✔Paint Me a Murder | Book 1

By AliKatMeow

(Book 1) Everyone has another personality they don't want anyone else to see. New Syracuse is a town terroriz... More

Paint Me a Murder
Part 1: Bloody Brushstrokes
Chapter 1: Cocaine Cash
Chapter 2: Painted in Blood
Chapter 3: Deal with the Devil
Chapter 5: Escaping the Grim Reaper
Chapter 6: Safe and Sound
Chapter 7: Meet the Gang
Chapter 8: Murder Suspect?
Chapter 9: Away from Home
Chapter 10: Devil's Protection
Part 2: Art of Murder
Chapter 11: Eye for an Eye
Chapter 12: Guilty Conscience
Chapter 13: Searching for the Truth
Chapter 14: Sneaky Sleuths
Chapter 15:Breakfast Stakeout
Chapter 16: Innocent Until Proven Guilty
Chapter 17: Suspicions
Chapter 18: Community Service
Chapter 19: Archie, the Informant
Chapter 20: Secrets We Keep
Part 3: Killer Canvas
Chapter 21: Midnight Coffee Talks
Chapter 22: Make Me a Rebel
Chapter 23: Study Group
Chapter 24: Who to Trust?
Chapter 25: Trick-or-Treat
Chapter 26:Halloween Night
Chapter 27: Secrets from the Grave
Chapter 28: When Murder Calls
Chapter 29: Sweet Temptation(M)
Chapter 30: Morning After
Part 4: Shades of Truth
Chapter 31: Somewhere to Belong(M)
Chapter 32: Clusterfuck
Chapter 33: Lazy Bear
Chapter 34: Plan Into Action
Chapter 35: Snake in the Shadows
Chapter 36: Undercover Artist
Chapter 37: Death's Embrace
Chapter 38 : Recovery
Chapter 39: Truth Comes to Light
Chapter 40: The End is the Beginning
Book Discussion
Author's Final Note

Chapter 4: Bike Ride

1K 79 874
By AliKatMeow

Two days after Hank's murder, Jordy suggested that they get out of the apartment. Kazimir was tempted to stay at home, but Jordy insisted that wallowing in their pain alone wasn't the healthiest way to cope. With a killer still on the loose, Kazimir worried that they'd be the next targets.

Kazimir was so lost in thought, he almost missed his turn. When they respectively pulled up into the parking lot of a diner called the Wallflower, Kazimir's dealer and crush, Samantha Gresham waited for them beside her rundown jeep. She hadn't answered any of his texts yesterday, but seeing her again made his worries float away like the clouds.

It was rare to find individuals who walked around comfortably in their skin, but Samantha did. Her purple hair flowed freely in the breeze. She hid her bruises perfectly with makeup. Not a blemish could be found on her pretty face. She wore a black blouse and mini skirt, accompanied with some knee-high cat ear socks.

Kazimir fell for Samantha after she showed him some of her graffiti pieces. She used her art to paint their hideous town, always focusing on themes of death and love. But she didn't aspire to become an illustrious artist like he did. Her true passion was hair-styling.

Learning she dealt drugs only strengthened his desire to be with her. Part of Kazimir wondered if she'd join the Black Vipers to help with her career, but he never asked.

They both hid their secret lives of dealing and abusing drugs from Jordy. She made Kazimir swear on his life to never tell a soul about her working with the gang. Samantha had a plan to take down the Black Vipers, but she kept him in the dark. Despite how Samantha assured him she was in control, he still worried about her.

"Why didn't you guys ride together?" Samantha asked.

"I rode my bike here," Kazimir replied, gesturing to his blue motorcycle. "And he's too much of a scaredy-cat to hop on."

"I'm not riding that death trap. I value my life," Jordy scoffed.

"I love your bike. I think it's pretty badass." Samantha brushed up against him, letting her fingers touch his.

"Really?" Kazimir grinned like a fool. "Thank you."

"After supper, we should take a spin on it." Samantha's warm breath tickled against his ear. "Sound like fun?"

"Yeah, I'd love that."

Jordy walked ahead of them. "Come on. Let's eat. I'm starving."

Once Kazimir entered, he let the aroma of freshly brewed coffee and sizzling bacon embrace him. It reminded him of home as a child, when his father would cook a big breakfast for their family during the holidays or just for a special occasion. It was strange how the place brought back memories of when his cousins would visit from Russia with their babushka. Kazimir always loved when they flew into town to visit.

The Wallflower was a vintage family-owned diner designed like something plucked straight out of the eighties. They crossed the black and white checkered floor to reach the bar, where a server led them to a table near the window. A jukebox in the back corner played an older tune Kazimir wasn't familiar with. The daily specials were written out on a chalkboard swathed in lovely carnation lights, casting a delicate glow on the waiters and waitresses.

