The Last Drop |Tom Riddle|

Bởi marvelobsessed

It is no matter a question of what is right or wrong, good or bad, and black and white. Eleanor Peverell's l... Xem Thêm

Introduction
Chapter One: The Murder
Chapter Two: The Party
Chapter Three: Trial and Error
Chapter Four: Unbreakable Vow
Chapter Five: The Meeting
Chapter Seven: 1956
note
Chapter Eight: Traitors
Chapter Nine: Torn Between Two Evils
Chapter Ten: Ice Cold
Chapter Eleven: Life Is A Dream
Chapter Twelve: Behind Your Back
Chapter Thirteen: Loyalty
Chapter Fourteen: Love and War
authors note
Chapter Fifteen: Playing the Game
Chapter Sixteen: The Engagement Party
Chapter Seventeen: The Right Fit
Chapter Eighteen: You're Next
Chapter Nineteen: Try Me
Chapter Twenty: Can't Take It Back
false alarm
Chapter Twenty One: Playing With Fire
Chapter Twenty Two: The Fire Returns
Chapter Twenty Three: Trial of the Decade
Chapter Twenty Four: Change of Plans
Small Note

Chapter Six: A Good Christmas

1.4K 54 55
Bởi marvelobsessed

In a hidden corner of the Auror Department where not many would go, there was two large doors that led to a massive private working area filled with boards and desks to serve the purpose of completing large scale investigations.

Standing in front of two large boards hung to the wall, Eleanor and Colin presented the files of the several string of murders occurring more frequent in the past six months.

The room was bright and bordered by black columns with golden spirals to keep the room protected with a spell and the meeting table itself was marble that seemed to reflect the moon. In this table sat Minister Tuft, John, Julius, Anna and three other Aurors who were her closest aids and according to Colin, all of these people provided the most to the department.

They were given the official green light to make this into a larger scaled investigation with Eleanor taking point and this was the first large scale meeting being held on the investigation.

When she was dragged into this very room for safety all those years ago when Grindelwald assassinated the Minister before her father, she never thought she'd be leading an investigation in it.

"I believe I have narrowed it down to these four cases here." Eleanor said, pointing at the four case files spread out and pinned across the span of two boards. "Hepzibah Smith was an accident by an Elf, the man at Borgin and Burkes neglected a sign that indicated a cursed item, and the man in Birmingham was detected by Muggle respondents to have caused the fire in his home while under the influence of alcohol and never putting out his cigarette before passing out. Therefore, I've ruled them out as natural occurrences from just plain human error."

"Which leaves us with these four." Colin lead.

The two of them took turns explaining the overview of each of them. It was Eleanor's turn to explain Steve's murder.

"I believe this is not one man, but a group. A small group or at least a large organization sending out small numbers to conduct these attacks. I made copies for each of you to look at and I've assigned a number of you to each file. " Eleanor concluded.

"I know you have all glanced over these only for the parts you were responsible for, but this has become too much of a concern to the people we represent. The Daily Prophet has been making strong allegations that there is more fear in our people coming from the wizarding world than the Muggle world now days." Colin added. "People will not trust their Aurors if we cannot provide the real answers."

She had to admit; she hated that Colin worked with the Prophet.

There must have been some money to it because it was too suspicious for someone like him in a position to be on good terms with the one of few news sources for wizards. Most people from the Ministry utilized the Prophet for bad reasons.

For the next couple of hours, Eleanor and Colin listened to what their peers could gather and they both drew on the board in a red marker, making notes and connections over the files and pieces of evidence they could fine according to whatever they said. It's been a while since she had a full on meeting over this.

Even the Wilhelmina offered a few points almost as the outsider opinion. It was also reassuring to have someone there to encourage Eleanor along the way as well.

"What about him?" Julius pointed out. "The guy from the Wand Permit department? Uh, Maxwell Fordham. I remember he was under fire for trying to slow the process for Mudbloods to receiving their permits around the time I started and recently just took money from one of the pureblood campaigns up in Ireland."

