Something Precious

By singleflight

Madara and Obito are dead, but so is everyone else. Naruto had won, but he lost everything in the process. Gi... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Fourty
Chapter Fourty One
Chapter Fourty Two
Chapter Fourty Three
Chapter Fourty Four
Chapter Fourty Five
Chapter Fourty Six
Chapter Fourty Seven
Chapter Fourty Eight
Chapter Fourty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty One
Chapter Sixty Two
Chapter Sixty Three
Chapter Sixty Four
Chapter Sixty Five
Chapter Sixty Six
Chapter Sixty Seven
Chapter Sixty Eight
Chapter Sixty Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy One
Chapter Seventy Two
Chapter Seventy Three
Chapter Seventy Four
Chapter Seventy Five
Chapter Seventy Six
Chapter Seventy Seven

Chapter Twenty Nine

30K 1.1K 99
By singleflight

His instincts didn't leave him time for consideration for the consequences of his actions. He almost couldn't control it as he pushed chakra to his feet and at near inhuman speed he flashed to where Minato and the two enemy shinobi fought.

There was silence as everyone took in what he had done. In his right hand Naruto grasped the blonde jounin's wrist, his jutsu an inch away from Killer B's chest. Naruto's left leg was still raised from the kick he had used to send A across the lot - he had been mere moments away from reaching Minato and seriously maiming - if not killing - him.

"That's enough now." he said sternly as if scolding children. He looked at the three men before saying. "We seem to be just about evenly matched here. If we continue fighting it is likely that we could all die then neither of our nations would benefit from this pathetic battle."

His declaration of equality however, rang painfully untrue as the unconscious bodies of the Cloud's jounin lay defeated before them with the single, unscathed man that was responsible for it all staring them down. Between this mysterious monster, and the Leaf's infamous Yellow Flash before them, what choice did they have but to concede? What purpose could they serve if they were dead? However, their pride would not take to reason so quickly.

"Those sound like the word of a coward. What, are you scared now?" A asked incredulously. Naruto fixed him with a glare that would scare the devil. He was never particularly fond of A, he only met him once or twice in his time and the Raikage left a less than good impression on the teen.

"A." Naruto started, letting the imposing man know that he knew exactly who he was dealing with. "You're the head of this mission, right? So, you're the only one with the authority to call it quits. I'm not scared. But you have come onto Fire Nation territory with ill intent. Now I like to consider myself somewhat of a pacifist. I truely wish you no harm as of now, but if you don't set aside your foolish pride and take the loss on this one, what do you think would be the chances of you winning? Between Minato and I, and just the two of you? You know we haven't come alone. The odds aren't exactly weighing in you favor. Consider your comrades' lives here. I haven't killed them, but I can't let you continue to threaten my home. We will let you go, if you leave now." he spat harshly. Minato looked like he also wanted to object but a withering look from the blonde told him it wouldn't be a good idea. The kid knew what he was doing.

A still looked unconvinced. "Maybe we should listen to him on this one my brother." Killer B suggested, not out of fear exactly. But looking at the young man before him, he got a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach. He recalled bumping into the blonde on the streets the day before and he really hadn't seemed like much at the time. Seeing him now however, maybe it would be better if they left before they found out what he was fully capable of. He wasn't ready to throw their lives away for mere sake of pride.

"Shut up B! You want to throw away our mission because some brat told us to?!" he shouted. Killer B went to respond but Naruto did first.

"Look around you!" Naruto spat, gesturing to the littered lot. "You better decide what their lives are worth to you. Don't forget that we have a mission too. Quite frankly I don't much like the idea of killing, but I don't necessarily get to make that call. Just stand down and we can agree to a temporary truce for the time being." even Minato looked at him as if he were crazy. These ninja that they were at war with were invading on their nation's territory and he wanted a 'temporary truce'? He knew there was more to this than 'we could all die' crap. Naruto wasn't a coward so it couldn't be that. Was he worried about him? Minato wondered. It was the most probable answer but also the most infuriating one. He would defiantly be interrogating the Uzumaki later and he sure as hell better have a good excuse.

"A truce?" A's mistrust was not kept from his voice. Naruto nodded and caught his eyes.

"Don't be mistaken." now Naruto sounded more than slightly menacing. "This isn't over. You have stepped foot in my nation's land with a harmful intent, that hasn't slipped my mind." there was an unspoken threat in his tone and glare that promised hell next time they met.

"Besides, I did technically just save your brother so you owe me this on your honor."

"You also hurt my men." A pointed to the said men who all lay in declining degrees of consciousness.

Naruto shrugged. "They attacked first. And as I just pointed out you are on our nations soil so I would think twice about declining our offer."

A was silent as he contemplated this. His eyes flutter from Naruto to Killer B to Minato countless times before he let out a breath.

"Fine. But don't get too cocky, next time we meet - which will be soon - I won't hesitate to rip you to shreds."

"Well, we're on the same page there at least." a few more glares and A turned back to the bar. He motioned silently for his brother to follow. Killer B sent a strange glance at Naruto before obliging. The two blondes watching them go.

"What. The. Hell, Naruto." Minato growled, turning to the blonde. Naruto didn't relax and didn't look away from where the two Cloud nin had disappeared.