"Wow," Kazimir murmured. "This place is so cool."

"I knew we had to bring you here," Jordy said. "Their burgers are great."

"Don't forget the milkshakes. They're the best in New Syracuse." Samantha chimed in.

After being seated at one of the plush booths, Kazimir admired more of the delightful little diner. He knew he had to try the delectable strawberry milkshake when he saw it on the flip menu near the condiments.

"I can't believe your neighbor was killed outside the art gallery. That must have been so awful for you guys to find him. You both have my sympathies," Samantha said.

"It was awful. Hank didn't deserve to die like that." Kazimir cringed at the memory of finding his neighbor. "I don't know who would do such a horrible thing to him."

"It was someone from one of those fucking gangs." Jordy pounded his fist on the table. "I just know it was. I bet it was one of those Voiceless Rebels."

"Those gangs don't belong here." Samantha picked at the dark purple polish on her nails. "They're too dangerous. Someone needs to stand up to them before it's too late. I don't want to see anyone else get hurt or killed."

"It has to end. Both of the gangs need to be disbanded and imprisoned," Jordy said.

"You really hate them, don't you?" Kazimir asked him.

"I do. They're the reason why my brother's dead." Jordy gazed out the window. "Luca got involved with the Voiceless Rebels, thinking they were like some kind of family that would protect him."

"I'm so sorry. You never told me it was the rebels who did that to him." Kazimir slouched in his seat, propping his arms on the table.

Jordy sighed. "It's not your fault, man. I just don't want anyone else to end up like Luca. Nobody deserves that. I should've told you sooner. Dunno why I didn't."

"They should be in prison for what they did to Luca." Samantha clenched her fists, turning to Kazimir. "So, how do you feel about the gangs?"

"He hates those bastards just as much as us." Jordy playfully wrapped an arm around his shoulder. "Isn't that right?"

"Definitely," Kazimir lied. "The Voiceless Rebels are the worst."

Samantha smiled. "Glad we're all on the same page then."

Kazimir didn't hate anybody. The gangs were a nuisance, but they weren't the sole cause of New Syracuse's disintegration. Something happened before they took control. Kazimir was so sure of it, but he didn't have the slightest clue what it could be.

Getting rid of the gangs also meant getting rid of the drugs. While that sounded like a perfect solution, any drug addict like Kazimir knew chaos would ensue. They couldn't resist their cravings. They'd turn into ravenous beasts and stop at nothing to get what they needed to survive. People would kill themselves to get rid of the festering pain inside. Maybe they would even start to kill each other when paranoia kicked in. He didn't want to imagine the horrors of what would happen.

There wouldn't be enough room for everyone at the detox center. Not everyone would try to get in either. Many addicts gave up on trying to fix themselves long ago, like Kazimir did.

"Recently some college students have been helping the police spot out areas where they lurk the most," Jordy said. "Wanna help out, Kaz? I'm sure you could kick some ass if you needed to."

"I'm not sure about that." Kazimir rubbed the back of his neck. "I want the gangs gone just as much as you do, but I'd rather be a silent supporter."

"You haven't lived until you've watched them get hauled off in handcuffs, or better yet, get shot down in the street." Samantha gleamed.

Blood filled Kazimir's vision as Hank's bleeding body came to mind. He tried to shake aside the gory images of his dead neighbor. Kazimir couldn't understand why Samantha said such a horrific thing about the gang members, considering she associated with the Black Vipers gang. That could easily be her blood spilled in the street if things went south.

"Shot down?" Kazimir shivered. "Can the police legally do that?"

"If the gang member is a threat to their personal safety or other people, then yeah, they can," Jordy replied, drumming his fingers against the table. "They have gang wars over their territory a lot too. The police try to get them under control before anyone gets hurts, but it doesn't always end peacefully."

"Why do they fight over that?" Kazimir questioned.

"They wanna steal their dealing spots," Samantha explained. "If you ask me, the only place they belong is in a prison cell or six feet under."

"Good evening." The waiter intervened. "I'll be your server for the rest of your night. What can I get you folks to drink?"

That voice, composed of both melancholy and menace, sounded so familiar to Kazimir. He made eye-contact with the gentleman who would be their waiter for the evening, trying not to gasp. Samantha nodded her head at Kazimir, briefly looking over at their waiter.

Emmett was donned in such a ridiculous uniform; a lime green button up, black apron, and bow tie. The gangster retrieved his handy little notepad and pen, flipping to a fresh page for the order. Everyone told him their desired drinks as Kazimir studied him.

Emmett looked over at Kazimir. "And, for you, sir?"

Kazimir told him what he wanted, watching as he jotted it down then walked back to the kitchen. He gazed around the room like a cat perched in a room full of rocking chairs. Anybody could be working for the gangs. Were there other gang members masquerading as waiters?

