Country Girl's Dream ©

By ThatMrsStyles

“A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality.” ― John Lennon More

Country Girl's Dream (A One Direction Fanfiction)
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144
Chapter 145
Chapter 146
Chapter 147
Chapter 148
Chapter 149
Chapter 150
Chapter 151
Chapter 152
Chapter 153
Chapter 154
Chapter 155
Chapter 156
Chapter 157
Chapter 158
Chapter 159
Chapter 160
Chapter 161
Chapter 162
Chapter 163
Chapter 164
Chapter 165
Chapter 166
Chapter 167
Chapter 168
Chapter 169
Chapter 170
Chapter 171
Chapter 172
Chapter 173
Chapter 174
Chapter 175
Chapter 176
Chapter 177
Chapter 178
Chapter 179
Chapter 180
Chapter 181
Chapter 182
Chapter 183
Chapter 184
Chapter 185
Chapter 186
Epilogue

Chapter 187

1.2K 33 5
By ThatMrsStyles

Little Do You Know- Alex & Sierra

All of the Stars- Ed Sheeran

Amnesia- 5SOS

Back To December- T-Swizzle

Boom Clap- Charli XCX

Till Death Do Us Part- Kait Weston

Nobody Compares- One Direction

Scarecrow- A&S

Sparks Fly- T-Swizzle

Towers- One Direction

You & I- One Direction

You’re Mine- Lea Michele

Lauren's POV

Three agonizingly long weeks in that hospital room went by as slow as Christmas Eve. The original time limit was supposed to be only a few days- at max- but an infection had settled in on one of the deep surgical gashes on Harry's right shoulder. The diagnosis was revealed by the hourly-rising fever that broke through his body in the form of chills on the second day of admittance. This required him to be admitted back into surgery almost immediately. Luckily, the issue was resolved almost as quickly as it was discovered, but the recovery process was longer than any of us anticipated.

His family arrived the following day after his surgery, allowing- forcing- me to go home even if I did not want to. Over the expanse of two weeks, we created a schedule. I generously offered to stay with him during the night, allowing his family to sleep a hotel about five minutes away. Occasionally, Gemma would stay with me during the night as well, considering she did not get to see her brother often and she was willing to take what she could get. Even though my "shift" was only at night, I found myself staying long past sunrise. Normally, I would stay until Harry or Anne convinced me that I actually needed the rest which usually occurred at about lunch. However, without their knowing, even that rest was spent sleeping in the backseat of my car until it was time to go back inside. I could not bring myself to leave. In my mind, I knew that it did not matter if I went home or not- I was not going to get much rest until Harry was home.

Meri willingly stayed in my apartment, taking care of Belle during the expanse of time I was not able to be there for her. Guilt ate me alive at the thought that she had been spending more time with her lately then I had been given time to. She and Niall never failed to bring meals for the six of us- excluding Harry- to share every day at Harry's scheduled "lunchtime". No matter how much he pleaded and bargained with his routine nurses, they were not permitted to allow him to intake any meals that were not "hospital-ordained". He eventually gave up, and began to torment me, knowing that I would eventually give in and sneak him a small bite of whatever the meal was that day. It slowly became like teaching a dog to beg for food. Giving in only made the begging worse.

Even though his normally hectic work schedule has been paused, his hospital day was full of patterns and schedules as well. His medicine schedule stayed with a steady pattern of pain medication and antibiotics for the infection. Breakfast arrived at about eight each morning, followed by his first round of antibiotics. Lunch came at noon, followed by a high pain reliever.  I would leave normally right after I ate. Supper arrived at six, and normally I tried to be back from my "rest" by then.

However, both of our favorite parts of the day were at eight each night. The nurses would allow us to walk up and down the hallway so Harry wouldn't get 'hospital fever', a condition in which the patient became discombobulated after being cooped up for so long. After his first attempt to actually walk up and down the hallway in only the caste for his tibia, it caused his severely sprained ankle to become inflamed and unbearably painful so the doctor advised that if we were to continue this pattern then we would have to use a wheelchair to prevent further damage. He explained that a serious sprain could eventually lead to a stress fracture which could eventually break, causing extreme pain.

