The Fight For Love

By LonelyArtist01

Nazi Germany. World War II. Chaos and destruction lingering around each and every corner. These are dangerous... More

1939, March 23
1939, September 1
1941, September 7
1942, January 18
1946, May 14

1941, April 28

45 0 0
By LonelyArtist01

Madam Klein led Carla over to a group of well-dressed young women and introduced her to them.

"Dear ladies, I am here to introduce you to my distant niece Ms Carla Richter." The ladies all stood, a short brunette girl extending her hand.

"Ms Carla it is truly a pleasure. I am Zoe Schmidt, and this is Sofia Schulz and Gretta Fischer." She gestured to the blue-eyed blond and the girl next to her with red hair and green eyes. The blond spoke next, "We are very happy to have you here, we promise to take the very best care of you." As she was taught, Carla smiled politely and sat in the spare seat next to Sofia. Madam Klein nodded her head in approval and left Carla with the Polish girls.

"So Carla, what brings you to this side of Poland?" The red-haired girl Gretta spoke, making Carla feel very nervous. But after all if she was going to survive, she would have to learn to adapt.

"Well my mother died when I was very young, and my father is so busy with the war effort that it has become incredibly lonely at my home of late." Carla shortly realised she was anxiously fidgeting with her hands, so she placed them both on the top of her clutch that lay on her lap. She did her best to engage in conversation.

"We will do our best to make you feel at home while you are here, until the war is won." Carla tried her best to smile, how could you wish for such things when it was the German Army who ruined her life to begin with.

"I really appreciate that Gretta, and you too Sofia and Zoe. Your hospitality is deeply appreciated." Just at that moment, a group of young gentlemen entered the room. Two of them very much alike; one with black hair and one with brown, the brown-haired man a little shorter than his peer. Sofia chirps into explanation.

"So, the black-haired boy there is Elias Hoffman and the shorter one next to him, that's Jonas Muller." She squeaks with excitement at the mention of the second boy, which confused Carla quite some amount. And clearly it showed.

"Sorry dear I'll explain the details; Elias Hoffman is Sofia's current boyfriend, hence the... excitement of sorts." Zoe twirled a loose brown curl around her finger smirking at Sofia, who blushed immensely before rushing over to her partner. Whilst they were talking, Carla did not see a third gentleman enter the room. As she turned toward the window she saw him, he had deep brown eyes, his hair a shade of mousey blond. And he was looking straight at her, she smiled politely as quickly looked away not wanting to attract unnecessary attention. Turning back to the table she saw both Zoe and Gretta staring wide-eyed at her, eyebrows raised.

"You've been here only a few minutes and already you're getting eyes from Henri Brandt." Carla looked to her right once more, to find this Henri still staring at her. He smirked and walked to find himself a drink. Not knowing what to make of the situation, or exactly why it was such a big deal, she shrugged her shoulders slightly.

"And?" Zoe laughed.

"And? Carla, Henri Brandt is the most eligible bachelor there is here, every girl wants him." Gretta sighed.

"Yet no matter how many of us try, none of us can get his attention. Even if we are screaming at him, he wouldn't bat an eyelid. Yet you walk in and suddenly he can't take his eyes off you, you must be special indeed." Feeling slightly flustered, Carla dismissed the suggestion.

"It is only because I am new here I am sure, give it a week and he'll forget I exist I assure you." However, Carla realised as she was talking that the girls' focus had shifted to someone coming from behind her. She turned a little to the left, to find a figure standing beside her.

"Ladies, how are we this fine afternoon?" The two girls smiled as the young man sat beside them both, where Sofia was sitting moments before.

"Quite well thank you Henri, as you may have noticed we have a guest with us. Henri, this is Carla Richter. She is visiting from the far side of Poland." Carla smiled and nodded her head once.

"Welcome then by all means, to the other far side of Poland. I trust you will be attending the party this evening?" At once the two ladies began chuckling and cooing about how it is 'simply divine' and how she 'must attend'. Carla smiled politely once more.

"I'm afraid I am awfully out of sorts from my journey, and my dear Aunt has asked me to help her this evening, so I am terribly sorry that I won't be attending." The girls begin to whinge, "and besides, I have nothing to wear."

...

"Well then, how did it go?" Madam Klein was in the kitchen, preparing supper.

"Rather well I think. The ladies are lovely and polite, but quite eccentric which will take some getting used to." Madam Klein laughed.

"Yes indeed, but they are good company to keep. Their families are highly recognised in this town, they will keep your reputation clean of suspicion that's for sure."

"They offered me to a party tonight, but I declined." The knife hit the table.

"Dear child why would you do something so foolish?" Carla stood back, bewildered with confusion.

"What do you mean I was protecting myself, one thing to rehearse small public conversation but another to be thrown into a party setting. I fear I will expose myself instantly." Madam Klein walked over and look both of Carla's hands in hers.

"Have faith in yourself Carla, you can handle this. If I felt that you couldn't you would still be living under the floorboards." Carla felt touched this is expression of confidence Madam Klein had for her. But there was still one issue.

"I haven't anything to wear." Madam clicked her tongue and rushed off into her room. She came back with a navy-blue dress and a charcoal trench jacket. She ushered Carla into the sitting room to try it on. It fit her rather nicely, hiding the fact she was skinnier and taller than most other women. After doing her hair, Madam Klein slipped a jewelled necklace around her neck. Once her work was done she clasped her hands together proudly.