Fiddling with the flip menu, Kazimir tried to get his restless leg to stay still. He tried to think back on the days he got high, but he couldn't remember. Yesterday, maybe?

Emmett returned shortly with their drinks, managing to balance all four on a single silver tray. He handed each out, saving Kazimir for last.

"Your food should be out in twenty minutes." Emmett turned to walk away, but Jordy called him back.

"How do you feel about these pathetic gangs, man?" Jordy asked him. "Like the Voiceless Rebels. Isn't that an ignorant name? Sounds like some kinda wannabe rock band."

Emmett shrugged. "It's different, I guess. I try to keep to myself. Don't wanna get involved with those people."

Kazimir took a ginormous sip of his strawberry shake, taking it down in one gulp. There was no way he could tell Jordy to zip it before he got them all killed.

"I think it's inspirational," Kazimir spoke up. "I mean, if you think about it, the name is pretty cool. I don't condone their actions. I just think they have a badass name."

"Artists find inspiration in everything." Jordy groaned. "I bet you could find inspiration in that wad of napkins."

"You're an artist?" Emmett asked, as if he didn't already know.

Jordy intervened, "He sells his paintings but he usually ends up burning the money on art supplies."

"I'd love to check them out." Emmett grinned. "You busy tonight? I get off work soon."

"Tonight?" Kazimir didn't know how to respond. What did the gangster really want from him?

"Sorry, but he's busy tonight. Remember? You promised to take me on that bike ride." Samantha swooped in to his relief.

"I did, didn't I? I can't just cancel my plans. You understand, right?" Kazimir asked, biting on his lower lip.

Emmett frowned. "Rain check then?"

"Sure. How can I contact you?"

"Can I have your phone number?" Emmett pulled a cheap android phone out of his pocket and handed it over to Kazimir. Emmett patiently stood by their table as Kazimir saved his contact. He was surprised Emmett's manager didn't chew his head off for lingering around so long.

"Are you a college student too?" Jordy asked him.

"I earned my associate degree in business this past summer," Emmett replied. "I graduated with high honors, nothing less."

Kazimir was surprised. "Really?"

"Why are you a waiter?" Jordy asked. "You have a degree. Go out and pursue the career of your dreams."

"It's not that simple." Emmett scratched at his cheek.

Kazimir didn't understand that weirdo at all. Why work at the diner if he graduated college? Out of any artist in New Syracuse, why did he want him in his gang? Sure, he had talent with a paintbrush and spray can, but so did many others. What kind of hidden agenda did Emmett have? What did he really want with him?

Emmett brought their orders out soon enough. While Kazimir ate, he couldn't resist keeping an eye on the gangster. He failed to keep his focus on his friends' conversation as they talked more about the gangs.

"Jordy's gonna eat all of your fries if you don't stop spacing out," Samantha muttered.

Pulling his gaze away from Emmett, he realized Jordy had eaten almost half of his basket of waffle fries.

"Stop it." Kazimir swatted his hand away.

Jordy shrugged. "I didn't want you to waste food."

Their banter echoed throughout the diner. No one would suspect any of them associated with the nefarious gangs.

Emmett gave Kazimir a sly smile as he cleaned a table across from them.

🎨

They returned to the parking lot of the Wallflower diner, crossing under fake little spiders dangling from the awning of the restaurant. Kazimir put his cigarette out in the handmade ashtray, smiling at Samantha as he admired the festive Halloween decorations. Black was her favorite color. When she dyed her hair purple, he was so happy. It was like she was starting to open up to all the other lovely colors of the world.

Heat rose in Kazimir cheeks when Samantha met his gaze and grinned back at him. Imagining those pretty pink lips of hers pressed against his own made his heart almost burst out of his chest. His feelings for Samantha had developed around the time they started painting graffiti together in an old tunnel she showed him, and then when she helped him with his drug fix. Kazimir loved being around her, no matter what they were doing.

Samantha swiped some candy from a plastic jack-o-lantern. "I need to grab something from my jeep real quick. Then we can get going, okay?"

Kazimir nodded. "Okay."

Jordy nudged his side when she was out of earshot. "Are you finally going to ask her out?"

"Keep your voice down," Kazimir whispered. "I don't even know if she's interested in me like that."

"Oh, come on. It's obvious she has the hots for you," Jordy insisted. "Take a chance on her. Trust me. She's a wonderful person. Why do you think we've been best friends since middle school?"

"I can't argue with that. Samantha's amazing and everything I'd want in a girlfriend."

"You won't know how she feels about you until you try. So, go over there and get your girl." Jordy patted him on the back. "I'll see you when you get home."

As Jordy walked off to his car, Samantha and Kazimir headed toward his bike. She fell in step with the artist, brushing close enough to him that their shoulders touched. They were close to the same height, with Samantha just a tad bit taller than him.

"I've never rode on a motorcycle before. I trust you to keep me safe."