Surprisingly, Harry gave in, knowing that this was his only way of getting to escape his hospital bed every now and again. Every day we would make our way down the long hallway, and into a large, rotund hospitality room. In other words, it was a waiting room for the families and friends of the hopeless patients. Couches, televisions, tables, and kitchen facilities made up half of the circular room, but none of these offers interested us. Instead, we would make our way past the dividing walls that separated the two halves and enter the portion of the room which doubled as an overview of Los Angeles.

Just at eight o'clock was the perfect time to arrive, because the sun had been set long enough for the lights of the city to illuminate the sky in bright, beaming colors of crystal blues and autumn oranges. The elevation we were given created a hazy horizon along the skyline. The colors were endless and truly beautiful. They managed to leave me speechless each night. Long rays of spotlights would radiate through the sky and into the clouds, creating hazy halos that resembled UFOs. Cars would roar past beneath us, sirens and horns blaring. The roaring city was alive beneath us while we watched from a safe distance. However, the reason we enjoyed this time of day so much was not due to the captivating view we had from this height. Our enjoyment came from having our time alone.

Ever since that first night Harry and I had alone in which I apologized, we had not had much time to ourselves. Either a nurse or a family member always seemed to interrupt at just the right time, but I knew that this situation was only temporary. However, when we sat down at the small, square table that sat just against the glass wall, we were alone. We talked about everything from careers to hometowns. He explained that he was currently working on a new song with John Mayer that was going to be proposed to Alex & Sierra, recent winners of the X-Factor USA. I told him that later this year, I was planning to return home to South Carolina for a brief period of time with Meri to plan for the wedding. What I did not entrust in him was that I wanted to be home- my true home- again before I got married. That was the one topic that never seemed to make its appearance. Marriage. His personality was bolder while mine was meeker, but I was grateful for that. It was nice to have someone that you could trust to stand up, state his opinion, and- if needed- be a protector. However, being meek made it uncomfortable for me to boldly bring up sensitive topics like marriage so it stayed enclosed in my mind. Other than the topics that remained untouched, these brief, hour-long “dates” were always my favorite parts of the day. But with every favorite comes a most favorite.

My 'most favorite' night was the Friday night, two weeks and four days after the accident, but the terror behind it was still fresh. We had finally developed our routine, and were beginning to become more accustomed to it. During the short, two-hour time I had left and should have been getting in my "rest", Harry texted me. "Planning a little surprise for you tonight. Wear a dress.", the short message read. A few quick seconds later, I received another which politely read, “Please.” I debated whether or not telling him I was not intending on going back to the apartment, but I decide against it, and drove back to my flat. While I was there, I take the opportunity to take a short shower and clean myself up. With a small smile on my face as my curling iron warmed up, I slip into the same dress I wore the night of his birthday in Cheshire, but this time, I left out the jacket, revealing the tattoo that was permanently engraved on my shoulder blade. A few delicate curls are put into my hair, pinning the front strand back with a small bobby pin before I depart once again, taking the short ten minute drive back to the hospital. When I arrived, Harry was laying in his hospital bed. His curly head rested back against the soft pillow, his dazed eyes were trained on the television, but as the wooden door squeaked open, his head turned, and our eyes met. His eyes quickly scan my appearance, and I courteously spin around, giving him the opportunity to recognize the dress.

“Look familiar?”, I question, giggling as I catch sight of his radiating smile that even showed through the pain of raising himself off of the bed. My flats pad against the clean tile flooring towards his bedside. His arms wrapped around me as his face lifted to greet mine. My fingers trailed through his hair, his eyelids drooping further closed with each run-through. “You look beautiful.”, he stated, his eyes barely managing to stay open. My smile reflects from my lips to his as I laugh, thanking him politely.

A few minutes later, we were on our usual trail down the hallways again, my hands gripping the handles of his wheelchair from behind. The usual smiles of the nurses, young and old, were in even more abundance than usual, but I returned each one without question. A few that were not even assigned to Harry’s room greeted him as if they had been acquaintances for years. The confusion built up with each and every nurse and doctor that passed by, carrying a knowing smile on their lips. Before we entered the usual room, my head rotated, taking one last glance back to see a few heads turn away at the last second. When we arrived, my heart swelled at the sight. He later explained to me that Niall and Meri, along with the help of a few of the nurses, had set it up at his request, but the thought was there. Our small table had been covered in a white, lace sheet. The familiar vase of roses from my apartment sat in the middle, but the old roses had been replaced by new ones. One plate and one hospital tray sat parallel from one another, and I hear Harry softly groan. “I can never get a break”, he whispers from below me, causing me to laugh as I push him towards his side of the table.

