Town Reject

By RaeRee

Veronica Wilson has been bullied since she could remember because of her size. She is overweight and nobody l... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Epilogue
City Reject (Book 2)

Chapter Eight

641 37 2
By RaeRee

Confused I grab all my things and made my way towards Lucas. "Wait in the truck, little piggy. I'll be there soon, I just need to talk with Ryder." Lucas growled. Did he just tell me what to do? I stood still. Oh hell no! Lucas closed his eyes and dragged a hand through his hair annoyed. Smirking I made my way towards the drivers side of the truck and he growled. "I don't f**king think so! You are not driving my truck! I would like to get home alive tonight thanks." Lucas said. What a d***! I'm a great driver! Sure I didn't really have anyone to teach me but I'm still a good driver! No accidents yet! I stomped my way to the passengers side pouting. Whatever! I didn't want to drive this stupid truck anyway.

I waited inside the truck watching Lucas and Ryder as my nerves start to get frazzled. They both looked so angry and not being able to hear a thing they were saying was slowly driving me crazy. I sadly wasn't born with that part of the brain that could allow me to read lips.

Seeing that things were starting to get heated I pushed open my door, trying to figure out a way to calm them down. Before I could get out of the truck I saw Lucas punch Ryder in the face. My eyes widened in surprise and made a move to get out of the truck when Lucas suddenly climbed in and slammed the door. "Close the f**king door! We're leaving!" Lucas yelled.

Confused about the situation I closed my door and put on my seat belt while Lucas speed out of the carpark like a cat on fire. His hands slowly turned white with how hard he was gripping the steering wheel. Lucas was angry. It's the first time I've ever actually seen him this angry before. "Lucas, are you ok?" I whispered quietly. He didn't acknowledge me at all. Just gripped the wheel tighter and kept driving towards town.

We arrived at my house and both got out. Lucas had calmed down but I knew he was still angry. I unlocked my door and turned to him. "Do you want to come in?" I asked nervously. He nodded and walked in. I quickly followed behind him, nervous. What made him so angry? He went to the kitchen and started rummaging through my fridge. I rolled my eyes and sat on a bar stool facing him. Boys and their damn stomachs, food first as usual.

"Why did you leave with him?" Lucas asked breaking the silence while still looking through my fridge. He slowly starts pulling out ingredients for a ham and cheese sandwich. "You know why Lucas. You may be an a**hole but you're not an idiot." I say calmly. It's true though, Lucas my be an a**hole and act like an idiot but I knew he got straight A's for all his classes. The only reason he's not in my AP classes is because he didn't want his friends to know how smart he was so refused to move classes. He's also really good at reading people, it's how I know he knows how I feel about him. It's how I know that when he came to me about this bet he knew I would help him. It's one of the things I hate about him.

"How can you like that a**hole?" Lucas asked confused. I give him a blank stare and rest my head in my hands. His lips twitch but he says nothing. You tell me a**face?! How can I like an a**hole like that?! Like you. I roll my eyes and think back. Now that I think about it Lucas never told anyone how I felt about him, he never got smart to me about that. "Hey Lucas... how come you never told anyone about how I felt?" I asked curious. Lucas flinched slightly and if I hadn't been watching I no doubt would of missed it.

"That's a complicated story V. Are you sure you want to hear it?" He asked looking up at me. I nod and he takes a deep breath. "Ok then. The reason I never told anyone was because I liked you too" Lucas finally answered, looking me straight in the eyes.

"I'm actually dreaming right now aren't I? I'm still at school asleep during that boring AP Trig class and dreamt all this happened. Ryder didn't talk to me and I know for a fact that Lucas would never say that to me. Yup! That's it. I'm totally dreaming right now." I babble, shaking my head to try wake myself up. When that didn't work I tried pinching myself. Ouch! That hurt! Wait... If it hurts that means I'm not dreaming. But I have to be dreaming! Lucas said he liked me!!! C'mon Veronica, wake up! If you stay in a dream like this you'll start to become delusional. I kept pinching myself again but it still wasn't working. If anything I was just giving myself more and more bruises. There's no way!

