Paper Hearts | ✓

By Sky_teddy

"God! Kemi I'm so sorry I shouldn't have..." "You're sorry?" she asked her eyes misty with unshed tears. "Wha... More

🌸Introduction 🌸
✍ Chapter One ✍
✍ Chapter Two✍
✍ Chapter Three✍
✍ Chapter Four✍
✍ Chapter Five ✍
✍Chapter Six✍
✍ Chapter Seven✍
✍ Chapter Eight✍
✍Chapter Nine✍
✍ Chapter Ten✍
✍ Chapter Eleven✍
✍Chapter Twelve✍
✍ Chapter Thirteen✍
✍Chapter Fourteen✍
✍Chapter Fifteen ✍
✍ Chapter Sixteen✍
✍ Chapter Eighteen✍
✍ Chapter Nineteen✍
✍ Chapter Twenty✍
✍ Chapter Twenty-one✍
✍Chapter Twenty-two✍
✍ Chapter Twenty-three✍
✍ Chapter Twenty-four✍
✍ Chapter twenty-five✍
✍ Chapter Twenty-six✍
✍ Epilogue ✍

✍ Chapter Seventeen✍

1.7K 284 21
By Sky_teddy

Seventeen | Reflections

As a hart longs for flowing streams, so longs my soul longs for thee- Psalm 42:1

~•~

Kemi sat in front of the mirror and frowned at her reflection. A month ago, if anyone had told her that her life would have this much drama she would have laughed at their face and called them a fudge ball. Now look at what was happening now;

Heartbreak;

Threats;

Letters;

Heartbreak;

More letters!

She was starting to get dizzy from riding on this endless emotional rollercoaster. Sadly the ride didn't seem to have an end switch.

Kemi sighed as she swept her hair up in a bun at the middle of her head, some stubborn tendrils still fell back down at her face. Groaning she pulled them up but they stubbornly fell back down. They-the tendrils-reminded her of her feelings for Nnamdi. She badly wanted to stop loving him, to push the feelings into a dark abyss but they kept coming back with full force.

Not surprisingly, she didn't even know why she loved him. She had every reason not to but as the saying goes 'love conquers all'.

Applying a coat of lipgloss to her succulent lips, she pouted and smiled. At least it was obvious that he was attracted to her she could hold on to that.

It's just lust Kemi.

Maybe not, she thought. Kemi doubted that anyone relished in the fact that the one they loved just lusted after them. Even if anyone did, she certainly did not.

"Ahahn Omo mi (my child) come here let me see you," her father said as she walked down the stairs. Femi was seated with his wife on the sofa in front of the TV, the woman had forced him to watch a rerun of her favorite soap opera. Bisola frowned at her daughter taking in the black gown that clung to her body like a second skin. A huge silver bow substituted for the sleeves as it showcased itself on her left shoulder, the ruffles at the hem of the knee-length gown also added to it's beauty.

Kemi pouted playfully as she twirled a loose tendril. "Mummy what's wrong with my dress?"

"Nothing is wrong my dear," Femi smiled at his daughter and patted his lap obviously happy for the distraction. He was also about to throw up while watching a scene where young Filipino lovers confessed their love for each other.
"Come and sit on your daddy's lap."

Kemi giggled and made herself comfortable on her father's laps, she drew closer, placed her head on his chest and sighed softly as he wrapped his arms around her. Ignoring her mother's look that said 'get off my husband's laps or else', Kemi felt safe in her father's arms. She didn't want to bother them with her problems, they looked so happy sitting here and binge watching useless TV shows.

Her father, a handsome sturdy man edging towards fifty, was wearing a grey t-shirt and black shorts. Her mother was latched onto his arm, wearing his oversized blue shirt and boxers. Kemi knew that her father complained about her mother wearing his clothes but secretly stared at her with admiration when she wasn't looking.

Sometimes she feared that she would never have her parents happily ever after, she had no doubts that if her parents' love story were written into a book it would become a bestseller-that's how beautiful their relationship was.

"The dress is too dull, wear something bright-bright enough to get us a future in law." Kemi groaned but her mother ignored her and turned to her husband, "isn't that right honey?"

"Uh?"

Kemi could see that her father was struggling to hold in his laughter. Her mother could be a drama queen sometimes.

"Mummy I have to leave now before I run late."

