Glee: To the Next Level (the...

By arias3

With all of its original members gone, the glee club must struggle to survive at McKinley High School. Having... More

To The Next Level [Glee FanFic #2]
Chapter 1: Excited
Chapter 2: Trio
Chapter 3: Britney x3
Chapter 4: Rite of Passage
Chapter 5: Payback's a Bree
Chapter 6: Hot N' Cold
Chapter 7: Awkward
Chapter 8: Complicated
Chapter 9: Over
Not a Chapter-- QUESTION TIME ^_^
Chapter 10: Legacy
Chapter 11: Adams-Wilde vs Hart-Brown
Chapter 12: Misunderstandings
Chapter 13: The End of the Beginning
Chapter 14: The Fall Musical
Chapter 15: War for a Role
Chapter 16: Resurface
Chapter 17: Never Set Me Free
Chapter 18: Halloween Bash
Chapter 19: Burning Up
Chapter 20: Hairspray
Chapter 21: Friend or Foe
Chapter 22: Revelations
Chapter 23: Duets and Vulnerabilities
Chapter 24: Birthday
Chapter 25: Replacement
Chapter 26: Competition
Chapter 28: Feliz Navidad and a Happy New Year
Chapter 29: Eye of the Tiger
Chapter 30: The Creative Process
Chapter 31: Film Do-It's
Chapter 32: Guilty Pleasures
Chapter 33: New Information
Chapter 34: Right Where You Want Me
Chapter 35: Before You Go
Chapter 36: King of Laziness
Chapter 37: That 70s Show
Chapter 38: Decades Dance
Chapter 39: The Next Forty Minutes
Chapter 40: Valentine Grams
Chapter 41: A Time for Love
Chapter 42: Addicted to Love
Chapter 43: Project Popularity
Chapter 44: The Girls' Demands
Chapter 45: One End and Two Beginnings
Chapter 46: Sorting Hat
Chapter 47: One Week
Chapter 48: The Girlfriend
Chapter 49: The Show
Chapter 50: Finale
Chapter 51: New Girl
Chapter 52: Cheerleaders and Angels
Chapter 53: Regionals
Chapter 54: Denial
Chapter 55: Anger
Chapter 56: Fed Up
Chapter 57: Bargaining
Chapter 58: Back to the Beginning
Chapter 59: Poor Unfortunate Souls
Chapter 60: Boys Will Be Boys
Chapter 61: The Full Killing Machine
Chapter 62: Picnic
Chapter 63: Looking For Salvation
Chapter 64: Wonderland
Chapter 65: Downward
Chapter 66: Getting Involved
Chapter 67: Depression
Chapter 68: Change
Chapter 69: Before Prom
Chapter 70: Prom
Chapter 71: After Prom
Chapter 72: The Drinking Game
Chapter 73: No Habla Español
Not a Chapter-- READERS' CHOICE ^_^
Chapter 74: The Super Secret of the Super Devious Super Girl
Chapter 75: Know Your Enemy
Chapter 76: Whatever Comes Next
Chapter 77: The Only Way is Up
Chapter 78: Crazy
Chapter 79: Harlie
Chapter 80: Late Night Bonding
Chapter 81: Athens of the South
Chapter 82: Fly Away
Chapter 83: Superlatives
Chapter 84: One, Two, Three
Chapter 85: Graduation
Character Contest

Chapter 27: Generosity

3.3K 75 9
By arias3

Christmas lights glistened all over the Lima neighborhoods—with the exception of a few not-so-nice places, such as Lima Heights Adjacent. At McKinley, on the last week before winter break, the school was already flooded with decorations.

"What's all this?" asked Will as he skated through the hallway. He was tired from having to get up countless times to comfort a crying baby Daniel, so he hadn't noticed the decorations until he entered his classroom.

"Principal Sylvester said something about making changes as the semester nears to a close," said Dan, shrugging as he and Amity took their seats for first period History. "Apparently one of them is making the school more festive."

Mr. Schue began his lesson with confusion. That made absolutely no sense. Sue was the exact person who had been a Grinch to every Christmas he'd spent since being at McKinley.

"Well, William, that was when I was cheerleading coach," she said later that day when he questioned her in the teacher's lounge. "Now I'm Principal and I have to do things that are in the school's best interest, not mine."