"It's not a dream Veronica. You're very much awake right now and what you heard wasn't a lie. You know how the saying goes right? Boys usually pick on the girls they like." He said softly. There it was again. He just said the words I never once expected to hear from him. I sucked in a shocked breath when my eyes clashed with his emerald green eyes. He was telling the truth. His eyes were clear, giving me a rare glimpse inside his head. He hid nothing as I looked deep into his eyes seeking the truth. He wasn't lying. Lucas Knight had a crush on me too?!! I'm going crazy.

I can't even get my thoughts together. A part of me leapt with joy to hear those words but the rest of me was sad. Lucas and I would have never worked out anyway. There was too much history between us. Too many voices around us. "Listen the only reason I'm telling you this is because I owe you one. It's thanks to you that my stupid bet with Jack was cancelled. I'm not sure what you said to him but whatever it was it totally worked! It shocked the hell out of me when he said he was just joking about that f**king bet! He said he didn't say anything earlier because he got a laugh out of seeing us two together. Can you believe that s**t?! Fucking a**hole!" Lucas growled. Huh... So that's the lame excuse Jack came up with. How stupid. I can't believe Lucas actually believed that stupid lie! It was so obviously a lie! A small part of me knew that Lucas knew it was a lie as well but we both avoided the subject.

What I want to focus on right now is the fact that Lucas actually had a crush on me! Can you believe that shit?! Because I sure as hell can't! "I can't believe you actually liked me but that obviously doesn't matter now. You're going to break up with me now right? Well, fake break up with me anyway." I whispered quietly. Lucas took a huge bit of his sandwich and kept quiet. "..wurst ell me whas gowing on wiv uw n Wyder." Lucas mumbled with a mouth full of food. I scrunched up my nose disgusted. "Ew and nothing is going on between me and Ryder." I said bored. Lucas gave me a blank stare and put his sandwich down. "You're kidding me right? I've seen the way you look at him Little Piggy. It's the exact same look you used to give to me, so don't just sit there and lie to me. What's going on between you two?" Lucas growled. I looked down caught. Damn it's annoying how well this asshole actually knew me.

"I have absolutely no idea what's going between me and Ryder. We knew each other for all of a couple weeks Lucas and the way I feel about him doesn't make any sense at all!" I whispered looking down depressed. It hurt to admit but Ryder and I knew next to nothing about each other. Ryder's word from this afternoon flittered through my head. What did he mean? Sure there was a couple times when he looked scary but I never thought he was dangerous. I knew deep down Ryder would never hurt me. Well not physically anyway. "Love doesn't have to make sense V, I mean look at the two of us. I practically tortured you your whole life V but you still liked me didn't you? And what about myself? Every time I saw you break down and cry I hurt but I was always so proud when you would show up the next day with your head held high and those stupid little pigtails. Those same pigtails you had all through kindergarten and primary school. No matter what I did you kept the same hairstyle. But enough of that, this talk is starting to get a little too emotional for my liking. All I want to know is if you want me to help with Ryder?" Lucas asked, blushing slightly. I smirked and shook my head.

"I want you to hurry up and leave so you can go make out with Sophia again. I didn't mean to interrupt your guys make out session when I called earlier but I really needed a ride." I said smirking. Lucas' eyes widened in shock and he dropped his sandwich onto his plate again. His face turned bright red and it was then I knew I was right. They had been making out. I knew all too well Lucas' voice when he was turned on. I shivered slightly disgusted. "How? How did you know?! I mean I wasn't making out with Sophia! We would never do that to you!" Lucas rushed trying to cover himself. I waved his excuses away. I honestly didn't mind. Sure when I first heard his voice I had been a bit upset but then I realised I was happy for them. I wanted him and Sophia together. "Don't worry about it Lucas. I know how much you guys like each other and it's not like we're really dating anyway but can I just ask one favour? Let me punch you once because that was still a d*** move." I said smiling brightly. Lucas knowing me too well stood up and backed away slightly. He raised his hands trying to calm me down. "Now now Little Piggy, calm down. If you punch me I'll die!" Lucas cooed, trying to calm me down. I rolled my eyes at his exaggeration. He wouldn't die if I punched him but he may wish he had. I smirked at him and got up, watching his eyes widen and he backed up more.