"Just hold on tight." Kazimir interlocked their fingers together. "You know I'd never let anything happen to you."

Kazimir handed Samantha his spare helmet when they reached his motorcycle. He expected her to be nervous once they hit the road, but she seemed to enjoy it.

New Syracuse was swathed in silence that evening. Kazimir steered aimlessly through the labyrinth of streets, passing many dilapidated buildings. Streetlamps guided them down the narrow road as he drove them downtown.

Viper Lounge, an LGBTQ nightclub, was the only place that glowed with life. A drunk couple staggered across the street, giggling and paying no heed to the traffic light.

"I think we're in Black Viper territory," Samantha whispered, tightening her arms around Kazimir's waist.

She was right. Kazimir was supposed to take a left turn a street back to circle around. As long as they didn't encounter anyone, they should be alright. What would the gang members want with them anyway?

"Snakes never scared me."

"You're so brave, Kazimir. Can we pull over there for a minute? It's just... I need to ask you something. It can't wait."

Kazimir pulled over into the vacant parking lot of an old drug store and killed the ignition. His heart thumped in his chest as they both pulled their helmets off.

"Is something wrong?" Kazimir asked as he climbed off.

Samantha hesitated when she rose from the seat and brought her hands to Kazimir's face. She took a moment to stare into his eyes before pressing her lips against his. They felt so soft and warm to Kazimir amid the chilly fall night. He loved the way Samantha's body melted into his as their kiss deepened. Wrapping his arms around her, Kazimir savored the sweet moment of their first kiss.

"Mmh, Kazimir. Do you want in on a little secret?"

"What is it?" He pressed his lips against her neck.

"I really like you. A lot." She arched her back slightly. "That's why... I hate having to do this."

The pain that sliced Kazimir's upper arm was unpleasantly warm. His eyes watered as he blinked fiercely at Samantha, focusing on the bloody knife she'd sunk into his shoulder. Her sweet smile morphed into one more sinister. She yanked the knife out and sprinkled his blood all over them.

"Why..?" Kazimir clutched his bleeding shoulder as tears stung his eyes.

Samantha pushed herself off his bike then grabbed his chin, tilting it up toward her. She kissed him again and bit down on his lip until he could taste his own blood. When she pulled away, she brought the bloody knife to his mouth as if she desired to shove it down the back of his throat. Kazimir pressed his lips tightly together and squeezed his eyes shut until she moved it down to his chest.

"Don't play stupid. You're working with the Voiceless Rebels!"

"What are you talking about? No I'm not. I-I thought you liked me."

"You're a cute little horny bastard. I know what you were planning to do. Thought you were clever with this bike ride. You were gonna kill me for that bastard."

Kazimir kept pressure on his bleeding shoulder, wincing. "What? You've got it all wrong. Samantha, I'd never hurt you. I really like you. That's why I brought you out here. I-I wanted to ask you out..."

"Don't fucking lie to me. One of the vipers saw you plotting it out with Emmett." Samantha pulled her backpack off and retrieved a zip tie. "Just admit it. You stabbed me in the back for that fucker!"

"I swear, I didn't. I have no idea what you're talking about. This is insane. Please, you have to believe me."

"You're better than this." She seized both of his arms. "Hold still. Liars like you deserve to be punished."

The zip ties stung Kazimir's wrists as she tightened them to ensure he wouldn't escape her. Only the moon and stars bore witness to the artist's sudden kidnapping. Kazimir tried to pry the zip tie apart by tugging it, but that didn't help.

"What are you gonna do to me?" Kazimir whimpered.

"I'll force you to confess." Samantha led him toward the old drug store. "You'll learn to never betray me again."

Emmett had been right all along.

As Samantha wielded her bloody blade, she laughed like a maniac. A new personality seeded from the lovely young woman Kazimir had fallen for. Samantha was a Black Viper, and he was her feeble mouse to prey upon.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

130K 5.3K 75
A girl whom I thought as my best friend standing before me with a knife to kill me. She stabbed the knife onto my chest and told me "He will not like...
2M 86K 91
•UNDER EDITING• Abhimanyu Chowdhary-A mysterious 28 years old man. CEO of Chowdary group of companies. He has looks that every girl craves and go cra...
46.7K 6K 61
"Se refiere a la belleza de corta duración de la flor de cerezo" ╰──➢ Advertencias ✧ ⁞ ❏. Omegaverse < SLOW BURN ⁞ ❏. Todoroki Bottom! ⁞ ❏. Smu...
4.4K 180 12
"𝐢𝐭'𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐦𝐲 𝐟𝐚𝐮𝐥𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐢'𝐦 𝐬𝐨 𝐚𝐦𝐚𝐳𝐢𝐧𝐠." in which a mysterious yet obnoxious, dead girl has been following the unusual gr...