A Drop Of Petrichor [Complete]

By AimmyB

Sometimes all the parched valley of heart needs is a drop of Petrichor. Noor Fatimah hasn't had it easy but s... More

Before You Start
Character Aesthetics
A Glimpse
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36 [Last]
Epilogue
Thank You Note
Bonus # 1
Bonus # 2
Bonus # 3
Bonus # 4
News
A snippet and a thank you
From me to you, all the love

Chapter 18

10.3K 947 933
By AimmyB

The day of the event was nothing short of busy. Not only for Noor but everyone who was associated with H & D. Ms Rameen was giving them all instructions on how they were going to approach people in the event telling them about the lives kids and women in few areas are forced to live. She was an avid worker for the organisation. Zirwa's whole clan was. Noor hadn't thought she could feel more respect towards these people but she did. They were doing so much for lives which were not their own. People who had no connection to them. Just a thread of humanity holding them together and Zirwa and her family was holding onto that thread with smiling faces and kind eyes.

Noor was sitting outside of the hall where the event was scheduled to take place. Her eyes were roaming on the faced ahead. Zirwa and Wahab were going through the guests list once more. Ms Rameen was instructing the event manager about the arrangements. She could see many others as well whom she didn't know.

That very moments she felt a responsibility she had never felt before. This was her chance of making someone's life better. If she could collect the amount of money they needed for the school, she knew the girls back home would be so happy. They wanted education. They cherished it. And Noor was going to win it for them. It was her promise to herself.

____________________________________

"You know what? I think I should've stayed home."

The car was running smoothly on the road along with the smooth conversation. The topic was the usual. Sports. And Abeer was as usual, bored.

Her complaint plucked no response from Haseeb and Rohail who were both immersed in a heated discussion over the latest football game. Rayyan who had tuned out the conversation long back smiled at her grumpy expressions.

He was smiling a lot lately. Specially when his siblings were around. But each time his lips curled up, he felt a tug on his heart strings. Even having his people around him couldn't make him forget the fact that there was bigger part of him with someone else.

And that someone had no clue.

He shook his head and turned to Abeer who was watching him curiously now. Much to his relief, Rohail had told him Abeer had no clue about her oldest brother's love life. Or lack thereof. But Rayyan knew his sister was good at joining the dots. She would soon figure it out on her own without having the need to eavesdrop on any conversation the way Rohail did.

"Are you okay, Bhai?"

She asked checking his face for any kind of discomfort. Was it that evident? The melancholy Noor's thoughts brought into him was that much present on his face? If it was, then he was really in for an interrogation from his sister.

"Yeah, I'm good. As much bored with the conversation as you are."

He whispered looking ahead. He was in the backseat with Abeer while Haseeb was behind the wheel and Rohail sat relaxed and very much chatty in the front seat.

"Why do I feel that there's something you are trying to hide? Not only from me but the whole world?"

He was right. She had seen through his facade of pushing his worries to the blank corner of his mind for a night.

"Why do you think so?"

"Question for a question. I do not like it. But yeah. It's no rocket science. I've been seeing the obvious signs and I never thought asking you was a good thing but now we are past that awkward phase, aren't we? So can I ask you what's bothering you?"

She had an idea since his very first day in the hospital that something was up with him. There was a deeper meaning to his change of mind for the world and she had always wanted to know. But there was a fear in her. A fear that he might shut her out and all the progress they'd made would go down the drain. She didn't want to press. She knew if he liked, he would tell her what was the matter with him but right now, sitting in the car with him, she could see his facade was more evident than ever. What it was, she couldn't pinpoint but tonight her brother was more distraught.

He sighed and rested his head against the seat.

"You really wanna know?"

He asked honestly. Abeer frowned. Both didn't notice the conversation at the front of the car was totally stopped now. As both Rohail and Haseeb were now tuned into the conversation between the siblings.

"It means there is something wrong isn't it? Oh God! What it is?"

"Don't you guys think it's quite a bad timing for siblings heart to heart? I mean we have an event to get to."

Haseeb's voice held the air of nonchalance but Rayyan knew he was trying drop the subject. He knew it was Rayyan's point of fall. Where he would drop anything and close himself off just to draw himself in the plethora of What Ifs.

"I think I should know. Don't try to be smart here. "

Abeer had seen through Haseeb's attempt who just huffed in reply and focused back on driving.

