𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓚𝓲𝓷𝓰'𝓼 𝓡𝓸𝓼𝓮

By Aislinn_Woods

"Have you ever loved anyone?" his tone was serious. "Love has many forms. I loved my mother and father..." I... More

Cast
Chapter One: The Windsor Regimen
Chapter Two: You Are The Worst
Chapter Three: Interrogation
Chapter Four: Not Quite So Bad
Chapter Five: Consequences
Chapter Six: A Change In Stature
Chapter Seven: The Rules
Chapter Eight: Your Fault
Chapter Nine: A Winter's Ball
Chapter Ten: Her Ladyship
Chapter Eleven: The Night Goes On
Chapter Twelve: Broken Trust
Chapter Thirteen: History
Chapter Fourteen: Attention
Chapter Fifteen: Incapable Of Love
Chapter Seventeen: Scars of The Past
Chapter Eighteen: The Lady and The Baron
Chapter Nineteen: Ivywood Estate
Chapter Twenty: Go Home
Chapter Twenty-One: The Letter
Chapter Twenty-Two: Betrothed
Chapter Twenty-Three: Motives
Chapter Twenty-Four: Shot
Chapter Twenty-Five: Aftermath
Chapter Twenty-Six: Weddingbells
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Flowers
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Coward
Chapter Twenty-Nine: News
Chapter Thirty: Blue
Chapter Thirty-One: Death Doesn't Discriminate
Chapter Thirty-Two: Quiet
Chapter Thirty-Three: A Sixpence Poorer
Chapter Thirty-Four: The Rest Of My Life
Chapter Thirty-Five: With This Ring
Chapter Thirty-Six: A Father
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Who Lives, Who Dies

Chapter Sixteen: Trust

1K 41 6
By Aislinn_Woods

.•° ✿ °•.

My eyes flickered open, and I squinted against the light of the morning sun, glaring through the window. It took only a moment for me to realize that I wasn't in my room. My heart rate sped up as I sat up, looking around, panicked. Suddenly, the closet door opened, and the King came out, wearing an open button-up shirt. I looked away, as my face was instantaneously consumed by an intense blush. Why was I in the King's bed? What in God's name had happened last night?

"Good morning." the King said, and without even looking at him, I could tell he was smirking.

"You're enjoying keeping me in dark, aren't you?" I asked, my voice reflecting how flustered I was.

"What ever do you mean, darling?" he asked, feigning an air of obliviousness.

"Why am I here?" I demanded, still refusing to look at him.

"Well, after you so rudely took it upon yourself to fall asleep on me," he began taking a seat on the opposite side of the bed, "I figured you'd prefer me to move you inside, rather than let you sleep in the garden."

"Why did you bring me here, and not to my own room?"

"That sounds awfully ungrateful, you should be thanking me for taking you in at all, when I could have so easily left you." he said, pretending to be offended.

"I'm sorry, you are right, thank you." I spoke softly.

"Do my ears deceive me, or did Rosalie Alcott just thank me while fully awake?" he whispered, leaning in beside my ear.

I jumped at this, shuffling away from him, only to fall on the floor. I winced as my head hit the cold wooden floorboards. After regaining my composure, I sat up, facing him, only to find a wide proud-of-himself smirk on his face.

"I only thanked you the other night for not pressing me for answers, that's all." I said flatly.

"If you insist." he replied smugly.

"Nothing questionable happened last night... Did it?" I asked hesitantly, avoiding the King's gaze.

"Perhaps..." he drawled.

"What? Qu'est-ce que ça veut dire!?" I exclaimed, my head whipping around to face the King.

"Nothing happened, dear," he laughed, before switching to a more serious tone, "Did you wish something had?"

"No! No, no, of course not!" I sputtered, standing, "I must go... Goodbye."

Before the King had a chance to make another remark, I fled from the room. In a panicked frenzy, I made my way back to my own room, shutting the door behind me before sinking down to the ground. How could I have let that happen? What had happened to being careful around the King? Falling asleep on him surely wasn't the ideal way to go about it! And spending the night in the same bed as him!? The thought made a blush creep up into my face for what felt like the hundredth time that day. I would just have to avoid him. If I could avoid him for long enough, we would eventually forget about all that had happened these past few days, and all of the feelings that came with them would subside.

However, avoiding him became a very hard task, harder than before, as he was now actively trying to find me whenever he had the chance. I soon became familiar with all of the castle's hiding spots, as I had to put them to use every day. A little over a week passed by, and I'd succeeded in avoiding the King the entire time. One morning, though, I woke up, and the King was the furthest thing from my mind. Today was the day Samuel would return. I hopped out of bed, readying myself hastily, eager to see my friend. I raced through the halls and to the front doors, but stopped in my tracks when I saw the King standing there, a smile on his face. He'd known I would be there, he was waiting for me.

My breath hitched as a carriage pulled up to the front doors, and I hid behind some pillars. Samual got out and was greeted by all of his friends, and I willed myself to stay hidden, I would greet Sam later.

"Where's Rose?" he asked, looking around.

"I imagine she's hiding somewhere." the King replied, causing Samuel to raise a brow.

"I'll explain in a moment, if you would follow me, please, I've some matters to discuss with you." the King ushered Sam to follow him.

