From the Ashes

By WolfishTendencies

It's been three years since the Battle of Hogwarts. Hermione returned for her final year and graduated. Now... More

01 - A Spark in the Night
02 - In The Cellar
03 - At the Ministry
04 - One Step Too Far
05 - Friend or Foe
06 - The New Regime
07 -Number 12 Grimmauld Place
09 - The Meaning Of It All
10 - Dark Discussion
11 - Ron's Grave Mistake
12 - Dearly Departing
13 - Locked Away
14 - Through the Forest
15 - The Raven
16 - Following Breadcrumbs
17 - Quick Thinking
18- A Moment For Tea
19 - Another Time

08 - A Cryptic Warning

261 8 1
By WolfishTendencies

With a crack, Harry apparated outside of Malfoy Manor. In seconds Ron appeared beside him.

"What do you reckon?" Ron asked, peering suspiciously at the mansion.

Harry stepped forward and crossed into the grounds of the manor.

"Looks like they've left for the time being." Harry said, "I imagine having loads of Auror's show up put a damper on their plans."

Ron nodded, "Malfoy said that he recognized Parkinson. Do we know where her family has been in all this?"

"Her parents were on Voldemort's side in the war. According to their file, they died in the battle of Hogwarts." Harry said, "Like others, Pansy Parkinson, went underground."

"Shame she didn't go with them isn't it. Always was a cow." Ron said. Harry led the way up the drive, wand trained on the hedges and the lawn up ahead. He kept his eyes peeled for movement and any sign of Death Eaters.

"Do you think they'll have covered their tracks?" Ron asked.

"Probably. We'd best get a look at the place regardless." Harry turned the door handle, it gave way with ease, admitting them into the manors front foyer. Ron sucked in a breath.

"Forgot how stuffy and awful this place was."

"Yeah." Harry was already heading for the drawing room, "We'd best go room to room. Gawain only did a preliminary search for more Death Eaters." Harry turned to look at Ron, "By the way, who'd you leave on watch at Grimmauld Place?"

"Luna," Ron said.

"Luna, isn't she pretty busy with the Quibbler?" Harry asked, "She's not an Auror...Does she know what she's getting into?"

Ron half nodded and half shrugged.

"There wasn't any time to find someone else. I ran into her on my way out of the Ministry and she was done her printing. So I asked her if she could keep an eye out for us."

"Did you tell her what was going on?" Harry asked, he was worried about Luna's safety, but also about the confidentiality of their investigation.

"No." Ron said, "I know the rules."

"Good," Harry said.

They continued up the hall in silence with wands lit.

As they entered the next room, the light from Harry's wand ricocheted around the room, refracting off the chandelier.

"You know. She's grown up a lot. Luna." Ron said.

Harry gave Ron a searching look.

"Ron."

"What she has," Ron said, he grinned. "I mean she's weird alright but she's also delightful. She's always good company and her looks." He whistled. It was true. Luna had flourished into a gorgeous young adult, yes she had always been pretty, but now she was stunning. Even Harry, who was devoted wholeheartedly to Ginny, had noticed the change. He, however, had chosen to not let it affect their friendship. Ron had always been easily swayed by beautiful women... And he also was just as easily bored...

"You really haven't changed have you?" Harry asked, feeling slightly annoyed at his best friend.

"What? Hang on, what's that supposed to mean?" Ron asked his voice coming out as a soft growl.

Harry continued forward into the room, "You know what it means."

Ron was now glowering at Harry's back.

"This really isn't the time to discuss this," Harry said, regretting his outburst immediately. Ron's constant drama was not his issue. He had to deal with the issue at hand. He didn't have any interest in digging up old skeletons. Harry had spoken up on impulse alone and though he was annoyed with Ron he did not want to jeopardize their friendship.

"I think it is. Mate if you've got a problem speak up!" Ron said, grabbing Harry's right arm firmly.

Harry turned to appraise Ron, his green eyes unwavering, "Let go of me." Ron did so and Harry spoke again, "You heard me...You haven't changed." Harry didn't blink or look away as he said this, "You've done this before. You did it with Lavander, you did it with Hermione, and now you're going to do it to Luna."

"What?!" Ron spluttered, Harry continued, talking over Ron's tone of outrage.

"What's worse is you've dragged Hermione down with you this time and if you bring Luna into it too, I swear. Ron, do you even actually like her or just her looks?" Harry asked.

For a moment there was silence and Ron looked angry, then as he always did he deflated. This had been what Harry had dreaded. Ron always passed through his angry and into self-loathing extremely fast.

"Not at first. It was only last year..." Ron paused, "You remember the Christmas dinner Mum threw?"