"The Irish are having their own problems, those animals." another Auror scoffed. "There's been some lingering drama from that conflict in Ireland though. It wouldn't be a horrible idea to look at that."

Eleanor paused slightly, the gears in her head turning as the evidence overflowed her mind and tried to latch onto the words that came from Julius.

"That's not the point." she sighed. "That's Catholic and Protestant business, hardly any concern for the Wizarding Community."

Julius raised a hand. "Their religion isn't but these areas are dominated by half blood and muggle born wizard families. It could be a potential angle."

"I don't think that's really important either." Colin shrugged off.

Eleanor abruptly looked at Colin who looked to be bothered by Julius' suggestion, becoming quite frustrated actually. She'd look in his head to see what set him off about disregarding possible clues but she wouldn't bother him about it now. Perhaps in his egotistical mindset, no idea was good unless it was his idea.

"It might be though." Eleanor argued, looking back at Julius. "If the other's have relations to any of these radical groups that have been dominating are more crime active areas, it's not a bad idea to look more into it. They've been protesting left and right around Knockturn and Diagon Alleys."

"It might take a while with all the dirt these men might have. But taking the perspective of their character might be better than just the hands on evidence." Wilhelmina offered, standing up from her seat. "But it is Christmas Eve and as long as no one is murdered again over the next two days, I will see you all on Monday."

The Minister clasped her hands together and bid Eleanor a personal farewell for the short holiday break. She always allowed the Aurors to go home as long as they could be prepared to be on call.

While everyone grabbed their belongings from their cubicles and ran, Eleanor had to go out of the way to her office. In the silence, she stared down at her desk as she slid on her wool coat and felt the guilt wrapping around her mind. She had successfully diverted the attention from the cases Tom was responsible for and something as simple as that made a single drop of sweat break on her forehead. But the murder of the muggle family was still on the rocks.
It wasn't easy being a liar; a skill most of those who worked her acquired quickly.

Like her father, that wasn't something she would take pride in.

"Ready to go?" Colin said, knocking on her door.

"Yep." Eleanor sighed, grabbing her bag before leaving out the door with him.

Once in the elevator, she stood straight with little to no movement as it moved up and to the side a few times until they were in the atrium. It was busy with those hurrying to leave and she enjoyed the last bit of Christmas spirit that came with the dusted wreaths and sparkling lights and randomly placed Christmas trees.

This was always her favorite holiday.

"Any plans for the holiday?" he asked.

"Just family and friends. Nothing much tonight though."

As she answered, she hoped Colin wouldn't make an offer to visit. The holidays were not the time for fooling around with those who couldn't keep their egos in their pants.

"What about the other one?"

"Well we have that bloody Gala so--" she paused, gathering his suggestive look now. "Oh Colin I'm sorry." she said with an exasperated sigh. "I completely forgot to ask if you wanted to go. One of my friends from Hogwarts is going to be there and I haven't seen him in ages so he asked to go together."

"It didn't hurt to ask." Colin shrugged, a smug smirk on his lips. "Marcella did invite me over for Christmas dinner so we can always attend that together at the very least."

Eleanor rolled her eyes.

"Colin, I think you need a more formal title before we share holidays together again."

"Funny, you didn't say that last Christmas at the floor of the fireplace by your tree."

Eleanor, laughing, could not even hide the rush of heat that swarmed her cheeks and she swatted at his arm, tired of reminding him to stop being so outward in public.

Once they were at the center of the Atrium, she could hear the flashes of the cameras before the she even saw the dozen reporters rushing to them with their recorders and bright flashing cameras before them.

"Is it true that the Minister called a private meeting today in regards to the murders that have been happening?"

"Is the Magical Security office putting in more measures of safety for the holidays?"

"Did you run away from the crime scene of the murdered family because of how gruesome it was."

The onslaught of questions didn't bother Eleanor anymore. Well, they didn't overwhelm her at least. They sure as hell bothered her.

