Moving Forward

By __ludwick24__

[ Third Installment of Saved by the Whistle ] After the traumatic car accident that almost cost her her life... More

one || abiding
two || supine
three || hwyl
four || beleaguer
five || harbinger
six || cimmerian
eight || moiety
nine || limerence
ten || divaricate
eleven || apotheosis
twelve || rejoinder
thirteen || rejuvenate
fourteen || ataraxia
fifteen || upheaval
sixteen || scorch
seventeen || lagniappe
epilogue || eucatastrophe

seven || challis

589 17 6
By __ludwick24__

[ Okay, you guessed it, above is the picture of Georgia's wedding dress! This is also what I have imagined Georgia Jacobson to look like, for I have had this picture in mind since the beginning of the series, so now you have a better idea! Maybe we'll see an Antonio reference soon as well... Enjoy! ]

challis : very soft, flowing, somewhat brushed fabric, usually printed in a floral design, good for making dresses, blouses, skirts, etc. 

Georgia pressed on the horn a couple times as she grew impatient waiting for Allison. She had always took her sweet time getting ready, and this time was no different. She had flown in two days ago to stay with them until the wedding in a week, and she had promised Georgia to go with her to go through her last fitting for her dress to make sure everything still fit perfectly. No one had gone with her in the past, so this was a first look for anyone and she was excited.

Eventually, Allison came barrelling out of the side door with a michevelled look, which caused Georgia to burst out laughing as she neared the passenger side door. She got in and sighed, closing the door and looking to Georgia, who had managed to stifle her laughter for the time being.

"What?" Allison asked, and she could not keep it in any longer as she pulled out of the driveway, laughing at her best friend.

"You look like a homeless person." She commented, and she knew Allison's mouth was agape.

"I do not, but I would look better if you didn't rush me." She sneered, and Georgia just chuckled.

"I told you what time we were leaving." She sighed with a roll of her eyes. Allison turned the music up and started singing along, and eventually, Georgia was singing along as well, the two of them driving to the dress shop as if they were in high school again. Fifteen minutes later they pulled into the parking lot of the mall and parked, Georgia shutting the engine off and getting out of the car.

"Ah come on, that was a good song!" Allison complained as she hopped out of the truck and joined her in the back. She shrugged and started walking towards the entrance of the mall. Allison quickly caught up and the two of them went inside and started walking towards the left wing of the mall where the wedding dress shop was located. It was a small place, but they had some of the most gorgeous wedding dresses she had ever laid eyes on. She could not wait to try on her dress on last time before the wedding.

They entered the shop and a small bell rang overhead, and they were in wedding dress heaven. A shorter older woman came to the front of the store with a bright smile on her face, recognizing Georgia from their previous interactions during her dress hunt.

"Ah, Ms. Jacobson, here to try on your dress one last time?" She asked, and Georgia nodded eagerly.

"Claire, this is my maid of honor Allison Sanchez." She said, and the two of them shook hands.

"Very nice to meet you, Ms. Sanchez." Claire greeted, and Allison chuckled.

"Allison is just fine, ma'am." She responded.

"Then Claire is fine." She fired back with a laugh of her own. "Alright, your dress is already set up in the dressing room. Would you like me to help you get into it, or will you be alright?" She asked, now directing the conversation back towards Georgia.

"I might need help zipping it up, but I think I can manage otherwise." She responded as they walked towards the back. When they got to the back, it was like a runway with mirrors at the end. There was a sitting area for friends and family, and there were three different rooms for brides to try their dresses on.

"First room, we'll be waiting." Claire said with excitement in her eyes, which made Georgia grin greatly. She entered the familiar room and saw her dress and grinned. It was a gorgeous dress, and she had found it by chance. It had a spaghetti strap sleeve with a semi-sweetheart neckline. It was not a pure white color, more of an off-ivory, but it was stunning. The top was lace and it flooded into the skirt and faded out into the empire styled flow of the skirt. She stripped of her clothes and stepped into her dress, the dress fitting as it had the first time she had tried it on. She zipped it up in the back, careful not to get the fabric caught in the zipper, and sighed at the beauty before her in the mirror. She unlocked the door and stepped out in front of the mirrors and stepped up onto the platform.

"Georgia, holy shit you're a Disney princess!" Allison exclaimed excitedly, jumping up from her seat and putting her hands in front of her mouth.

"You like it?" She asked with a chuckle, already knowing the answer. The dress was a little long, but it had been hemmed for her to be able to wear heels with the hem of the skirt just meeting the ground.

"I love it!" Allison responded, twirling her best friend around. Georgia chuckled as she faced away from the mirrors and towards Claire and Allison.

"Ms. Jacobson, you look as stunning as you did when you first tried it on a couple of months ago." She said with a joyful look in her eyes, proud of the work she had done.

"I couldn't have done it without you, Claire." She responded with a smile of her own. Before she could say anything else, her phone started ringing, and she groaned, remembering she was on call.

"It's someone named Robert?" Allison informed, looking at her phone, and Georgia groaned.

