Sugar

By ktk446

"Hey, sugar." C O V E R B Y // @daisiesxflowers More

Intro
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Get To Know Me! (If ya want)
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty One
Twenty Two
Twenty Three
Twenty Four
Twenty Five
Twenty Six
Twenty Seven
Twenty Eight
Twenty Nine
Thirty
Thirty One
Thirty Two
Thirty Three
Thirty Four
Thirty Five
Thirty Six
Not An Update - But Something You Might Enjoy?
Thirty Seven
Thirty Eight
Thirty Nine
New Story Alert
Forty
Forty Two
Epilogue

Forty One

73.9K 2.6K 322
By ktk446

*A/N: two updates in one week? Who am I? Jk, I'm trying to finish this book before my school semester starts up again. Plus I don't have writer's block rn so I'm trying to bust out my creativity while I have it. 

This chapter does have a lot of dialogue, mostly because the next chapter will have hardly any. 

Only two chapters left, y'all. 

I love you.

Chapter

Forty One 

C A R O L I N E 

Waking up on the day of the challenge, the earlier sense of foreboding I felt had heightened. It was as if there was an electric current in the air, ready to strike down at any moment.

Dominic was gone before I had woken up, his side of the bed cold. I didn't mind, considering how big of a day today was. But I wish he had at least nudged me to say goodbye, since he didn't say anything to me when he came to bed last night either.

Sitting upright, most of the pain in my skull was gone, but I did get an intense head-rush. Considering I was battered against a porcelain sink just a day before, I couldn't complain.

Part of me figured that the Challenge would be at sun down. That seems like a story book cliche, right? The clouds would come in and it would rain while the two males were rolling around in the mud, tearing each other up. I could almost picture it on a movie screen; the winning alpha would stand strong and defeat his opponent right as the clouds broke around a full moon.

How cinematic.

But this wasn't a cinema. This was the real world, and the challenge would begin at ten in the morning.

The sun was out and the day was the perfect temperature. Just over eighty degrees. It seemed a shame that the Challenge would be today, on such a beautiful day.

There were a couple hours until it all started, so I threw on a set of comfortable clothes, workout leggings, sports bra, and a white tank top, figuring we would be outside all day and I would be sweating with worry over Dominic. I didn't want to ruin any nice clothes.

Pulling my hair into a loose ponytail, I bounced down to the exercise room, expecting to find Dominic there. He was, but he wasn't exercising. He was laying on the mat, staring at the ceiling.

"You okay?" I asked, standing over him.

The man smiled softly at me. "Yeah. Just mentally preparing."

I sat by his side, biting my bottom lip. "Well, I have something to confess. Do you have some time to talk?"

Dominic pushed himself up on one elbow, raising a brow at me. "Is everything okay?"

"So, remember how I started working out all those mornings? I wasn't actually going on runs... I asked Jeff to train me how to fight."

Dominic sat up fully now, his face darkening. "You were alone in a room with him every morning? Why is this the first I have heard of this?"

"Because I begged him to do it in private. But that's not the point-"

"Sugar, you already know how to fight."

I aggressively waved my hands in his face, telling him to shut up. "Stop interrupting me. Yes, I know how to fight but he didn't know that. I had him train me in his techniques. I know how he fights and his tricks and his weak spots."

Dominic's eyes widened in understanding. "Caroline, I don't need you to be my strategist. I know what I'm doing. If someone were to find out, you could get in a lot of trouble."

"I wanted to help. Since you didn't seem to be doing anything to prepare... I took matters into my own hands. So let me just tell you some of his secrets and-"

"No, Caroline."

My brows furrowed. "What? Why not?"

Dom hopped to his feet, leaning down to kiss my forehead swiftly. "I don't need to know, sugar. I am going to be just fine."

"But-"

"Seriously, sweetheart. We'll be fine."

With that, the Alpha left me sitting on the floor mat alone. He didn't say goodbye or tell me to follow him. 'We'll be fine'? Why would he say such a thing? It may seem like nothing, but his voice and the way he kissed me told me otherwise. Something was cooking in that brain of his and it wasn't good.