Rohail was silent. It wasn't his place to tell Abeer what was wrong with their brother. He was just annoyed that of all the times Abeer chose this one to ask questions she had.

"Abi..."

He opened his mouth to come up with an excuse when Rayyan beat him.

"It's just the fact that I fell in love but I didn't know and messed up quite big time."

The silence which followed Rayyan's words was heavy with lots of emotions. Abeer whipped her head in his direction and saw him looking out of the window.

The city life outside was as lively as it had always been. The cars zooming past them. The illuminated building stood tall. The people were enjoying a good evening outside.

But now she knew that life, for her brother had came to a standstill. Not now. Long way back. He was living in distress which was eating him from within and making him more vulnerable than he ever was.

She didn't ask further. It was wrong. To push a person who was already at his extreme brink of nothingness and there was not much they could do to pull him back.

The car stopped in front of the hotel the event was held and with heavy sighs they all came out. Both Rohail and Haseeb were out of the earshot when she held Rayyan's arm.

"You'll find her."

He chuckled humorlessly. He knew he would. Someday. But he was sure that would not be liked by Noor. But the urge of finally having her around was greater that any inhibition and fear.

"I hope I do soon."

"You will. I'm no love expert but I know that love can never go wasted. Your love will pull her towards you. Mark my words."

He smiled lightly guiding her towards entrance.

Wishful thinking.

But surely a silver lining. And a silver lining was what the ever person of dark was trying to find these days.

______________________

Zirwa wasn't unfamiliar with these kind of events. Mostly elites were invited to these, knowing they had money they were wasting everywhere else so it was only right to show them a way to make a good use of it.

Her eyes roamed over the many faces. Friends, family, acquaintances, and those she had never seen before. All for the same. To put their part in a cause which was noble. Their efforts were bearing fruit. She could feel.

With a heart full of contentment and a smile not faltering soon, she made her way towards the drink corner to get some plain water.

Picking up her glass from the counter, she turned around only to be bumped into a hard chest. The water spilled on the pristine white dress she was wearing. Thanks heavens it wasn't any other beverage she had chosen. She looked up at the man who was wearing a matching scowl as hers.

"Are you Blind or something?"

She hissed smoothing out her dress. It was not her way of dealing with strangers but the guy had an expressions on his face which totally said in his mind he wasn't at fault when he truly was.

"I can ask you the same."

She narrowed her eyes hearing this.

"No you can't because clearly you're the one who bumped into me."

"According to my memory it was someone else.."

Rohail looked around and then at last settled his gaze on her.

"Newsflash! You."

She took a step forward to put him in his right place. If cockiness was a person it would totally be him.

"I can strangle you right here."

"Can you even reach my neck?"

He asked raising an eye brow making her frustration reaching a new level. Before she could grace him with one of her snarkiest remarks he had left from there leaving her fuming.

Good for her because she was seriously thinking of reaching for his neck. But the drama wasn't worth it.

Suddenly her evening was not so good any more.

______________________________

Rayyan had never been the life of an event. He always preferred sitting in the background. His own parties were exception as there being the host he was supposed to interact but the other times he was just side figure in the big picture.

But still he always drew people towards him. It was not his doing. Nothing intentional. But his keep-to-himself persona had always intrigued people. And they never got too close. He never let them. If they thought of him an an enigma then be it.

But right now his born cockiness or the ever present boredom wasn't the reason for him fading in to the background of this high profile gathering.

He was in a state where there was always a void inside of him. He'd never felt this torn and empty within. Like there was nothing in his life to look forward to. As if in a crowd of people he was still alone.

He stood facing the wall where many pictures of origination's work. The picture with a flood effected area survivors. A picture with African kids. A picture with transgenders in a local area of a city.

"This is Falak, Nagina, and Gul. The girls I was telling you about before."

A fleeting voice reached his ears and then there was

Silence.

All he could feel around himself was silence with a buzzing noise in his ears.

And then it all went silent once more. His rigid form was listening to the voice to his side with every fiber of his being.

He could never misunderstood that voice.

"I'm really happy that you are taking interest in our cause, Mrs Shahana. This really means so much."

He could listen his heart in his ears. Just a slight tilt of his head to the side and he would see her.

Her.

His eyes were wide open. The sheen of moisture wasn't hidden from anyone who walked right into him. Dread and euphoria were passing through him in waves. A combination he had never felt before.

But was she really there?

Or he was finally at the last brink of his sanity?

