The Longing ⇝ BOOK 1 > LOK [A...

By xdistantwords

Lyra (LYE-RUH) is the adopted daughter of Tenzin and Pema. No one knows anything about where she came from... More

Extended Summary
Lyra
Playlist:
Prologue
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
Thank You Readers
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
!!!

39

12.5K 397 61
By xdistantwords

Lyra (1)

It was the next night, and we, Team Avatar that is, continued to watch the streets. We all stood around the parked car and waited.

Mako scooted over to me. When I turned my head to look at him, he sent me a small smile. I returned the favor.

"I want to talk to you." Mako said.

"What about?" I asked.

"Us."

I sighed, "Sure."

He lowered his head so that his mouth reached my ear. He whispered, "I miss you. I barely see you these days."

"You live on the island now. Trust me Mako, you'll get tired of me."

Mako grabbed my hand, "Let's go out. Just you and me - like old times."

"What do you want to do?"

"What we always used to do: go to our favorite hot dog stand right when it gets dark out and walk for hours just talking. The perfect night."

I smiled, remembering our famous 'perfect night.' We had one every few days. But since Korra came into the city... we stopped.

"I forgot about those. It's been awhile."

"I know. Which is why we'll do it tonight."

I raised my brows, "Tonight? Don't you think it's a little too late?"

Mako shook his head, "It's never too late for the perfect night."

I chuckled, "Alrighty then. Tonight it is."

Mako nodded with a small smile before turning and talking to Korra. I bit the inside of my cheeks while down at my feet. I wanted to hide my smile.

Seconds later, the car radio turned on. We all turned and listened.

"All available units - please respond to the 5600 block of Dragon Flats Burough.  Equalists have taken to the streets. Consider them armed and dangerous. Proceed with caution."

Asami took the wheel as always with Bolin hopping into the passenger seat. "I call front!"

Make extended his arm out, "After you."

"What a gentlemen," Korra took his hand and jumped into the car. "Thanks." After, Mako jumped in.

So, forget me right? I jumped in and eyed the two.  Korra and Mako weirdly smiled at each other - I wanted to hit them both.

I elbowed Mako once the car sped down the road. He quickly turned to me, "What was that for?"

"Stop giving Korra googly eyes," I gritted. "Your girlfriend is right there."

He scoffed, "I'm not giving her googly eyes. And I know who and where my girlfriend is, thank you."

"You're welcome." I sarcastically smiled before turning away from him.

Once we went deeper into the city, it was all dark. There wasn't a light in sight.

"Why is the power out?"

Asami stopped the car and we all jumped out. Up ahead were hundreds of people being barricaded. There were police officers surrounding them. The people yelled angrily at them.

"Wait a second, these people aren't armed or dangerous." Asami said.

"Sure doesn't look that way." Korra responded.

A police officer went on top of one their cars with a microphone in his hand. "All nonbenders - return to your homes immediately!"

"We have to do something." I said. "There's no way this is legal."

We began to walk over to the scene and once people noticed us, they ran closer to the barrier. A mother holding a baby in her arms and a child by her side called to Korra with pleading eyes. "Please help us. You're our Avatar too."

After a second or two, Korra shoved two officers out of the way before stepping in. "Everyone please stay calm! I'm gonna put a stop to this!"

As they walked over to find who's in charge, I scanned the crowd. This is so horrible. None of these people are Equalists.

"Aren't you Councilman Tenzin's daughter?" A woman asked me.

I was taken aback. Nobody really knew who I was. I guess word has gotten out. "Y-Yes. I am."

"Can't you do something about this?" She asked. "Your father, he ca-"

"We're figuring this all out, ma'am. Things will go back to normal soon. I prom-"

"Lyra!"

I snap my head toward the sound of my name. My eyes widened when I saw Shad Shin on the other side. I ran over to him. "Shin!"

He pushed me back when the barriers began to close in on them. They tightly wrapped around the citizens. Seconds later, they were being lifted in the air.

The screams coming from the people and their children triggered me. I looked behind me when I heard an infamous voice. My eyes met Tarrlok, I began to feel hot.

When the citizens were lowered, I watched Tarrlok look from Korra to Asami. He bent a water rope around Asami's wrist and yanked her toward him. "Hey, let me go!"

"You're under arrest!"

"What!? You can't do that!" Mako said. Two officers grabbed Asami and arrested her. "Actually, I can. She's a nonbender out past curfew and her father is a known Equalist conspirator."

"Let her go!" Mako demanded.

"Arrest him and his brother."

When Mako and Bolin were restrained with the cables, I completely lost it.

I ran toward Tarrlok with lightning sparks at the tips of my fingers. Barely missing him, I sent out lightning. He snarled.

"Arrest her!"

A police officer sent cables at me. When they wrapped around me, I put my finger tip on the medal and concentrated . In seconds, the police officer screamed. Once the cables were off, I looked over to Tarrlok. He was infuriated.

"I'll deal with you myself." He gritted. With a snap of his fingers, servers officers tightly wrapped their cables around my whole body.

"Tarrlok!"

We all look over. Korra lifts two thick pieces of earth from the floor and aims them at him.

"Unless you want to join your friends in prison, I suggest you put those down and go back to the air temple." Tarrlok threatened.

"Korra, listen to him. It's not worth it." Mako tells her. Once she puts them down, the officers begin to put us in the back of the police cars.

"We'll be alright!" Bolin reassures her.

"Don't worry, I'll call Tenzin! He can get you out!"

I was shoved into the car and seated next to Mako.

"What you did with the cables - was that what you wanted to show us?" He asked me. I nodded. "I'm getting the hang of it."

My eyes widened, "Dammit! My dad's going to kill me when he finds out I got arrested."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

123K 4K 44
"How are you so excited? You're insane!" "I know!" Many call her crazy and wreckless. She takes that as a compliment. Join one girl's crazy ride with...
6.1K 315 10
_____________________________ ________________ Book 2; Only a few weeks pass from the events of Amon's revelation. Y/n choose to temporarily leave te...
284K 7.6K 41
What if Aang and Katara had another child, a girl named Talia. Talia is a non bender... Or so they all thought. But when the time comes it is reveale...
477K 13.3K 117
Her name is Lyra. Twin of Katara and youngest daughter of Chief Hakoda of the Southern Water Tribe. At the age of 8 her village was attacked by fireb...