Putting her hand up she smugly commented,"If you back out of my face just a bit I could give you a proper answer."

The reporters obeyed her command like loyal dogs.

"So for that, myself, Colin Ludwick, and Minister Wilhelmina Tuft do not have any comments today, tomorrow, or any day between now and never." she concluded, ready walk off.

"Fortunately, Auror Peverell does not speak for me." Colin interjected, completely overshadowing Eleanor's existence to the hungry reporters.

She stared at him in sheer horror, lips parted slightly at the audacity of him to push her aside so easily.

"What has discussed will remain confidential until we can draw up a proper conclusion but for the holidays we assure you that you will be safe and Aurors will be on duty to assure that..."

Eleanor didn't even listen to what Colin had to say. She stormed off, ready to apparate home and enjoy prepping Marcella's home for Christmas day.

That man would do anything to get his face in the prophet at least twice a week and she wondered what brain disorder her had that could cause such a narcissistic way of life. She need not stress over someone who only portrayed themselves as intelligent and caused her an inconvenience just by existing.

But with everything going on in Eleanor's life, Colin was the hardest bug to rid herself of.

---

Christmas Morning, 1955

The few shops that were open in the small village beyond her home reminded Eleanor of Hogsmeade but for adults. Muggle adults that was. She was certain that adults loved Hogsmeade too but this place had more to offer for all ages.
Amid the cobblestone streets early in the morning just as the sun peaked over the hills, Eleanor walked with dozens of other Muggles who were grabbing last minute gifts. She simply wanted to grab fresh pastries from Lipkin's Bakery, a small white wooden cottage that gave the warmth and scents that filled the village.

The amount of gifts she picked up after leaving Colin yesterday was insurmountable and she had to hide them at Marcella's as that was where she spent the night.

After she left, a small box wrapped in a thin red ribbon, Eleanor left a generous tip like she always did. It was all she knew what to do with the money that was left over to her.

But upon leaving, she noticed an elderly man removing a string of lights from the shop window and when she stopped to take a peak, it seemed to have more lights inside. A bright idea had crossed her mind when she remembered that she passed the Malfoy Manor on her return home.

"Excuse me, are you still open for the day?" Eleanor asked, walking over to the bundled up old man who was a little shorter than her.

"Just about to open actually. Care to buy some last minute lights for the Christmas tree?"

With a smile, Eleanor nodded, a cynical idea brewing in her mind. She bought nearly a dozen boxes of lights and paid extra for the man to give him enough for two dinners tonight for whatever family he had and left towards her car. There were even more decorations on top of that that she paid for generously.

It was difficult when she lived near Muggles because she wasn't able to apparate as frequently as she'd like.

But driving in a fashionable car wasn't something she would complain about.

After a short drive past her house, Eleanor drove up to the Malfoy Manor, all within the same distance as her home and the small village of shops.
This morning she woke up a little more cheery than usual and she had a busy schedule to get to. Perhaps it was the initial high of kickstarting her own major investigation. But she opened the trunk where all of the strings of lights sat with random bows and wreathes and her joy had turned cynical.

The Mansion lacked any Christmas spirit, sitting cozy like a shadow wrapped in a white cloak that shimmered from the early morning light. For a second, it looked like an ordinary home but she was only reminded of the fact that she was going to make their lives a living hell just as much as they made it hers.

With her wand and free hand, Eleanor began pulling the strings from her trunk, they all soared out in different directions to wrap around columns, hedges, and railings around the house until she ran out. There wasn't much. But when it came time for her to add the wreathes and bows to every window, she could hear the heavy wooden door opening up front and she smirked, excited for them to see what she did to his home.

Abraxas Malfoy ran out, still in a cashmere robe and slippers, his head sloppy from his bed.

"What are you doing to my house?!" Abraxas yelled.

"Just passing by. Thought it could use a little more Christmas spirit." Eleanor called back, hiding her smug grin as she continued to decorate the home.