There was no time to comprehend anything. The fading footsteps told his that focus of his being was moving away. He whipped around only to get a glimpse of a retreating back of someone is a black pishwas.

And that was the moment all haze shifted aside.

It was her.

He didn't even have to see that face. He could spot her in the mass of people and here he didn't have to put much effort.

The first move should've been to run after her. But he just stood there. Watching her getting lost in the crowd.

He leaned his head against the wall and took s deep sigh.

His bloodshed eyes closed with a silent prayer leaving his heart.

He was home.

Finally.

____________________________

Oblivious to what havoc she had once again brought to life, Noor made her way towards Zirwa who was now sitting with Wahab. The even was going on smoothly. Noor had managed to talk to few people and they were quite willing to put their money for the girls school she so wanted to get started with. With a satisfied smile she reached Zirwa's side.

"Yeah, leave all the work on me and enjoy the food you two."

Zirwa rolled her eyes but the mirth on her face wasn't hidden from Noor.

"This should be directed to the loser sitting next to me."

Wahab huffed in annoyance making Noor chuckle.

"You guys! I was here to ask where I can find the prayer room? I'm yet to offer Isha prayer."

Zirwa nodded and pointed to the far corner.

"Right out of this hall, to the right wing."

Noor nodded in her direction and made her way towards the said room. Reaching the threshold she took off her shoes and left them at the stand outside. Loosing her headscarf she entered the attached washroom and completed the ablution. There wasn't anyone in here at this hour. Tightening her scarf around her head she started the Namaz with her complete focus of Allah Almighty. Ever other thought flew out of her mind and all she could remember was her creator.

That's how Rayyan had found her. After getting control over his raging emotions the first thing he did was following the epitome of his everything and this lead him here. In the prayer room.

He was still in a dazed state. It all felt too good to to be real. He was in state of magic and miserable. His feet felt floating on the air the whole walk from the hall to here. His mind was numb.

He was numb.

The initial shock was replaced by many other emotions he couldn't even feel. That was his condition.

Love had reduced him to this. And he had no complaints. It swallowed him whole into a whirlpool of nothingness and he happily complied.

Those who said he was a rebel were right. He'd rebelled against everything all his life.

But those who said nothing could change him were wrong.

Love knocked at his door. And then it was him and only him to took the reins of his heart into his hand and changed himself for better.

And the person who was behind this change in the first place wasn't even aware of it.

Sitting on the prayer mat she was forming a picture which would stay with him all his life. This is how he had found her. This had always been their combine point. Their point. Their arrangement.

Noor couldn't find peace in Rayyan's house and here, when she was an epitome of peace and serenity, Rayyan had found her. And he lacked both. After her, he never found any. 

There was no other way to put it.

Noor finished and raised her hands for Dua. Izma, Maheen, Zirwa, Saboohi, Zarnab, Her newly born nephew, Zarnab's family, the people back in village.

She prayed for everyone.

And that's it.

There was nothing more she could ask for. There was nothing she had to ask for herself. Whenever she tried she came up with nothing. There was nothing she wanted in life anymore. Or may be she was too afraid of having this she wanted.

Peace, comfort, happiness.

Her focal point. Something which would be hers to hold onto.

She completed the Namaz and looked up.

Only to get the shock of her life finding someone from the past.

Her eyes held shock and so much more.

But that time she had no idea that prayers, sometimes don't have to be voiced out. They just reach where they should reach. And they get fulfilled.

Hers did.

For the perfect mix of her peace, comfort, happiness and anchor was standing right in front of her with red rimmed eyes.

But she would take some time to realize.

_______________________

The air of the already silent room was still. Blue eyes were gazing into Hazel ones searching for something.

Anything.

And even from this far he could swear something was changed.

Amiss.

But she was the first one to avert her gaze. Getting up she held the sides of her psihwas and without saying anything moved passed him.

"Won't we even share greetings?"

His steady voice hit with her ears making her flinch.

"We were never on greeting terms."

Her calm reply was enough to make his heart skip a beat.

He wasn't a manic yet or he must have counted the time after which he was hearing her talking to him. It all felt ages ago.

"We can start with it. Ask each other how we've been."

His approach was cautious. He was testing the waters. He had always knew that she wouldn't be much thrilled to see him again if someday he did find her. And right now his theory was proving to be right.

"In that case, I have nothing to tell. And I'm sure we are on same page here."

If only she knew.

Not waiting for him to say anything more, Noor slipped into her shoes and left from there.

