𝐁𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐮𝐫�...

By Iyanuoluwa-Temi

A Nigerian Teen-Fiction. Zaria Coker had every reason to be called perfect; Straight As, awesome friends, and... More

Authors Note
Meeting the Characters
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35

Chapter 18

3.3K 770 268
By Iyanuoluwa-Temi

Zaria's POV

I dug my phone into my back pocket and connected my AirPods to the Bluetooth. It began to play some music. I descended the stairs and raced out of the house before anyone could wake up. I was going for a run, to clear my head.

Christmas had come and gone and we were moving closer to new year. Christmas in my house was like every other day, except for the dinner party my parents throw with their politician friends. I don't engage myself in such so, I stayed up in my room behind closed doors, watching The Originals and stuffing my face with junks.

My friends were doing different things with their families. Ada and her parents had travelled out of the country. Lyla and her parents were in Ogun state with her grandparents. Joel wasn't online only to text me that it was a family tradition to keep their phones off during Christmas.

I felt somehow. I felt empty. I just decided to stay off social media because everyone had something to post on their status. Everyone, except me. To worsen the matter,  my nightmares haven't stopped.

I raced down the tarred road of the estate, breathing heavily as perspiration ran down my forehead and my arm, music blasting in my ear. I kept running just as the voices in my head began to increase their volume, shutting down the volume of the music.

You are weak.

No! I'm strong.

You are weak. If you are not weak, you'd not be hiding behind the facade of perfection every time.

I'm perfect. I'm beautiful and perfect!

Yeah right. Tell that to your demons.

I stopped abruptly and yanked my AirPods out of my ear furiously. I was panting, trying to catch my breath and the same time, I was trying to remove the effect of those words from my head. But I couldn't.

I can't keep doing this. I can't.

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard the sound of ball hitting the floor. I looked around, realizing where I was. The Estate was created with a recreational centre and that was where I was. The sound of ball the floor called my attention again and I followed the sound all the way to the basketball court.

Who would be playing basket ball this early?

I got close and I saw a figure bouncing the ball repeatedly before dunking it into the net. I moved closer, trying to squint my eyes to see who it was without getting close. It was still pretty dark so it was hard to see and whoever it was, didn't put on the flood lights. Looking closely, I realized who it was.

Joel

An unconscious smile spread across my lips as I stood to watch him for a while. My eyes involuntarily went to his body. He was in an armless tank top that clung to his body because of the sweat.

I bit against my lower lip as I watched his muscles rip while bouncing the ball and running around. His muscles were well defined for an eighteen year old. Not too much, just perfect.

As if feeling that someone was watching him, he stopped playing and looked back immediately catching my eyes. He looked surprised but his lips spread in a smile. I found myself grinning.

"Zaria, wow. How long have you been standing there?" He asked me. I chuckled and moved further into the court.

"Long enough." I replied and his smile widened.

"I had no idea you come here." He said. I saw his eyes not so subtly gaze down my body. He was checking me out.

And I liked it.

"I don't. I was just taking a lap and I heard the ball bouncing so I followed the sound here. I had no idea you play basket ball." I stated and he shrugged.

"It's just an hobby. Can you play?" He asked me and it was my turn to shrug. He threw the ball at me and I caught it.

"Just a bit. Not like you any way. My uncle taught..."I started but trailed off when I realized what I was about to say. Joel was watching me.

"Your uncle? The one you don't talk to anymore?" He asked and I nodded, not saying anything more. He looked at me for a moment before he smiled. "Come on, let's see how good you are." He changed the topic immediately and I was incredibly thankful.

I began to bounce the ball, trying to dribble him to get to the net but he wasn't making it any easy. I used my hip to hit him away and laughed when he almost fell. I used that opportunity to want to score a point but I felt his hands wrap around my waist, lifting me off the ground and against his body. I laughed heartily.

"Put me down, jhoor." I demanded playfully.

"You can't cheat and go scot free." He whispered.

I felt his lips brush the skin behind my ear and his breath on my neck, causing me to shiver. Not the bad kind. The incredibly good kind. I knew it might not have been intentional but I couldn't help but feel that way. His hand on my skin wasn't helping matters. His fingers trailed my skin, leaving tingles with every dainty touch.

I wanted him to keep holding me like that.

He noticed my silence and loosened his grip on me, setting my feet back on the ground. I turned around and saw him watching me.

"When do you want to leave?" He asked me, his voice a bit husky.

"Not anytime soon." I replied my voice. His lips twitched in a small smile.

"That's good then, 'cause I'm not leaving anytime soon either." He replied and I smiled.

We almost spent the entire day together, and for once...

...Christmas slash New year's Eve wasn't bad at all.

*****

Soon it was January and we were resuming newly for second term. Everyone was excited to start the new term and so was I, but the day didn't start as expected.

I packed my hair into a tight bun and looked at my reflection in the mirror with a smiled, though it was to cover up the fear I was feeling within. I had the nightmare again. This time it was much more terrifying than before. I closed my eyes and decided to throw the thoughts into the trash can.

