Twins: A different life - Dis...

By xx_Bluezzy

Thanks to dumbledore, the Potters kept Rosina The-Girl-Who-Lived and threw away her twin Harry. The real Boy... More

Fourty-Three
Fourty-Four
Fourty-Five
Fourty-Six
Fourty-Seven
Fourty-Eight
Foutry-Nine
Fifty
A/N
Fifty-One
Fifty-Two
Fifty-Three
Fifty-Four
Fifty-Five
Fifty-Six
Fifty-Seven
Fifty-Eight
Fifty-Nine
Sixty
Sixty-One
Sixty-Two
Sixty-Three
Sixty-Four
Sixty-Five
Sixty-Six
Sixty-Seven
Sixty-Eight
Sixty-Nine
Seventy
Seventy-One
Seventy-Two
Seventy-Three
Seventy-Four
Seventy-Five
Seventy-Six
Seventy-Seven
Seventy-Eight
Seventy-Nine
Eighty
Eighty-One
Eighty-Two
Eighty-Three
Eighty-Four
Eighty-Five
Eighty-Six
Eighty-Seven
Eighty-Eight
Eighy-Nine
Ninety
Ninety-One
Ninety-Two
Ninety-Three
Ninety-Four
Ninety-Five
Ninety-Six
Ninety-Seven
Ninety-Eight
Ninety-Nine
100
101
102
103
104
105
106
107
108
109
110
111
112
114
115
116
117

113

10.2K 361 8
By xx_Bluezzy

If there was one thing Sirius did enjoy about being Lord Black, it was the ability to afford to buy anonymity in places like Celestial Alley. He had bought a secluded booth in The Golden Wand and was lightly sipping sparkling water as he waited for his lunch date to arrive. He liked this place, because it held a light atmosphere but they still considered privacy. Sirius looked up when the door opened and grinned. A woman had walked in dressed in auror robes, looking completely lost and jumped when the hostess approached her. She was led over to his booth and slid in with a look of utter bewilderment, much to Sirius' amusement.

"Mother of Circe, Sirius. The floor in this place looks as if it cost more than my entire flat!" She whisper exclaimed, and Sirius laughed.

"You don't come to Celestial Alley often, do you?" Sirius asked and she shook her head.

"Not at all. I think I've only ever patrolled here." She was looking around the place in disbelief. "So this is high society."

"Ah, not exactly." He said and she looked at him with wide eyes.

"No?"

"No, this is for casual dates or appointments." Sirius said, "You would never come here for an evening in high society."

"Your world is weird." Tonks stated and Sirius laughed. He tapped the table with his wand and asked for another sparkling water for Tonks, who looked at the water that appeared before her in shock. "So weird."

"You are only saying that because you haven't been brought up in it." He said, "Though you should have."

"My mother thinks differently." Tonks sighed and Sirius frowned.

"I don't understand why, however." He said, "And why her attitude hasn't changed since I took over."

"I don't know, Sirius. She's been like it for as long as I remember. I mean, when I was growing up I wasn't allowed to ask about the Blacks, it was like the Black name didn't exist." Tonks explained with a shrug.

"Did she ever say why?" Sirius asked bewildered and Tonks thought for a few seconds before starting.

"Yes! Once. We had gotten in to an argument in my seventh year, because I wanted to know why I couldn't acknowledge that I was part Black. Just the name is enough to turn heads and I was a half-blood going in to a ministry with Fudge in charge." Tonks remembered, "She lost it. How she was thrown out and abandoned because she fell in love, how their Pureblood mania was more important than their own daughter, and that they would rather pretend she didn't exist than show kindness to ruin their reputation. How she and my father raised me with what little they had and that I was ungrateful to throw that back in her face by wanting to associate with the Blacks."

"What little they had? Is she insane? Uncle Alphard split his fortune down the middle and gave half to her, and I know it wasn't something to laugh about as I got the other half!" Sirius exclaimed and Tonks blinked.

"I don't know anything about that," Tonks said, "It's just, she was kicked out, wasn't she?"

"Yes, she was, but the situation isn't as cut and dry as she would like people to believe." Sirius said slowly.

