couch and stomped to the hallway.

“A second, you impatient pig,” she shouted back, intentionally taking a long time to unlock the door. Sedric was the last person she wanted to see today. She was done being his plaything. No more booty calls from now on.

“I’ve been waiting a damn eon,” Sedric retorted the moment Jade finally opened the door and let him in. He was still clad in a suit, probably just having left work.

“Don’t whine like a baby, Sed. It doesn’t suit you,” Jade pointed out as she closed the door once he was inside her apartment. What the hell was he doing there? He didn’t seriously expect her to let him spend another night again, right? He’d be even more stupid than she thought if he believed that.

“Don’t be such a bitch, buttercup. It doesn’t suit you,” Sedric fired back, smirking when he noticed her face fell.

“Are you here to insult me or what?” Jade questioned, growing impatient. Opening the door was clearly a mistake.

“No, I’m not,” Sedric denied as he took off his overcoat and hung it over the rail of the couch.

“No need to get comfortable,” Jade told him, crossing her arms. “You’ll be leaving soon.”

Sedric smirked, his eyes filled with amusement as he watched her. “Babe, don’t be afraid. I won’t eat you alive,” he grinned, taking a step closer and resting his hand on her hip.

Jade rolled her eyes and took a step back. His hand fell away and Sedric’s smile widened. He was clearly enjoying her reaction. “I’m not here for that if that’s what you’re thinking,” Sedric clarified, his eyes fixated on her boobs. Jade shifted uncomfortably and quickly let her arms drop next to her body.

“Then what the hell are you doing here?” Jade asked, her tone cold. She couldn’t show how affected she was by his presence. Sedric was already enjoying this way too much.

“I’m here to tell you you’ll be going to a family dinner with me next week,” Sedric told her. No question or explanation, a simple order. He could go screw himself.

“I don’t think so,” Jade refused, shaking her head. “Our deal was clear. I covered my part. You promised you’d leave me alone after we returned from the island.”

“I lied,” Sedric replied easily. “I need you to pick up your role for a few more weeks.”

Jade shook her head, laughing humorlessly. “No way, Sed. I’d rather eat dirt than play your girlfriend a day longer.”

Sedric smirked. “Keep telling yourself that. It wasn’t me who came five times last night and kept begging me for more.”

“Sex is sex. We had our fun. Today is a different day. I have no problem fucking you. I just don’t ever want to be your girlfriend again,” Jade lied.

His face hardened, the warmth leaving Sedric’s eyes. “No problem, buttercup. You’d be the last person I’d ask to be my girlfriend,” he retorted. That stung. Jade didn’t bother to deny his words hurt like a bitch. She might be good at pretending she hated his guts, but everyone but Sedric knew how much she still loved him.

“Now we’ve got that settled. I still refuse to follow your demands, Sed,” Jade stated, changing the topic. “Look for another pretend girlfriend.”

“It’s not that simple and you know it. Kate still believes we’re an item. Until I find a believable excuse for our ‘break-up’, you’ll have to keep pretending. She invited us over for a family dinner at her place.” Jade sighed and shook her head. Sweet Kate. How could Sedric keep lying to her? The woman deserved to know the truth.

“You have to tell her the truth, Sed,” Jade told him. As much as Jade would miss Sedric’s sister, it was time they finally ended this charade and told everyone the truth. Kate would be lost to her, but at least Jade wouldn’t have to lie a day longer.

“I can’t,” Sedric protested. “I’ve failed my sister enough the past six years. I can’t tell her I blackmailed you into coming to the island with me. She’ll hate me. It’s something Kate would never forgive.” For a fleeting moment Jade could see the obvious pain and desperation in Sedric’s eyes before he quickly covered it with a blank expression.

“She’s your sister, Sed, she’ll forgive you,” Jade argued.

“You don’t know her if you truly believe that,” Sedric insisted. Jade sighed. He was right. The Kate she’d met wouldn’t forgive Sedric if she found out the real reason why Jade was at the wedding. Kate might be a sweet little thing, she was also a stubborn bull like her brother. She’d lash out and refuse to see Sedric again.

“I can’t believe I’m about to say this,” Jade mumbled. “I’ll agree to go to the family dinner your sister has planned, but only because I’d hate to see Kate hurting. She’s too sweet and kindhearted. Honestly, Sed, your sister deserves better than a brother like you.” It was a direct hit. Jade could see it by the way Sedric visibly stiffened.

“Good,” Sedric stated, his face emotionless, the mask firmly in place. “I’ll pick you up Saturday at five thirty.” With that Sedric picked up his overcoat from the couch, turned around and left the apartment. Jade watched him go, hating herself for feeling bad about hurting him. He deserved it, yet Jade felt miserable for being the one to sting him that deeply. Fuck her complicated life.

***

The week passed by quickly. Work was busy with the summer arriving, which caused Jade to work overtime almost daily. It meant Saturday came a lot sooner than she’d anticipated, too soon. She still didn’t know why she’d been stupid enough to agree to join Sedric. She’d been having second thoughts from the moment he left her apartment.