"Isn't that good? Late entrance means center of attention, " Bisola laughed and hugged her daughter. "You look great don't mind me." She smiled at Kemi as she drew away.

"Thanks mummy!"

"Curfew is by 11pm."

"I take my thanks back, what am I sixteen?" Kemi queried looking at her mother incredulously.

"No you're a girl, now listen to your mother. Curfew's by 11- no buts," Femi added quickly as Kemi opened her mouth to protest.

"Fine," she said flatly as she gave him a quick hug. She heard her mother shout something about buying suya and shawarma when she stepped out and laughed.

As she stepped into her car, Kemi couldn't help but wonder what the night would bring.

💎💎💎💎

Ada giggled as she told Kemi and Nifemi about her experience with an arrogant sales clerk.

"Well that's just rude!" Kemi exclaimed and Nifemi nodded in approval when Ada finished her sordid tale. The three of them were on a table directly in front of the raised platform at the conference room, it was time for the awards ceremony and Ada was eagerly waiting to receive an award.

"Exactly my point," Ada said and sipped from her drink. They stopped talking and listened with rapt attention as the Manager mounted the stage.

Kemi glanced worriedly at Nifemi who seemed to be engrossed in whatever she was doing with her phone.

"Is everything okay?" Kemi asked and looked away when Nifemi gave her a quick nod.

Awards and applauses later, Kemi had gotten an award for dedicated employee and Ada an award for most social. Kemi laughed as Ada winked at a fuming Nancy that was seated at the edge of the room furiously tapping her fingers on the table. It was not a secret that she had expected to get the award.

Kemi looked at the gold plated award in her hands, it had her name scrawled in black ink. She sighed remembering who had presented it to her, he had given her a small smile before he handed it to her.
"Congratulations Kemi," he had said he voice sounding huskier and sonorous.

Kemi had desperately wanted to slap the arrogant smirk off his face, it pained her to see that their encounter had not affected it as much as it was affecting her.

"And the award for the employee of the year-" Engr Desmond boomed jerking Kemi out if her reverie. "Goes to..." The overweight man paused for a dramatic effect. "Nifemi Smith my wonderful secretary."

The applause drowned out the rest of his unwanted speech. Kemi turned to smile at her friend and noticed that her seat was empty. She was here a while ago, she thought alarmed.

"Where is Nifemi?" Ada asked looking at her empty chair like if rapture had taken place.

'I don't know she was—"

"Nifemi Smith please come up we don't have all night," Engr. Desmond said impatiently. When Ada gave him a sign that she wasn't around, he smiled brightly throwing a joke about keeping the award for himself. The audience laughed and the mirth died down as Kelechi mounted the podium again to give a speech before the actual party would commence.

Kemi fiddled with her silver clutch as she brought out her phone and sent Nifemi a quick text.

Where are you woman!
You just missed your award!
-K

💎💎💎💎

She saw him at a secluded spot in the parking lot immediately she came out of the office complex. Stilling her raging nerves and assuring herself that it was the right thing, Nifemi slowly made her way towards him. She stopped a metres away from him and felt her heart rate increase as he approached her.

"Ifemi," Obinna breathed softly as stood in front of her taking in her lilac gown that made her look regal. He touched her soft cheeks tentatively as if she would disappear at any moment. He had disturbed and spammed her phone with messages begging her to see him- he had missed her badly.

Nifemi drew back quickly, "What do you want from me Obinna!"

"Everything Ifemi." He searched her eyes for an answer. When he didn't find any, he took her arm gently and drew her towards his car.

Nifemi watched him in a daze, she didn't realize that she had missed him this much. All those years that she had admired him, often craving for his attention-the rich proud boy in a leather jacket. The typical cliche bad boy. She had finally gotten his attention, his love, his everything and had ended up pregnant at nineteen. She drew away from him when they got to where his car was parked.

"Where are we going?" Nifemi asked ignoring his questioning look. Gone are those days when he could make her do anything and everything he wanted.

"We need to talk my love."

She raised a well plucked eyebrow, "about?"

"About us," he folded his arms across his broad chest showing off his fair muscular arms. "About everything."

Nifemi swallowed and looked away, she couldn't deny the fact that he looked dashing in his white shirt and black pants. His curly hair looked like if it had a feud with hair combs as always. His one sided dimple taunted her as he tighten his lips into a thin line while observing her. Nifemi remembered bitterly when she used to poke his dimple when he got her annoyed.