"What do you mean?"

"How much to you know about Pureblood society, and that of the Black status?" Sirius questioned and Tonks snorted.

"Practically nothing. I know you are a Noble and Most Ancient House, you are filthy rich and you have a lot of power." Tonks said with a shrug and Sirius sighed.

"You may not truly understand the significance of this then," He told her.

"Tell me anyway."

"In order to run off with your father, your mother broke a betrothal contract with an Ancient House openly. Not only did the Black family have to pay steep reparations for such a slight, but they were backed in to a corner, nothing but disownment would have been seen as acceptable. You think the Black name holds power, if Grandfather hadn't of acted we wouldn't be half of what we are now." Sirius stated and Tonks eyes widened.

"But why? Why does it even matter?"

"Unfortunately, image is everything in our world and we have to keep face because your reputation is everything you are. If Grandfather would not have acted the slighted House would have torn us to shreds and we would have fallen, word would have spread and then all it would have taken is a rumour of infidelity or impurity and we would all have been shamed, Narcissa and Bellatrix mostly. There would have been a possibility that both contracts with Malfoy and Lestrange would have fallen through."

"Are you for real?"

"Oh yes, very." Sirius sighed, "It sucks but Grandfather had the entire family to think about not just personal feelings to each individual. Could he afford to let the entire House drop and ruin both Cissa and Bella's entire futures because Andy was selfish? Of course not. Yes it sounds cruel, but it isn't as bad as it sounds. I was nearly forced in to marriage with Parkinson's sister, however, Grandfather did value bonds and when it was discovered that Moony had selected me as his mate my Grandfather blessed us."

"I thought you were thrown out too? Didn't you run away?"

"Yeah, I did, but I was never formally disowned by my Grandfather, the past Lord to the House. My mother disowned me, and my father followed her, but my Grandfather gave me permission to go to the Potters." Sirius explained and Tonks nodded.

"It makes sense. What would have happened if your Grandfather wouldn't have given permission?"

"I wouldn't have gone." Sirius stated simply and Tonks blinked.

"What?" She gasped, well aware of how much Sirius hated his parents. Everyone knew how much Sirius hated his parents.

"What you must understand is while yes I hated my parents, I do not hate all of my family. I do have a strong dislike for quite a few of them, and I agreed with some of the things they did even less, however, they are still my family and I was bound by my Head and Lord." Sirius told her, "To risk getting disowned was not worth it seeing as I only had a year left before I came of age."

"I don't understand." She admitted.

"Do you know the consequences of getting fully disowned?" Sirius asked her and Tonks shook her head.

"Not really, I mean I kind of gathered it was a bad thing from mum." Tonks said with a shrug and Sirius grimaced.

"You cannot have a job in the ministry, Mungos or Hogwarts if you have been disowned, it is the ultimate sign of dishonour so you become untrustworthy. You also lose all family magics." Sirius answered bluntly and Tonks recoiled, her face and hair going pale, Sirius was about to ask what was wrong but she shook herself and asked her own question.

"So how come I can morph, isn't that a Black trait?"

"You were conceived almost immediately after your parents wedding and magic recognises every child at the point of conception, which is why abortions are highly regulated within our world. Magic had already recognised you as a child of Black before your mother was disowned, meaning you gained a Black ability because while your mother was disowned, you were not known about therefore the magics could not be taken."

"Huh, that sounds rather complicated."

"It is, I barely know what I'm talking about."

"So I'm still a Black?" Tonks questioned and Sirius frowned.

"Not quite. While you were not removed, your mother was which means you have to be accepted in to the House of Black to become an official daughter."

"Oh?"

"Yes. Do you still happen to be inordinately clumsy?" Sirius asked and she blushed.

"Yeah. That's why I lost 3%, it was on stealth. I could track, which is the only reason I passed, even with my almost perfect scores elsewhere." She admitted.

"It's because you are constantly using a Black trait without being fully accepted."

"Really?" Tonks exclaimed shocked and Sirius nodded.

"I only found out about all of this magic stuff when I took up the mantle myself. If it wasn't for Remus I would have drowned." Sirius told her shaking his head.

