Eden's Gate

By Fantasy-Writer1

Soulmates: A person ideally suited to another as a romantic partner or a close friend. A single mark on your... More

Chapter 1 - Sometimes the best thing to do is to walk away.
Chapter 2 - God will not let you take me
Chapter 3 - Watch out Eden's Gate. I'm coming for you.
Chapter 4 - I'm Coming Fall's End
Chapter 5 - Time to Get Started.
Chapter 6 - Ready for a Fight
Chapter 7 - Never Trust Faith Seed
Chapter 8 - What Would I Do?
Chapter 9 - Boomer's Jealous
Chapter 10 - He Knows
Chapter 11 - I'm Done Running
Chapter 12 - I Will Never Have What They Have.
Chapter 13 - Back to John
Chapter 14 - I Will Save You, Hudson, I Promise
Chapter 15 - Worth It
Chapter 16 - MagnoPulser 2.0
Chapter 18 - Thank You Dutch
Chapter 19 - Just One Word
Chapter 20 - One Down, Three More To Go
Chapter 21 - Good Luck Nick and Kim
Chapter 22 - Back into The Bliss
Chapter 23 - Why is that familiar?
Chapter 24 - My Warrior
Chapter 25 - To The Visitor Centre
Chapter 26 - Welcome To The Family, Cheeseburger
Chapter 27 - Let's get creative, then
Chapter 28 - A ten-gallon hat of spurs, huh?
A/N What do you guys want?
Chapter 29 - We will bring you home, my Angel (Joseph's POV)

Chapter 17 - Where to Next

1.2K 25 0
By Fantasy-Writer1

I started the engine before driving to the Woodson Pig Farm.

"Deputy, it's Pastor Jerome. If you're getting close to Woodson's pig farm, be careful. Cultists will kill the hostages if they lay eyes on you. You gotta attack quietly – It's their best chance at survival." Jerome told me over the radio. I snuck closer, using the tall grass to cover myself. Using the scope on my sniper rifle, I spotted two Peggies guarding the front of the house. Boomer and Peaches split off, disappearing in the tall grass. I waited in the grass as the two Peggies spilt up, one walking into the house and one heading towards me. I waited until he was close enough before knocking his feet out from under him, sending him crashing to the ground. I grabbed his head and put him in a chock hold until he lost consciousness. I grabbed his ammunition before taking cover behind the Peggie's truck. I spotted one of the hostages behind the house. I checked around, looking for any Peggies in sight, before running to the hostage. Cutting his bonds, I handed him one of the Peggies guns and took cover under the open window at the back of the house. I peeked inside the house, looking for any Peggies before checking around the house's exterior. A Peggie was stood in front of some crates down the side of the house. I rushed forwards, taking him out silently, before darting behind cover. I snuck into the house, checking each of the rooms for anyone, finding another hostage. As I passed a window, I spotted another Peggie by the truck I had previously hidden behind. Attaching my silencer, I shot at him through the open window, sending him crumpling onto the floor. I cut the hostage's bindings, freeing him. Handing him a gun, I walked out of the house. I spotted a ladder on the side of the house, leading up to the second floor. Climbing the ladder, I peeked my head over the window, looking for Peggies. Nothing, no Peggies or hostages. I turned around, spotting the last hostage by the garage. I jumped down, running to her. Cutting her bindings, I pulled her up from the ground, handing her a gun from one of the Peggies. Boomer and Peaches came walking over to me after taking out the last Peggie.

"You've done it again, Rook. Actions like these are sparking the Resistance. Those people are stronger today because of you. Just like the story of David and Goliath, you're inspiring real courage. Keep it up." Jerome told me over the radio. I tried to make a sound come out of my mouth, but no sound came out.

"Your soul is poisoned, diseased, riddled with cancer... and it must be cut out. You must be rid of these lies you have been told. But you refuse my help, our help. You refuse to say Yes, refuse to accept the truth. So, until you do... every pain you inflict on this Project will be visited a thousand times on your friends. And I'm not sure how much more Hudson here can endure... Choose your next actions wisely, my love." John's voice echoed through my radio, chilling me to the bone. My anger grew ten times stronger at his threat.

I will never lay down and let him hurt my friends! And I will never join Eden's Gate! I picked up my gun, running back to the Death Wish, Boomer and Peaches right behind me.

