Chapter Three: Trial and Error

Weekends were more short lived for Eleanor over the years. As her job as an Auror became more demanding, she'd have to be called in while at home or merely doing some shopping. No matter, she actually kind of enjoyed being on the move. This weekend however was more demanding and she had very little time to herself when she needed it most.

The thought of Tom Riddle being alive and well had perturbed her despite being too busy to think straight. It made her feel guilty to still be excited at the thought of him as well. As the confliction burrowed deeper into her mind, she realized there was perhaps no right way to feel about it.

The early morning sun glistened over the black snow tarnished by the exhaust of cars and Eleanor mingled in with the rush of people, her eyes darting between Wizards and Muggles alike. Piccadilly Circus became brighter over the years with lights and billboards covering every surface of the buildings in the circle. These things were peculiar to her but she had become accustomed to their culture now more than ever and sometimes almost felt as if she was really apart of their world.  

But when she stepped into the red phone booth, she knew that reality was too far away.

Too many tensions have risen since the war ended in both worlds but the Muggles had it worse with their Communism. Protests have increased and more arrests have been made. She saw it every day when she came in and out of the Ministry. Had it not been for their agreement with the Prime Minister, surely anyone of her kind would have been senselessly arrested for merely looking suspicious.

Once in the depths of the Ministry, she realized she had been greeted more by the higher ups than she was used to. While she greeted her friends per usual, she had not expected to be greeted by more than just them. Friends of her brother and Colin seemed to nod their heads at the very least. She wasn't quite head of the department but it was close enough to be respected apparently.

"I did tell you that gathering would open more connections for you, did I not?" greeted Colin, as he settled into pace beside her before the two of them stepped into the elevator shaft.

Eleanor jumped at the ruffled presence of Colin who had seemingly jogged up to her according to his memory. She had a habit of doing this still with people she had stronger connections with. But despite his urgency she still regarding him swiftly and looked away.

"What did I tell you about speaking to me before my morning coffee?" she said with a subtle frown.

Colin only laughed, pushing his combed hair back into its neat position and stepped on the elevator with her.

"Morning coffee is going to have to wait dear, we have a trial to attend to."

Had others not stepped into the elevator she would have slapped him. Nonetheless she composed herself and silently continued to her office. Things were stirring up lately. Maybe it was just her being crazy, but she had felt this odd thing coming for a long time now and she wondered if this is where it would all start.

---

The finest plum colored silk settled upon Eleanor over her initial outfit for the day, the letter "W" elaborately sewn into the fabric with a silver string. The elegance and the honor could never be measured. To be a member of this at such a privilege according to anyone who did not have a seat on it.

The honor seemed to crack underneath of her after learning the truth behind the murder.

Eleanor was one of the youngest besides her brother to have a seat on the Wizengamot. Among the fifty in the room right now, her and Colin were the youngest actually.

One side sat him and the other side sat her brother. This position had come long before her promotion to Head Auror and it was once Steve who sat beside her to comfort her uneasiness at first and show her the proper way to go about these things. The two men she sat with now were either too involved or not involved enough, focusing on their own thoughts.