Abraxas was baffled, nearly slipping down his steps as he looked at the decorations flying from her car to his home and just as she wrapped it all up, Tom appeared in the doorway.
As usual, he was more reserved but even his appearance could not withstand a bad nights rest and what it made him look like in the morning. From here she could see his tousled hair and dark eyes. Or maybe the eyes part was how he always looked.

Nonetheless, she felt a mix of disdain for the boy as much as she felt the urge to be aroused by the sight of him.

"Abraxas, I love what you did with the house." Tom wryly spoke, observing the decorations as he walked towards the fountain. She remained on the opposite side of it.

"Oh, bloody hell." the boy muttered, storming back into your house. "Who said it was a good idea to bring Eleanor back?"

Eleanor laughed again, the stress of Tom Riddle being in her life causing her to be on the brink of insanity it seemed. But to see different faces peaking out from the windows of the mansion with the sheer horror on their pale white faces made it all more pleasing. When her decorations were complete, she crossed her arms and approached him, summoning a small gift bag from her car.

"Someone is finally asking the right questions!" Eleanor exclaimed, her voice going nowhere in the air.

Tom tiredly frowned. "What are you doing, Eleanor?"

"What? A friend of the happy band of Death Eaters can't wish her favorite people a 'Merry Christmas' and decorate the host's home? Plus, my cousins seem to be permanent residents here so I am entitled to bring gifts for my family." Eleanor spitefully replied.

While she woke up in a brighter mood for the holiday, it didn't change the fact that there was a chip on her shoulder from the burden placed on her from Tom's mission on top of everything else she was juggling. So the least she could do was release some of that tension in the nicest way possible. It seemed fitting for Christmas morning.

"Something tells me you woke up on the more passive aggressive side this morning." Tom said, slowly turning around with no patience on his face anymore.

"Well it's a Christmas miracle for you that I didn't wake up on the aggressive side of the bed!" she called out just as she walked up the icy steps trailing behind him.

"Merry Christmas, my Lord." she mockingly added, as she entered the Manor before he did.

Tom was left stunned momentarily, his feet stuck to the ground as he watched her walk through the doors with such a grace. It was as if she was in her element when her mind turned a little cynical just for fun. He allowed himself the briefest moment of a faint smile while her back was turned to him before going back into the house.

"Do you come bearing gifts?" Tom exhaled, his hands in his pocket, curiously watching her storm up the stairs.

"Other than my delightful presence, unfortunately not. But for my cousins I do so please lead me to their rooms." Eleanor called back despite already being ahead of him.

"Kind of hard to do when you're storming the place." he muttered.

Eleanor's lips curved and she waited for him at the top of the steps until he caught up. But before she could even let him lead the way, footsteps hurriedly rushed towards her and she caught sight of the twins making their way over. Her smile grew and it was the lightest she's ever seen their faces when they came to embrace.

"Merry Christmas, Eleanor." they said.

They looked more similar than ever with their round faces and plump cheekbones, sitting the biggest brown eyes that had flickers of gold in them that matched their very hair color. Emma had always liked her hair short after a while, letting the curls fall at her shoulders and Aaron was almost close to her length as well but it looked more like Tom's did. But the more Eleanor studied them, the more she realized they seemed genuinely happy.

"I will leave you all to it." Tom nodded, his face still like a rock as he looked down at them.

"My Lord." said the twins as he passed by.

Eleanor's head whipped towards them as she was almost distracted, enamored by him as he walked away. But hearing those words come from their lips was unsettling.

"I brought treats. I assume you're fed well?" Eleanor asked as they started walking.

"Yes, yes!" cried Aaron.

"It isn't that bad here. He pays Aunt Vera to make her think we have real jobs now." Emma shrugged.

They led her down a series of hallways before coming to the first room that belonged to Aaron. When she stepped in, to her relief it looked quite cozy. Pictures of family were allowed and his clothing was nothing short of luxury. As her fingertips brushed the cloth that hung in the closet, a pleased look sat upon her face. That had to have been Abraxas' doing. Aaron always looked up to him.

