Hideout

By ktk446

"I keep my promises," he said intensely. "Especially promises I make to beautiful girls." I rolled my eyes... More

E X C E R P T
O N E
T W O
T H R E E
F O U R
F I V E
S I X
S E V E N
E I G H T
N I N E
T E N
E L E V E N
T W E L V E
T H I R T E E N
F O U R T E E N
F I F T E E N
New Story Alert
S E V E N T E E N
E I G H T E E N
N I N E T E E N
T W E N T Y
T W E N T Y O N E
T W E N T Y T W O
T W E N T Y T H R E E
T W E N T Y F O U R
T W E N T Y F I V E
T W E N T Y S I X
TWENTY SEVEN
T W E N T Y E I G H T
TWENTY NINE
C H A P T E R T H I R T Y

S I X T E E N

16.3K 586 128
By ktk446

*A/N: One Mike's Hard Lemonade down and one more story to update after this. Side note, I just tried to spell Lemonade "Lemondate" so this author's note will be interesting. *EDIT: I wrote this last night, it is now morning and didn't finish this before I fell asleep so don't think I'm a morning drinker.*

Before I embarrass myself, I will just move on to apologizing for the wait. 

I apologize that you guys kept asking for an update and I didn't deliver, but in all honesty, I needed the break. My brain chemistry was playing games with me and I just needed some time to sort myself out. 

I hope you understand and if you don't, that's okay. Here's your update! Love ya

CHAPTER 

SIXTEEN 

A D E L A I D E 

"Let's go for a run. In wolf form," Leo said one late afternoon.

A week and a half had passed since the incident at the beach. Leo had been very gentle and careful with me since then and surprisingly, hadn't made more of a sexual advance than just soft morning, greeting, and goodnight kisses. There were times we would wake up cuddled together, but that was it. Plus that was kind of nice to me. It felt safe and he was so warm. For as strong and muscular as he was, it felt like snuggling with a big teddy bear.

The house had started to feel like home and by the end of the week, Leo was beginning to give me much more freedom. While he was working, I was allowed to go wherever I wanted as long as I kept him updated over text or phone call, and I had to answer his calls and texts, which weren't often enough to feel like I was being stalked.

So I agreed to the run. "But not too fast," I added when he started to take off his clothes in the forest. "And can you stay on my bad side? I don't really feel like running into any trees today."

"Of course," he responded, kissing my cheek. "Do you want me to turn around?"

I nodded. As soon as his back was turned, I quickly shed my clothes and then shed my human form, grunting in effort. It had been a while since I shifted. By the time I was over the dizziness, Leo had shifted and was nuzzling me with his big head.

He was about twice my size and much more muscular too. It made me feel shy and embarrassed, finding it hard to meet his gaze. You're perfect. Beautiful, he whispered in my mind, licking my muzzle.

If I'd been human, I would have blushed furiously. Leo just chuckled, as if knowing exactly how I felt, and jerked his head in the direction for us to start running. He started, but kept at a slow enough pace that I was able to keep up with.

What we didn't know, as we ran through the trees and played, was that Leo's office phone was ringing to signal the pack boarder had been breached by several forms, and we were running straight towards them.

~ ~ ~

I thought Leo and I were playing, but I had missed the way his body had gone rigid several yards back, instead running ahead and through the trees. For a minute, I forgot about everything wrong with me and just ran. It felt incredible. So incredible that I missed the first couple times that Leo howled for me.

I turned my head when I realized he was trying to catch my attention, running straight into a large, hard form. The moment my body connected with him, I instantly knew we were in trouble. I scrambled to get up and away, gawking up at the rogue standing over me. His teeth barred angrily and I hurriedly backed up, just as Leo was barreling towards us. The rogue made a lunge towards me, but Leo snarled viciously before he could fully attack. I kept scooting backwards, until Leo was pressed against me and pushing me to get down.

Leo's wolf stood over mine protectively, growling at the rogues several feet ahead of us. I shrank beneath him shamefully, laying down flat to the forest floor. With his eyes on the enemy, he lowered his head to lick my ears soothingly before taking a step forward and snarling at the group.

An alpha wants that? We were only trying to do you a favor, sir. Survival of the fittest and all.

If wolves could blush, I would've been beet red. She is stronger than she looks, not that it is any of your business. Move on now, or you will be hunted and killed like the filthy mutts you are, Leo threatened. And if you ever come back and threaten my mate again, I'll tear you apart myself. Slowly.

That thing is your mate? Look at it - a runt and a deformed freak.

I scooted myself backwards silently, earning a bark from Leo to stay still. The rogues all laughed in amusement and began circling Leo and I, until we were surrounded. They weren't as large as Leo, but definitely were bigger than me. We were greatly outnumbered, so they could probably overpower us.

What is your business here? Leo demanded, eyes following all of their movements as best as he could.

Oh, we are just... exploring. We've heard some rumors about this alpha who wants to take Big Sur. And, you see, those are our stomping grounds. So that bothers us.

One of them made a lunge towards my tail, making me yelp and jerk away, bumping against Leo's front legs and chest. All of them guffawed, especially when Leo and I had to disentangle ourselves. I was shaking so bad that Leo told me to lay back down and breathe. Stay beneath me.

She isn't the type of girl I would expect an Alpha to say that too. What happens when your babies come out looking like... that?