"It's insane."

"Now, of course, I would be willing to take you in to the Black House but you need to know exactly what it means to be a daughter to the House of Black."

"Why do I get the feeling that I am about to enter a whole new world?" Tonks groaned and Sirius laughed.

"It's not that bad. Besides, you don't have to do it."

Tonks grimaced, she pulled out a very warn sheet of parchment and handed it over to Sirius.

"This came yesterday." She told him darkly. Sirius unfolded the letter and his expression darkened more the further he got.

Nymphadora,

I have received notice that you have now taken a placement within the ministry, continuing the foolish pursuit of becoming an auror. I cannot tell you how disappointed I am, and ashamed that you have continued to disobey my express wishes.

Your father has also received a written request for your hand in pureblood courtship, telling us that you have allowed this disgraceful relationship to develop, despite being forbidden to see him.

Your father and I have discussed this and we cannot allow your persistent defiance. We have decided that you are to be given a final week to heed our wishes and comply with what we have repeatedly asked of you, or you shall be formally disowned. It pains me to have to resort to such measures, but I cannot bare to see you throw your life away as you are.

We hope to hear from you soon,

Mother.

"Has she lost her fucking mind?" Sirius hissed viciously, so viciously that Tonks actually flinched, not used to her usually ever cheerful cousin speaking in such a tone.

"I don't know what to do." Tonks fretted, "She's leaving me with no options."

"What in the name of Merlin has happened to her?" Sirius exclaimed furiously, "She knows what it feels like to be disowned and yet she is threatening to do the same thing to you!"

"I think it was Kyle's request that sent them over the edge," Tonks said with a sigh, "They were both livid that I would accept a Pureblood because of what happened to them both."

"First things first, not all Purebloods are bad so that's a load of utter crap. The second thing, the reason your father got so much hatred was because he helped break a betrothal contract with an Ancient House." Sirius grumbled.

"What am I going to do?"

"I will have to meet with Andromeda as soon as possible. She has not yet replied to my letter." Sirius said and Tonks winced.

"Ah. Yeah. You probably won't get a reply." Tonks said cautiously and Sirius blinked.

"What? Why? I've never had a problem with Andy before." He pointed out.

"You're Lord Black." Tonks stated as if it was obvious but Sirius didn't understand and said as much. "You are underestimating how much she hates the Blacks, the fact that you are Lord Black makes you a persona non grata in her book."

"You have got to be kidding me?" Sirius said in outrage, "I have done absolutely nothing to her whatsoever."

"She doesn't want anything to do with the Black name, you arethe Black name." Tonks explained and Sirius shook his head.

"That's absolutely ridiculous. I will be paying her a visit without the reply to see exactly what she has to say for herself. I can't even believe this. If I hadn't had read this letter I don't think I would have believed it." Sirius sighed heavily through his nose and folded up the letter. "This relationship of yours, is it serious?"

"Kyle wants to do everything properly, with the courtship and then possibly a contract, which is another thing I want to talk to you about, and then get married." Tonks said to him, "And as you can tell, neither of my parents are pleased."

"Are you interested in the courtship?" Sirius asked and Tonks blushed lightly, her hair going red to match.

"Very much so,"

"If you were of House Black, I could be the one to hold negotiation of courtship and contracts for you." Sirius said slowly, "When you are part of an old Pureblood House, all letters of contracts, courtships or anything of sorts has to go to the Head of House as well as the Daughter's father. When it comes down to it, the Head of House can overrule the parental decision."

"Really?" Tonks said surprised and Sirius nodded.

"Oh yes, Grandfather did so when my mother tried to disown me officially. A full disownment can only be done by the Head or the person themselves, and Grandfather wouldn't allow it. See, my father had the Heirship removed when I was six, Grandfather said he saw something in me that would take our House forward and so I was appointed Heir." Sirius explained.

"So if I was accepted back in to House Black everything would come to you?" Tonks confirmed and Sirius nodded, "What happens if I'm not disowned?"

"It would still come to me because House Black would hold primary." Sirius said and Tonks raised an eyebrow.

"Primary?"