I scoffed. Why hadn't I worked up the nerve to approach them? It wasn't as though the King would do anything in front of a crowd... Would he? I shook the thoughts from my mind before reentering the castle. I wondered how long the King would be speaking to Samuel, I wished to greet him.

"Rosalie?" I turned to see Trinity making her way towards me, "Where were you?"

"I was just late, and... I, uh, missed him." I quickly answered.

"Okay, well do you have any time to talk? Its urgent." she said, looking about, in a panic.

"Of course. What do you need?"

"Not here."

A few moments later we were in a secluded study in the castle's West Wing. Trinity seemed somewhat panicked after I again inquired into what she wished to speak about.

"It's... Well, it's Samuel. We've been exchanging letters these past few weeks, and, well... I've begun to feel something for him." she said, looking away.

"Feel something..?" I urged her to continue, a smile growing on my face.

"Something more than friendship," she concluded, "I need your help, you two are close, what does he think of me?"

"That's not my place to say, though I will encourage you to speak with him about it." I replied.

"Alright. You're right, I have to work up the nerve to speak with him." she nodded her head, "Thank you, Rose. And, just know, that I'm here for you, too, you know, in case you need to speak about the-"

"That's fine, I'm doing well at present." I interrupted, blushing.

"Are you?"

"... No. Not really. I'm really conflicted over my... feelings towards the King." I said dejectedly, as Trinity's face lit up, "What?"

"You just admitted to having feelings for the King!" she exclaimed, a large smile plastered across her face.

"I did not!" I argued.

"Just now, you most definitely did!"

"I was simply referring to the feelings, or rather, emotions I was experiencing in relation to the King. Not actual romantic feelings! Nothing like that!" I finished, mortified.

"Whatever you say..." she teased, before resuming a serious tone, "Anyways, will you tell me what the problem is?"

"I don't know if I can tell you-"

"Rose. I am your friend. You may talk to me, and trust me with your secrets. It's not as though I would go blurting them out around the castle, would I? Do you think so little of me that I would betray your trust like that, I thought I was-"

"I kissed the King." I blurted out.

"Pardon?" Trinity looked taken aback.

"Rather, he kissed me, but I didn't pull away, at least not at first." I refused to meet Trinity's gaze.

"Well then, what is there to be confused about? He kissed you, Rose. You both feel something towards each other, so I think that you should take your own advice, and speak with him about it." she folded her arms.

"I-I can't, it's more complicated, I-I don't full well trust him yet, and I can't love someone I don't trust, and I don't know if I will ever trust him." I said, before shaking my head, "Anyways, I'm fine with keeping our relationship as is. Is there anything else you wanted?"

"Rose..."

"No then? I'll be seeing you later Trinity." I exited the room, shutting the door behind me before releasing an exasperated breath.

Samuel should be finished with the King by now, I could look about for him. I made my way through the halls, at last seeing the familiar man, nose stuck in a book, as usual. I crept up behind him, engulfing him in a hug.

"Rose!" he smiled as soon as his eyes met mine, and he returned my embrace.

"How was America? You'll have to tell me all about it!" I urged him.

"Well, I'd hoped to get some fresh air, do you mind if we step out onto the balcony?" he gestured to the living room's glass doors leading out to the balcony.

"Of course." I said, noting his somewhat guilty demeanour.

I opened the balcony door, breathing in the fresh evening air, before turning to Sam. I frowned, when I saw him close and lock the doors, himself still inside. He mouthed the words I'm sorry, and then turned away, leaving me confused, and standing alone on the balcony.

"I fear I have a confession to make," my heart rate accelerated, as I turned to spot the King on the far side of the balcony, "That day, when you asked why I had you moved to the castle? I lied."

"You - You what?" I paused, confused.

"Rosalie, you had me wrapped around your finger the very moment we met. You intrigue me, you make me laugh, you keep me guessing, and... And wanting." he trailed off, allowing a subtle smile to grace his features, "I couldn't allow what had happened with Christain to repeat itself, I had to.. Protect you."

"Don't let it trouble you," I began, ignoring my compulsive instinct to bottle up, "I lied that evening too. I loved someone before... They died. And it was my fault."

"Is that what troubles you at night?" he asked as my head sank, "You needn't feel afraid to tell me about your past, my love."

"I fear you'll hate me." I looked away, ashamed.

"I could never." he held my hands, and I didn't pull them away, instead just keeping my gaze on anything but the King, before speaking.

"I killed the only woman who ever cared for me. The closest thing to a mother I'd ever had."

°•. ✿ .•°

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8K 78 23
(DISCONTINUED!!) When I also turn to look at the window, I see a gorgeous woman with her hair down, wearing a sultry red dress and she had red lipsti...
116K 4.6K 27
"Lieutenant, speak when spoken to-" He choked when he got a glimpse of my face. "Yes, George?" "W-What in all things holy are you in military attire...
50.1K 949 28
Love has always felt like a lie. Everyone who's gotten their heartbroken by someone who "loved"them can agree. Have you ever been asked if you belie...
33.4K 1K 13
NO LONGER BEING WRITTEN "It was just one dinner. But I suppose that's all it takes to fall in love." (Not 100% historically accurate I know Jonathan...