"Aunt Vera hasn't grown the slightest bit suspicious? None of the families at those meetings let out a peep?" Eleanor asked, holding out a small box of cookies and pastries them.

"We're fed well, but it's been a little bit since we've had food like this." Emma chuckled, eagerly grabbing the box that they would share.

Eleanor smiled and rolled her eyes. "I don't think you two would ever be treated poorly here. What I'm concerned of is what you realize you are getting yourselves into."

Aaron then frowned, crossing his arms as he rocked on his heels. To see the bracelet she made him still on his arm gave her plenty of comfort though. She wondered what had happened during his transitions and if he were ever alone. Who was there with him?

"I may not agree with the slander they speak of towards Mudbloods, but the Dark Lord's goals in this order would help people like me. It's not just the Mudbloods its the ones who fear the unknown, the ones who think darkness should be disposed of and wonder why it became so dark in the first place..."

Emma grabbed her twins hand, sensing his anger and even Eleanor tensed when she saw his eyes turn dark.

"I know." Eleanor sighed. "Eat a cookie." she chuckled lightly, putting her hand on his shoulder. "I just wish you knew you had others as well. But I understand. You go where change is promising. We all do. Now, Emma I want to see your room!"

The girl was excited to say the least as she hurriedly stepped out the room to lead them to the next one over. What sight awaited her had left her paused in the doorway with her mouth agape.

This room was given more space for a reason. The one end was simple with a bed, dresser, and a closet. Even the nice touch of a vanity was right in front of the window. But the very light that brightened this room shined on the other half that was covered in paint. Tarps covered that wall, a myriad of dark colors that reminded her of whatever space was like in her dreams were splattered across the the wall and different canvases.

It was straight out of the astronomy textbooks.

Ghastly faces appeared in the swirls, symbols too. Maybe a few places but they were vague. A notebook remain open on the floor with words written across it.

It was horrifyingly beautiful.

"Like it?" Emma chuckled.

"You...These are your visions?" she asked, her breath slipping from her as she spoke.

"The Dark Lord takes care of those who help him." she shrugged.

"Well, he's nice to you because you provide insights. I think he hates everybody else and I have pity points." Aaron corrected, seemingly unbothered.

"Tom did this for you?" she asked immediately, brows scrunching up.

They nodded, warily glancing at each other as she referred to him by his real name. Things truly changed even her cousins only knew Tom as the Dark Lord he had aspired to be. However, this Dark Lord had some humanity left in him after all if he was truly considerate enough to do this for Emma.

"Well, it was his suggestion to give me a larger room to be able to comfortable utilize my abilities. I had asked Abraxas if he would ask him to provide me the materials to truly capture what I saw and he said yes. In a way, I like to think he did it as a favor." Emma shrugged, her closed lip smile beaming.

Eleanor shook her head. Even Emma had too big of a heart for this household.

"I believe it." she agreed, stepping forward to hug them again. "If you want to, my old friend Marcella is throwing a Christmas dinner party tonight. I would love to see the two of you there tonight surrounded by family."

The were hesitant but nodded.

"I'll give him the heads up that you will be leaving on my way out." she assured, releasing them from their hug.

When Eleanor left, she navigated the halls and back to where Tom's study had been. His door was shut and she wasn't entirely sure if he was still in there. But as she lifted her hand to knock, it gently creaked open to her surprise and she entered.

Tom's eyes bore into his desk where paperwork awaited him. With a quill in hand, his moved fluently across the papers whether it be a signature or small note. It was an uncanny sight that reminded her of their school days. In his most natural and focused state, she watched his quirked brows remain frozen in place and his lips pursed into a thin line. He always seemed so hardened, unable to be cracked until he needed to focus on something.

"You were saying?" he asked, interjecting her wandering thoughts.

Eleanor straightened and started fumbling with her hands. She was staring too long.

"I was simply going to ask if you would be so kind to let Aaron and Emma be with family tonight. This isn't the place for them to be on the holidays and they've never been ones to miss the gathering."