"It means we retain the higher ground, we take primary decision making. If there were to be any big political issues or family matters where it involves the entire House, the primary House will make the final decision and all others Houses have to fall in line. For example, if there were to be an election and Lucius wanted to choose party A and I wanted party B, he would have to choose option B if I invoked Primary because it involves Narcissa's life and what I deem acceptable living conditions for her and her son."

"Wow, I didn't know that." Tonks muttered surprised, "What would happen with Kyle?"

"House Black would retain primary." Sirius answered immediately, "It would be one of the first things offered from House Rosier to marry in to the House of Black, especially given that you personally hold the metamorphmagus gene."

"I wouldn't fit in." Tonks groaned, "Look at me! I couldn't play the part of prim and perfect Daughter to a Pureblood House."

Sirius released a bark-like laugh.

"Don't be an idiot." He waved her off, "The only thing that would change is that you would possibly have to start attending a few balls, and that would only depend on the outcome of the courtship/contract."

"Really?"

"Yes, I mean, don't get me wrong, most of the time Pureblood Houses will primp their Daughters in the hope of marrying them to the Heirs and if not to the Heir then to the Spare."

"Spare?"

"The one who would inherit should anything happen to the Heir, back up if you will."

"Ah, makes sense."

"Loads of Lords do that, hell, even off branches to that, Uncle Cygnus did that with all his Daughters and they all got contracts with Heirs, so it does work. However, you already have an approached courtship with an Heir, and you would be a Daughter of House Black, most want to marry in to our line."

"What would change for me if I was accepted in to the House of Black now?" Tonks questioned and Sirius thought for a moment.

"Your records of communication would change, that is to say all important notifications parents get would get automatically copied to me. Officially, all travel and school/job opportunities have to be cleared by the Head of House, but you can go anywhere you want as long as you let me know when your back and do what you want in general – unless you wish to pledge yourself to someone or something, then you are going to have to run that by me first." Sirius told her, "Your name would change, depending on if you want it to of course, you would then be acknowledged as a Daughter of the House Black and granted the courtesy title of Lady Nymphadora at Pureblood functions."

"I'd have a title?" Tonks asked, when she stopped wrinkling her nose at her name.

"Yeah, at the functions and official letters would be addressed as Lady Nymphadora, of the Noble and Most Ancient House of Black."

"Why?"

"It's because of the official titles that are barely in use today still stand when it comes to full scale tradition." Sirius told her, "The Blacks official title is Lord Marquess, which means all Daughters and Sons get a courtesy title officially. In everyday life, only the Lord, husband/wife and Heir/Heiress would get acknowledges as such. If we were all to attend a ball, it would be Lord Black, Lord Consort Black, Heir Black and Lady Nymphadora of the Noble and Most Ancient House of Black."

"So I wouldn't have to introduce myself as Lady Nymphadora." She checked and Sirius grinned.

"Thankfully for you, no. The only time you would have to do that is if you were to meet your intended's parents for the very first time only."

"That's a relief, I don't think I could look someone in the face and introduce myself as Lady Nymphadora of the Noble and Most Ancient House of Black. I hate my first name as it is."

"If your parents disown you then you can officially change your name." Sirius said to her, "Currently, coming in to the House, your name would simply change to Black-Tonks, as House Black holds primary over all lesser blood houses – it's just how it goes."

"I have to write back to her tonight, I won't give up being an auror and I won't break it off with Kyle." Tonks stated firmly, "I worked hard for both, I don't see why I should give it up."

Sirius pulled out a galleon from his pouch and make a Black Portkey, handing it over to Tonks.

"Think about what you want to do and wait for a reply, if your parents disown you then you take this porkey to the Manor immediately because you'll feel it and I doubt it will be pleasant."

"Will I lose my job?" Tonks questioned worriedly and Sirius tilted his head.

"It depends."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, if you decide not to come back in to the House then yes, you will lose your job the instant it happens. If you come back to the House, then no, you won't, because all your records would change to showing an unmarried daughter from the House of Black. You are in a lucky situation because your father is the muggleborn, you are being disowned from a lesser blood and accepted in to a Noble and Most Ancient House. If it was the other way round, there's a strong possibility that you would still lose your job. It's twisted and stupid, but that's Pureblood law." Sirius explained and Tonks shook her head.