Mr. Schue took these words and suddenly came up with an idea for glee club. He had been back for less than two weeks, since going to New York for Rachel's opening night weekend, and now he was back home, awaiting the return of his old students for the holidays and trying to find a way to send off his current students into theirs.

"Generosity," he said as he wrote the word on the board. Bree immediately rolled her eyes and Kitty pursed her lips.

"That's the assignment," asked Rachel from the doorway. "That's the best you could do, Schuester?" Will turned to the door at the sound of her voice and rushed over to hug her.

"Rachel!" he exclaimed. "So lovely to have you back in this room again." He turned to everyone else and said, "Miss Rachel Berry, everybody, star of Broadway's Funny Girl."

The room filled with applause. Julie, who was the most enthusiastic Broadway fan in the room—everyone else was much more into the Hollywood and radio music of the west coast than New York's charming musical theatre—clapped the loudest as her mentor blushed at the positive feedback she was getting from the glee club.

"I'm just going to go sit down and pretend I'm still a member of the club," she said as she went over to sit down. She got to the Rachel chair, which was currently occupied by Shana, and was thrilled when, without needing to be told, Shana stood and gave up the chair. Julie, who was sitting next to Rachel now, beamed with excitement and the latter gave her a quick side hug. While in reality Julie was not very similar to Rachel, her mentor liked to think that she was breeding a mini-me in her, and was thankful for any opportunity to continue to coach her.

"Okay, so generosity," Mr. Schue went on. "It's Christmas in about a week. And what's Christmas about, from a non-religious view?"

"Gifts!" Sugar exclaimed. 

"I was actually thinking about giving," Mr. Schue said as he looked at her. To everyone else he said, "So what are you guys willing to give this week? What cause will you fight for during this holiday break? We're used to Christmas cheeriness and singing songs to each other and calling it a day, but if there was something the alumni taught me is that the holidays are best spent giving back. In fact, it was Rory and Sam who made that lesson clear two years ago, when they insisted on appreciating the sadness in Christmas as well as the merriness... And along with Quinn and a few others convinced the club to help out around the community."

"So what?" asked Kitty, confused. "You want us to go volunteer at a homeless shelter or something?"

"Sure," said Mr. Schue. "Or maybe at a soup kitchen. Or with a neighbor. Or someone in this room in need of help. It doesn't matter how big you go. It's the effort you put into making someone else's Christmas, with no selfish motive whatsoever, a great Christmas that will in turn make Christmas worthwhile. That is the assignment."

"Do we have to sing?" asked Marley.

"Out there, not necessarily," Will said. "But music is a powerful tool. Rachel. Since you know that better than anyone in here, including myself, why not lead us into our first official, glee club Christmas song?"

"Oh," said Rachel, smiling. "Sure. What song?"

"Your choice," he told her. "It can be about Christmas or about giving." She stood from her chair, walked over to the band, and whispered something to them, unintelligible to the rest of the glee club. The music started and Rachel took a deep breath.

["Mistletoe" by Justin Bieber.]

Rachel: It's the most beautiful time of the year. Lights fill the streets spreading so much cheer. I should be playing in the winter snow. But I'mma be under the mistletoe...

To everyone's surprise, Jesse St. James walked through the door and joined her.

Jesse: I don't wanna miss out on the holiday. But I can't stop staring at your face. I should be playing in the winter snow. But I'mma be under the mistletoe...
Rachel: With you...
Jesse: Shawty with you
Rachel: With you...
Jesse: Shawty with you
Rachel: With you...
Jesse: Shawty with you
Rachel and Jesse: With you under the mistletoe...

Julie turned to Bree, who gave her a look. Rachel and Jesse seemed closer. The performance got even better when Blaine and Kurt walked through the door as well, their bright faces smiling at everyone.

Blaine: Everyone's gathering around the fire. Chestnuts roasting like a hot July.
Kurt: I should be chilling with my folks, I know. But I'mma be under the mistletoe.

And after them, Puck and Quinn also entered.

Puck: Word on the street Santa's coming tonight. Reindeer's flying through the sky so high.
Quinn: I should be making a list, I know. But I'mma be under the mistletoe.
Blaine: With you...
Kurt: Shawty with you...
Blaine: With you... 
Kurt: Shawty with you...
Blaine: With you...
Blaine and Kurt: Under the mistletoe...
Quinn: With you...
Puck: Shawty with you...
Quinn: With you... 
Puck: Shawty with you...
Quinn: With you...
Quinn and Puck: Under the mistletoe...