Putting the memories away, she answered, "There's nothing to-"

"I spoke to Ikenna," he said dryly cutting off her protest. Her eyes widened as she studied him, he wasn't lying she concluded.

She exhaled shakily. "What.. what did he say?"

"Nothing much," he shrugged. "Apparently he doesn't know you were pregnant." He looked at her with his soft brown eyes that shone with unasked questions and continued, "I found out about Tobi too."

Nifemi coughed, 'What?!"

He chuckled, "I told you I have my sources. I want you back Oluwanifemi. The three of you, I promise you that I'll take care of them, of you." He reached out and cupped her face in his hands, "of us. I'll take care of us Ifemi." He sighed as she drew back guilt written all over her beautiful face.

"I can't Obinna. I failed you, he's not your son no matter how hard you-"

"I don't care," Obinna gritted his teeth furiously. "Nifemi you're still the woman I fell in love with back then in school. We might have made some mistakes but we can't and won't regret it, we can't regret having Kikelomo."

Nifemi laughed sardonically, "Kikelomo? You don't even know her. You left remember-when she was two. You left us with my parents Obinna, you know how disgusted my family was with me for getting pregnant at nineteen. You left without-"

"Ifemi please! Let's talk about that-about why I left." He paused and raked his hands through his curly brown hair. "I was tired of being under my father's shadow Ifemi. I was tired of being told what to do and I wish I could turn back the hands of time and be there for you and our little girl but I wasn't comfortable grovelling at my dad's feet unlike my brother." He stopped when he noticed that she had turned away.

"My love please, I wanted a better life for the both of us," he stated and held her waist drawing her closer to himself. "Look at me," he pleaded using his fingers to push up her face. "I love you Oluwanifemi."

"Don't say that please," Nifemi said feeling hot tears roll down her cheeks.

"But I do, I do mean it." He pressed his lips against hers gently. Sighing softly, Nifemi succumbed to his butterfly kisses as she partly her lips and welcomed the taste of mint on his tongue. She flared her nostrils taking in his masculine scent as he thrust his tongue slowly in and out of her mouth pressing hard against her. She moaned softly as she felt his hands crawl down her back slowly almost as if he was punishing her.

I have missed you Obi, she thought.

Her phone beeped a little too loudly causing her to jump away from him. She searched her black mini bag blinding as she read the message- it was from Kemi.

"Nifemi don't go," Obinna said as she turned to leave, his voice husky from their make out session.

Nifemi felt her tears pour out in torrents, she couldn't help it he was too good, too perfect for her. He deserved better.

"I'm sorry Obinna. We chose our own paths a long time ago. We're different we've always been different. I'm so sorry." She wiped her tears carelessly and groaned as she realized that she had probably ruined her make up. "Obinna you don't owe me anything." She glanced up at him, his expression was that of pain as he took in everything she said. Good, she thought. It was for the best.

As she turned to leave, she heard his deep voice call out behind her;

"You can't push me away for long Ifemi. I love you and even the devil knows you love me too."

Hello good people!

Did you enjoy this chapter? Or you just miss Nnamdi? *Wiggles eyebrows*

If you have noticed, I have already started editing slowly. I hope you like it. 😊

Thanks to Pwaizieey and corliss_b for pointing out few things in the last chapters. I love you.
I love you all. ❤❤❤

Swipe up or to the right for chapter 18 *depends on ya settings, I prefer up tho* issa double update.

Happy reading,
Sky_teddy✌

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54.1K 1.7K 9
HEAVILY UNDER EDITING. COPYRIGHT 2018 ~~Yusrah~~ After the death of my mom ,I thought I was alone no one to be by my side then I met this man who mov...
11.3K 2.2K 57
(NOT EDITED) "I will not be surprised if one day you tell me that you're in love with him" kemi says What this mumu saying now? "yeah sure when pigs...
100K 2.6K 43
"Shh... I'll teach you.... I'll teach you to love me.... you will learn... you will learn to be mine..." She sat still on his lap accepting her fate...
21.4K 2K 45
"You want to have sex with me? Just sex, nothing else attached?" "Is it so bad? Don't you want me too?" Chike's eyes were focused on her and she coul...