"It's kinda sickening that a name can do that much."

"I know, but the world is stuck the way it is. The last time we had any sort of change was during the war." Sirius sighed.

"I think I will come back to the House." Tonks said, "I have nothing to lose, and even if my mother does disown me then I won't be on my own."

"When is your next day off?" Sirius inquired.

"Monday, so two days from now."

"Good, we can have everything prepped for there. You'll take the Portkey to the Manor just before lunch and we'll get everything sorted, though I warn you ahead of time that you will have to meet Narcissa and she'll want to know everything about you."

"But I'm a Halfblood."

"Oh so you've been brought up to believe Cissa is a supremacist too, wonderful." Sirius muttered, "Narcissa is your Aunt, and to her family is very important. Blood status is not a problem, it's the restriction of our traditions that she doesn't like. Besides, have you forgotten Remus? He's a Halfblood werewolf."

"I forgot about that," Tonks noted with a laugh, "I guess lot of things will be different now."

"You'll be seeing everything from your own point of view instead of hearing things, you can make your own assumptions." Sirius said with a shrug, "There are perks too, but you don't get to find out about those until Monday."

"That's hardly fair," Tonks complained with a pout and Sirius grinned.

"Poor baby," He crooned and she hit his arm as he laughed, "Want something to eat?"

"Sure, I have to go back to work after this."

"How is the training coming?" Sirius questioned as he passed Tonks a menu and looked for what he wanted to eat.

"Well, I spent my first year under Mad Eye Moody, so I'm finding working as a normal trainee auror quite easy." Tonks laughed and Sirius snickered.

"Ah Mad-Eye, what a wizard."

"He's retiring soon, I'm his last." Tonks said to Sirius and the man blinked.

"Moody is retiring? Merlin, I thought he would just die in some epic battle." Sirius said surprised and Tonks laughed.

"I think he wants to keep both his arms." She joked.

"So you're on your second year of training? Patrols, watching and tests."

"Of course, you were an auror once." Tonks remembered, "I wondered how you know so much."

"Yeah, I had to do it all. The final year it a bit more action packed, you shadow someone and you are out in the field more often."

"Mad-Eye mentioned something about that, said he'd stick around for shadowing if I passed."

"You'll have a great time then."

"Who did you train under?" Tonks questioned and Sirius grinned.

"Bones, back before she got made Head of the DMLE. She was promoted the year I finished training."

"Wow, what was that like?"

"She took a vicious amount of pleasure wiping the floor with me." Sirius chuckled and Tonks grinned.

"She doesn't take any nonsense and she was at odds with Potter because she made him step down from the Head Auror spot when he took the Flying instructors spot at Hogwarts."

"I can imagine."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5M 41.4K 72
Evelyn Potter was the girl-who-lived, or so they thought. Harry was the true boy-who-lived, who beat Voldemort. After being dumped by Lily and James...
139K 4.8K 22
๐•๐ข๐ซ๐ข๐๐ข๐ญ๐ฒ / (ฮฝฮนัฮนโˆ‚ฮนั‚ัƒ) (n.) แด›สœแด‡ วซแดœแด€สŸษชแด›ส แดส€ sแด›แด€แด›แด‡ แดา“ ส™แด‡ษชษดษข ษขส€แด‡แด‡ษด; ษขส€แด‡แด‡ษดแด‡sแด›; ษชษดษดแดแด„แด‡ษดแด„แด‡, สแดแดœแด›สœ แดส€ า“ส€แด‡sสœษดแด‡ss. ๐ˆ๐ ๐–๐‡๐ˆ๐‚๐‡ โคต Antheia Iliana Po...
12.1K 238 7
Harry Potter son of Jameson and Lily Potter. Harry is the older brother Emmett Potter the 'wrongly' declared boy who lived. The night Voldemort attac...
10.4K 201 18
It was a classic love story between Lily Evans and James Potter. They met, eventually fell in love, got married and came to have two beautiful little...