"Give it." She said, taking her phone from her and hitting the answer button. "Jacobson." She answered with a sigh.

"Hey, need you to come in, Kingston's came down with the flu in the middle of shift, but he'll be able to last until you get here. How fast can you get here?" Robert informed, and she looked at the time.

"Uh, I'm at the dress shop right now, I can be there in twenty minutes or so." She responded, putting her phone on speaker as she went back into the room to change as quickly as possible.

"Sorry to interrupt, Georgia. How is it going?" He apologized, and she could hear the guilt in his voice.

"No, it's okay, we were just finishing. Everything is perfect, I can't believe we're a week out." She responded excitedly as she put her jeans and t-shirt back on. She tied her boots back on and exited the room, taking Robert off speaker and putting the phone back to her ear.

"I'm excited for you. I'll see you in a little while, I've got to go on a run." He said quickly as the bells started going off in the background.

"Alright, I'll be there as soon as I can." She sighed, then hung up the phone. "Come on, I've got to go." She announced to Allison, and she groaned.

"Really? I thought we were going for early lunch." She pouted, and Georgia shrugged.

"I told you I was on call." She reminded, then looked to Claire. "The dress is back on the hanger. If I'm not back tonight, I will pick it up on the way back from my shift in the morning."

"Not a problem, Ms. Jacobson. Good luck out there, go save some lives." She said with a smile, and Georgia nodded a thank you, dragging Allison out the door to head out to her truck.

"I'm dropping you off at the house and then I have to go. I won't be back until the morning." She informed as she they got going on the road back towards her side of town. Fifteen minutes to her house, ten minutes to the firehouse, and she would be working a double shift that night and another shift tomorrow night. Thankfully, she had requested the entire week off next week for her wedding. She would have to be dealing with her family flying in from Brazil and her mother flying in from Portland. Antonio's family were all flying in from Portland, for that's where they were all from. There were a few aunts and uncles in Seattle, but they had all grown up in the area. It was going to be a hectic week, but it would be worth it.

Eventually she was sitting in the locker room in the firehouse and tying her work boots on, then french braided her hair as she walked out to the kitchen and meeting area. Second shift was out on call, so there was no one there as she walked around the firehouse. They were on a call that was barely in their jurisdiction off of City Creek with a boating accident. They would not be back for at least an hour. She decided to use this time to head to the bunker area to take a nap before the long night ahead of her.

She was woken up by the blaring of the alarms, and she instantly got to her feet to head out to the ambulance. It was still daylight, and when she looked at her watch, it was already two in the afternoon. Two hours she had gotten to sleep, and those two hours refueled her completely. She put on her paramedic jacket to fight against the November air, and met Robert out by the rig.

"Good afternoon, sunshine." He joked as she got in the driver's seat and started the ambulance up. She slammed the door beside her and he situated himself, buckling up. She buckled her seatbelt and turned the sirens on.

"Oh hush, I'm going to need all the sleep I can get with working two shifts back to back." She scoffed as she lead the way to the scene. They were headed back out towards City Creek for a water rescue report on the south end of the river. It was a ten minute ride, Georgia able to make it eight. When they arrived to the pinpoint location of the 9-1-1 call, up on the shore there was an overturned boat. A woman was waving them down. She parked the ambulance and got out, Cass grabbing the ambo-bag and the two of them walking over. Truck forty-three and squad fifteen arrived as they started to walk towards the boat.

"We were going down the river, and we hit something and my wife lost control of the boat. Please, you have to help her!" She insisted. Jacobson put a hand on her shoulder.

"We're going to do our best to get her out of there. My name is Georgia, what is yours?" She asked in a calm voice as Cass walked with Lieutenant Reyes to assess the situation. They could hear the muffled talking of the woman that was trapped.

"Kayla Wells, my wife is Jenna Wells." She responded, frantically looking between the boat and the paramedic in front of her.

"Hey, hey." Jacobson said, trying to get her attention to remain on her. "They're going to get her out of there. Those men are very good at their job. She's going to be okay." She assured as she watched the firefighters start to go to work to get Jenna out from under the boat. "She's talkative, she's able to communicate. That's a very good sign." She informed with a firm nod.

"We just got married a month ago. I can't lose her so soon, not when we've got so much to look forward to." Kayla rambled on as Jacobson got her to sit down on a rock so she could assess the laceration on her forehead as well as the wrist she had been holding since they arrived.

"You're not going to lose her, Kayla. Why don't you tell me about Jenna?" She suggested so she could try and guide her mind away from the situation at hand.

"She's the most beautiful woman I have ever met. We met when we were both working at Bonneville, you know, the gold course on the east side. I was a caddy and she worked in the country club itself. We had lunch together everyday since we were the only two women there working, and we just clicked. We eventually both left our jobs and we've pretty much been together ever since." Kayla explained, getting her mind off the situation at hand. Jacobson had bandaged the laceration and assessed her wrist, finding that both bones had broken in the crash. She put her wrist in a splint for now since the orthopedic surgeon would have to reset the bones anyhow. By now, Cass was working on getting Jenna out from under the boat on a backboard, but remarkibly, it appeared that she was perfectly fine, just a little shaken up.