It's not that I was particularly strong or anything but I still had a solid right hook and Lucas has taken a few of them before so now he's wary of them. My smile grew even more when his back hit the kitchen bench and I'm sure I looked like an idiot now but I didn't care. Clenching my right hand into a tight fist, I pulled back to swing when Lucas surprised me. He quickly stepped forward and kissed me. Gently holding my head he pressed his lips tight against mine. I gasped in shock and he took the chance to run his tongue against mine. He kept kissing me for I'm not sure how long but slowly I began to relax until I hesitantly pressed my lips harder against his soft lips. I heard him make a noise in the back of his throat which caused my legs to give way under me. Lucas caught me, spun us around and place me on the bench. My hands found there way into his hair and I began pulling not so softly.

His groans became louder and our kiss started to heat up. He bit my bottom lip hard and I soon started tasting blood. It was like a ice cold bucket of water had been dumped on us and Lucas quickly ripped himself away from me. Both of us panting heavily. Lucas just looked down at the floor his hands clenched tightly at his sides. "Lucas?" I gasped shocked. He refused to look up at me and I sagged down against the bench sad. "I have to go." Lucas growled and stormed off, not even sparing me a glance. I looked down, staring at my lap, feeling used. My eyes started to sting and no matter what I did the tears wouldn't go away. I'm not sure how long I sat there crying but it was long enough that I felt chills down to my bones from the cold. I shivered against the cold and slowly made my way to my bed.

***

Waking up after a full night of crying is the worst thing ever! My eyes are all puffy and my throat is crazy dry. What's even worse though is the reason I'm crying. Don't get me wrong, I've cried myself to sleep many times over the things Lucas has done to me but I sure as hell didn't expect I would ever be crying because he KISSED ME!!! Can you believe that s***?! What is it with the men in my life? Do you know how depressing it is that every male you've ever meet has made you cry? I licked my lips in annoyance and winced slightly when it stung. My lips still hurt from where Lucas bit me too hard but I didn't mind as it was the only proof I had that we really did kiss. I shook my head and realised we had actually kissed before but this time it was so different. This time I got to enjoy it. Oh f*** my life!

I groaned in annoyance when my alarm clock once again screamed at me to hurry up and get up. I dragged myself out of bed slamming my damn alarm to shut it up. I was being stupid again and decided to get over it and just get ready for school. I made my way downstairs and made a quick sandwich before heading to school.

The school was loud and crawling with people as I stepped out of my car and was suddenly slammed into a tight hug. I gasped for breath and looked down to see Sophia hugging me tightly. Her grip tightened and I tried pushing her away. "Too tight! Soph I can't breathe! Let me go!" I gasped out. She released her tight hug and gave me a sad smile. "Are you ok V?" Sophia asked quietly. I gave her a sad smile and shook my head. "I have no idea what's happening with my life anymore Soph but there's something important I have to tell you about Lucas. Last night when he came to pick me up we..." The bell rang interrupting me. I frowned and Sophia made a motion meaning we'll talk later and took off towards her class. Not happy that I got interrupted but seeing no other way I followed after her.

I focused on my classes wanting to distract myself. It wasn't until I felt Sophia tapping me on the shoulder that I realised it was actually lunch time. Blinking I looked around confused and realised I was actually in the lunch line holding things up. I head people grunt in annoyance and quickly looked over all the food. Someone finally decided they had enough of waiting and stomped their way toward me.

Me and Sophia watched in surprise as Ryder filled all three of our trays with food that made me drool. Pizza, hot chips, coke and chocolate chip cookies. He also gave himself an extra pie and potato chips. Ryder then proceeded to grab my wallet out of my bag and paid for everything. Before dragging us both to a table outside. The same table I use to sit at with Ryder. Sophia and I stared wide eyed at Ryder while he sat down and motioned for us to sit across from him. Deciding we were more hungry than surprised we sat and started eating. "Hey! Why did I have to pay for all of this?!" I grunted halfway through my meal. Ryder looked up and smirked that crazy sexy smirk at me and once again my heart leapt. Even with the small bruise he had on his face from where Lucas punched him. I was so busy trying to calm my heart that I didn't realise his eyes had turned cold. "You kissed him." Ryder growled.