Unfortunately, Jade did keep her promises. She told Sedric she’d come, so she would. Jade never went back on her word. Sedric used to be the same, but apparently that changed as well. She couldn’t believe he still hadn’t told his sister the truth. The poor woman deserved better. However, Jade had to admit, she understood why Sedric had lied. Kate would never forgive him if she found out what her brother had done.

“We’re almost there,” Sedric told her, his eyes still focused on the road as he drove them to his sister’s place. No matter how reluctant Jade was to join the family dinner, she’d still put some work in her appearance and was currently wearing her newest pair of Louboutin’s and a kick-ass dress. She’d opted for a classic, yet sexy look and was rewarded with a shocked expression from Sedric. He might have covered it quickly, but she’d noticed anyway.

“Who will join tonight?” Jade asked, curious. The Miller family was huge. Who knows who Kate invited?

“I’m not sure, but I think it’s a fairly private gathering. My parents and my brother’s family,” Sedric replied, shifting gears. He was an excellent driver, much less reckless and irresponsible than the last time Jade sat in his car six years ago. He clearly matured, both on the outside and inside. The young Sedric would’ve taken risks and gone 15 miles above the speed limit. He didn’t fear anything. Fortunately that changed.

“How’s Emma doing?” Jade questioned. The last time she’d seen Sedric’s sister-in-law the woman had said goodbye to her daughter before leaving on her honeymoon. She must’ve been worried sick when she realized a storm hit the island after she left.

“Fairly okay, I guess. She had to go to the doctor after she arrived home because of the stress she’d endured, but the baby was fine. Ob-gyn just told her to take it easy the last three months of her pregnancy,” Sedric explained.

Jade fell silent. It wasn’t uncomfortable, but not entirely comfortable either. Their relationship used to be much less complicated. She honestly didn’t know what to say. Smalltalk was overrated. Before she could start stressing, Sedric pulled the car into a parking spot in front of a huge house. Jade was left speechless for a moment. She didn’t know what she expected, but this was certainly not it.

“My sister wanted to live in a nice neighborhood with plenty of room to raise children. She and Michael have been trying to get pregnant for a while,” Sedric shared as he noticed her awestruck face. Jade had known Kate wanted to start a family as soon as possible, but she had no idea the woman bought a house especially to make her dream come true. It was crazy.

“She can certainly raise a bunch of kids in a place like this,” Jade mumbled, still gazing at the huge house. Herself, Jade always dreamed of having two children, preferably a boy and girl. No way she’d survive a bigger family.

“Yeah, my sister wants at least four kids. I told her she was crazy,” Sedric stated, shaking his head. “Michael is too much of a pussy to refuse her anything.”

“Four?” Jade repeated with wide eyes. “Jesus,” she mumbled. “I’m not sure I’d survive having one kid, let alone four.” Honestly, the past six years Jade hadn’t really thought about having kids. She’d accepted her fate as a lonely woman. She just had to buy a few cats and the picture was complete.

“I know, my sister is a crazy person. I’d like to have kids in the future, but not four. Maybe two,” Sedric said, his voice toning down by the end of his sentence. He clearly realized what a personal subject they were talking about.

Fortunately, before things could turn awkward, Kate opened the front door with a huge smile across her features. “Hi you two, come inside!” she grinned. Bubbly as always and a great hostess, Kate led them to the dining room where the rest of the family was waiting. Jade smiled nervously as five pair of eyes focused on her.

“It’s lovely to see you again, darling,” Alison smiled politely, standing up to press a quick peck against Jade’s cheek. It was an extremely friendly way to greet someone and not at all what Jade expected from Alison. They might have solved their former issues, but that didn’t mean she’d anticipated a warm welcome.

“Hello Jade, how are you doing? Lily has been talking nonstop about you,” Emma smiled, trying to get up to greet her. The woman lovingly rubbed her belly as her husband helped her out of her chair.

Jade smiled warmly at Emma, hugging her cautiously. “How’s the little spitfire?” she asked with a grin, looking around the room.

“She’s not here,” Emma quickly interrupted, ending Jade’s search. “Lucas thought it was better to let her sleepover at my parents’. That way we can stay as long as we want. We usually have to leave early if we don’t want her to miss her bedtime. She gets cranky if she doesn’t get a full nights sleep,” the woman explained.

Jade nodded in understanding. She’d seen what sleep deprivation could do to the sweet little girl during her stay on the island. “Hi,” Jade smiled, holding out her hand to Emma’s husband. Lucas nodded, shaking her hand before taking a step back and helping his wife back in her chair.

It could have been her imagination, but Jade couldn’t help but think Lucas was giving her the cold shoulder. From day one he’d seemed reluctant to talk to her, much like Sedric’s friend David. It was still a mystery to her what made them think she was such a horrible person.