"It was best not to get into a full out battle and kill them right then. The big one is the Raikage's son and he is next in line for the position, we should be more careful about engaging. And the other one - Killer B - is a jinchuuriki don't underestimate him either. I heard that he is in full control of his tailed-beast making him even more dangerous. It would be a bad idea to go all out with them without any preparation and with three of our team members elsewhere." Naruto explained through excuses that Minato didn't want to hear. Still, there was a point to be made and he was beginning to see it.

The tension was broken when Kakashi bolted into sight and looked around apprehensively. His eyes fell on the scattered bodies of the clouds jounin, then they went to Naruto and Minato.

"You're kinda late Little Man." Naruto told him in a casually board way as if nothing serious had happened. He seemed good at that.

Minato also looked at the bodies then back to the Uzumaki, not being able to recall him using any jutsu in the times he had glaced his way. "Did you all that just using taijutsu?" he asked amazed. Naruto shugged it off.

"Well, I used shadow clones, and I took out that one with the help of a water jutsu." he pointed to the one who had his head smashed in. Minato nodded, impressed by Naruto's combat ability. He is probably a taijutsu master, he concluded. Then a thought dawned on him.

"Who were those shinobi from earlier, the ones with the masks? The looked like ANBU but they were dressed differently."

"They were from the Root. Most likely sent to keep an eye on me or to collect info on the Cloud nin, probably the former. That's why they didn't interfere when the fight started - they wanted to measure my abilities." Naruto explained. Minato's blue eyes widened.

"You mean Danzo's men?" Naruto nodded.

"Wait. . . how did you know they were there? Have they been following us this whole time?" Minato hadn't been able to sense anything while he patrolled during the long night hours.

"No, they only caught up to us two nights ago. But yeah, they're Danzo's men. If you concentrate now I'm sure you could sense them, they are just very good at concealing their chakra signatures. It's impossible unless you're looking for them."

Minato closed his eyes and focused. Sure enough there were three very faint, very well concealed signatures. He was utterly surprised Naruto knew they were there, Minato was very attuned to sensing chakra and even he had to bend all his concentration to pick them up.

He opened his eyes and examined Naruto. "They are were sent because of you?" he asked incredulously. Naruto shrugged.

"It's only a guess on Danzo's nature, like I said - they could also be here for the Cloud nin." though he didn't say, Minato picked up that he specifically meant the Eight-Tails.

"We should probably do something about that don't you think?" he didn't like the idea of being followed, and certainly not by men who report directly to Danzo.

Naruto just shrugged in answer. "I don't think it really matters. We should make a plan though if we do, they are very skilled and can hear everything we're saying right now." he informed which put both Minato and Kakashi on edge.

"That's not creepy at all. Why would someone from the Leaf want to spy on you or interfere with our mission?" Kakashi suppressed a shiver as he spoke. Now that he knew the silver-haired chunnin could feel their eyes on him. Guess who won't be sleeping tonight.

The expression on Naruto and Minato's faces when they finally took their eyes from the trees, surprised him. They were wearing identical looks of stern disappointment that made their similarities in appearance all the more prominent. They looked like twins.

"What?" he asked boredly. However, even though he would never admit it - the pair was very intimidating.

"Kakashi, where are Rin and Obito?" Minato demanded in a dangerous tone. Kakashi shrugged and looked away stubbornly.

Naruto put a firm hand on his head and turned it to face him. "Kakashi, why didn't you get them before you came here?" he asked in a stern tone.

"I didn't need them." Kakashi stated confidently. Naruto sighed showing his aggravation. He took his hand from the chunnin's head and stood only to look down on him.

"You can't decide that, your team is your strength and your arrogance is going to get either yourself or others killed." he scolded harshly. Kakashi pushed down the shame and guilt that he felt rush forward and try to settle in his stomach like a ton of rocks.

"Naruto is right Kakashi, however weak you perceive them to be, Rin and Obito could save you and the mission when you least expect it." Minato tried to persuade the stubborn kid to no avail. Naruto was again left trying to comprehend that this child in front of him would one day grow to be the man he had once called Sensei, they were so opposite.

He sighed and resigned to thinking it over at a later time, possibly during one of the countless sleepless nights he was sure to face.

"We should go meet up with the others and go over everything that just went down." Minato suggested. Naruto nodded and Kakashi made a sound of reluctant agreement.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

610K 7.9K 42
You're rafe Cameron's girlfriend. He's controlling, manipulative, and insanely jealous over you. (13/01/24) #1-Rafecameron (12/03/24) #1-Outerbanks ...
76.6K 1.4K 27
In the whirlwind world of basketball and broken promises, Nailea finds herself at a crossroads as she prepares to transfer to the same college as Pai...
255K 11.8K 68
Kang y/n was always been the black sheep of the family. Overshadow by her extremely talented, gorgeous sister Roseanne . Who has the world revolve a...
132K 6K 54
โ ๐ข'๐ ๐ซ๐š๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ซ ๐ง๐จ๐ญ ๐ฅ๐จ๐ฌ๐ž ๐ฆ๐ฒ ๐œ๐จ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ๐ž๐ž ๐ญ๐š๐›๐ฅ๐ž ๐š๐ฌ ๐š ๐ซ๐ž๐ฌ๐ฎ๐ฅ๐ญ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐ฉ๐ข๐ฌ๐ฌ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐จ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ ๐ญ๐ก๐š๐ญ ๐ญ๐ข๐ฆ๐ž-๐›๐จ๐ฆ๐› ๏ฟฝ...