I tensed shocked. "What?" I asked surprised. "You kissed that motherf**ker!" He shouted, this time standing up and glaring down at me. Now there are many things I'm scared of, my mother, the dark, the twins but Ryder sure as hell isn't one of them. Sure he was huge and scary looking but he didn't scare me. So up I stood and glared right back at him. "Don't you dare yell at me Ryder! Now what the f*** are you talking about?!" I growled back. I saw something flash in his eyes, his mouth twitched and I knew I had somehow amused him. I have no idea what I did but yelling back had somehow calmed him down a tiny bit. I rolled my eyes even more confused. What's up with this dude?

"You kissed Lucas?" A gentle voiced croaked in pain. My face paled and I slowly turned to face Sophia. Tears brimmed her eyes and she stepped away from me. "He's lying right V? You didn't kiss Lucas? Right V?" She asked, taking another step away from me. I reached out for her but she dodged my hand. She blinked her eyes fast trying not to cry. "Soph... I'm so sorry! I was going to tell you." I pleaded. It was then I knew I made the worst mistake ever. Her eyes turned cold and hard. Anger and disgust filled her eyes. She took a step closer to me this time and raised her hand. I braced myself but it still wasn't enough. The slap hurt more than anything and it was strong enough that I tripped over the seat and fell flat on my ass. I held my hand to my face and watched her walk away.

I watched her and from the corner of my eyes I saw someone coming towards us. Lucas. His eyes confused. I meet his eyes and mouthed "She knows". Lucas froze and quickly took off after the retreating Sophia. Well... decision made I guess. Not that it was really mine to make anyway. My face stung like a bitch and I deserved it. I was the worst best friend ever. I had kissed someone who was 100% off limits. True, the person I had kissed was sort of my fake boyfriend but that doesn't mean anything. She's my best friend. I should have never kissed Lucas. I dropped my hand and looked up at the sky, wanting nothing more than to disappear. I felt something cold touch the side of my face and jumped in surprise. Katie stood there holding a bottle of cold water to my face. I blinked surprised but smiled up at her and gratefully accepted the cold water. Instead of making me get up, she sat with her back against mine and we leant against each other. I didn't even bother looking up to check if Ryder was gone. My skin wasn't on fire like it normally is when he's around, so I knew he was long gone.

"What happened V?" Katie asked after some time. I sighed and dropped the water from my face, it was warm now anyway. "I made a huge mistake Katie. I kissed Lucas." I winced as I said the words. I made more than a mistake. I've no doubt ruined things with Sophia. She'll probably never talk to me again. "Wait? She slapped you like that for kissing a boy that's not even her boyfriend? Better yet that boy is technically your boyfriend anyway? What right does she have to be angry with you? Isn't that just stupid?" Katie ranted upset. She does have a point but I knew how Sophia felt about Lucas. Hell I even knew how Lucas felt about Sophia but that didn't stop me. "You're right Katie but it's complicated. Lucas and I aren't really dating. Besides its not me he wants to be with and I sure as hell don't want to be with him. We both like someone else, we just sort of got caught up in the moment." I said sadly. "Judging from that cut on your lip, you guys got a lot more than caught up in the moment." Katie teased. I pushed back against her and she laughed softly. Shut up Katie! This isn't funny! I've really messed things up with Sophia and don't need you making jokes!" I growled upset. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you more, I was just trying to cheer you up. But I do have one question?" Katie said. Sighing I nodded and closed my eyes. "What?" I asked.