"That sounds like a lovely way of meeting someone, Kayla, and by the looks of it, you two are going to live a long and happy life together." She said with a smile, cocking her head in their direction. The largest grin came to Kayla's face as she saw Jenna look over to her with a smile of her own.

"We're taking you both to the hospital, but by the looks of it, the boat got the worst of it." Cass informed as Jacobson helped him get Jenna into the back of the ambulance. She handed the keys to him, and he nodded, helping Kayla into the back and having Cass shut the doors behind them. She checked both of their statistics once more before determining that they did not need to be hooked up to a monitor. Jenna's pulse was strong, her breathing normal. No apparent external injuries and no symptoms of internal ones.

"Thank you for everything, Georgia. I don't know what I would do without her." Kayla said with a grin, and she nodded. Jenna perked up at the mention of her name, squinting her eyes at her with familiarity.

"No need to thank me, I'm just doing my job." She responded with a small sigh. "Plus, the real work was done by our driver and the rest of this firehouse to get Jenna out of there."

"Okay, there's not many people named Georgia, so I'm just going to take a gamble as say your last name is Jacobson?" Jenna asked, and when the paramedic before them did not answer, but rather chuckled, they had their answer. "I'm a huge soccer fan, I can't believe I didn't recognize you!" She exclaimed, and Georgia laughed.

"I look a little different out of uniform." She inquired with a laugh.

"You're a paramedic? That's insane." Jenna stated. "How come I've never heard this? Did I miss some headlines somewhere?" She questioned as Cass turned into the parking lot of the hospital.

"You didn't miss any headlines, I just would rather keep this part of my life under lock and key. Only my team knows that I am a paramedic, so I need you to not spread the word. Please." She pleaded, and both Jenna and Kayla nodded firmly as Cass opened the doors and they were greeted by the familiar emergency room doctors and nurses that met them day after day.

"Jenna Wells, twenty-seven years old. Boating accident, no apparent external injuries and symptoms of external injury. Kayla Wells, twenty-five years old. Laceration on her forehead as well as a broken wrist, no other external or internal injuries apparent at the time." Cass reported as they all walked together into the emergency room.

"Alright, let's put Kayla Wells in bay two, Jenna Wells in three. Thanks guys, we've got it from here." Dr. Turner instructed, dismissing the two of them to go fill out the proper paperwork and refill on their supplies.

"Good save today." Georgia commented as Robert handed her back the keys and they both took the supplies they needed out to the back of the ambulance. They just set it inside the door for now, planning to organize it later. She got into the driver's seat and he in the passenger seat.

"Thanks Georgia." He responded as they got a call from dispatch on their radio.

"Ambulance eighty-five, man down. 530 East 1100."

"No break today." She muttered as she threw on the lights and sirens as she pulled out of the emergency bay, headout out onto the main road. With the sirens blaring, they went through the streets with ease, going through the lights with no problem.

Until suddenly there was a problem.

The truck had hit them so quick she did not remember spinning in the intersection. She held onto the steering wheel as they spun, glass shattering and tires squealing as she tried to stop the ambulance from its spiral. When they finally stopped, her head was pounding and her vision hazy.

"Ambulance eighty-five to main... send another rig to 530 on 1100." She managed to get out as she tried to unbuckle her seatbelt. Eventually she was able to free herself and pushed open the heavy door.

"What has changed? Eighty-five, do you copy?" The dispatch center asked urgently.

"We copy. We have just been in a head on collision at the intersection at... South Temple and East 700." She informed as she made her way to the passenger side of the ambulance where they had taken the hit. She was able to heave the passenger side door open and climb up beside Robert. She felt for a pulse, and it was thready.

"We are sending a squad your way, five minutes out." Dispatch notified her as she checked to make sure her partner's pupils were still reactive, and thankfully they were.

"Robert, can you hear me?" She called out to him, and when he did not respond, she took all the strength she had and pulled him out of the ambulance and laid him flat on the concrete. She looked out of the corner of her eye and saw the man who had hit them stammering about outside the car. She put her full attention back to Robert and felt for a pulse once again.

It was faint.

"Come on Robert, I can't lose you too." She muttered as she started CPR, hearing the sirens in the distance. "Come on, come on."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.9M 90.4K 42
Riley's past isn't something most kids go through. Bad things happened, but when she got older, her dad decided it was best to move, and get away fro...
372K 11.9K 85
Keegan has been through way too much in her 30 years of life. She's been through a war, moving from a war torn country to America, playing football i...
553K 18.9K 75
**TWICE FEATURED ON THE WATTPAD EDITORS CHOICE LIST** **Romance Category WINNER-Community Hub Awards** Have you ever felt your heart beat so fast, th...
114K 3.8K 26
When an incident on the pitch can lead to an unlikely lucky charm for the lionesses. AKA When Leah gets inured on the pitch, the oppositions medic...