The next time I saw Dominic was five minutes before the Challenge began. It was customary that I would see him off from the comfort of the foyer, so there I was. My stomach was in knots as my mate geared up.

Andrew and him were speaking in hushed tones while Alfie and I were shifting form food to foot anxiously. "Why are you nervous?" I asked Alfie.

"Because you're nervous and because something doesn't feel right."

"You feel that too? I thought I was going crazy," I gushed. "Or being paranoid."

Alfie wagged his head, folding his arms over his chest. "No way. Something is going on. Why else would Andrew and Dominic be talking like that?"

Andrew was now being very animated, looking downright outraged, while Dominic was looking calm but stern. "Can't you hear what they're saying, Mr. Werewolf?" I quizzed.

"Nothing that makes any sense."

I huffed loudly, rubbing my temples. The action caught Dominic's attention, who said a final word to his old Beta before approaching me. "How's your head, sugar?"

"I'm okay. You're just making me nervous."

He grinned at me, cupping my face. "Don't be nervous. I know what I have to do and I'm going to do it. Everything will be alright."

"What does that mean?" I asked suspiciously.

Dominic lifted my face and kissed me softly. It was a sad kiss. Not that his kissing skills were sad, because I can tell you from experience that it is definitely not. But he kissed me as if he was sad or saying goodbye.

I grasped his wrists to keep him from walking away. "Dom, what's going on?" I whispered desperately.

"I love you," he murmured sincerely before pushing me off of him, where Andrew caught me and held me in place.

Andrew had a grim look on his face and he wouldn't make eye contact with Alfie or myself. Dominic walked down into the yard, where Jeff was waiting. Both of them were shirtless and only had on workout shorts.

Since Andrew was the mediator, he then pulled away from me to complete his duties. Alfie and I exchanged nervous looks before we all but ran down the steps. "He's going to do something," I claimed.

"But what? I don't get it."

Andrew took his place between Dom and Jeff, glancing between the two of them and the quieting crowd. "This is your last chance to withdraw before the Challenge begins. Jeff?" Jeff shook his head, glaring at my mate. "Dominic?" Dominic gave a curt jerk to signal no. His fists clenched as Jeff said something I couldn't catch, but otherwise he didn't move.

"Alf, I'm scared," I whispered.

Alfie tugged me into his side, making a noise of agreement.

"Then we shall begin. You may shift at any time or remain human. No weapons allowed. The first to be incapacitated is the loser. Incapacitation could mean death. If you withdraw, ensure that your signal is clear so we end the Challenge before fatal injuries are made. There is no time limit and you can only go a hundred feet into the trees. If a spectator is injured, the Challenge will be postponed. If a spectator interferes, they will be imprisoned for up to a month. Any final questions?" Andrew tested.

A thick, tense silence filled the air. No one even seemed to breathe. Andrew stared hard at Dominic for a few moments before taking a step back. "You may begin."

Andrew jogged to stand with Alfie and I, putting a hand on my shoulder to comfort me. Dominic, who had been in a fighting stance for a split second, suddenly straightened into a normal standing position. "What is he doing?" I hissed.

Jeff seemed to think the same thing, but didn't waste time in attacking. Jeff ran for Dom's middle, tackling him to the ground. Instantly, Jeff was on top of him and punching Dominic's face.

Dominic wasn't moving. Meaning he wasn't fighting.

I spun on Andrew, grabbing a fistful of his shirt. "What is Dominic doing?"

"Nothing," Andrew answered through clenched teeth. "Absolutely nothing."

"Why the hell not?!"

Andrew snorted. "Why do you think? What you said to Alfie last night? About all these bad things happening to you because Dominic's title and how you wished things were different? Well, little girl, here you go. He's sacrificing it for you."

"That dummy! Did he not stick around for two more minutes to hear the rest of my speech?" I gushed, to which andrew shook his head no. "W-what can I do? Can you call a timeout so I can explain to him really quick that he's being an idiot?"