Tom's quill stopped and he looked up at her.

Other than Abraxas and the small circle of his most loyal Death Eaters, the house would be more empty than ever tonight. Eleanor stood before him with her own eagerness to return home and start the festivities of the day and he was willing to test her patience a little longer.

"Have you ever considered they might not want to go back?" he asked, sitting the quill back in the ink.

Eleanor's hopeful look faltered. "Well, it's not like our family shut them out. We just simply lost contact after they quit their jobs and went running. Had I known they were going to be here it would have never happened. I simply ask you give them a choice."

Tom let out a dry chuckle. "If I may be observant for one moment, I believe Aaron has never thrived more until he joined us. Even his sister spends all day painting her prophecies. Did they mention that they live probably more graciously than most of the others?"

"I would presume that is Abraxas's doing. I know Aaron always looked up to him. Emma, on the other hand, I would say is just being put comfortably for whenever her knowledge is useful."

Tom leaned back and sighed as Eleanor's agitation grew.

No matter how happy they seemed, part of her didn't want to believe they found that happiness here.

"You know very well they are safe and comfortable. I provide an open door policy with all of my followers, Eleanor." he said, the charm oozing from his voice, almost revealing just how taunting it actually was.

Eleanor rolled her eyes. "How generous."

"I mean it. They are allowed to come and go as they please and I will take the liberty of reminding them that once you leave!" he encouraged harshly.

"Enough. I don't care for the petty drama anymore. If they arrive I will be grateful and if they don't, well then I suppose I will take your word for it." Eleanor cried, throwing her hands up as she was growing fed up of the wit bouncing back and forth. "I don't suppose you will be celebrating alone?"

Tom watched as her concern washed over him. For a woman who carried herself so highly she had little regard for the way her facial expressions worked sometimes. To revel in this knowledge was enough for him and he kept anymore comments to himself as the reality of his duties set in before him.

"I have more important things to attend to than pointless holiday traditions." Tom said flatly.

Eleanor tilted her head at him.

It wasn't the answer she was expecting. If anything, she thought Abraxas would be hosting something. His family always did but being that this Manor was short of any family values, she wouldn't be surprised if the house was quiet tonight. Part of her wanted them all to celebrate and find some humanity in this time.

Briefly, she recalled the last Christmas she spent with Tom Riddle. Her mother brought him in as her surprise and now six years later, he was walking up to her doorstep with a skull and cross bones rather than a big red bow.

"I would even be so kind as to invite you to our own holiday party but I wouldn't dare tarnish your reputation, my Lord." Eleanor cunningly replied, looking down at him through her nose. "I truly hope you find some Christmas spirit in that soulless heart of yours this holiday."

Tom tensed under her words and she couldn't hold back her smile.

"Don't hold your breath, darling."

Eleanor was leaning against the door frame now, knowing she had to leave soon. But no matter how much hate built the wall between them, she couldn't deny that her mind jumped over it sometimes regardless of its burning red flag for the sheer adrenaline that came with such witty banter with Tom.

"Sounds like a challenge to me and I don't ever come short on those." she shrugged.

Tom allowed himself to unease in his study and the work before him, grinning up at her as she toyed with him by her words.

"Merry Christmas, Eleanor."

---

"Merry Christmas!" Eleanor exclaimed, grabbing little Margot in her fluffy emerald green dress the second her friend opened the door.

"Merry Christmas!" Marcella chimed back, waving her daughters hand to her and the guest who had arrived at her side.

Colin Ludwick entered the home behind her, helping Eleanor carry the dozens of presents she got for Margot. Even though she was young, she had picked her unofficial niece all the presents that little village had to offer. Wooden trinkets, noise makers, and the moving books were a touch from Diagon Alley.

But as they squeezed through the thick wooden door, she couldn't help but flash her friend a knowing look that was mutually shared between the girls. It was an odd sight spending the holidays with a man who couldn't bother to commit to her life, but Eleanor was just as guilty.