"Yeah," Harry said.

"We'll Luna and I got talking and...I don't know... I felt sort of drawn to her... You know she had those big blue eyes and dreamy voice." Ron blushed slightly. "I tried not to think about it. But I couldn't help it. And we had this great discussion about Weasley's Wizard Wheezes. She reckons I should help run it." Ron was talking faster now. "I promise I never acted on it. I promise Harry. After Hermione kicked me out I waited weeks before asking her to lunch, and even then it was only on the pretense of asking her for advice about the business. I swear Luna has no idea I like her." Ron looked pleading. "I know I'm a complete git. But I can't help liking her Harry."

Harry's steely gaze faded.

"I believe you."

Ron sighed, "Oh. Good." then he said, "I don't want to hurt either of them. I honestly have no idea what to do."

"I would give it a rest. Let Luna be and if you don't it'll only hurt Hermione more. See what unfolds. That's what I did with Ginny." Harry gave Ron the hint of a smile.

"I think Hermione knew," Ron said sheepishly.

"Knew what?"

"That I liked someone," Ron said. "She's so observant. She didn't actually say it but she definitely implied that I wasn't myself and that I was distant..."

"I reckon she did," Harry said with a small nod. Hermione was brilliant, without a doubt she had spotted the change in Ron. Feeling sympathetic and a lot less annoyed Harry patted Ron on the shoulder and gestured towards the next room, "We should check upstairs."

Ron nodded. Silence fell between them as they searched each room of the house. It was only when they got upstairs that Ron spoke up.

"Do you think that the Malfoy's are in on all this?"

"No. For once I believe that they're telling us the truth, or at least most of it." Harry said. He entered the first room off the hall and paused, staring into the darkness. "Hang on..." Harry shone the light into the corners, "This has to be Malfoy's room."

On the walls hung the silver and green banner of Slytherin house and the fourposter bed, coated in a thick layer of dust, was emerald from what Harry could tell. On the wall adjacent to the door there was an array of newspaper clippings.

Lucius Malfoy's arrest, the death of Dumbledore, including the obituary by Elphias Doge, and an article about the life and lies of Albus Dumbledore. There was also an array of articles about Harry. This didn't surprise Harry in the least. Draco had always been annoyed at Harry's notoriety and fame.

"Always does his research doesn't he..." Ron said, "He gives Hermione a run for her money..." Ron was now over at the dressing table, a framed photo of Draco and his Nimbus 2001 sat there, alongside one of the whole Slytherin Quidditch team. Beside it was a small journal. Ron picked it up. Harry, deciding that the room held nothing of value, exited back into the hall and made his way into the next room. It was a parlor.

"Ron. You'd better come here."

"What is it?"

Ron entered the room. A soft light illuminated the parlor through the tall, curtained windows. At the far end of the room was a table with six chairs situated at it. Pinned to the table by a small silver dagger was a dead snake.

"Bloody hell," Ron said. Harry approached the table. On closer inspection, he noticed that under the snake, pinned by the dagger was a scrap of parchment. Harry carefully unpinned the snake and let it fall to the floor. He crouched to pick up the parchment.

Night Falls and Truth is Found.

Sun Rises and with it Lies the Truth.

Beware the one with who Strays the Path.

Beware the one who Treads the Path.

"What's it say?" Ron asked. Harry passed the note to him. Ron shone his wand light on the parchment and read. When he was done he frowned and handed the paper back to Harry.

"A prophecy?"

"It seems so."

"Why do you think they left it?" Ron asked.

"You tell me. Your guess is as good as mine."

Harry slipped the note into his robes and searched the room once more. After a thorough inspection, the two Aurors were forced to return to the grounds. It seemed that the note had been left as a message or rather a warning. To what neither could be sure.

Thank you for reading! If you enjoyed this chapter please vote, comment, and share!

All rights, references, and characters from Harry Potter belong to J.K.Rowling.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 20.8K 57
Hogwarts and the Ministry of Magic fall to the power of the Dark Lord. Harry and the Weasleys manage to escape, but Hermione finds herself stuck in t...
Chimera By Charli

Fanfiction

101K 3.3K 44
Three years after the Battle of Hogwarts, Hermione is working in the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures. She's making sig...
619K 17.3K 38
The war is over. Everyone has to retake the previous year at Hogwarts. Hermione Granger is made Head Girl and Draco Malfoy is made Head Boy. Tensions...
24.3K 740 26
UNDER EDITING AND RECONSTRUCTION. EXPECT PLOT HOLES AND INCOMPLETE PLOT LINES. Themes: Post-war, 8th year school, Werewolves The battle is won, but f...