Nothing will spoil my day.

The driver had taken my mother and father out this morning for a program, not that I care anyways and Aisha went out for classes very early this morning which leaves me with Sam.

I called Lyla early enough when I realized this and told her to stop by so we could go to school together. I can't stand being in the same building with him, let alone in the same car.

I took my bag and descended the stair case. I got down just about the same time the door front opened to reveal a shirtless and very sweaty Sam.

The sweat that ran from his broad chest down to this abs and disappears into his sweat pants indicted that he was just coming from the gym behind the house. I had a thing for well built guys and Sam knew that. He was obviously taunting me and I refuse to let him see it was working.

"Like why you see." His deep voice broke into my thoughts and I looked at him to see his usual sly smirk, playing on his lips. I scoffed and rolled my eyes.

"In your dreams." I simply replied and made to go but typical wouldn't have it. He placed his arm around my waist and gently pushed me back.

"Sam, I am on my way to school, please let me go. I don't not have your time this morning." I told him in the calmest way possible but he was stubborn. It obviously runs in the family.

"Why are you doing this to us? To me? Why are you denying everything had? I don't like it at all!" He said calmly though I could hear the edge in his voice. I looked at him bewildered. No one was inside the house. All the maids were outside so it gave us the privacy we needed.

"What we had?! We had nothing, Sam. Nothing at all. You took everything from me. You took advantage of me, my innocence and our closeness. We had nothing. I was your freaking niece for Christ sake, Sam. I am Your niece." I told him sternly.

"Don't tell me shit, Zaria. You are acting all holier than thou right now when we both know you wanted it. You can't just lead me on and then leave me hanging. You told me you loved me, remember?" He snapped.

Is this guy daft?!

"I was a child for God's sake!! What did i know? And about me telling you I loved you, I meant that as in Niece to Uncle relationship. If I thought you would start to have carnal thoughts towards me, would I have said it?!" I exclaimed.

"In fact, this is all on you, because you were really stupid to think that your twelve years old niece would love you more than an uncle." I snapped, dropping my bag on the floor and throwing my hands up in frustration.

"I am not giving up now and I will never give up Zaria. I love you and I am going to have you, whether you like it or not. You are Mine." He growled. I have heard those last three words before but I couldn't start placing where.

"That's where you are wrong, Sam. Get this into your head. I am not yours. I am not a property that you can own. I was never yours and I will never be yours. The sooner you get that, the better for you."

I picked up my bag from the floor and made to go but it seemed like I pushed a wrong button because Sam held my hand and roughly pushed me back. I looked into his eyes and saw both anger and lust and my confidence shook.

"You are pushing me, Zaria. You should know me my now, my delicious pumpkin, I don't give up easily and I will get you no matter what it will cost me." He said in a deadly tone, glaring daggers at me. I was scared to say the least and I just glared back at him. We continued to stare daggers at each other.

Lyla came in and met us like that. I dragged her out and into the car. Immediately we moved out of the estate she started asking questions.

"What was that about?" She asked.

"What was what about?" I asked back.

"Why were you giving Sam attitude? If I can remember correctly, you guys used to be close." She started.

"Thank God you made reference to the words used to which means we are not close anymore." I simply replied. I leaned against the door as a pang of pain hit my head and wave of nausea washed over me. I started to feel sick.

"Seriously Zaria. I can't understand this attitude of yours! You just decided to shut everyone out. First, it was your parents and now Sam? Soon it would be Aisha, then it would be me and after you would move to every other...." She rambled. I groaned as I suddenly became really annoyed at her nosiness.

"Lyla, please just stop! I am having a severe headache right now and I'm feeling sick. I don't want to discuss this with you and that's final. I already have a bad day as it is right now so please do not make it any worse. If you can't handle my behavior, drop me off and I will get to school on my own!" I snapped.

She opened her mouth to talk but decided against it and closed her mouth.

"Thank you." I simply said and looked outside the window, suddenly interested in the trees. The driver sensed the tension and decided to play some music to reduce it.

And to think today will go great! I snapped within myself.

When we got to school, I wasn't feeling any better. The guys were waiting for us. Joel was part of them and though I wanted to spend time with him, I was just too weak so I decided to stay on my own.

I saw the look of hurt in his eyes when I told them I would see them later. I made my way to the class, went to my seat, placed my head on my desk and soon fell into a deep sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

178K 34.5K 50
****A Wattpad Featured Novel**** • • • (Book one) Many of us, have read lots of books and watched lots of movies, abo...
3.8K 93 29
COMPLETED✅ Two high school teenagers finding themselves, analyzing this ever changing world, and building love. This is the type of love you wish you...
34 28 10
Hazel Coker. Meet your typical wallflower, Nene had dedicatedKainene her entire life being a backdrop, not too 'basic' but not too 'outstanding' eith...
1.3K 257 22
Book 1 Of The Keisha Series Tagged No Companion. I had gotten close to the guys in the class, Nick, Beatrice and Lara were my constant companions too...