"You've shielded the flock from the wicked, and now, we fight back with the strength of God's almighty fist. People from all walks of life have joined the Resistance, eager to conquer injustice. As to who they'll follow, they needn't look further than you, Rook." Jerome's words filled me with pride and happiness that so many people believed I could free them, that I can help them.

"Jerome, I'm not the leader these people need. You've seen my soulmate marks, it doesn't take a genius to figure out who my soulmates are. I don't know if I can do what needs to be done." I told Jerome, tears threatening to spill from my eyes as I drove back to Fall's End. I know what will happen if I killed them, but I didn't know if I could handle doing it.

"Atonement is the final step before fully accepting The Word of the Father into your heart. Our sins – having been finally exposed – can now be removed... freeing our souls and opening our hearts. Now, the pain of Atonement is measured by the severity of the sin... and thanks to you all filling my love, the Deputy's head with lies and taking her away from her destiny, the sins of this Resistance are indeed... sever. You will all Atone for what you have done to my love. You will all welcome The Word of The Father into your hearts. You will all say Yes... and you will beg God for forgiveness." John's voice called from the Death Wish's radio. He blamed the Resistance for me not wanting to join Eden's gate, for not accepting my soulmates. And now he was going to punish them.

Not if I have anything to say about it! I called out to Grace and Nick to watch over Fall's End. I didn't know what John would have up his sleeve when I was away from Fall's End, so I had to be prepared. With Nick as air support and Grace on the ground, we would be prepared for whatever John threw at us.

I drove into Fall's End, the streets where quiet, no one in sight. I got out of the car slowly, Boomer and Peaches following as I walked up to the Church. I walked up to Jerome.

"I need your help again., Rook. The folks you saved at Woodson's farm told me that the cult has a defector. He's sought refuge with the Resistance at the Silver Lake Trailer Park, but I've been in the dark ever since. There's no telling when the Lord will lift the burden of the wounded off my shoulders. Go to the Silver Lake Trailer Park and make sure that the young man is safe and sound. We need to be open to forgiveness. If not, we're no better than the cult." Jerome asked me. I nodded, walking back to the Death Wish. I couldn't help but feel suspicious over this.

A man who supposedly walked away from Eden's Gate went and joined the Resistance. And now Jerome had lost contact with the section of Resistance members where this man went to. I started the truck, heading for Silver Lake Trailer Park, whilst I thought about this. I don't like this, it feels wrong. Eden's Gate is a very difficult cult to leave, once you're in, you trust them forever. You're willing to lay down your life for them. There is no way someone just leaves the cult and happens to join the resistance at the exact same moment Jerome loses contact with them. The drive took me longer than I expected, all because I was trying to avoid Peggie's eyes. Ever since John sent the planes out to look for me, they've caused me nothing but trouble. I have to try and avoid them at every turn, and if I can't, they call others to my location, delaying me even longer.

I pulled up outside of the trailer park, weapons loaded, silencers attached and ready to fire. I hopped out of the car, Boomer and Peaches behind me as we approached.

"Look out, Rook. I just got word that the trailer park has been surrounded by cultists. They think we've kidnapped the defector and they're gonna do everything in their power to save him. Our people are cornered. You gotta act fast!" Jerome told me over the radio. I gave a sharp whistle, Boomer and Peaches heading off into the trailer park.

I knew this wasn't gonna be easy. I aimed my assault rifle as I walked into the trailer park, looking for any Peggies. I charged forwards, knocking out one Peggie, before aiming and firing at another Peggie stood on a trailer porch. As the Peggie fell, another ran forwards, running into my line of sight. Not wasting a second, I fired two more bullets into his head, sending him crashing down. I turned on the balls of my feet, checking for any Peggies behind me, before charging deeper into the trailer park. A Peggie came charging around the corner, I raised my gun, only for Peaches to pounce on him for me. I turned, hearing footsteps to the right of me. I ducked behind the corner of the trailer, peaking my head out. Another two Peggies were walking away from me. I aimed and fired two bullets at each of the Peggies, taking them both down before they could react. I ran around the corner, taking out a Peggie stood by the gate as I went. Boomer and Peaches were taking out Peggies left and right as we went. I grabbed the ammunition from the bodies before climbing up onto the roof of one of the trailers, scanning the grounds for any more Peggies. Spotting two more Peggies across the park, I raised my sniper rifle and fired at them, causing them both to crumble to the floor. Once the last Peggie dropped, people started emerging from the trailers, resistance members. I jumped down, being joined by Peaches and Boomer as I walked up to the resistance leader.