"Is he a good kisser?" She whispered quietly. I smirked and turned to look up at Lucas just knowing he was there. "Nope! He's the absolutely worst kisser ever! He's all sloppy it's totally gross! Have you seen that stupid Angus thongs movie where she goes to that dude for kissing practice? Yeah he drools more than that! Totally gross!" I shivered in fake disgust. Katie busts up laughing and rolling on the ground while Lucas looks like he's about to blow a fuse. Now I know teasing him isn't exactly the best thing to do in this situation but I just couldn't miss the chance and he couldn't say anything to prove otherwise because we'll both regret that. Him more than me. "Why are you here Lucas?" I asked calmly. He doesn't bother to answer and looks at Katie. I notice a slight red mark on the side of his face but say nothing, knowing how it got there. Katie takes the hint and quickly leaves, not even bother to check with me if its okay. Well thanks Katie!

Lucas takes her now empty spot and we sit back to back. I grunt at his weight but move slightly and soon we're both comfortable. "How did she find out?" He asked. I sighed and told him what happened with Ryder. I felt him tense at the mention of Ryder but he said nothing about it. "Maybe if you hadn't decided you wanted to bite half my lip off, we wouldn't be in this situation." I growled at the end of my story. "Shut up V, you enjoyed that just as much as I did and you know it! Just tell me how we're going to fix this please. I can't lose her too V, I just can't." Lucas said sadly and put his full weight against me. I grunted but didn't say anything, he really wasn't that heavy. "I don't know Lucas but what do you mean lose her too? Who else have you lost? You're Lucas f**kin' Knight! You could have any girl you want!" I asked surprised. He really must be an idiot. "I couldn't have you. " He said so quietly I almost missed it. Almost. My heart twisted. We both stayed quiet not knowing what to say. God how I wish we were having this conversation 6 months ago but our relationship was so different back then. Six months ago we both couldn't stand to be in the same room as each other. He teased me often and pulled pranks on me constantly. I now know however that was all just so he could get my attention. Boys! They're so stupid sometimes.

"Veronica, I know this is really bad timing but I really did love you. Hell a part of me will probably always love you but I never would have admitted that if it weren't for Ryder showing up in this town. I suppose that's one good thing about him. I would have most likely married your sister just to stay close to you and teased you for the rest of your life. Made you miserable and sad and I would have enjoyed that because at least then you wouldn't forget me. Damn doesn't that just sound crazy? But then I noticed Sophia. God she's so beautiful and kind. She's everything I'm not. She's clever, caring and takes the time to actually listen to your problems. I think I first noticed her because she was so similar to you but then I found my eyes were following her more than you. She was so quiet around people she didn't know and I wanted so badly to protect her from everyone. Myself included. I kept my distance and then that stupid bet took over our lives. I don't regret it though. It gave me my chance with you but as usual you're too quick to pick up things. You notice things that others wouldn't. You found out instantly I liked Sophia and you're suppose to be my enemy. Not even my so called best friends had figured it out. I don't get that though. How did you figure out I liked Sophia but never noticed when I looked at you the same way?" Lucas asked. "Really Lucas? You just gave me that ridiculously long speech and that's what you don't get? I did see the looks Lucas but I denied them. A part of me hoped that you felt the same way as me but it was too late by then. I had closed my heart off. I got so good at denying the looks you gave me that I just stopped seeing them until they started following someone else. It was then that I realised I had made a huge mistake. But do you have any idea how much I tortured myself because of you? God I felt so stupid whenever I thought about you! Who the hell falls in love with their bully?! That's psycho stuff right there!" I grumbled and leaned my head against his shoulder. I felt him shake from laughter. His laughter was infectious and I soon found myself laughing along with him.

"We really are a pair of idiots huh? Now how are we going to win back the actual loves of our lives?" Lucas asked.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

310K 10.6K 38
'I had guilt that ate me out from the inside and made me want to throw up. Guilt that started as a young child and continued to fester until I was do...
4.2K 147 66
Seventeen-year-old Rylee Evans just moved back to her hometown of Charlottesville, VA, with her dad and sister after being gone for three years. She'...
684K 18K 57
I was terrified of small spaces and he knew that. I could feel the sweat pooling in the crease behind my knees. My arms were hugging my knees to my...
1.7M 34K 48
Bella is a shy girl, but when you get to know her she's outgoing. When she was 5 something tragic happened to cause her to be the sheltered girl that...