The three pairs walked over to us and pulled a few of them up with them. Quinn grabbed Kitty, Puck reached for Jake, Rachel grabbed Julie, Jesse pulled up John, Blaine grabbed Dan and Kurt pointed at Amity. So the six got up and sang. First, Rachel and Jesse put their arms around Julie and John.

John and Jesse: Aye, love,
John: The wise men followed the star. The way I followed my heart and it led me to a miracle.
Julie and Rachel: Aye, love,
Julie: Don't you buy me nothing. 'Cause I am feeling one thing, your lips on my lips. That's a merry, merry Christmas

Then Kurt and Blaine pushed Dan and Amity forward and Alex felt a tinge of jealousy as blush spread across Amity's face.

Amity: It's the most beautiful time of the year. Lights fill the streets spreading so much cheer.
Dan: I should be playing in the winter snow. But I'mma be under the mistletoe.

Quinn and Puck were hugging and had Kitty and Jake on their other arms, respectively, as they indicated for them to sing, too.

Kitty: I don't wanna miss out on the holiday. But I can't stop staring at your face.
Jake: I should be playing in the winter snow. But I'mma be under the mistletoe.
Rachel and Julie: With you...
John and Jesse: Shawty with you.
Blaine and Amity: With you...
Dan and Kurt: Shawty with you.
Rachel and Jesse: With you under the mistletoe
Quinn and Kitty: With you...
Puck and Jake: Shawty with you.
Blaine and Amity: With you...
Jesse and John: Shawty with you.
Qunn and Puck: With you under the mistletoe
Blaine and Kurt: Under the mistletoe

The six glee kids skitted back to their seats as the six alumni gathered into one line for the last part of the song.

Jesse: Kiss me underneath the mistletoe
Blaine: Show me baby that you love me so-oh-oh
Puck: Oh, oh, ohhh
Rachel: Kiss me underneath the mistletoe
Kurt: Show me baby that you love me so-oh-oh
Quinn: Oh, oh, ohhh...

The glee club erupted with so much cheer that they didn't even realize Mercedes, Finn and Artie entering the room. "Oh I know, y'all didn't just sing without us!" Mercedes exclaimed with a smile as Finn looked at Rachel and Jesse, still hugging, and prompted them to put distance between each other. 

"Welcome back, guys!" Mr. Schue exclaimed as he greeted them all more properly.

***

When Julie walked into choir room the next day after school, she was immediately greeted with the start of music and clapping. She watched as Jake, Dan, John and Alex began a performance of Big Time Rush's "Beautiful Christmas." They handed out candy canes and other small little gifts and cards during the first half and joined together for a choreographed second half performance.

"Our gift to the glee club," said Jake when the song was over, "is that we are going to try to get along." He and Dan stood on one side, looking at John and Alex. They didn't seem too thrilled about the idea of playing nice but the others loved it.

"Hey, where's Joe?" asked Sugar. 

"Yeah, Kitty and Amity aren't in here either," Rory noted.

"Amity said there was an emergency Christian Club meeting," Dan explained. He really wanted to join.

"I heard Principal Sylvester was involved," Alex added, giving Dan a look that said he wasn't actually planning on getting along with him.

"I hope it's nothing serious," said Bree, and she really did mean this. In fact, everyone hoped for the best, for they cared deeply about at least one of the three. For Julie, who held all three in a really good light, there were other things clouding her mind.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54.7K 696 38
Arica Dayton was the new girl at McKinley High, a mute. She had a rough past and wanted to make her future better. She had lost all hope, until she j...
55.7K 931 52
Sebastian Smythe was now apart of the New Directions along with Hunter, Nick, Jeff, and Thad. He apologized and did an embarrassing thing to get the...
25.9K 734 58
Quinn Fabray is a new in the city of Lima, Ohio, she moved from New York with her mom. Unfortunately she has went through a hell of a lot but when l...
103K 1.5K 54
(In the last chapter is the account of where the continuous of the book is at!) Peyton Darts. Is a angry fighter girl but her best is taking photos...