"Hey, you must be the Resistance leader. Jerome sent me to check on you guy." I explained to the man.

"Jerome sent you? Thank god. We could use all the help we can get. Jerome must have filled you in then, right?" the man asked me. I nodded in response. "Good. I want you to protect him then. If he wants help escaping from the cult, we'll help him do that."

"Got it." I walked into the trailer he emerged from. A man was tied up on the floor, long shaggy hair and matching beard. His body littered with tattoos and a jagged scar spelling "GREED" was on his arm.

Must be the Defector. I sat him up against the cabinets. He looked at my face, eyes widening.

"Mother..." He whispered. My eyes widened in response.

Definitely from Eden's Gate if he calls me Mother. I heard engines roaring from outside.

"Stay here. I'm gonna lock the doors. If any Peggies get to the doors, I want you to call me. Ok?" I told him. He nodded before I locked one of the doors, leaving through the other. Peggie trucks began to pull up in front of the house. I gave a sharp whistle, sending Boomer and Peaches into the oncoming Peggies. I grabbed a grenade, pulling the pin out before throwing it at the trucks. A fireball erupted from the trucks, destroying both the trucks and the fences in front of them.

Oops. I raise my gun as more Peggie charged the house, firing at them as they approached. I could hear the Peggies yelling commands out, to retrieve their brother. Boomer pounced on one of the oncoming Peggies, taking him out. Gunfire and battle cries echoed around the trailer park as the Resistance members fought tooth and nail to protect the defector, whilst the Peggies fought aggressively to get to their kidnapped brother.

As we fought, my reflexes began to slow down significantly. Fatigue began to affect me. Constant fighting, little food and rest were starting to catch up with me. I shook my head, waking myself up and focusing myself. I shot the final few Peggies, before walking back into the trailer. I check the defector over for any injuries, satisfied when I couldn't find any. Jerome's voice called me from the radio.

"Rook! I dug up as many Resistance members as I could find! They're gonna meet you at the nearby docks!" Jerome told me. I looked the Defector in the eyes.

"Don't... let... them... take... me... Mother..." He struggled to say as I picked him up, throwing him over my shoulder.

"Don't worry, we're just moving you further away from them," I told him, carrying him out of the trailer and away from the trailer. We kept to the trees as we made our way past the Peggies. The defector muttering for forgiveness as we walked. I walked up to the docks, Resistance members were waiting for us. I walked up to the boat, placing the Defector down.

"They're gonna take you somewhere where the Peggies can't find you," I told him, standing up as I said so.

"Thank you, Mother." The man thanked me. I walked away, ignoring the stares from the resistance members about being called Mother. Peggie trucks began to drive towards the docks I pulled out a stick of dynamite and throw it at the oncoming trucks, exploding them. Once the Peggies were dealt with, I walked away, turning my head to see the boat leaving the docks before zooming off into the distance.

"Turning the other cheek -- that... is the righteous path. Great job, Rook. We've shown that we can open our arms and embrace those who have been led astray – and there WILL be others. You've solved every problem I've put before you, despite who your soulmates are. The Lord will guide you now. Next time you're in Fall's End, come by the Church. There's always time for a prayer." Jerome congratulated me. I walked back to the Death Wish, Peaches and Boomer jumping in the back before I drove off.

 Where to next?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.7K 1.1K 22
Completed Story! Ah, that feels so nice to finally say! "Though I cry, I get no response; though I call for help, there is no justice. He has blocked...
71.6K 819 22
When you turn eighteen you get your mark. You get the first thing your meant-to-be is supposed to say to you. Sophie Foster isn't one of those people...
567 31 4
𝗖𝗛𝗘𝗢𝗡𝗢𝗛 ━ 𝗬/𝗡 × 𝗦𝗨𝗥𝗬𝗘𝗢𝗡 𝗗𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗶𝗻𝘆 , a word that will describe how two of people will fall in love after such a tragic past. It i...
UNGIFTED By Naara

Science Fiction

450 33 32
Gifts and soulmates were common currency in Donumdell. From a very young age, that was all its citizens were instilled with. And each and every one o...