The Walled Cities

By ChristopherArmstron8

**Previously Featured in Wattpad Picks, Undiscovered for now.** Earth. Two hundred years after the fall of ci... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
MAP
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Kaelyn #1
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55

Chapter 39

262 35 4
By ChristopherArmstron8

Two days after we had left the clearing that had been home, I found myself full of anticipation. Half an hour ago we had paddled up the creek that was only a mile from home. Despite knowing the area and having seen the small dugout canoe I had made for traveling, Kaelyn and I had agreed to carry it back to the house.  Besides there was too much in it for one trip if we had left it at the creek.

That conversation had been the last we had spoken, as we were tired. Two days of paddling and carrying the canoe from stream to stream had been more than I had expected. Kaelyn though having not spent as much time in the wilderness as me had become as fit as me. Deep down I knew that she would push herself until I stopped.

Smoke was the first indication that we were near home, rising lazily into the air from the chimney. Before either of us could comment on it, excited shouts called out, "Their here, their here." Recognizing the voices of the children I found myself smiling slightly as I continued towards the house.

By the time we had reached the house, the children had climbed down from the tree they had spotted us from, and Cassie along with Ezekiel had joined them in watching us. Wanting to greet my family and tired of carrying the canoe and all its weight, I called over my shoulder, "One, two, three, and down."

Relieved of the heavy burden along with the pack I had been carrying, I gasped as both of the children collided with me. Weak and unsteady, they pushed me to the ground and fell on top of me laughing and crying at the sight of me. Reminded how hard it must have been for them I listened to their chatter and smiled. They were both old enough to know the dangers of this world, but young enough to have had few experiences with it or the consequences.

While the children demanded answers from me, I noticed that Cassie and Ezekiel were talking to Kaelyn. I could not tell what it was over the children's chatter, and I knew if it was important they would tell me about it later. For now I allowed the children to continue demanding answers which I answered as best I could.

After a few minutes Cassie ordered, "Children, go finish your chores. Then you can set the table for dinner. I am sure Z will tell you more then."

Muttering, both of the children left to do as their mother had asked. Still on the ground, I shifted my weight before rolling into a sitting position and then standing. Brushing the dust off of me, I waited as Cassie looked at me, a sharpness in her eyes. Unsure of what was to come, as I had not seen her like this since I had been a kid, I waited patiently.

"Dammit Zachariah. I thought you were dead. Ezekiel told me he had seen you both, but that you were unable to travel when he and the others left. It was bad enough he coming home injured, but the fact that you were injured as well made it worse. Can't men ever do something without having to get injured? And on top of that you disappeared with no word. We were worried sick. Now here you are, with a canoe and furs no doubt, looking as healthy as the day you left.." unable to continue her tirade Cassie ran to me and engulfed me in a hug.

Knowing I had caused her pain and worry, I held her as I made eye contact with Ezekiel. As brothers we understood each other and the slightest looks and movements were all we needed to communicate at times. After shaking his head slightly at the fact I had caused his wife so much grief, he cocked an eye at the stuffed canoe before nodding in approval.

Pulling away from me, Cassie looked over at Kaelyn and offered, "Thank you for making sure the adventurer made it back in one piece. I see the trip to Columbia went well, judging from your clothing, though I imagine you would like to wash them and yourself."

No where was there a hint of disapproval or anger in her words towards Kaelyn. What Cassie might consider frivolous expenses, I knew she also had approval for how Kaelyn had acted and was continuing to act. Gone was the frightened high society girl I had met. Instead there was a independent woman who while dressing the part of high society, worked and did whatever she could to be helpful.

"Yes we would both like to wash up and get this stuff stored before dinner. Its been a long two days and with trading season about to start we will soon be too busy for such pleasures," replied Kaelyn.

"I will get the bath ready. Z, you will go after Kaelyn."

Nodding my head in acknowledgment, I grabbed a bundle of furs and walked it over to the storage shed. Kaelyn joined me in transporting the goods inside where they would be protected until we were able to sell all of them. While we worked I explained to Kaelyn where we would be most likely to sell the various furs, and what a fair price for them would be. Kaelyn remained silent throughout it all, which allowed me to simply ramble as we worked.

When the last of the furs and garment had been stored I followed Kaelyn out and locked the building, before heading over to the house. While she headed for the bath, I began sorting through what was left to store. The harpoon I had put in the shed already, so there was just the bags and the rifle. Each of the bags held various things, but it was easy to sort out what went where. Kaelyn's bag I dropped off in her room before taking the satchel and my bag into my room. The rifle I leaned next to the door, where my rifles had always been when I was home. Most of the gear in my bag I left as I used it all whenever I was out trading or trapping.