"Beautiful!" Madam Klein exclaimed. Carla smiled.

"Polish." She said in reply.

At the party, Carla was greeted by her new Polish friends and together they made their way to the drinks and buffet table. Together they all gently swayed to the music, when Henri made his way through the crowd.

"Ms Richter, may I have this dance." Carla smiled but inside she was terrified.

"That is awfully thoughtful of you, but I am afraid I don't dance." Henri laughed.

"I'll teach you. Just until the end of this number." He extended his hand, and to escape the glares from Zoe and Gretta she took it and was swept off onto the dance floor. She tried to move as fluently as she could, but she kept staring at her feet. Henri chuckled. "You know it doesn't make much sense, but I find that the easiest way to dance is to look into the eyes of the person in front of you." Carla thought he was right, it made no sense at all.

"But how am I supposed to know where to put my feet?" Carla could feel herself panicking, this was all very new to her.

"Just flow with the music and let me lead you, but most importantly," he taps her gently under the chin to get her attention, "relax." Carla takes a deep breath in allows herself to relax, letting her anxiety float away. She looked into Henri's eyes, she could feel her cheeks grow hot. He was indeed very handsome, his dark eyes and firm jawline the most distinct features of his face. But it was more than that, there was something in those eyes of his that was kind, tranquil, it made her feel safe and calm. He spun her around, her eyes locking onto his when she spun back, not a footstep out of place. "See," Henri exclaimed, "you're a natural!" They danced for a couple moments longer and the song ended, Carla guiltily admitted to herself that she was rather disappointed. She went back to Zoe and Gretta, Sofia watching as well with a confused pout.

"Since when are you and Henri together? How did I miss this?" Sofia comes over with her pout, her arms crossed. However, she loses composure fairly quickly and bursts into a fit of giggles. Zoe leans over.

"If you weren't so busy battling your eyes at Jonas you might have noticed that Henri was sitting with us yesterday afternoon?" Sofia's eyes widened.

"What! The Henri Brandt sitting at our table! Well I never..." She ponders for a moment before Jonas comes over and pulls her off to dance. Carla begins to feel the adrenaline wear off, now feeling quite fatigued.

"I will be off now ladies, quite tired from all this excitement." Carla dismissed herself politely. Gretta looks sideways at her.

"I don't think someone wants you to leave." Carla spots Henri on the far side of the room making his way towards her, as she makes her away towards the door.

"Leaving so soon are we?" Carla smiles.

"Indeed I am shattered, best call it a day." She does for the door, Henri blocks it.

"Well, might I at least escort you home?"

"That is awfully kind thankyou but I will be alright, I wouldn't want you to miss all the fun."

"Ah this party is dull and tired, I would much rather have your company than this lot." Carla laughs shortly, glancing around to see if anyone else heard her. Finally, she gives in.

"Alright then, if you insist." Together the walk down the quiet streets in the night, with the mere lamp-post to light their way. They talk for some time. Henri explains how he and the rest of his family are German, but they moved to Poland when he was only a young boy, so he remembers nothing of his home. And when the German came for Poland, his father and brother were sent off into the war, leaving him and his mother behind. Whilst talking, Carla grows curious.

"I must ask, why do you take such an interest in me?" Henri raised his eyebrows. "The ladies I met today; Gretta, Zoe, and Sofia, the all said they you seemed to take no interest in women. Is it because I'm the new shiny toy of the town?" Henri stopped.

"I like you, you're different from the other Polish girls around here. All giggly and battling their eyes at every man they see. But you, you are different. You aren't phased by the attentions of others." He smirks, "I guess I like a challenge."

...

They arrived at Madam Klein's house some time later.

"Who was that outside?" She sat upon the chair watching the fireplace flicker.

"Ah, his name is Henri Brandt. I met him earlier today, and he was there at the party this evening. He offered to escort me home which I thought was... thoughtful." Madam Klein's face went stern.

"Careful there Carla, the last thing I want is for you to get attached."

"Yes of course, Madam Klein. But he seems friendly, and I've heard is family have a high reputation in the council. He seems like good company to keep don't you think?" Madam Klein thought for a moment.

"I suppose you are right, the Brandt's are highly esteemed in society. Just be wary to not get too involved, it could put us both in hot water." Carla smiled.

"I will proceed with the upmost caution, thankyou Madam Klein."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.6M 291K 96
RANKED #1 CUTE #1 COMEDY-ROMANCE #2 YOUNG ADULT #2 BOLLYWOOD #2 LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT #3 PASSION #7 COMEDY-DRAMA #9 LOVE P.S - Do let me know if you...
419K 12.6K 37
The Sokolov brothers are everything most girls want. Intimidating, tall, broody, they are everything to lust after. Not that they... particularly car...
1.3M 67.6K 59
π’πœπžπ§π­ 𝐨𝐟 π‹π¨π―πžγ€’ππ² π₯𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐑𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐒𝐞𝐬 γ€ˆπ›π¨π¨π€ 1〉 π‘Άπ’‘π’‘π’π’”π’Šπ’•π’†π’” 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒇𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒂𝒕𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒄𝒕 ✰|| 𝑺𝒕𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒂 𝑴�...
584K 48.7K 23
Indian Chronicles Book III My Husband, My Tyrant. When Peace Becomes Suffocation. Jahnvi Khanna has everything in her life, a supporting family, a hi...