Leo's hair stood on end, his body quivering with anger. I will slaughter all of you. Get out of my territory.

We'll stay out of yours if you leave ours. We don't take kindly to outsiders acting like they own the place, Alpha or not.

When I take that land from under your mutt paws, myself and my warriors are going to rip you limb from limb. And you, Leo motioned with his head towards the one that tried to bite me, I will keep on the brink of death for years for frightening my mate.

Don't say we didn't warn you, Alpha. You don't know what us mutts are capable of. It would be a shame if your deformed female would have to become a victim for you to understand that.

With that, all of them began disappearing through the brush. Leo waited, muscles tensed with his ears perked forward, listening to them until they were too far to hear. As soon as he was sure they were off of the territory, his guard was lowered. Then he nuzzled my face.

Don't listen to them. You're-

They are right.

He growled, laying beside me and bumping his nose against mine. That isn't true and you know it.

I just sighed and turned my head away, closing my eyes. Why would you run ahead by yourself? he asked me.

I thought we were still playing and-

I flinched as a deep growl rumbled from his chest. Leo nipped at my ear once, reprimanding me. We talked about this, Adelaide. You shouldn't be out on your own.

You're always reprimanding me, I grumbled.

It's only because I care. You know that. I don't want anything to happen to you. As much as we hate to admit it, you're vulnerable in this form. I just wish you would tell me before you run off. I trust you, but it's everyone else that I'm concerned about. His wolf nuzzled against my face fondly. Let's go home. There's an announcement I have to make to the pack tonight. One that I'll need a lot of prep for. And I don't want to worry about you for the rest of the day.

He climbed to his feet and I followed suit, hanging my head sadly as he took us in the direction of his home. We can take the long way home. I lifted my gaze to ask what he meant, but he was already sprinting off in another direction, laughing in my head. I smiled to myself softly and chased after him.

~ ~ ~

"Adelaide, can you come with me to my office?" Leo asked, having appeared in the doorway of the bedroom. "We need to talk in private."

I frowned, peering up from the book in my lap. "In private? Isn't this private enough?"

He shook his head. "This involves my computer."

With a shrug, I dog-eared the page I was reading and set the book aside. Leo held his hand out for me, which I took as soon as I slipped past him. His face was like stone, save for the bulging vein in his forehead. "Is everything okay?" I asked. "You're tense."

"I'll explain in a minute."

Before we got to the office, he was still silent, when I stopped us in the hallway. "I feel scared. Should I be scared about what you're going to tell me in there?"

Leo dropped my hand to rub his temples roughly. "No, you're not the one that should be scared, love."

"Okay, now you're really freaking me out."

Leo cupped my face and kissed my forehead. "Just... come on. Let's get this over with."

Inside his office, Leo shut the door behind us and locked it. There was an open letter sitting on his desk, which he handed to me shortly after.

"What is it?"

"Just read it."

"Alpha Leonardo,

This is the Alpha from your mate's original pack. This weekend, we are hosting our annual Homestead Festival, where our pack celebrates the anniversary of our creation. Since this is the first year that Adelaide isn't here to partake of the festivities, I would like to invite the two of you to come and join us for a weekend of feasts and entertainment.

This would be a great time to reunite Adelaide with her parents and we greatly hope to see you here.

Thanks in advance,

Alpha Harrison."

"So...?"

"Do you want to go?" he asked me. "We don't have to."

I sighed, throwing the paper down. "I don't know. Are you allowed to refuse an invitation like this? That seems like one of those rules."

Leo slumped onto the couch beside me, where I had sat while reading the short letter. "It is frowned upon, especially when I have no scheduling issues. But I will make an exception for you. It is your home."

I snorted. "Yeah. My home. Where no one wanted me."

He reached towards me, pulling me against his chest. "We can stay here. Go do something else that weekend. Take a ferry to an island or something. Go whale watching."

"No, it's okay. I can do it. It's just one weekend, right?"

"Right."

Swallowing thickly, I folded up the paper and tossed it onto his desk. "Do... Do you think they're going to do what they did before? When I lived there?" I asked him nervously.

Leo let out a long breath through his nose before turning to me, cupping my face softly. "If anyone upsets you, you'll tell me. Do you understand? If they even look at you wrong, I want you to come to me."

"What will you do?"

His mouth pressed a kiss to the corner of my lips, thumb massaging my cheek as he did so. "Gut them all." 

****A/N: So i started to update this chapter last night but fell asleep before I could finish it. Alcohol makes me sleepy, y'all. This author's note has been written 100% sober with coffee in my system. 

Some questions for you from this chapter: 

What do you think the important announcement that Leo has to make is? 

What do you think about Harrison inviting them to Addie's old pack? Does he have another motive or does he really want her to see her parents again and reconnect with them? 

Let me know what you think! <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.5M 229K 32
Lily Crawford was once loved and treasured by her whole pack but that stopped on her 14th birthday when she didn't shift like she was supposed to. In...
2.3M 73.1K 41
When Hannah is mated to her old bully, everyone implores her to move on and forgive him for the good of the pack. She will need to decide if the pac...
223K 7.1K 44
"You think you're so fucking tough huh? Get your ass in that room before I have to make you, Skylar," he growled, trying to fight back his wolf from...
28.5K 979 33
Warning: This book contains mature content. "Your scent is driving me crazy, mate. You're so ready for me," he said darkly, inhaling deeply, intoxica...