Chapter 17 - Where to Next

I started the engine before driving to the Woodson Pig Farm.

"Deputy, it's Pastor Jerome. If you're getting close to Woodson's pig farm, be careful. Cultists will kill the hostages if they lay eyes on you. You gotta attack quietly – It's their best chance at survival." Jerome told me over the radio. I snuck closer, using the tall grass to cover myself. Using the scope on my sniper rifle, I spotted two Peggies guarding the front of the house. Boomer and Peaches split off, disappearing in the tall grass. I waited in the grass as the two Peggies spilt up, one walking into the house and one heading towards me. I waited until he was close enough before knocking his feet out from under him, sending him crashing to the ground. I grabbed his head and put him in a chock hold until he lost consciousness. I grabbed his ammunition before taking cover behind the Peggie's truck. I spotted one of the hostages behind the house. I checked around, looking for any Peggies in sight, before running to the hostage. Cutting his bonds, I handed him one of the Peggies guns and took cover under the open window at the back of the house. I peeked inside the house, looking for any Peggies before checking around the house's exterior. A Peggie was stood in front of some crates down the side of the house. I rushed forwards, taking him out silently, before darting behind cover. I snuck into the house, checking each of the rooms for anyone, finding another hostage. As I passed a window, I spotted another Peggie by the truck I had previously hidden behind. Attaching my silencer, I shot at him through the open window, sending him crumpling onto the floor. I cut the hostage's bindings, freeing him. Handing him a gun, I walked out of the house. I spotted a ladder on the side of the house, leading up to the second floor. Climbing the ladder, I peeked my head over the window, looking for Peggies. Nothing, no Peggies or hostages. I turned around, spotting the last hostage by the garage. I jumped down, running to her. Cutting her bindings, I pulled her up from the ground, handing her a gun from one of the Peggies. Boomer and Peaches came walking over to me after taking out the last Peggie.

"You've done it again, Rook. Actions like these are sparking the Resistance. Those people are stronger today because of you. Just like the story of David and Goliath, you're inspiring real courage. Keep it up." Jerome told me over the radio. I tried to make a sound come out of my mouth, but no sound came out.

"Your soul is poisoned, diseased, riddled with cancer... and it must be cut out. You must be rid of these lies you have been told. But you refuse my help, our help. You refuse to say Yes, refuse to accept the truth. So, until you do... every pain you inflict on this Project will be visited a thousand times on your friends. And I'm not sure how much more Hudson here can endure... Choose your next actions wisely, my love." John's voice echoed through my radio, chilling me to the bone. My anger grew ten times stronger at his threat.

I will never lay down and let him hurt my friends! And I will never join Eden's Gate! I picked up my gun, running back to the Death Wish, Boomer and Peaches right behind me.

"You've shielded the flock from the wicked, and now, we fight back with the strength of God's almighty fist. People from all walks of life have joined the Resistance, eager to conquer injustice. As to who they'll follow, they needn't look further than you, Rook." Jerome's words filled me with pride and happiness that so many people believed I could free them, that I can help them.

"Jerome, I'm not the leader these people need. You've seen my soulmate marks, it doesn't take a genius to figure out who my soulmates are. I don't know if I can do what needs to be done." I told Jerome, tears threatening to spill from my eyes as I drove back to Fall's End. I know what will happen if I killed them, but I didn't know if I could handle doing it.

"Atonement is the final step before fully accepting The Word of the Father into your heart. Our sins – having been finally exposed – can now be removed... freeing our souls and opening our hearts. Now, the pain of Atonement is measured by the severity of the sin... and thanks to you all filling my love, the Deputy's head with lies and taking her away from her destiny, the sins of this Resistance are indeed... sever. You will all Atone for what you have done to my love. You will all welcome The Word of The Father into your hearts. You will all say Yes... and you will beg God for forgiveness." John's voice called from the Death Wish's radio. He blamed the Resistance for me not wanting to join Eden's gate, for not accepting my soulmates. And now he was going to punish them.