Andrew wagged his head. "The only way you can get in there is by taking Dominic's place as a Challenger."

"Okay, I'll go."

"But once you are subbed in, you have to finish it."

I looked over at the fight, where Dominic was now on his feet and letting Jeff hit, kick, and swing at him. At least now he was dodging the blows now. "How long until Dominic lets him win?"

Andrew shrugged. "Probably another half hour. Dominic will take longer than most to get knocked down, even if he is just letting him wail on him."

Jeff's eyes moved over to my horrified face, before he smirked and said something to Dom. Whatever he said must not have been too kind since Dominic, fast as lightning, slammed his fist into Jeff's unexpecting face. With one hit, Jeff's nose was broken and bleeding down his face while he was groaning on the ground.

"Has he changed his mind?" I asked hopefully.

"No. He's just defending your honor."

Jeff got up and once again started to fight him, Dominic letting almost all of the punches land - except for those to his face. I took a deep breath and stormed up to the line of spectators. "Dom! Knock it off!" I shouted at him.

Andrew's hand wrapped around my upper arm to catch my attention. "Don't go in just yet. Let the Beta work off some of his energy. You may have to fight his mate as well, so you'll have to be prepared for that."

"Nina is pregnant. Do you think she would still fight?"

Andrew raised a brow. "If that's the case, then no."

I reached up and tightened my ponytail, taking a deep breath. "Is there a procedure to this?"

"No, I will pause the fight."

Andrew stepped into the circle without another moment's waiting and raised his hands. As he spoke, I began to tie my shoes tightly, trying to ignore the way my hands shook as I did. "The Alpha's mate has volunteered to take Dominic's place in the Challenge. Nina, would you like to rise to the challenge?"

Nina's face visibly paled as she looked between Jeff, myself, and Andrew. Jeff's teeth were gritted and I could sense Dominic trying to speak inside my head, to tell me to go inside now. "My mate cannot. She is pregnant," Jeff growled.

"Jeff, do you accept?"

Dominic cut Jeff off. "I do not. Sugar, go inside."

"No. You can't tell me that I can't do this. I am allowed to take your place. It is my decision."

Jeff stepped closer to Andrew, lowering his voice. "What are the consequences for not accepting?"

"You admit defeat."

Jeff made a noise similar to a snarl, glaring daggers at me. "She's human."

Andrew shook his head calmly. "It makes no difference, so long as she is Dominic's chosen."

I held my hand out to Jeff. "Don't tell me you're afraid I'll kick your ass, Jeff," I taunted.

The man rudely slapped my hand down. "I taught you everything you know, you little brat." He looked up at Andrew. "I accept. If only to teach this girl a lesson."

Dominic growled deep in his chest. "Caroline, no."

I bounced up to Dom, rising onto my tippy toes to kiss his cheek. "Go keep the bench warm, kiddo," I told him.

"This isn't funny," he snapped. "You're already injured."

"No. You healed me. I'm fine as long as I don't get up too fast."

Andrew grabbed Dominic's arm and shoved him towards the waiting area, where Alfie looked like he would faint from worry. "Caroline, Jeff. When you are ready."

Jeff raised his chin at me. "You gonna make me remain in human form, princess?"

"I don't care what form you take. I will still win."

Jeff chuckled darkly. "Didn't you hear me, kid, I taught you everything you know."

I let out a bitter laugh, getting down into an agile position. "No, Jeff, you taught me everything you know."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.1K 822 19
Preview: I feel the blood running down my head from the attack. I try to move but my hands are pulled back from the silver chains on tied to the wal...
2.3M 54.8K 34
"Please," I begged pulling on the man's arm that was wrapped around my torso, pressing me to him. I wanted nothing more then to be freed of his grasp...
3.6M 92.7K 62
"Cora, whether you like it or not, you belong to me. You're mine! Do you understand that? I suggest you accept it because I won't allow you to decide...
159K 3K 44
Ha. Mates? Like werewolf mates? I know about that. But, a monster's mate? A what? A possessive monster's mate? Ha ha. Ha. Crap. (Warning: Cringe...