We secretly ate. Harry was not supposed to be eating any outside food, but I allowed him to eat my baked potato and half of my piece of chicken. A silence filled the room throughout the meal, and I hoped that he would give me an explanation towards why this surprise had been set up. However, those thoughts were pushed aside as Harry pushed himself away from the table and wheeled his wheelchair towards the middle of the dark room without a word, the wall divider playing as the background. He quickly signaled for me to follow. The tears came to my eyes as I slowly rise to my feet and watched as he brought his weight to his feet and rose out of his seat, slowly, with a grunt of frustration. His eyes closed in the pain that I knew he was experiencing as he stepped towards me, wrapping both arms around my waist, and brought me close. My hands instinctively lace over his shoulders and around his neck as we begin to sway back and forth to an imaginary song. But what really brought the day together, was when he leaned in close to my ear and whispered, "Do you know what today is?" My head shook against his shoulder after a moment of thinking.

"Today is the anniversary of the day we met back in London. ", he stated, slightly breathless,  and I allow a smile to spread across my face. All in the matter of half a second against his shoulder the entire memory replayed silently in my mind. Little did I know how much that one choice to leave the hotel would have so greatly affected me. The first time our eyes met was one moment that I would never be able to forget. I knew from the beginning that he had a wonderful heart just by his compassion towards someone that he did not know. My head gradually lifted off of his toned shoulder to see a smile hinting at his expression as well. This was the first time in weeks that he was having to look down at me.  

"Is it really?", I question out loud even though I already knew the answer. My eyes drop to the floor as I thought through the new information. My mind goes through my mental calendar just to double check his thinking, and the process only verifies the truth. The guilt slowly begins to seep in as I slowly come to the realization that he is right, and I had forgotten an important date in our past. I feel like beating my head against a wall for forgetting. However, before I can spot a wall close enough, he continues.

"It is. Thought you would have gotten rid of me by now, huh?", he asks, causing me to laugh as I shake my head. "I almost did, unintentionally.", I respond, bringing my fingers to the back of his head, twisting one of the first small curls my fingers found. A small breath is released as a half-hearted laugh as his lips rise into a boyish grin. "But being that close to losing you made me realize that I can't live without you.", I add on, truthfully and in all seriousness. His top row of teeth scrape over his bottom lip before a priceless smile overcomes his features. His arms extend around me, bringing me closer and tighter to him.

"You really mean that.", he says as more of a statement looking for my confirmation. I send him a nod as we continue to sway back and forth gently. I watch closely as his eyes shut momentarily before placing his head against the side of my head where he left a loving and sweet kiss. He lingered a moment longer to say, "Lauren, I want this day to be more than just the day we met."

My eyebrows furrow in confusion slightly as I look up at his expression for an explanation. A question is about to escape my lips as he whispers, "Turn around." Our movements stop mid-sway, and I hesitantly turn to face the opposite direction without removing my limbs. A large smile encompasses my entire expression as I find myself facing four, sharply-dressed men- three that I had not seen in ages. Their expressions remained emotionless, but I could pick out a laugh that was trying to make his way past Niall’s lips. My eyebrows rose as I scanned the line of boys, tucking my lips together awkwardly. I am about to speak up when something stops me. Liam and Louis began to hum a familiar tune softly as Zayn takes in a deep breath. Our eyes connect and a smile rises as his angelic voice echoes through the room with a song that I had heard before. “I swear”, he begins, allowing his voice to rise and drop to different elevations that only he could do, but maintaining his control.

“by the moon and the stars in the sky”, he continues, but the rest of the band-excluding Harry who’s presence could be felt behind me-joins in, harmonizing. Their voices meshed perfectly and beautifully and the room echoed in just the right way. The gears in my brain churned as I tried to recall where I had heard the song before.  “And I swear like the”, Zayn starts once again. “shadow that's by your side”, the rest of the boys chime in harmony.

