𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓚𝓲𝓷𝓰'𝓼 𝓡𝓸𝓼𝓮

Od Aislinn_Woods

"Have you ever loved anyone?" his tone was serious. "Love has many forms. I loved my mother and father..." I... Více

Cast
Chapter One: The Windsor Regimen
Chapter Two: You Are The Worst
Chapter Three: Interrogation
Chapter Four: Not Quite So Bad
Chapter Five: Consequences
Chapter Six: A Change In Stature
Chapter Seven: The Rules
Chapter Eight: Your Fault
Chapter Nine: A Winter's Ball
Chapter Ten: Her Ladyship
Chapter Eleven: The Night Goes On
Chapter Twelve: Broken Trust
Chapter Thirteen: History
Chapter Fourteen: Attention
Chapter Fifteen: Incapable Of Love
Chapter Sixteen: Trust
Chapter Seventeen: Scars of The Past
Chapter Eighteen: The Lady and The Baron
Chapter Nineteen: Ivywood Estate
Chapter Twenty: Go Home
Chapter Twenty-One: The Letter
Chapter Twenty-Two: Betrothed
Chapter Twenty-Three: Motives
Chapter Twenty-Four: Shot
Chapter Twenty-Five: Aftermath
Chapter Twenty-Six: Weddingbells
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Flowers
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Coward
Chapter Twenty-Nine: News
Chapter Thirty: Blue
Chapter Thirty-Two: Quiet
Chapter Thirty-Three: A Sixpence Poorer
Chapter Thirty-Four: The Rest Of My Life
Chapter Thirty-Five: With This Ring
Chapter Thirty-Six: A Father
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Who Lives, Who Dies

Chapter Thirty-One: Death Doesn't Discriminate

776 35 24
Od Aislinn_Woods

.•° ✿ °•.

"Guy." Darwin smiled, and I knew the effort pained him.

"Guy? Of all the names you could choose, you think we should name the cat Guy?" I laughed, placing a cool cloth on his forehead as he let out a cough.

"I-I think it's cute." he struggled to speak between deep breaths of air, "I h-had a frog named Guy once."

"A frog?"

"I found him in the garden. He was getting attacked by a bird. But Guy was a tough frog. He lost a leg but I still saved him. He was my best friend. Even better than Dot. But don't tell her."

"What happened to him?" I inquired.

"He got ran over by that stupid Princes Clara's carriage."

"Shame I never met him." I smiled.

"Yeah, he'd have liked you. Anyways, I think its a good name. Because it means you're strong." he stated.

"It's perfect." I stood up, making my way to the table to get the cup of tea that Anne had left Darwin.

"Rosie?" he whispered from his bed.

"Yeah?" I turned back.

"Am I... Am I going to die?" my heart sunk as he asked it.

"I don't know what to tell you..." and it was true, I couldn't say no, and I very well couldn't say yes, "Other than that I'm going to do everything I possibly can to make sure you don't."

"But it's almost been a week," he paused to release a cough, "How much longer will I be this way?"

"Tiring of my company already?" I teased him.

"No!" he shook his head, "I just want to get out of bed. I want to play again. I want to ride my horsey again."

"You will as soon as you get better." I assured him.

"But what if I don't?" he asked, but I couldn't answer.

After all, that was the question that had haunted the minds of everyone at the palace. What if the twins didn't get better? I glanced over at Dot, who'd at last managed to fall asleep, before standing up.

"I'm stepping out for a moment Darwin. Only a moment." I said, making my way to the door.

"Rosie?" I turned to face him.

"Yes Darwin?" I said as my chest tightened, and tears threatened to spill.

"I love you." he said softly, "Just thought I should say it, you know in case..."

"I love you too. So much." I answered, before turning back to the door.

As soon as I'd shut the door, I sunk to the floor, as the tears started to pour out. I covered my mouth, effectively silencing my sobs. Minutes inched by as I cried a seemingly endless amount of tears. Suddenly, there was a hand on my shoulder, and I looked up to see Anne. She lowered herself to the ground beside me, taking my hand and giving it a sympathetic but weak squeeze. Ever since the twins had fallen ill last week, Anne and I had spent every waking moment tending to them, hoping beyond hope that our help might make the difference between life and death.

"It's ironic, really..." Anne said, breaking the silence.

"What is?" I wiped the tears from my eyes.

"That my two kids - The only family I have left - Would be taken by the same disease that took their father so long ago." she shook her head.

"Their father?" I asked.