More so now than ever with Tom's hold remaining strong since his return. The domestic relationship she shared with Colin felt rocky and awkward but it was all in her own head.

"Good luck. She wouldn't play with the little hut I made her that had the moving stars on the inside. Best thing you could do for a toddler with a small attention span and she doesnt like it." Marcella ranted as she shut the door and moved her presents by the towering Christmas tree.

Their Tudor home was small on the outside but inside, the off white walls and oak wood floors held more than the eye could see. It was smaller than hers but a similar style with just a living room where stiff blue furniture was placed. It felt more open with the wooden The large staircase that curved around the Christmas tree lead to a small balcony above their living room.

It was cozy and the perfect home for a family that Eleanor sometimes envied.

"Is Allan already cooking? I can smell the ham." Eleanor observed, carrying Margot towards the kitchen.

"I suppose that's my cue to go and help." Colin nervously laughed, sliding off his burley jacket, leaving him in the forest green turtleneck and gray, plaid trousers that fit him just a little too tightly.

"Magic can't help me cook, I'll let Allan have at it and your man too." she huffed, carefully raising a brow at Eleanor as they followed them into the kitchen.

"Oh hush, Marcella. That's never going to happen."

In their white tiled kitchen, two elves were also helping Allan who was still in his pajamas set up the appetizers and sides. Colin was merely reheating everything they had previously made that morning. Cooking utensils such as spoons and measuring cups flew between the two counters and bowls mixed themselves. It looked a mess to anyone at first glance but the little kitchen team seemed to have it all figured out.

"I guess we really don't have to do much then?" Eleanor asked, glancing at her friend.

"I just have to get dressed and get the table set out. There's going to be twenty of us here." Marcella said, glancing back.

"Let's get to it then. Let the men do the work."

"The least you can do is make us hard working men a drink!" Colin called out.

The girls took turns helping with Margot and keeping her occupied while the boys continued to cook. Those few hours flew by when they were all so occupied. Eleanor sometimes spent more time here than at home around the holidays for the fact that she was alone in that home.

Also, Marcella had been her closest friend since she was a child. She could never spend too much time with her. As she helped her friend get ready in her room, Eleanor had switched in a silky, deep red skirt that fell to her shins and tucked a white short sleeved sweater into it.

"So I heard you were invited to the New Years Gala. Who will be on the arms of the famous Eleanor Peverell?" Marcella asked enticingly. "Oh, what will you wear?"

"I'm not sure but I will definitely make some statement. With or without a plus one." she affirmed, sitting on the edge of her bed with a glass of wine in hand.

Marcella proudly nodded as she did her makeup at her vanity and she sat against her bed.

"Make a statement and then some, Eleanor, I'm getting so tired of it there. Sometimes I look back and wish we never looked at the place."

Eleanor nodded and sighed. "Me too. But some of us good ones have to stay."

Could she consider herself good anymore after what she was doing with Tom? She was equally as corrupt now as those up top leading the show but the difference was that she would suffer more if she were exposed. She shouldn't dwell herself with such thoughts on Christmas. Plus, she felt better after what she did this morning despite almost being pulled back into his allure.

"At least you work with Colin. He's braindead but so handsome." Marcella grinned. "When will you two tie the knot already?"

Eleanor laughed. "Never, Marcella. He's actually smart. Well, smart in being sneaky and working through the ranks. With woman not so much."

"Yes, but it's been so long since I've seen you have chemistry with someone like that. Or should I hold my tongue knowing Tom's back? Have you spoken to him?"

That was not something she wanted to think about now. Colin was in hot water with her after publicly being shut up by him. But she couldn't deny that her days would be boring without him. Tom was the one person she looked for in him every time they rekindled whatever they had and she was always disappointed. The presence of Colin was a professional one but in her romantic life, it would never fulfill what she wanted no matter how entertaining it might be.

But now that he was back, Eleanor felt like she didn't even know him anymore. The person she looked for in Colin wasn't even there.