After Jade shook hands with both Harold and Michael, they finally sat down at the dining room table. Conversations flowed easily as Jade politely smiled at Sedric’s family. It was an understatement to say she felt uncomfortable and not at all at ease with that many Millers in the room. She felt like an outcast. It was clear the rest of the family was used to being in each other’s presence.

Halfway through dinner, Sedric’s hand suddenly rested on her inner thigh as he gave her a reassuring squeeze. “Relax,” he whispered in her ear, nuzzling his face in the crook of her neck for a moment before pulling back and focusing on his family members.

Jade smiled nervously as she tried to relax her stiff muscles, catching Alison’s confused frown in the process. It was clear the woman didn’t understand what Jade was doing at the family gathering after she explained Sedric and she hadn’t really gotten back together. To be honest, Jade didn’t understand it either. What on earth possessed her to agree? She could blame it on Kate’s wellbeing, but who was she trying to fool? The only reason Sedric could talk her into this that easily was because she couldn’t suppress her feelings for him.

***

Dinner went fairly well, much to Sedric’s delight. Jade had been nervous, but not bad enough to make anything look suspicious. It was a relief. Kate was still convinced they were together for real and happy that her big brother was finally on the right track. What more could he ask for?

Satisfied with the way his plan worked out, Sedric took his coat from the peg in his sister’s hallway and put it on. He hadn’t noticed his brother had followed him out of the room. “What the hell are you doing bringing that woman here? I thought you were supposed to be done with her after the wedding?” Lucas accused, looking angry.

Sedric hadn’t told his brother about his realization that he still loved Jade or the fact that he’d slept over at her place the week before. He wasn’t going to either. He could already imagine the speech Lucas would give him. No way was that going to happen. He didn’t need the headache.

“I still haven’t told Kate we broke up, so I needed to keep the charade alive for a few weeks longer,” Sedric replied, shrugging.

“What’s taking you this long? Just tell Kate the two of you are over and it’s done. She’ll be disappointed, but it’s not like she’ll be angry. You know her. She’ll just try to sooth your ‘wounds’ and ask you over a few times because she’s worried,” Lucas retorted. Sedric knew it should be as easy as that. He also knew that would mean he no longer had a solid reason to keep stopping by at Jade’s place.

At least now he could pretend he was seeing Jade to stay in his sister’s favor and not because he actually couldn’t live without her. “Kate would get suspicious. If she finds out the real reason why Jade attended to the wedding, she’ll never forgive me,” Sedric told his brother, pointing out an actual fact.

“Then make sure she doesn’t find out. Dammit, Sed, why did you have to pull this stunt? It makes everything so damn complicated,” Lucas grunted.

It was a good question, one Sedric didn’t have an answer to. Why did he start all of this in the first place? His mother wasn’t worth all the trouble he put himself through. What a fool he’d been. His plan integrally backfired.

“I’m ready to go,” Jade suddenly said, interrupting their heart-to-heart conversation as she strolled into the hallway with a chattering Kate behind her.

“It was so good to see you again, Jade. You can stop by any time you want,” Kate smiled widely, pulling Jade into a warm hug.

“Good luck with the baby making. Let me know if the basal body temperature is the key to calculate your ovulation,” Jade said, making Sedric cringe internally. He hadn’t wanted to listen in on that part of their conversation – at all.

 “I will. I honestly hope I get pregnant this time,” Kate nodded fiercely, grinning at Jade.

“I’m going to pretend I didn’t hear any of this,” Sedric stated, his face twisted in discomfort.

“Don’t be such a baby, Sed. We’re just talking about pregnancies,” his sister told him, playfully bumping him in the shoulder.

“It’s a good thing Emma didn’t have any trouble getting knocked up,” Lucas mumbled under his breath as he passed his brother. Sedric had to do everything in his power not to burst into laughter. Kate would so not appreciate that.

“Let’s go,” Sedric told Jade, before the two women could continue to talk about ovulating.

“See you around, Kate,” Jade smiled widely at his sister. For a moment Sedric felt guilty. In a few weeks when he told Kate about their ‘break-up’, Jade would probably never see his little sister again. As much as Sedric tried to keep everyone from getting hurt, he knew Jade would suffer. She actually liked Kate. It would’ve been perfect if they were truly a couple, but Jade had made it clear she never wanted to be his girlfriend again. That ship had sailed a long time ago.

Thank you for reading. Please vote and comment! I'd love to know what you think of the chapter!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.8K 249 37
Jade Peterson was only ten years old when she was convicted of both her parents' murders. After spending five long years in juvenile detention, she b...
1K 56 55
HER: I knew there would be consequences for what I did. I knew this would be hard. But it's so much harder than I ever want to admit. Physically brok...
384K 21.7K 91
She lives in Fairy Tale, believes all that Fairy tales she is hearing from her childhood. She lives in dream kingdom and she herself is the Empress o...
281K 10.3K 47
DISCLAIMER* I am no longer in use of this account, nor any of my stories, I am no longer a huge BVB fan and I know my stories have horrible grammar a...