"Yes. His name was David. He was a tailor, and worked from home, so while I lived in the castle working for the King, he and the children stayed home. Of course, I made sure to visit everyday that I could, and even then, it never felt like enough." she sighed, shaking her head, "One day... I came home to find him on the floor, out of breath and half dead, the kids leaning over him in a panic. I called for the doctor, and was informed that it was diptheria, that I should say goodbye before it was too late. And of course I, being the naive woman I was, denied it, tried all that I could to make sure he would survive it. But he didn't. I'd have done well to heed the doctor's advice, and said goodbye before it was too late, because soon enough, it was too late. When he died, I was lost. The only thing that kept me sane was my responsibility to my kids, to their safety. I moved them in with me at the palace at the King's allowance, tried to escape my past, to put it behind me... But it seems as though it is only repeating itself." she scoffed.

"Anne, they've not yet been claimed by the illness." I said.

"Not yet. But they will be. Just like their father." she responded somewhat distantly, before standing.

"Anne." I said, standing up and facing her, "I'll always be here for you, and your children, because I love you as though you're my family, because that's just what you are."

"I... Thank you, Rose. Thank you for what you're doing for my kids, for me. I love you too." she pulled me into a tight hug, before re-entering the room.

I knew I couldn't bring myself to follow her, to see the twins in their current state, and so I turned down the hall, making my way to my bedroom for the evening. I entered the room to find it empty, George was probably up late doing work again. I sighed, making my way to the balcony and leaning against the rail for support as I felt my legs waver. How much longer would this go on? I didn't know how much more I could handle. I tried to take in a deep breath but found that I couldn't. I reached for my throat as I struggled to breathe. It felt as though someone was strangling me. I stepped back, falling to the ground as I began to slip out of consciousness. And suddenly, all there was, was darkness.

I couldn't be sure what happened after that, all I knew was that I felt horrible when I finally woke. I was drenched in a cold sweat, and my throat felt scratchy and sore. I tried to breathe in, only managing a short breath as I winced in pain. I surveyed the room, finding George sitting in a chair beside the bed, watching me intently with tears in his eyes.

"W-What happened?" I asked with great difficulty.

"You caught it. You got sick." he shook his head, taking my hand in his.

"I d-did? I'm going to die, then, aren't I?" I spluttered.

"No, Rose... It's been two days, it's starting to go away." he assured me.

"Two days!? How are the twins? Are they alright?" I asked all at once, and my heart sunk as I felt George's grip falter, "What? Please... Tell me they're alright!"

"I'm so sorry Rose..." he spoke softly, as a stray tear escaped from the corner of his eye.

"What. Happened." I said forcefully, willing George to meet my gaze.

"Darwin didn't make it." he responded.

"N-No..." I let my head fall back against the pillow as silent tears poured down my face.

Darwin was gone. He'd died - The illness had got him. I couldn't believe it, I relayed what Goerge had said again and again and each time the reality hit harder and harder. How was Anne taking the news? And Dot? How would we move past this? I didn't even deserve to move past this! I'd gotten the illness too, why had I lived, when Darwin - such a young thoughtful and sweet boy - died?

"How is everyone else? Anne, and Dot?" I asked, my voice shaking.

"Dot's better, she got better Rose." he said, avoiding my gaze.

"And Anne? Is she alright?"

"Rose..." he turned his head away from me, struggling to contain his tears, "Rose, she caught it too. Sh-she's gone."

The news hit me with the force of a hurricane. I felt everything crash and burn. Hadn't I lost enough? And Dot... She was all alone. She had no one. Why did God play with our lives in such a cruel and twisted manner? And then I turned to face George, my heart stopping as I watched the silent tears cascade down his face. In all the commotion, thinking about nothing but the twins' safety, I'd completely ignored him. He'd just lost Anne, the closest thing to a mother he'd ever had. I reached out, squeezing his hand as we both wept silently. The sound of the door creaking open drew my attention, and I turned to see Dot, eyes watery, rimmed with red blotches.

"R-Rosie." she balled, running across the room and jumping into my arms, burying her face in my chest.

I hugged her close, my arms shaking. No. She wasn't alone. I would always be there for her, whenever she needed me, because as I'd said to Anne the last time I'd ever see her, she was family. And we, as a family, would push through this, together.

"I love you." I whispered in her ear, but she didn't hear it over the sound of her sobs.

°•. ✿ .•°

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

12.2K 365 22
Alexander Hamilton and Eliza Schuyler are the exact opposite of each other. Though they have their differences, their love prevails. Alexander Hamil...
18.9K 774 30
1789: Thomas Jefferson returns from France and meets Alexander Hamilton for the first time. It's hatred at first sight, but it will eventually change...
50.1K 949 28
Love has always felt like a lie. Everyone who's gotten their heartbroken by someone who "loved"them can agree. Have you ever been asked if you belie...
8.1K 2.3K 158
"You lied to me! And that sorry stunt at the Cafeteria during lunch last week was just to woe me then you could use and dump! Here I was thinking we...