By the time I was finished the bath was ready for me. Kaelyn had already gone into her room to prepare for dinner as I undressed and climbed into the warm water. Despite my rough and mangy nature, I enjoyed a warm bath when I could get one. Diving into a spring or other body of water came as a close second. Winter was the only time when I avoided swimming and only took baths when Cassie would threaten to scrub me herself. Getting wet in winter was always uncomfortable no matter how warm the water was. Even now as I climbed out of the tub I felt a chill as the crisp spring air sucked the heat from my skin.

Knowing that dinner would be ready shortly I hurried down to my room and slipped into a pair of pants and a loose long sleeve shirt. They were comfortable and provided a barrier between my skin and the Spring air. Ready for dinner I walked down the hallway, and into the room. Everyone was apparently waiting for me as they were all seated as I walked in. Taking my seat next to Kaelyn, I took stock of the meal before me. A roast of some kind dominated the table, with potatoes, winter squash, and the first greens of the Spring surrounding it. It was the first formal meal I had sat down at since Kaelyn and I had left Columbia.

While everyone piled food onto their plates and began to eat, I asked how things had been. Between bites Ezekiel and Cassie explained, "Fall was normal, once Ezekiel returned... helped bring in harvests... Ezekiel and some of the others tracked down a group of wild pigs that were running through the winter crops. Got a whole pig out of it... rangers pushed out that group of war wolves, no sign of them since... Shaw came by before the snow came, asked if we knew where you were, and Kaelyn as well... wants to see you both when you are able to make it over."

"He came here, looking for me?" Kaelyn asked.

"Nodding his head Ezekiel replied, "Yes, and he was especially worried once he heard about Columbia. Have you any news of the city?"

Gulping down a chunk of the roast, I replied, "Nothing good. Saw smoke more than once coming from it. Heard a naval battle going on outside the port entrance. Most of the population fled in early winter, as I encountered a pair of the raiders, and they did not look like they were still fighting for control of the city. Which means we have lost the only port city, unless we want to go all the way to Deadwater. Trading this Spring is going to be a pain with the loss of Columbia. Hopefully I can work out a contract with Shaw to protect us from losing their business to other traders."

"How long can that last Z!" Cassie snapped.

Beginning to reply, she cut me off, "No one is safe while they hold that city. We need the trade it brings, and people have whole lives revolving around port cities. Not to mention the fact that the War Wolves will keep pushing inland. None of the villages can fights the horde that will come down on them. It will be one massacre after another until they get to Notredram. Then what? Even with the rangers and whoever has survived up till then, Notredram still might get overrun."

"What do you expect Cassie. People don't work together well. I might be able to convince people to fight, but why should I. Last time I nearly died, and for what? The chances of retaking the city are slim, even if we can get a few hundred people together. Those walls are twenty feet high and built to last a thousand years, at least. There are the better part of fifteen hundred raiders in that city. Even if they have only a small supply of bullets and no artillery they can simply hack us to pieces. With all the guards from Notredram I could maybe kill a third of the raiders before it became too costly to continue. The fifty rangers of so could maybe get another two hundred kills. But that still leaves eight hundred pissed off raiders who will want nothing more than to kill all of us."

"Z, you could easily raise an army. In the little time I have been out here, I have seen nothing but respect for you from the Outsiders. They will listen and rally behind you. What choice do they have. Fight or wait to be killed. My father can get the guards and the rangers together, and talk to any refugees that you might encounter on your way there." Was Kaelyn's thoughts on it.

Knowing that Cassie and Kaelyn would push until I was swayed into agreeing, I replied, "Fine. But once that is finished I am going on a trapping expedition west. No one has ever left the West Woods."

"Well if we are all agreed, I think it is bed time for these two." Cassie stood up and gestured for the children to come with her.

Full and tired I stood up as well. After offering a goodnight to my brother I entered my room. Before I had done anything someone knocked on the door. Opening it, I was eye to eye with Kaelyn.

Surprised I stared at her, she had changed out of her dress into a gown Cassie must have lent her. Keeping my eyes level with hers and the crowd of thoughts out of my mind, I asked, "Yes?"

Looking at me she whispered, as if not wanting the others in the house to hear, "I was wondering if we could still sleep together. I know it sounds weird, but I have gotten used to you by my side at night, and I do not want to give up that feeling of protection and safety."

Moving out of the doorway, I gestured for her to come into the room. My heart pounded as I watched her climb into bed. This was an awful idea but I had come to enjoy sleeping with her by my side. How could I deny either of us that comfort, with our future uncertain.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Kairos By leigh heasley

Science Fiction

841K 23K 28
Time travel is legal and Ada Blum is looking for love. But what happens when one of her charming bachelors from the past makes his way to the present...