Once the girls were ready, her family began to arrive first. Newt and Theseus arrived with their wives and some of Marcella's cousins came as well.
Then, Eleanor's father came with her siblings and their families. Evelyn's children, her eldest daughter and the toddler boy were the most rambunctious. and James had two twin boys Henry and Eric with his wife Caroline he married five years ago. It was a full family and her nieces and nephews were all spoiled just as greatly as Margot was.

It was a full house. Then, the Aurors came. It was really just Eddie and John. But they completed her father's group of friends with the Scamanders and the Aurors sitting together for the holidays.

Julius then came by with his girlfriend of a few years now just before dinner started. She was also a fairly new Auror and probably the reason he stayed around in the department.

Eleanor mingled with her nieces and nephews and then joked with the former Auror group. She felt at home with everyone shes ever considered family under one roof. Even Colin had made her a drink and hung around her side.
But at the same time, loneliness lingered even in the most joyful time of the year. From the record player in the corner of the room, Christmas tunes played loudly and echoed in her empty chest that heartfelt laughter tried to fill. This time of year also reminded her of her mother.

But Tom could not leave her mind alone tonight.

People like to challenge the idea that finding a significant other isn't the meaning of life nowadays, but Eleanor still wished she had a companion to enjoy this all with. With Colin, it was certainly enjoyable, but something didn't feel genuine about it.

After dinner as everyone let their food settle before dessert, Eleanor was sitting on the slightly uncomfortable sofa with Margot when her father took a seat next to her.

"I heard you got an invitation to the Gala. That's very impressive." said Lemus.

Eleanor looked over and in the warm light she painfully noticed his age.

"Yeah. I remember you always going even before you were Minister." she said, remembering the days she'd hug him goodbye on the holiday.

"Yeah, me too. I hated them quite honestly." he chuckled, making her laugh as well.

"I'm sure I need to live through it all before I can appreciate life without it." she shrugged.

She enjoyed her job and the friends she made and the adventures she had. She just had a stronger stomach to be able to handle what she saw every day.

"Exactly. I couldn't have said it better myself."

"Do you regret it though?"

"Well, not at all really. I supported you and inspired you and that's all that ever mattered to me." Lemus replied, smiling at Eleanor.

She knew that their bond was close despite the fact that he had her with another woman. It was times like these that she wondered what it would have been like if they had this time to be a family again.

Tears brimmed her eyes at the thought.

"Don't let me lose myself, okay?" she asked her father. "I have a bad feeling about this investigation."

After a moment of receiving the sorrow stare from her father, she smiled sadly and they hugged, his arm sliding around his daughters shoulder to hold her close. It took everything to keep her from bursting into tears.

"Come and visit me once in a while then." Lemus laughed. Then, they leaned back and he took her hands. "Only you are responsible for finding what good you want to hold onto. You either let the bad eat you up or you keep holding onto the good and that is entirely up to you."

Then dessert came out and everything was alright.

Eleanor had her family and that was something she could always count on.

---

Hey everyone! Sorry for the wait. This chapter was rushed but I'm glad I added in a bit of humor with malfoy manor and added to the plot itself with the investigation finally beginning.
I move into college tomorrow morning for the first time. Now my ideas are frustratingly still swarming and I just hope I find the time to write.

Until then, vote and comment!

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

270K 9.3K 106
She was a capitol elite. He was the youngest victor in history. Their friendship was frowned upon, but their love was forbidden. Extended Summary Ins...
226K 6.7K 77
Daphne Bridgerton might have been the 1813 debutant diamond, but she wasn't the only miss to stand out that season. Behind her was a close second, he...
135K 4.8K 39
❝ if I knew that i'd end up with you then I would've been pretended we were together. ❞ She stares at me, all the air in my lungs stuck in my throat...
195K 6.9K 96
Ahsoka Velaryon. Unlike her brothers Jacaerys, Lucaerys, and Joffery. Ahsoka was born with stark white hair that was incredibly thick and coarse, eye...