 “I see the questions in your eyes, I know what's weighing on your mind”, they all chorus in unison. My arms cross carefully over my chest as a small smile begins to involuntarily spread as I simply enjoy the tune, my mind still searching for the title. “You can be sure I know my part”, Louis stars, the boys singing softly behind him. “‘Cause I stand beside you through the years”, Liam solos while the rest of them back him up softly. “You’ll only cry those happy tears”, Niall sings, sending me his signature smile through the words.

 “And though I make mistakes, I'll never break your heart”, they all come together to sing as one harmonized voice that left me amazed. “And I swear”, Zayn begins once again, captivating the room once again. “by the moon and the stars in the sky I'll be there, I swear like the shadow that's by your side, I'll be there for better or worse, till death do us part, I'll love you with every beat of my heart,  and I swear.”, they chorus. Chills are sent up and down my spine at the angelic voices that echoed through the room. My mind was so captivated that I almost jump when I feel Harry’s hand clasp around mine, twisting me to face him. His hands once again rest around my waist as mine lace back around his neck just as we had done previously. However, this time our music was not imaginary.

A glossy film dropped over my eyes as Harry’s raspy voice sang along to me for the first time in months. “I'll give you everything I can”, he slightly echoes them. My head once again finds his chest, our bodies swaying slightly in a soothing motion. “I’ll build your dreams with these two hands”, he breathlessly added, the pain of standing slowly draining his energy. My lips tuck together nervously as I lift my head to face Harry. His face had paled drastically, a thin layer of sweat layering his forehead. The pain he was in had to be excruciating, but he showed no outward signs other than what was involuntary. “We'll hang some memories on the wall, just the two of us are there, you won't have to ask if I still care, 'cause as time turns the page, my love won't ever age at all.” Harry’s voice lowered with each line, and he did not sing along with the rest of the song, but I hardly listened. My cheeks were burning with an ember glow as the song came to a gradual end. I am not exactly sure when the song ended or when the boys left. The words from the song captured every emotion that would come from a proposal, but my mind shot down the accusation considering Harry and I had already discussed picking out a ring at a later date. The only conclusion my mind could come up with was that this was just another one of his special surprises that he had planned.  I had already informed him that I was fine without a ring, but he had explained that he wanted me to have one. "Are you okay?", I question, bringing my arms down around his waist for support but disguising it as a hug. "Quit worrying about me. We have been worrying about me for the past week. This moment is about you.” However, I could not just quit worrying. In a small effort, I step away from him, snatching an unused napkin off of the table before returning to his embrace. My hand gently dabs the napkin against his forehead, wiping away most of the perspiration that had accumulated. He tried to maintain the serious atmosphere that the moment had required, but his usual grin broke free as his large hand grasped around my smaller wrist, snatching the napkin away from me and throwing it to nothing in particular behind him. My eyes lock on his, sending him an unamused glare, but it slowly fades to nothing as I begin to observe the breathless concentration in his eyes. He steps forward, and lightly leans his forehead against mine, his hands trailing down my arms and weaving through my fingers. A small smile spreads over my lips, my eyes closing at the contact and reopening at the dismissal.

Our eyes stay locked as he takes a deep breath and steps away, beginning to bend down. My eyes furrow in confusion as I watch his hand plant firmly on the hard ground beneath him, and his uninjured knee bends to make contact with the hard tile. As he slowly morphs into a kneeling position, I slowly begin to know what was occurring. My shivering hand reaches up, my fingertips barely touching the side of my forehead as if I were trying to hide my facial expression from any onlookers that I could feel were watching from the hallway by the far-away gasps I was able to pick up. As his green, smiling eyes raise up to meet mine, my other hand reaches up to meet the other, disguising my over joyous grin. I could tell that a large amount of the pain had diminished by the lack of stress on his limbs which allowed his smile to grow broader at my reaction. His head dips, letting out a deep chuckle as he brings his face back up to face mine. “Babe, there are truly so many things I could say right now, and I wish I had time to say them all. We could get married, have kids, grow old, and I still would not have enough time to tell you everything I want you to know. If I had all of the time in the world, I would spend every waking moment of it with you.” His speech pauses abruptly. I thought that he was simply trying to recollect his thoughts until I saw the tears forming in his eyes as he dropped his head again, and I knew that he couldn’t talk. His tears manage to magnetize mine, causing them to resurface.