Leaving behind an air filled with a feeling like home.

A home known to only the man she had left behind.

It had always been the same.

___________________________

It is said the ghosts of past are a knack of reappearing in someone's life and turning it upside down.

But the problem here was the person who had reappeared in Noor's life wasn't a ghost of past. Not a monster she was running from. He had done nothing to scar her so that she would run away from even his shadow.

Still she was the most bitter with him. She was the most distressed on his arrival back in her life. He unnerved her like no one ever did and he had a tendency of pushing her wrong buttons.

Most of all he brought with him all that she had left behind. This was wrong. At this point in her life the least she deserved was the arrival of someone she used to know. From a past she rather forget. And it had made her worried. Her eyes would dart towards his frame and he would be always gazing her way. His eyes were checking her every move. She knew he was noticing her. And this was making her angry.

Rayyan wasn't able to take his eyes off her the rest of the night. He was trying to read the untold he could sense was there. She was changed. Her way of talking and carrying herself wasn't the same.

Most of all the light in her eyes he had witnessed when she was going through the darkest of her times, was gone.

And it hurt. He knew there was a story he had no clue about. And he wanted to find out. He wanted to know more. He wanted her to tell him what was bothering her.

Most of all he wanted her to listen to him. His apology. He was going to apologize for his rotten behaviour towards her. She didn't deserve an other monster and he tried to be one.

They needed to talk.

There was so much to say. Yet there were no words. It still felt like a dream having her close. In the same room.

Had he been this lucky? How long it had been for him to pin after her? months? and here she was. Right in front of his eyes. He was given his chance. Now it was his turn to utilize it.

And that he would. It was the time to right all the wrongs.

The event was almost nearing to its end. His mind was busy in forming a way to get her to talk to him when he saw her talking to her friend and then leaving.

That was it.

Noor stood in the parking lot waiting for Zirwa. The event was at the end point and Ms Rameen had told them to go home. Noor was more than ready. She made her way outside because the weight of someone's gaze was proving to be too much.

The sky was covered with heavy clouds. It would start raining anytime now. She looked up hoping to hear the sound of falling drops but instead all she heard was the crunch of footsteps . She looked in the direction of the voice and soon her eyes landed on him.

"Noor."

He had uttered her name in front of her for the very first time and that was the moment her heart gave a faint flutter.

That had never happened before. She kept on looking at him with wide eyes when the impending rain started drenching the two people standing in the parking lot.

"Why are you doing this?"

Her voice was a mere whisper but he had heard it.

"I just want to say something."

"Is there anything to say?"

"So much."

His hoarse whisper should've lost in the rain but she heard it.

"Why are you making it look like we are old pals? We were never even close to being civil to each other. We met and then what? Nothing. It's all in the past. All over. Please let it go. Don't try anything. Ignore me. That's what you should've done."

How could he tell her the old him would've done the same but this him, the one who was madly in love with her couldn't. Never.

She shivered under the pouring rain. It was useless now. Coming here. For the person she was trying to avoid had found her anyway. Moreover the rain was heavy. She didn't want to get sick. She took a deep breath seeing his face and tried walking past him when he held her arm with a gentle tug.

His fingers grasped around hers in a gentle pull. The first proper touch and that was when her heart beat differently for the second time that night.

"What if I say It's not over? What if I say letting go is not as easy as you think it is?"

His jet balck here were now stuck to his nape. The water was running on his chiseled features while her whole form was drenched and for the very first time she had felt her tongue tied in front of him. There were no words to say.

Both stood there.

And the very first drop of petrichor changed into the very first rain of love.

And they just stood there.

Oblivious.

Still knowing.

_______________________________

A/N: They met. From now on get ready for some Rayyan-Noor filled updates. 

We don't have a ship name? 

Oh.

Love

Aims. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

595K 40.6K 73
I walked down the dark hallway, my eyes scanning the rooms on my way.The door was slightly ajar as I reached the end of the hallway, my hands pushing...
NOOR By Riya

Romance

294K 11.9K 46
I woke up by the sound of doorbell and someone banging on our front door. I came out and saw that everyone was out by now. "I'll check." Saying that...
3.1K 239 18
A spinoff of Her Replaced Husband #Ideally to be read after HRH 🔴Not a Standalone Mastoorah The nice, upright, and assertive girl who always finds...
261K 20.4K 31
She has been keeping that secret in her heart for years and years, risking her every relationship. She has been accused. She has been hurt. She has b...