“I still remember the first night that I truly realized that I loved you. It was the night that you lost your memory. I still think to this day that I suffered more than you did.”, he stated, reaching forward and reconnecting our hands. The familiar warmth that radiated off of my palm only made the grin on my face grow wider. “You put it perfectly when you said earlier that being that close to losing someone made you realize that you cannot live without them. I felt like I had truly lost the real you, and I knew in that moment that you were unlike any girl I had ever had feelings for before.” His hand lightly squeezes mine, tugging me towards him slightly. His eyes never lost contact with mine as he continued, “Being famous and traveling the world- it’s difficult. It’s hard to find a place- a home-that you feel comfortable and loved for who you are. But when I am with you, I feel at home.” One hand departed from his to push back a small strand of hair that had managed to fall before returning to its original position.

“And I know that I am jumping around, but like I said earlier, there are so many words that I wish I could squeeze into this small time.”, he explains, taking a deep breath, letting out a small, breathy  laugh as his head nervously drops once again. His big grin stays present as he once again meets my eyes, “But putting all of these things together just brings me back to one thing every time. I can’t live without you.”, he states, our smiles feeding off of one another. My excitement came from what I knew was coming, and his came from where he knew he was leading both of us. His right hand left mine, reaching into the seat he had been sitting in at the table, and snatching up a small, red velvet box. My jaw dropped as I realized that it had been the same ring I had been presented with weeks ago. “I guess what I am trying to say is- Lauren, will you marry me?” My hands leave his, reaching to the back of my head as I laugh out, the happiness not being able to be contained any longer. All doubts that had captivated my mind earlier were gone, and I found myself being thankful that I had not said yes previously, because we would not be where we are. If I would have said yes, I would have probably seriously doubted whether or not I made the right decision. But right here, right now, I knew I was making the right decision by nodding my head, quickly. I honestly felt like I could not say yes fast enough.

Harry’s POV

My knee stays planted on the ground, knowing that standing would only bring pain to take away the joy of the moment. My breathing stopped momentarily as I simply experienced her head shake up and down. The only thing that crossed my mind was finally. The world seemed to come to a complete stop, starting once again as my breathing began again. A piece of me had been missing for so long, and I did not know what it was until now as I felt her arms embrace me, snapping me out of my trance. She was finally mine, and only mine. Looking back at our first meeting in London, so many things could have warped our chances of meeting, but I am very grateful that it did happen. Looking back at that moment, little did I know that I had run into my future wife. My arms follow hers’, bringing her even closer to me as if I were trying to hold onto the moment that may fade away like a dream at any minute. By her excitement, I knew she was experiencing the same emotions I was. Her beaming, familiar smile left me speechless as a loud round of applause sounded from behind us, leaving the both of us startled. Lauren’s head turned as mine shifted to see a large crowd of nurses, doctors, friends, and family had filled the other half of the room, cheering.

Normally, I would have been more embarrassed that these people had experienced my open heart, but I felt no shame. No regrets. Only relief. Relief that I finally had this girl to call mine. Finally.

Hello my friends!!!!!!!!!!!

#HaurenForever

So, many of you may be thinking that this is the end to the book, which technically it is!!!! (which breaks my heart) BUT THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT IF YOU CONTINUE TO SCROLL DOWN, THERE IS AN EPILOGUE! Anyways, please vote and comment, and let me know what you thought of the chapter please!!!!!!!!

QOTD: Favorite member of Little Mix and why?

LOVE YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!

XOXOXOXOXOXO,

~Annalyce

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

928 2 21
"Okay Hanna. This is your new life. You don’t have to worry about Jean or the horrible past you had to go through. But Hanna, what ever you do, just...
West Pub By Tessa

Fanfiction

419 2 8
1.5K 2 32
Friendships and relationships are constantly changing for Jennifer. People mean different things to her at different times. But in the end, everyone...
253K 1.6K 57
When two people belonging to completely different lives are brought together, things change drastically. Challenges arise, and people who you trust a...